UNC Path using DNS alias (CNAME) on local server doesn't work

I have many windows server 2003 servers. On all of our file shares/SQL
servers we use CNAMES for easy DR changes and testing. Primarily we
only use DNS aliases from clients to the servers
We installed a new app that has a database of UNC locations. The app
uses these locations to do some file copies. The problem seems to be
that the server itself cannot access the \\myalias\myshare from
itself. Extremely strange.
When i try to go to run and type this UNC path using the alias on the
server itself i get prompted with a username/password dialog. Any
credentials i enter here fail.

we apply the disablestrictnamecheck registry fix to all our servers.

any ideas? SPN related, trying to find a free server to test this on.

thanks for any help.
0
GeorgeD

issue is this..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926642

used method 2, couldn't get method 1 to work

   1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
   2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
   3. Right-click Lsa, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
   4. Type DisableLoopbackCheck, and then press ENTER.
   5. Right-click DisableLoopbackCheck, and then click Modify.
   6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
   7. Exit Registry Editor.
   8. Restart the computer.

- i didnt need to restart to get this working surprisingly.
0
GeorgeD

Using Vlookup with Sumproduct to satisfy multiple conditions
Hi everyone, I have been pondering this for many days without being able to obtain a solution. With the following sample data, Table 1 City Country Sydney Australia Madrid Spain Lisbon Portugal Brisbane Australia Tokyo Japan Geneva Switzerland Zurich Switzerland Table 2 # of Visits Favorite Birthplace 2 Sydney Switzerland 1 Zurich Switzerland 4 Tokyo Australia 2 Brisbane Spain 3...

Save as PDF not working on a domained Windows 7/Vista box
I have an VB script that has worked fine for any XP box. The script does a save as PDF (using the save as pdf add in) for excel, then save the pdf in a file within SharePoint on an external site. As we plan on moving to Windows 7 we have tested this and have issues with the file acturally saving. it creates a file put the file is empty. this also happens on Vista. but has no issues when it comes to XP. Applications: Office 2007 SP 2 MOSS SP1 Save as PDF add-in Script: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Dim iReply As Integer iReply = MsgBox(Prompt:="By usin...

Synchronising using Office online
I'm using Office Online to synchronise Calendar and Contacts between two instances of Outlook 2007. The categories I set up on the main instance have all been transferred OK to the second instance, apart from the colours. How do I get the colours in the second instance to match the category colours in the first installation? -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level and the FULL contents of any error message(s) "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OXbALnKrJHA.4980@TK2MSF...

SQL Server vs PostGress ,DB2 and Oracle
We are looking @ changing our Oracle DB with either SQL Server 2008 R2, PostGress or DB2. Does SQL SErver 2008 R2 support Pl/SQL? > Does SQL SErver 2008 R2 support Pl/SQL? No, you will need to alter the script "BillVAS" <BillVAS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3712F2DC-5BFB-49AC-A041-8D7433434475@microsoft.com... > We are looking @ changing our Oracle DB with either SQL Server 2008 R2, > PostGress or DB2. > > Does SQL SErver 2008 R2 support Pl/SQL? I seriously doubt that anyone, other than Oracle, supports PL/SQL. As...

Outlook Message Handling Option stopped working after CRM install
After installing Microsoft CRM client, The feature in Outlook 2003 Tools-->Options-->Preferences-->Email Options-->Message Handling-->Choose 'Open the next item' in the dropdown, no longer works. The option can be selected but when a message is opened and deleted Outlook simply returns to the inbox rather then opening the next item as requested. ...

Using Xpath to get name with same name at different depths
Hi, I am very new to XML and XPATH. I have made a sample XML fileto ask my question. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Test> <A> <B> <C> <D> <NAME>Jack</NAME> </D> </C> </B> </A> <J> <NAME>James</NAME> </J> <X> <Y> <NAME>Tom</NAME> </Y> </X> <Z> <NAME>Peter <W> <NAME>Harry</NAME> </W> </NAME&...

How do I get the Fitness Chart for Men to work longer?
I have been using the Fitness Chart for Men Excel template to track my weight loss. I find that the downloaded version only has 31 rows, at which point the borders end and it no longer graphs any data that I might enter. How do I extend this template so that it can track my weight for longer than one month? Prospect That will be quite a project. You can simply copy down to extend it then clear data from columns B through E below row 31 but.......... Now you would have to adapt all the formulas in columns F through I to return a blank if nothing entered in A through E. =IF(B32="...

MFC / ATL Out Of Proc Server
Hello; I have an MFC SDI application that is also an out-of-proc COM server. The application uses several custom COM objects / ActiveX controls. When the application is used as a COM server and accessed in a stateless fashion. (I.e. Create / call / destroy ) eventually one of the ActiveX controls gets destroyed. I've walked stack and see that ExitInstance is called from DLLMain (not from the hosting application) I'm not sure how to continue researching this, I don't know how to prevent it? Has anyone had such a problem? ...

Backups on Front-End Servers
Hi, Are Exchange Information Store backups important on Front-End E2K3 Servers where no user data and no Public Folder data exists? I'm thinking that it is acceptable to just backup the C:\ drive and the System State. Can someone point out a flaw with this approach? Thanks a lot. Mike The only issue would be that if the FE server is also an smtp gateway, it will be creating transaction logs. The solution to that (quite acceptable if you ask me) is to enable circular logging on the FE server only. The BE servers should not have circular logging enabled, but it is fine to do so on...

Checking delegate access from server
Does anyone know of a way to check which users have granted delegate access from the server side? We often have questions from users who send a meeting request to a group of users and get a response from someone not in that group who obviously has delegate access to an invitee's calendar. I'd really like to have a quick way of checking delegate access rather than asking each invitee or accessing their mailbox. Thanks, Michael sometimes delegates will appear in the list in the "delivery options" properties...but they do not always show up there... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] ...

Re: Using one of the LOOKUP functions
Hi everyone. I have done a search but not been able to find what I'm looking for so perhaps some kind person here may be able to give me some pointers. My dilemma is thus; I have a sheet with 11 columns of data in around 45 rows (the number of rows grows as more data get put in during the month) The first column contains people's names. At the end of the month I will sort all the data on the Name column. I then subtotal on these names and this data is contained within the 11th column. The data I want to find at the end of each month will be contained within the row that starts wit...

How do I use Excel 2000 to calculate mathematical formulas in a...
How to use Excel 2000 to calculate mathematical formulas in a worksheet, the example I can give you to what it is that I am trying to do is put together a chart that is going to automatically calculate a worksheet when I add numbers to it. I' ve seen it done, I just don't know how to do it, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME? THANK YOU KINDLY, Talia Talia -- It sounds like you're a new user? Any Excel formula starts off with an '='. So: A B 1 5 2 6 3 =A1+A2 And when you press 'enter' after entering the fo...

Help
Hi, I have a an excel spreadsheet which lists names and start/finish times per day of various workers. Crude example: A B C D E ................................... etc 1 Monday Tuesday 2 Linda 1400 1800 1300 2100 (in integer format) 3 Bob 1500 1900 700 1400 .. .. etc I would like to know if it is possible to use this to produce a schedule on a seperate sheet by hour of the day, something like this: A B C D E F G 1 ...

lotro gold in all eu/us server wowmmocom.com
http://www.wowmmocom.com The Lord of the Rings (EU)--Belegaer - 10 $: 10.49 --------------------------------------------------- The Lord of the Rings (EU)--Evernight - 10 $: 10.19 ------------------------------------------------------- The Lord of the Rings (EU)--Maiar - 10 $: 10.69 ---------------------------------------------------- The Lord of the Rings (EU)--Snowbourn - 10 $: 18.69 ----------------------------------------------------------- The Lord of the Rings (EU)--Eldar - 10 $: 10.25 ------------------------------------------------------ The Lord of the Rings (EU)-...

Moving exchange 2003 onto another server
Is there any white paper on the microsoft web site regarding moving exchange 2003 from one server onto another. and ofcause kepping all mail boxes and all tremings? Hi here it is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822945 Nebojsa Seslija "Denis Correard" <DenisCorreard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C120B83-895A-4C48-91D2-61E20504D49E@microsoft.com... > Is there any white paper on the microsoft web site regarding moving > exchange > 2003 from one server onto another. and ofcause kepping all mail boxes and > all > tremings? Hi Denis, ...

AD sync with Project Server resource and reusable Win accounts
Hello, Is it possible to use the AD sync with PS 2007 resources for temporary resources (such as external consultants) when the system administrator reuses these Windows accounts when such an external resource leaves? Thanks If you do this, Project Server will not be able to distinguish one user of the logon from another. All users will appear as one and accumulate data to the one account. Reusing logons is generally considered a very bad practice to begin with, so it's not surprising that Microsoft does not support this. -- Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP msP...

Creating rule on server
Hi, I've tried to create a couple of rules to move/copy e-mail fram administrators inbox to some public folders based on text in the messages. But the rules only get created on the client (Outlook), not on the server. So then I have start Outlook on a client to get the rules working.... Why? Hove to fix this issue? Jon Hi Jon You will that a move copy operation to a public folder cannot be performed from a server side rule, one way around this is to create a server side rule which forwards to the Public folder instead of copy or move. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/...

Customize Outlook Today not working #2
I am having the same problem bbelt's posting on 11/17/03. I have just installed my Office 2000 and have completed all sp-3 + updates and my Customize button does not work. What do you have to do to get it turned on/working? Thank you bill@springprop.com OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://ww...

how can i open an excel file using microsoft works? or can I?
Hi Wilberich, I do not think that Works can open Excel Files. To open Excel files for viewing purposes, Microsoft provides a freely downloadable viewer at: http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/xlviewer.aspx Alternatively, OpenOffice offers much of Excels functionality and is freely downloadable at: http://www.openoffice.org The download is in excess of 60MB but a CD version is available at a nominal price. Another alternative might be to check Ebay for cheap xl2k offers. --- Regards, Norman "wilberich" <wilberich@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Browse option and sving folder path
Hi there, I want a user to select a path from a pop-up and then this folder location should be saved in a table. Can someone please assist with the last part as I'm not sure how to update a record from information supplied via a form. Here is the code thusfar but the last option obviously doesn't work as it should: Private Sub cmd_FileLocation_Click() On Error Resume Next Dim f As FileDialog Set f = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker) f.Show MsgBox ("You have selected: ") & f.SelectedItems(1) DoCmd.OpenT...

Sql server 2008 r2 hangs up
Dear all, I am using sql server 2008 r2 as a database and have enabled few properties of it as alter database databasename set ALLOW_SNAPSHOT_ISOLATION on alter database databasename set READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT on because I wanted it to use it in buffering mode. Now I am facing problem as my sql server database hangs up quite often. Please give me suggestion to tackle this problem as I wanted to run it in buffer mode. Thanks Upender Yadav (upender.yadav@yahoo.co.in) writes: > I am using sql server 2008 r2 as a database and have >...

Automation error (apparently) using CreateObject on Outlook
Please help, All of a sudden I'm getting a problem with associated with opening Outlook from my Access application (And also using the "View in Outlook" button in Google Desktop Search). When it encounters the command: Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.application") It gives the following error: Run-time error '-2147024770 (8007007e)': Automation error The specified module could not be found. With Google desktop search I used to be able to search for emails and then press "View in Outlook" and the email would open but now, although it will ...

server filter multiple frames
Hi, Does anyone know how to use a server filter such that when going from a single frame, the server filter passes a varible, in my case purchaseorderID to a certain frame. The html of the page being opened looks like this <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Edit Order</TITLE> </HEAD> <FRAMESET COLS=47%,* > <FRAME NAME=LEFT src="EditPO.htm" scrolling=yes> <FRAME NAME=RIGHT src="ViewItems.htm " scrolling=yes> </FRAMESET> </HTML> where im trying to pass the purchaseorderID to EditPO so that it opens the purchase order selected...

Displaying XML document in ASP.NET page using XSL Transform
I have an XML document that I am trying to display in my ASP.NET page. I am using an XSL Transform to display repeating XML data in a specific format. It reads the data, and displays it on my page, but there's a problem. It runs all the data together on one line. The XSL file is as follows: -- begin xml --- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"> <xsl:template match="/guestbook"> <xsl:apply-templates select="guestbook" /&g...

sql query won't work
I have two tables, Districts (as in school districts) and in the district table are the names of all the school districts in the state in order. The second table is Districts With Projects (I called it DWP) and in it are the district names and the projects those districts have completed. So there is one column in the first table and two columns in the second table. The are 256 records in the first (districts) table and 183 records in the second table. All I want to do is have a query that reports all 256 district names and beside the district names either the project or a blank (if ther...