2008 SBS questions... 07-04-10

I am trying to get a 2008 sbs running as efficiently as I can & was
wondering about a couple of things.
1) I know it wants to be the DHCP server on a network, but what about
for wireless clients? I have a wireless sonicwall TZ-170 for wireless
laptops to connect to. They really don't need network access, just
internet, so can I leave this running, as long as the addresses it
hands out aren't in my same network?
2) Although the bought an SBS, the customer is not & probably won't be
running exchange for a while. Can I remove exchange all together? I
really see no reason to install exchange SP2, either, for that
matter.
3) Can I remove/disable ipV6?
Thanks-
0
Mikey

1.) Yes.
2.) I would recommend installing it now, regardless, and updating as
appropriate, since trying to install later will be a pain. And I think the
customer would be foolish not to use the Exchange. But that's between you
and the customer.
3.) Absolutely NOT. (and it doesn't make you more secure, regardless of what
you've read.) Uninstalling IPv6 will break SBS. Full stop.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Mikey" <texan767@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to get a 2008 sbs running as efficiently as I can & was
> wondering about a couple of things.
> 1) I know it wants to be the DHCP server on a network, but what about
> for wireless clients? I have a wireless sonicwall TZ-170 for wireless
> laptops to connect to. They really don't need network access, just
> internet, so can I leave this running, as long as the addresses it
> hands out aren't in my same network?
> 2) Although the bought an SBS, the customer is not & probably won't be
> running exchange for a while. Can I remove exchange all together? I
> really see no reason to install exchange SP2, either, for that
> matter.
> 3) Can I remove/disable ipV6?
> Thanks-

0
Charlie
7/4/2010 7:35:09 PM
Along with Charlie's thoughts

On the Exchange.
Would the client like to be notified on how the backups are doing or the
over all status of the server is doing?

Then yes Leave Exchange.

Mikey
I would also wonder why the client doesn't want.

Email Backed up in a central location.
(If they are using POP3 Their PC dies their email and contacts die with it.)
Spam Filtering by IMF and RBL's
Sharing Email and Contacts in Public Folders
Ability to Connect Smart Phones and iPhones.
The Ability To Share Contacts, Folders, Send as another person and all the
other features of Exchange 2007 (too Numerous to mention here.)

Is there a reason they don't want to increase productivity and reliability
in their mail?
Heck for most businesses' just the ability of the Admin to See others
Calendars is enough to move them to use Exchange.

Reason I ask, is because I'm always intrigued why people don't want Cool and
productive products that make life easier more productive, and they've
already paid for it?

It's like buying a car and never driving it.. IMO
Are they using a Hosted Exchange?

Russ

--
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in message
> 1.) Yes.
> 2.) I would recommend installing it now, regardless, and updating as
> appropriate, since trying to install later will be a pain. And I think the
> customer would be foolish not to use the Exchange. But that's between you
> and the customer.
> 3.) Absolutely NOT. (and it doesn't make you more secure, regardless of
> what you've read.) Uninstalling IPv6 will break SBS. Full stop.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Mikey" <texan767@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am trying to get a 2008 sbs running as efficiently as I can & was
>> wondering about a couple of things.
>> 1) I know it wants to be the DHCP server on a network, but what about
>> for wireless clients? I have a wireless sonicwall TZ-170 for wireless
>> laptops to connect to. They really don't need network access, just
>> internet, so can I leave this running, as long as the addresses it
>> hands out aren't in my same network?
>> 2) Although the bought an SBS, the customer is not & probably won't be
>> running exchange for a while. Can I remove exchange all together? I
>> really see no reason to install exchange SP2, either, for that
>> matter.
>> 3) Can I remove/disable ipV6?
>> Thanks-

0
Russ
7/5/2010 2:18:15 AM
Since you mentioned Efficiently
other than the Suggestions Charlie Mentioned which were Spot ON

You can tweak SQL Memory usage to use lower.
A typical SBS2008 STANDARD with AV can run at 6GB easily
(I recommend 8 GB For a Standard Min with no additional tools on it.)

You can always buy more memory...
Russ

--
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
Remote Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
Easy Redirect to Microsoft's New SBS Public Forum - www.SBSRepair.com

"Mikey" <texan767@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to get a 2008 sbs running as efficiently as I can & was
> wondering about a couple of things.
> 1) I know it wants to be the DHCP server on a network, but what about
> for wireless clients? I have a wireless sonicwall TZ-170 for wireless
> laptops to connect to. They really don't need network access, just
> internet, so can I leave this running, as long as the addresses it
> hands out aren't in my same network?
> 2) Although the bought an SBS, the customer is not & probably won't be
> running exchange for a while. Can I remove exchange all together? I
> really see no reason to install exchange SP2, either, for that
> matter.
> 3) Can I remove/disable ipV6?
> Thanks-

0
Russ

restoring GP 10.0 32-bit into GP 10.0 64-bit
Hello: We are going to install GP 8.0 on a 32-bit server in-house and restore a client's 8.0 data into these SQL databases. Pretty cut and dry. Next, we will upgrade this in-house server from 8.0 to 10.0. Continuing, we will install GP 10.0 on the client's new 64-bit server. Finally, we will restore the upgraded 10.0 databases from our in-house 32-bit server to the client's 64-bit server. Here's the question. Is there anything "wrong", from a technical standpoint, in restoring SQL databases from a 32-bit environment into a 64-bit environment? Thanks! chil...

Access 97 Runtime question
We are using Access 97 runtime for some of our staff. I noticed today that in reports if they right mouse click, they don't get a shortcut menu. I want them to be able to Export the report they are viewing. Would Access 2003 runtime have the shortcut menu? Thanks Kelvin "Kelvin Beaton" <kelvin dot beaton at mccsa dot c o m> wrote in message news:uiQA0i7zHHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > We are using Access 97 runtime for some of our staff. > I noticed today that in reports if they right mouse click, they don't get > a shortcut menu. I want them to be...

Optimiztion question
I was looking at MSDN on optimizing queries (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998577.aspx) and am unclear as to why a foreign key relationship affects the query in this case. At the beginning of the article it gives an example and starts out by saying: The sample screen shot in Figure 14.2 shows an execution plan that accesses only one table, although two tables are included in a join in the query. Because there is a declared foreign key relationship between the authors table and the titleauthor table, and the au_id column in the titleauthor table is not allowed to b...

Entourage 2008 DAILY calendar crashes once I hit the print button
Every time I attempt to print my DAILY calendar it crashes. The weekly calendar prints okay. I've run Repair Permissions and restarted Entourage again and again. Below is the Error Report I receive whenever I try to print daily calendar: Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0 Error Signature: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Date/Time: 2010-03-14 14:12:44 -0400 Application Name: Microsoft Entourage Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Entourage Application Signature: OPIM Application Version: 12.2.4.100205 Crashed Module Name: Microsoft Entourage Crashed Module Version: 12...

GP 10 and Terminial Server 2008
My customer is having issues with GP 10 sp4 and Terminal Server 2008. Whenever they are in one of the Navigation panes (Purchasing) and they choose an option in the navigation Pane other than the PURCHASING (ie VENDORS) they are kicked out of GP. Has anyone come across this? ...

Test 04-05-07
Test -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ ...

MsgBox 11-24-07
When a report is open I have a MsgBox which also opens, asking "would you like to print this document". If the operator Clicks on "no", then the MsgBox disappears, if they Click on "Yes" another MsgBox opens asking "how many copies would you like". is there a way to add field to this MsgBox into which the user can input a number of copies they would like, and then for it to produce the correct number. Cheers Steve You may want to try creating a pop-up form instead of a msgbox for this. In the macro or vba where you currenlty have your MsgBox, ...

Sales for Outlook Installation 10-24-05
I'm having trouble installing CRM sales for outlook. The installation errors literally on the point of finishing. The message is "Setup has failed because of an error. Setup was unable to install the .msi file for microsoft crm sales for outlook". I have searched the knowledge base and newsgroups to find any info on this matter but at the moment I have struggled to find any signifcant information. The pc used is running XP pro SP2. Thanks for any assistance in advance ...

SBS 2008 RWW Internal web site access
I have a strange issue. I have a client who has four laptops on an SBS 2008 domain. Three are windows 7 one is XP. All work great inside the office. However, when any of the users attempt to connect to the internal website through RWW on the outside they get a page cannot be displayed message. I verified that port 987 is open on the firewall. Using computers at our location or any other computer, from any other site not associated with their domain, can connect successfully to RWW and the internal web site. I’ve verified that the certificate is installed on their computers. I ver...

Macros/Signatures Question
I have an Excel Workbook that I created for a PC Order Form. I set it up to only make certain rows visible based on the Machine Model that they choose. I digital signed the Worksheets and exported the Digital Signature Certificate and installed it on the User’s PCs. The code works great. The user opens the Workbook and it runs the Macros with no problem. The problem I have is when the user goes to save the Workbook. They get an error that “Excel can not sign VBA macros when saving to this file format. Do you want to remove the digital signature and continue saving this workbook?”...

installing GP 10.0 on workstations only
Hello: I understand that you can install GP 10.0 and forego installation of the application on the server. If you choose to go that route, then how do you path to SQL during the first-time run of GP Utilities when you create the company databases? I mean, if you install GP on the first workstation without installing GP on the server at all, you have to tell GP the path to the database (in the Database Setup window). Can you use UNC pathing in that window or do you have to use mapped drives? Also, what sort of security do you need to create the databases from the workstation? Domai...

Macro Question #10
Hi, I am working with a text file that I imported into Excel. It is a transactional report of sales by customer. The data will have the customer number and name spread out over three cells. What I want to do is to create a macro that will contatenate all three cell and then perform a paste special and paste them into another cell in another column. Since the number of transactions by customer can vary the customer name and number can appear anywhere on the page. I created a macro to do this using the first customer which appears in cell B5 through D5. The next customer appears...

document elements (et. al.) toolbar in Word 2008
I may be in the minority here, but I happen to love the Ribbon UI on the PC version. It can collapse down to nothing when needed, and expand out (and even be customized I hear in 2010). That's on the PC. On the Mac I want a Mac-like UI. The Document Elements bar is so out to planet Jupiter on both functionality and as an accelerator into functions writers need most that it's laughable it made it into a release. (I'd much rather have a Mac ribbon that the Document Elements toolbar since at least the ribbon exposes USEFUL functions.) I mean, really =97 how many UPS or Del Mon...

Setup Outlook Anywhere in Entourage 2008 WSE
One of my user got Entourage 2008 WSE and would like to setup Outlook Anywhere on it. It works fine once he get a VPN connection but it doesn't work without VPN connection. Does anyone know how to setup Outlook Anywhere in Entourage 2008 WSE? Please advise me how I can setup Entourage 2008 WSE. Thanks in advance. On 1/24/10 1:35 PM, Cheongseo wrote: > One of my user got Entourage 2008 WSE and would like to setup Outlook > Anywhere on it. > It works fine once he get a VPN connection but it doesn't work without VPN > connection. > Does anyone know how ...

Extender problem with GP 10
Hi all, I setup a Dynamics GP 10 system for a customer. The system is used from HRM staff. I used Extender to add a number of extender windows and detail windows. On the Sever all users can access the extender windows but when they login on a separate terminal server (with a client installation) the Extender windows are not accessible. Only the Extender Detail Windows can be seen. When trying to go to the windows all users including sa get the following message: "Not all required fields have been entered for the window <window name>." I went in the extender and opened ...

Visual Studio 2008 crashes on C# unhandled exception
I just got a new box running Windows 7 64 bit Home premium. And I've installed VS 2008 with the feature pack and service pack. When I was making so changes to an existing C# forms application, I managed to generate an unhandled exception for a system argument. This totally locked up Visual Studio - I got the dialog asking me to debug or continue and then total freeze. I had to kill VS with the task manager. I can't reproduce this on a Vista 32 bit system or an XP 32 bit system. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.... Mike MP wrote: > I just got a new box runn...

Simple IMAP question
Hi, How do I enable shared calendar with free/busy information through IMAP ? When I add the "calendar" folder in IMAP it displays as a mail folder, not a calendar. Pierrot Is this calendar a mailbox or public folder? Why are you using IMAP instead of MAPI? MAPI is much more feature complete as it applies to this sort of thing. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Pierrot Robert" <mcthepro@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23NzXwrV6GHA.4352@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > How do I...

Filtering question
Is there a way to expand the filter option so that it shows 1 row (or more), both above and below any row that contains the value I am looking for? Data|filter|autofilter examines each cell/row on its own. Maybe you can put the key value for each group on the rows you want. Then filter by that column. richzip wrote: > > Is there a way to expand the filter option so that it shows 1 row (or more), > both above and below any row that contains the value I am looking for? -- Dave Peterson ...

Exchange 2003 Question??
Dear all, I would like to know if there is an upgrade path from Exchange 2003 Standard Edition with SA to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition with SA? Thank you. Regards, Kueh. This might help http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170280 -- Santhosh Sivarajan MCSE(W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),CCNA,Network+ "KA Kueh" <kka@ksm.com.my> wrote in message news:exVKwgOKEHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Dear all, > > I would like to know if there is an upgrade path from Exchange 2003 Standard > Edition with SA to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition wit...

question about leaving messages on server
My husband and I have 1 POP mail account. I am accessing it from a computer in Virginia, where I'm staying with relatives. He is accessing the same account from California. I have my Outlook set up to keep messages on the server, but to delete them after 1 day (so that he will still get the messages, but the server won't get clogged). His email program, Eudora, is set up so the messages will be deleted from the server after he downloads them. Is there a chance I won't get some messages because he has his computer set up that way? (He downloads it 1st, then it gets deleted off serv...

Questions on migration from VS2005 to VS2010
Hi folks, As is the case every couple of years, I go through a nerve-wracking transition to a new development environment. The thing is, I've become really comfortable with VS2005, and our small team has a very simple and effective approach to development. I am nervous that VS2010 will negatively effect our productivity; but don't want to get too "far behind" toolset versions. So, that being said, I wanted to ask a few questions on what to expect when moving from VS2005 to VS2010 on an upcoming project. Your feedback is highly appreciated. Question...

New to Money 2006
I was using Money 2004 and upgraded it to 2006 last night (God only knows, why :)). I started to hate the idea of Passport and Web Publishing my account details and so did not choose the Passport option. I was able to install with regular Money stand alone password and still update all my accounts by downloading them from the respective financial institutions (as I used to do with 2004). The problem is with MBNA America. I want to download the credit card transactions. But the online setup process is asking me for passport setup. I looked at the description of this bank on Microsoft site...

upload form problem / server question
www.icingpictures.co.uk / win xp / frontpage 2003 Want to create a form with upload file form field - i read on this forum that the server type i use is important - it should be a windows type server with frontpage extensions - i currently use a linux server with front page extensions - do i need to change to a windows server? Thanks for taking a looka t my question. Joyce Yes, you must have a Windows Server, just like you stated you read. -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "threademporium" <threademporiu...

Crm 3.0 11-09-07
I have one server windows 2003 standard r2 sp2 With: _Crm 3.0 _Wsus 3.0 I first installed CRM 3.0 (databases point on another server) and after I installed Wsus 3.0 with standard installation (comprehensive SQL 2005 espress edition) Now when I go to http://nameserver:5555 all open correctly but not report folder. When I click report folder I have an error (there is an error please contact your system administrator). I try to go to http://nameserver/serverreports but there isn't a web page (IIS say impossible find page). Have Wsus delete iis report configuration? How I can restore t...

Form Sizing 08-06-07
-- Thanks David G Albury, Australia DoCmd.Maximize ...