Windows 2008 - Access dennied to c:\Users\<user name>\Local Settings\History

Hi,

I am an admin in windows 2008 server.  However, I am not able to
access the
c:\Users\<user name>\Local Settings\History

Anyone knows how to change the settings so I can access the folder?

Thank you,

0
Jack

"Jack Black" <gwklocker01@gmail.com> said this in news item
> Hi,
>
> I am an admin in windows 2008 server.  However, I am not able to
> access the
> c:\Users\<user name>\Local Settings\History
>
> Anyone knows how to change the settings so I can access the folder?
>
> Thank you,

You could seize ownership of the folder.

0
Pegasus
12/29/2009 7:13:15 AM
On Dec 28, 9:13=A0pm, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> "Jack Black" <gwklocke...@gmail.com> said this in news itemnews:60b578d9-=
ce73-4ab8-851b-9039ea6cfee5@n16g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

> > Hi,
>
> > I am an admin in windows 2008 server. =A0However, I am not able to
> > access the
> > c:\Users\<user name>\Local Settings\History
>
> > Anyone knows how to change the settings so I can access the folder?
>
> > Thank you,
>
> You could seize ownership of the folder.

Hi Pegasus,

After I took over the ownership of entire folder, it still tell me
"access dennied".  Any guess?

Thank you,
0
Jack
12/29/2009 7:22:07 PM

> On Dec 28, 9:13 pm, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> "Jack Black" <gwklocke...@gmail.com> said this in news
>> itemnews:60b578d9-ce73-4ab8-851b-9039ea6cfee5@n16g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> > Hi,
>>
>> > I am an admin in windows 2008 server.  However, I am not able to
>> > access the
>> > c:\Users\<user name>\Local Settings\History
>>
>> > Anyone knows how to change the settings so I can access the folder?
>>
>> > Thank you,
>>
>> You could seize ownership of the folder.
>
> Hi Pegasus,
>
> After I took over the ownership of entire folder, it still tell me
> "access dennied".  Any guess?
>
> Thank you,

I would get an independent confirmation that you're really the owner. Save
the code below as GetOwner.vbs, then run it from a Command Prompt to see for
yourself.

if WScript.Arguments.count <> 1 Then Error "Usage: GetOwner ""Name of File
or Folder"""
sItem = WScript.Arguments(0)
If Not oFSO.FolderExists(sItem) _
And Not oFSO.FileExists(sItem) _
Then Error "Error: Cannot locate the file or folder """ & sItem & """"

if right(sItem, 1) = "\" then sItem = Left(sItem, Len(sItem) - 1)
sItem = Replace(sItem, "\", "\\")
sItem = "'" & Replace(sItem, "'", "\'") & "'"

Set oWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:")
Set cSettings = oWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * " _
& " From Win32_LogicalFileSecuritySetting where path = " & sItem)

For Each oItem In cSettings
  iRet = oItem.GetSecurityDescriptor(oSD)
  If iRet = 0 Then
    WScript.echo "Owner=" & oSD.Owner.Name
  Else
    WScript.echo "Owner not found"
  End If
Next

Sub Error (sMsg)
  WScript.Echo sMsg
  WScript.Quit 9
End Sub

0
Pegasus
12/29/2009 8:31:23 PM
On Dec 29, 10:31=A0am, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> "Jack Black" <gwklocke...@gmail.com> said this in news itemnews:2385dd84-=
3043-40e0-92bc-0ec6458ecd27@r5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...

> > On Dec 28, 9:13 pm, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> "Jack Black" <gwklocke...@gmail.com> said this in news
> >> itemnews:60b578d9-ce73-4ab8-851b-9039ea6cfee5@n16g2000yqm.googlegroups=
..com...

> >> You could seize ownership of the folder.
>
> > Hi Pegasus,
>
> > After I took over the ownership of entire folder, it still tell me
> > "access dennied". =A0Any guess?
>
> > Thank you,
>
> I would get an independent confirmation that you're really the owner. Sav=
> the code below as GetOwner.vbs, then run it from a Command Prompt to see =
for
> yourself.
>
> Set oFSO =3D CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> if WScript.Arguments.count <> 1 Then Error "Usage: GetOwner ""Name of Fil=
> or Folder"""
> sItem =3D WScript.Arguments(0)
> If Not oFSO.FolderExists(sItem) _
> And Not oFSO.FileExists(sItem) _
> Then Error "Error: Cannot locate the file or folder """ & sItem & """"
>
> if right(sItem, 1) =3D "\" then sItem =3D Left(sItem, Len(sItem) - 1)
> sItem =3D Replace(sItem, "\", "\\")
> sItem =3D "'" & Replace(sItem, "'", "\'") & "'"
>
> Set oWMIService =3D GetObject("winmgmts:")
> Set cSettings =3D oWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * " _
> & " From Win32_LogicalFileSecuritySetting where path =3D " & sItem)
>
> For Each oItem In cSettings
> =A0 iRet =3D oItem.GetSecurityDescriptor(oSD)
> =A0 If iRet =3D 0 Then
> =A0 =A0 WScript.echo "Owner=3D" & oSD.Owner.Name
> =A0 Else
> =A0 =A0 WScript.echo "Owner not found"
> =A0 End If
> Next
>
> Sub Error (sMsg)
> =A0 WScript.Echo sMsg
> =A0 WScript.Quit 9
> End Sub- Hide quoted text -

Hi Pegasus,

Thanks for script!  It works.  I found out that the folder that I
tried to  access is just a link folder, and  I was able to find the
actual folder under DOS prompt.  I am running a win 2008 terminal
server.  What I am trying to do is to find out what got changed before
and after IE is ran.  I setup a RemoteApp to run IE on the win 2008
ternianl server.  However, the RemoteApp IE is not fully working
unless the user remote desktop into the win 2008 terminal server and
runs IE once.  Then next time when user runs the RemoteApp IE, the
RemoteApp IE will be fully functional.  I wonder if you have any tool
suggestion that I should use or some place that I should check on this
problem?

Thank you for your help!
0
Jack
12/30/2009 1:39:42 AM

> On Dec 29, 10:31 am, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> "Jack Black" <gwklocke...@gmail.com> said this in news
>> itemnews:2385dd84-3043-40e0-92bc-0ec6458ecd27@r5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...

>> > Hi Pegasus,
>>
>> > After I took over the ownership of entire folder, it still tell me
>> > "access dennied".  Any guess?
>>
>> > Thank you,
>>
>> I would get an independent confirmation that you're really the owner.
>> Save
>> the code below as GetOwner.vbs, then run it from a Command Prompt to see
>> for
>> yourself.
>>
>> Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
>> if WScript.Arguments.count <> 1 Then Error "Usage: GetOwner ""Name of
>> File
>> or Folder"""
>> sItem = WScript.Arguments(0)
>> If Not oFSO.FolderExists(sItem) _
>> And Not oFSO.FileExists(sItem) _
>> Then Error "Error: Cannot locate the file or folder """ & sItem & """"
>>
>> if right(sItem, 1) = "\" then sItem = Left(sItem, Len(sItem) - 1)
>> sItem = Replace(sItem, "\", "\\")
>> sItem = "'" & Replace(sItem, "'", "\'") & "'"
>>
>> Set oWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:")
>> Set cSettings = oWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * " _
>> & " From Win32_LogicalFileSecuritySetting where path = " & sItem)
>>
>> For Each oItem In cSettings
>>   iRet = oItem.GetSecurityDescriptor(oSD)
>>   If iRet = 0 Then
>>     WScript.echo "Owner=" & oSD.Owner.Name
>>   Else
>>     WScript.echo "Owner not found"
>>   End If
>> Next
>>
>> Sub Error (sMsg)
>>   WScript.Echo sMsg
>>   WScript.Quit 9
>> End Sub- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Pegasus,
>
> Thanks for script!  It works.  I found out that the folder that I
> tried to  access is just a link folder, and  I was able to find the
> actual folder under DOS prompt.  I am running a win 2008 terminal
> server.  What I am trying to do is to find out what got changed before
> and after IE is ran.  I setup a RemoteApp to run IE on the win 2008
> ternianl server.  However, the RemoteApp IE is not fully working
> unless the user remote desktop into the win 2008 terminal server and
> runs IE once.  Then next time when user runs the RemoteApp IE, the
> RemoteApp IE will be fully functional.  I wonder if you have any tool
> suggestion that I should use or some place that I should check on this
> problem?
>
> Thank you for your help!

Sorry, can't help you there. This is completely outside my field of
experience.

0
Pegasus

Outlook2002
Can I format Outlook2002's email so that every time I click on Send, the new email page opens with a specific text in the Subject line? I want to set up all the computers in my office so that every time a member of staff sends an email, the company's name appears first in the subject line. This way, even if the recepient doesn't recognize the sender's name, they will see what company it's coming from and won't delete it as a spam! Many thanks. DM ...

excel 2000 doc looks for pages in the local drive b4 opening
My Excel doc is looking for pages of the doc in my local drive b4 opening. I have hit cancel for every page it does not find and then it opens. Other excel docs open with no prob. Doc in question was created by someone else. Any suggestions please? I'm guessing you have links to workbooks on your local drive that can't be found. You're job will be to figure out if you can destroy the links or if you should find the real location and use that. There's an option in Tools|Options|Edit tab that allows you to be prompted if excel should go off and try to update the links (check t...

find the latest date in access 2007
hi there! I'm a bit stressed trying to get this sorted by I just cant! My question is the following. I have a database of three tables: Dis_cat, admission and patient. The Dis_cate table has only two categories : dead and alive. I just have to find out who was the last patient to die. I have this code in access: SELECT Dis_cat.category, Admision.outdate, Patient.pname FROM Patient INNER JOIN (Admision INNER JOIN Dis_cat ON Admision.dischno = Dis_cat.dischno) ON Patient.nhsno = Admision.nhsno WHERE (((Dis_cat.category)="dead")); But I cant find the latest date. I...

Cannot see Access querry in Microsoft word
I cannot access a Microsoft Access querry when I try to do a mail merge in Microsoft Word. (Microsoft Office 2003) See response in the mailmerge fields newsgroup -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Guy Delaney" <delaney@unitedsolution.net> wrote in message news:e7ccT6hnKHA.5700@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I cannot access a Microsoft Access querry when I try to do a mail merge in > Microso...

Using Access Reports in other EXE file
Hello I'd like to use access reports from any access version XP, 2000 or 97; because of the easy way to build such reports. Have you ever found or built any solutions permitting to reuse such access reports objects in other exe files, developped in Visual Basic, Visual Studio or even Delphi.... Thanks a lot for your suggestions Hi. Most programming languages support launching an executable, so the Snapshot Viewer executable would be a good choice for viewing reports exported from Access as Snapshot (*.SNP) files. Access would not need to be installed on the computer in order to view ...

Public Folder access
How can i change it so an account i'm using for exchsync has owner privelages on the All Public Folders root on Exchange 5.5? Many thanks, Phill H. A problem with PF permissions here is the lack of granularity and the ability to append rather than overwrite. You would need to use some 3rd party tools to add the permission with granlarity. Aelita and I think NetIQ have such tools. >-----Original Message----- > How can i change it so an account i'm using for exchsync has owner privelages on the All Public Folders root on Exchange 5.5? > > Many thanks, > >Phil...

Set backcolor in a StatusBar ?
I've googled around a bit but couldn't find anything. Is there a way to set the BackColor of a panel in a StatusBar? Martin wrote: > I've googled around a bit but couldn't find anything. > Is there a way to set the BackColor of a panel in a StatusBar? If you're willing to use a picturebox... I don't remember where I downloaded this so unfortunately I can't give credit to the author. Option Explicit Private Declare Function SetParent Lib "user32" (ByVal hWndChild As _ Long, ByVal hWndNewParent As Long) As Long Private Declare Fun...

How can I compare 2 sets of Social Security #'s and Identify dupes
I'm sure this can't be that difficult but for some reason it's just not working for me. I have 2 lists of social security numbers that I need to compare and pull out duplicates. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Use a formula of =IF(COUNTIF(A:A,B1)<>0,"Duplicate","") in C1, and copy down -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "vwwolfe" <vwwolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94DDF32D-4790-40E4-87D0-6B52BF406587@microsoft.com... > I'm sure this can't be ...

Set FROM field default > Replying to messages in somebody else's mailbox in Outlook 2k3 + exchange 2k3
Scenrio...... I have exchange server running with 1 main mail account where fresh emails come in from customers eg info@mycompany.com now this mailbox is opened by every users account so in the folder view they see their own account lets say dave@mycompany.com and the main info one...... dave inbox sent items outbox info inbox sent items outbox All fine and dandy and emails are working in and out. But if "Dave" for instance wants to answer an email int he info accounts inbox he must select his name in the "from" field everytime (I know I can al...

Outlook Web Access Problem
Hi All, Heres short version of my recent post. On accessing my Exchange Server Outloook Web Access from internet through a firewall from Windows 2000 client, I am unable to login and after 3 tries get "Error: Access is denied". Please refer to my recent post with subject for explanation to question "OWA Access Is Denied for Win2k Users on internet" Thank You, rawCoder Havent seen the other posts, but this is always a good place to start: E200x: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326303 5.5: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

Public Folder client access permissions
Hi, I am unable to view MAPI permissions when i click client permissions from Public folder properties. The permissions I see instead is of Windows 2003 format... I want to view permissions in MAPI format. I am using ESM > Folders > Public Folder tree branch to assign permissions. ref url http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/insider/pubfolderpermissions.mspx#EME if you see in the above URL, there are two windows, one is MAPI permissions other is Windows 2000 permissions..I want MAPI one..that is easier.. Your reference refers to different types of Public Fol...

convert sql file to access
Is there any way i can convert a sql file (downloaded as a backup from an online forum) to ms access? Basically the aim of doign this is to be able to print a custom made report from the forum data Well, there is a free working copy of sql server on your office CD (it is the desktop editing of sql server called MSDE). Perhaps you can just install that..and then view/edit the data? The MSDE . At that point, you can either a) simply export the data to something that ms-access can read. (if you have the sql server tools installed, then you can use the DTS services ..and export to ms-ac...

Customise Auto-reolution of users/addresses in GAL
Hi Situation Exchange Server 2003, User using the to: field to type only first names and let's Exchange resolve it. One of the users he often emails to is named John Wood Problem added new user Tim Johnson. When he types "John; Jeff..." John is not resolved to John Wood anymore but gets underlined in green. Customer finds it anoying to have to click the underlined user and select the right one... "If I want Mr johnson, I will type in Tim, but when I type John he does not have to think Johnson, but John".... Hard customer zo pls hel "ezjurgen" <anonymous...

CRM Redeployment
I'm trying to redeploy a version of our live CRM onto a test image. Whenever I run the redeployment tool, I keep getting the following error: "An error occurred when populating Microsoft CRM user groups. Ensure that CRM user accounts are accessible from the current domain and run the wizard again." I've given all the users local logon privileges, but I can't do anything to the CRM group permissions until the tool actually creates them. I'm missing something here - any idea why this error keeps popping up and how to fix it? Thanks. ...

Windows 7- Better than Vista?
Hi I'm running XP Pro. I chose not to try Vista due to all the bad reports. Is Windows 7 any better or should I stay with XP Pro until the dust settles? M. What does "better" mean? Mario wrote: > Hi I'm running XP Pro. > I chose not to try Vista due to all the bad reports. > > Is Windows 7 any better or should I stay with XP Pro until the dust > settles? > > > M. Mario wrote: > I'm running XP Pro. > I chose not to try Vista due to all the bad reports. > > Is Windows 7 any better or should I stay w...

settings for inserting Excel documents directly into Outlook
When utilizing Office 2002 with Outlook 2002, in Excel sending the Excel document to the Mail Recipient works okay, but the Excel document is oversized. The only way to get the document to be sized in a reasonable matter without taking up three pages is Send to Mail (As Attachment). How can you change the settings of the Send to Mail Recipient command? The first thought is it could be the document, and the answer is that this document is emailed to 10 locations and they all change some text and email it back. One location is having trouble. The Office was originally 2000, upgraded to 2002...

Tony Toews Blog re Access Copyrite
Hi I read Tony Trowes comment (with which I agree) and was wondering about copywrite (or copyright?). http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/archive/2007/11/12/google-s-motto-quot-don-t-be-evil-quot-hogwash.aspx So, here is a formula that I came up with this morning. = [SomeOtherField] I know, it's impressive. Question. Do I own the copywrite on this formula? OK I know this is daft example but some (all) of the codes and answers that are posted in this forum take quite a while to work out and are slightly more complex. I have been informed that copyright can be awarded or taken &q...

Setting up external SMTP/DNS
I'm doing some testing with my Exchange server before I roll it out company-wide. The issue I'm having is sending inter-office/inter-domain email. Everyone else besides myself is on our existing POP3 server while I'm on Exchange using PopCon to receive email and Exchange to send email. The problem is that I still need to be able to send inter-office email which is hosted externally but all my email is instead sent internally to the users corresponding Exchange mailbox. I need this email routed instead to our external SMTP server to resolve their correct POP3 email accounts. I have...

Office XP Professional User having Trouble Accessing Excel and Office Updates
I am suddenly having trouble accessing Excel and Office Updates. According to my profile I have the following version of Office: MSOffice XP Professional Version 2002 SP1 When I try to go in to Excel I get a Windows Installer pop-up. Then its goes to Windows Installer and I get an error message saying" the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Then I get Error 1706. Setup cannot fing the required files. The patch \\Puma\base\software\desktop\officexp\PROPLUS.MSI cannot be found I am also running into a similar problem when trying to ...

re install windows xp
i reinstalled xp and now my roxio adaptec burner program will not work,,it will hardly open and is very slow,,,like 5 min to open a mp3,,,help Your best bet is to post in a Windows newsgroup. This newsgroup deals with questions about Microsoft Excel. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "jjoks" <jjoks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31CB14F4-3988-4615-9E42-28CBDB977666@microsoft.com... >i reinstalled xp and now my roxio adaptec burner program will >not work,,it > will hardly open a...

Don't pay for a domain name, get paid to have one.
Great comprehensive package, very easy to use, Have a look at www.easyweb-biz.ws and click on the red fast car banner at the above. ...

Problems With Access 97 in Access 2002
I have an Access 97 database that I am opening in Access 2002 in “compatability” mode. What is happening is that it goes into a “loop” – the status bar shows messages over and over. Sometimes I can break out of it. I can convert it Ok, however. What’s going on? ...

How do I access the 256 color palatte in excel #2
How do I access the 256 color palatte in excel Tools menu - Options - Color tab. -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "Stick Frame" wrote: > How do I access the 256 color palatte in excel XL can only display 56 colors at any one time. You can change any of the 56 using Tools/Options/Colors, and clicking the Modify button. In article <6A3E973D-A17D-48FA-B07C-9242895DF17F@microsoft.com>, "Stick Frame" <StickFrame@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I access the 256 color palatte in excel ...

Multivalued Field Functionality in Access 2003
Hello All, I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am trying to design an Access Database that quite frankly needs multivalued fields so that I can use a checked listbox, but I am limited to Access 2003 and cannot use Access 2007, in which I already have a fully working model. I am building a database with a central table, called GENERAL. There are 5 additional forms, DRUGNAME, ADDITIONALMEDICATIONS, INJURYINFORMATION, etc. Each one contains one field which has a list. For example the DrugName table would contain a list of all the prescription drugs that the person possibly could have been on. In 200...

Auto configure outlook for exchange users
We use roaming profiles, along with outlook 2002 and exchange 2000. Is there a way to auto configure outlook for the users, instead of having to do them all individually? Many many thanks, I really need help with this. There is a way to do it using GPO's and scripts. But I use Scriptlogic logon scripts to configure the users profiles and settings for everything including Outlook. www.scriptlogic.com :-) >-----Original Message----- >We use roaming profiles, along with outlook 2002 and >exchange 2000. Is there a way to auto configure outlook >for the users, instead...