2008 branch with sbs2003 office - help

I will be installing a 2008 Server into a Branch where the main office has a
SBS2003 Standard edition server R2.  I have already setup the IPSec VPN
Tunnel between branch and office and a PC at the Branch can now ping the
office network PC's due to the SBSserver being installed as a single network
card install.... and this now works absolutely fine....so all I need to do
now I believe is to add the 2008 server while at the office to the SBS2003
network as a Secondary domain controller using the ADPREP tool and then take
it off site to the Branch....This all sounds too easy......so please can
someone give me the full low down on what else is required.  What I am trying
to achieve is a seemless connection between sites to provide access to the
SBS2003 shares and exchange if possible, although no exchange is installed on
the Branch server.    Any help you can offer is much appreciated.
I have installed many SBSservers and Windows Servers but never yet gone
onto this step....so please help if you can.

Stuarts wrote:
> I will be installing a 2008 Server into a Branch where the main
> office has a SBS2003 Standard edition server R2.  I have already
> setup the IPSec VPN Tunnel between branch and office and a PC at the
> Branch can now ping the office network PC's due to the SBSserver
> being installed as a single network card install.... and this now
> works absolutely fine....so all I need to do now I believe is to add
> the 2008 server while at the office to the SBS2003 network as a
> Secondary domain controller using the ADPREP tool and then take it
> off site to the Branch....This all sounds too easy......so please can
> someone give me the full low down on what else is required.  What I
> am trying to achieve is a seemless connection between sites to
> provide access to the SBS2003 shares and exchange if possible,
> although no exchange is installed on the Branch server.    Any help
> you can offer is much appreciated.
> I have installed many SBSservers and Windows Servers but never yet
> gone
> onto this step....so please help if you can.

Adprep upgrades the schema to (2008 v44, or 2008R2 v47) allowing for newer
OS versions of domain controllers. DCPROMO and adding the AD Directory
Services role enable the second server as a domain controller. These are
seperate processes.

I'm not sure what you expect from the branch office domain controller you
are proposing. If what your object is to provide seemeless connection
between the sites (SBS2003 shares and Exchange) the remote DC isn't really
going to do all that much for you. DC's provide authentication and in AD,
DNS.  - Without connectivity to the SBS site, remote users won't be able to
authentication, resolve names (DNS), access SBS shares, or access Exchange.
Adding a remote AD Domain Controller only provides remote users with the
first two, not the last two.

--
/kj

0
kj

Excel 97 VBA Help File

Exchange in SBS2003 R2

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

Help, I cannot Save!

Delegates for SBS2003 Exchange

Help Required

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Add PowerPoint 2007 to Office Basic

Need HELP! for Linking data

Help with Registration

Help about numeric type field. Thanks.

HELP! Outlook POP3 problem(s)

Spam Filtering HELP
I recently started a new job, and discovered after day one, that I had inharited a spam mess. Now the previous admin ad installed a Symantic Spam Server Prox which in my opinion, was a complete waste of money as it does not allow for blocking IP addresses. Now here is the question; I am running Exchange 2003, and am looking at setting up the Conection Filter under Message Delivery to block messages based on IP address. The problem is that when I save the IPs to be blocked, I get a message stating that the Connection filter "has to be enabled manually through the specific SMTP virtual serv...

Need macro help to close excel

Help with simple(?) VBA function

If Then Help!!!!
Hi! I'm stuck. I have a working macro but it needs a small tweek. The macro executes a find statement and performs calculations from the find to the end of the column. The problem is when nothing is found. I need an if statement or suggestion on how to tell it to skip the calculations if there is nothing found. This is what I have so far(with no if's): Cells.Find(What:="RIM", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas _ , LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _ MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate Selection.End(xlToRi...

Office 2007 Templates & Themes
Is there anyway the content for Office 2007 at the MS Office web site could be made available to Office:Mac users. Currently need to have OGA validation via ActiveX control or from Office for Windows programs. Surely Mac users could be given access! Dave We have asked that question. We don't have an answer yet (at least, it wasn't "No", that would have been quick!). They are trying to work out how to let us in without letting in all the people using the competitor products. I think they will set up a mirror on the MacTopia site that will allow us to reach the ones tha...

Odd e-mail duplication problem

mfc project not compile in visual studio 2008
I made a mfc project using wizard in visual studio 2008 and it didn`t compile,. i didn`t add anything, just made it as it should be. i tried changing _WIN32_WINNT and WINVER 0x0600 but it just resulted in another errors. i also reinstalled my vs 2008, but it didn`t help. For more informations i have win xp sp2 and freshly installed microsoft visual studio 2008 in a default way. errors: 1>stdafx.cpp 1>c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\atlmfc\include\winnt.h(3019) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'ContextRecord' 1>c:\progr...