Unable to map drive on seperate subnet of Windows 2008 Server

On our current Windows 2003 Server I'm able to map a drive to a shared
folder from a workstation from a different subnet.  Even if this machine
is not a member of the Domain, I can add the servers IP address and
machine name to the hosts file.  If I have a user account setup on the
server I can then pass the username and password credentials when
mapping the drive and everything is OK.

When migrating to the new server (Windows 2008 R2) I try to do the same
thing, it gives me the following error:

The network path \\servername\share could not be found.

Is there something I need to do in a Group Policy?

I've tried adding subnets under Active Directory Sites and Services to
no avail.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
0
Shawn

> The network path \\servername\share could not be found.

Try using the IP address and specifying the full user credentials:

\\ip.address.of.server\share /user:domain\username

Replace /user:domain\username with the appropriate domain or machine name.
As in, you have a machine called "someserver" on IP adress 1.2.3.4 with a
share named 'home' and it's not part of your current domain named
"somedomain".  To connect to it you'd need to have an account on the
"someserver" machine, let's say that one's named 'shawn'.  You'd use:

net use \\1.2.3.4\home /user:someserver\shawn

If you didn't specify the "someserver\shawn" credentials the connection
would be made with whatever credentials you're currently using on your
machine.  Since the 'someserver' machine isn't part of the domain it's
likely going to reject the connection attempt.  This is correct behavior for
it.  There's an exception where the system will try to connect using the
same username and password, but don't rely on this.  Just specify the full
credentials, that way you'll *know* what it's trying to use.

Be very careful about making edits to the HOSTS file.  Those tend to get
forgotten about and come back to haunt you later.  Better to get things
integrated into the DNS when possible.  That way all the layers of client
software "just work".  You can add hosts to an AD integrated DNS without the
machine being a member of the domain, even when they're in different
subnets.  That's just DNS 101.

-Bill Kearney

0
Bill

Biztalk Server Partner Edition
I cannot find Biztalk installer on the CRM installation disks. The CRM integration datasheet from Microsoft says that CRM will ships with BizTalk Server 2002 Partner Edition, including tools and documentation for creating customized integrations. I need to buid an integration with another application based on Biztalk Server, the client has CRM installed and doesn't want to buy a Biztalk Server licence. Thank you, Doru It does not come with CRM. It comes with CRM Integration. They would have to have the "professional" version of CRM (which includes integration). ...

Can I migrate my old Exchange 5.5 from NT4 to 2003 server?
Totally have no idea about how to do it. Any tips, please. Thanks a lot Hi, Exchange 5.5 will not run on Windows 2003. Exchange 5.5 will run on Windows 2000. The only version of Exchange that will run on Windows 2003 is Exchange 2003. -- Thanks, James Burrage This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "yuner" <annie_bai2000@yahoo.com> wrote in m...

=?windows-1252?Q?Student_=96_Inventory_Offset_Account?=
Inventory Offset Account, is this a specific account or a generic term? When I go to setup a new item, on the Accounts screen (Item Account Maintenance) there is field labeled Inventory Offset. When inventory is received, I know to debit Inventory and credit Accrued Purchases so is that what this field is referring to? Update: I searched this forum for Inventory Offset and I read a few threads referring to the Inv. Offset account as a =93balancing account=94 when the system=92s not quite sure what to do. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.greatplains/browse_thread/t= hread/fe1...

Unable to import contacts to new computer
I've exported contacts and e-mails to pst folders on my old computer, when trying to import to Outlook on the new computer I get an error message that access is denied. I'm the administrator on both systems. Neither system appears to have Exchange on them (all articles say to change permission properties in exchange). How do I move my information from one computer to another at this point?? Make sure the .PST file isn't marked read-only. If it's on a CD, move it to your hard drive and remove the read-only attribute. Look here for all the information you need on bac...

windows xp help please
I need some help please. When I download things it will only download to 99% then it stops and want completely download things. Is there anything I can do to fix this short of a reformat? -- thank you, coffee121858 Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. In this case, also state your IE version. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(...

WINDOWS folder 4.5GB Is it normal?
Hi On my exchang2003 box my Windows folder is the size spesified...Is this healthy and/or normal? Is there any way i can reduce this size WITHOUT CASING PROBLEMS/ISSUES OF ANY KIND on my server. thanks for the ideas. Sounds about right. If you've cached web pages offline, you can delete them. Pretty much anything else could potentially be a problem or issue down the road. "MSExchange2003Student" <exchangestudent@newsgroups.com> wrote in message news:uGyC9GYhHHA.4680@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi > > On my exchang2003 box my Windows folder is the size spe...

"Windows cannot find 'msconfig'"
My latest problem is this: In the Start menu, I click on Run... and the "Run" dialog box appears. I type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks), and I get the following error message: "msconfig: Windows cannot find 'msconfig'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search." Why is this? Pekka Numminen wrote: > My latest problem is this: >=20 > In the Start menu, I click on Run... and the "Run" dialog box appears. > I type "mscon...

Problems connecting to POP3 server
Hello I am using Outlook XP to access my POP3 email account. It has been working fine for about 2 years but all of a sudden, I'm getting error messages saying that it can't access the server. I know that the service is working fine because I can use a web-based service to connect to it. I haven't installed anything new on my machine and my web connection hasn't changed. Any idea? TIA Jo Sorry, false alarm. I've just realised that it's something to do with recent updates to my AV software. Jo Sorry, false alarm. I've just realised that it's somethi...

54. Wiener Access Stammtisch: Einladung f�r den 08.01.2008
Wiener Access Stammtisch http://access.primary.at/ access.st.wien@gmx.at Liebe Accessler, ich m�chte Euch hiermit zum 54. Wiener Access Stammtisch einladen. Termin: Dienstag, 08.01.2008, ab 19:00 Ort: Lokal "Fantastica, Pizzeria", Wagramer Stra�e 154, A 1220 Wien ------------------------------------------ Fantastica, Pizzeria http://www.fantastica.at/ pizza22@fantastica.at pizzeria@fantastica.at 1220 - Wagramer Stra�e 154 Restaurant, Italienische K�che Telefon: 203 75 39, Fax: 209 15 21 �ffnungszeiten t�glich 09.00 - 23.00 Gastgarten, durchgehend warme K�che, Vegetar...

Unable to print from Outlook 2000
I have Windows 2000 (SP4) and Office 2000 (SP3). My computer is a Compaq Presario 5225 and my printer is a Canon BJC-5000. I cannot print e-mails, contact list, etc. from Outlook 2000. This just started yesterday. I have already run the detect/repair on Outlook 2000. I can print from any program on the computer (Word, Excel, Notepad, etc.), except Outlook 2000. I have searched the internet and Microsoft.com, but I cannot locate any information on this problem. Please help! Thank you!! When you open an email message and select File - Print, can you see your printer their. Try p...

Non specific error on opening Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000 Pro system
"Cannot Open Microsoft Outlook. A program error has occurred. Quit Outlook and Windows and then start again." This happens with all profiles on the system. I've repaired Office, reinstalled Office, then uninstalled and reinstalled Office (and redownloaded and applied all patches). It still errors. Other Office apps open just fine. Outlook does connect to the Exchange server, since I can configure services and it recognizes the LAN ID. Any thoughts? Does it start in safe mode, go to Start > Run > type "Outlook /safe" without the quotes "Paula&qu...

Unable to Access Mailbox Stores on one Server
All— I am the Exchange Administrator (MS Exchange 2003) with a medium sized company. We have two back-end and two front-end servers and I use Exchange 2003 System Manager to perform a number of administrative tasks throughout the day. I run the utility on a Windows XP Professional computer. I can get into the Storage Groups and underling Mailbox Stores on three of the four servers from this setup, but one of the back-end servers shows the mailbox stores with red down arrows which indicated that the stores are off-line (Yes Store.exe is running on the server). But if I log into the ...

windows media center xp quit after sp3
My windows media center stopped after the installation of SP3. I have done about five or six things to correct the problem, but none of them have worked. When is Microsoft going to have an update to fix the problem they caused? Sorry, I didn't take my mind-reading pills today: What did your computer stop after you installed SP3? What five or six things have you done in an attempt to correct the problem? Gazillions of WinXP users have installed SP3 since it was released *almost two years ago* without seeing their computers "stop" so what problem is MS suppos...

Seperate Inbox's for different account
Hi I have three email accounts set up in Microsoft Outlook 2007, but how can I have three different inboxes (i.e. one for each account) rather than all messages going into the one inbox? Any help would be much appreciated. Regards, Bradley Thomas. Unless they are imap accounts, you need to use rules to move the messages to different folders. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter a...

the server will send emails again after rebooting if lots of recipients
Hi all, We are using a microsoft exchange 2000 server fully patched running on windows 2000 server professional fully patched also. My problem is that everytime i restart the server, it will send again the emails that have been sent to lots of recipients (like 70 or 100 recipients). No matter when the email have first been sent and delivered... It's the second time i restart the server and i had to freeze all the queues in order to stop some messages, but even messages sent in september last year were ready to be delivered again... I've looked for the logs, event log...

Can't installt IBF on CRM Server
first i'm install IBF On my CRM v1.2 (it's name crm) after that i'm try to install IBF for CRM on my CRM Server but in Step "Publish Metadata" i'm type "http://crm:8082" and click next button but it's show message box "The Information Bridge metadata service location is not avaliable" and can't install it. but i can access "http://crm:8082/IBFWriteService.asmx" and "http://crm:8081/IBFReadService.asmx". so how can i install it ? ...

Windows 7
Every morning, between 10 and 30 minutes after "waking up" my computer, windows 7 does a blue screen. here is an example.... Source Windows Summary Shut down unexpectedly Date ‎19/‎01/‎2010 08:17 Status Not reported Problem signature Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3 Locale ID: 2057 Extra information about the problem BCCode: 9f BCP1: 00000003 BCP2: 8AFDE6B0 BCP3: 82D78AE0 BCP4: 8A627700 OS Version: 6_1_7600 Service Pack: 0_0 Product: 768_1 I tried changing the power options to never "put the computer to sleep&quo...

Windows Live/Outlook Connector
I have been using Outlook/Outlook Connector fairly successfully for several years and have been able to have "category" information properly synchronized between my four computers configured to a single premium MSN account. Recently, I upgraded my computers to the latest Outlook Connector (12.1) and did not notice whether the categories were properly synchronized. I recently did a clean up of duplicates in my contacts and now notice that my baseline dataset that has categories is not synchronizing to my other computers. Has there been a change in Outlook Connector re...

How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?
How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1? On 2/26/08 5:15 PM, in article ee8ee56.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "mollycat@officeformac.com" <mollycat@officeformac.com> wrote: > How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office > 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1? Delete these two files: ~:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008:Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist where ~ is your home folder, and HD:Applications:Microsoft Office 2008:Office:OfficePID.plist -- Diane, ...

Small Business Server backup hangs server...
Hello - hoping that someone can assist here.. I have recently installed a Small Business Server 2003 for a client (not R2). After configuring the normal SBS backup via Server Management (see log below) ***** Backup Runner started. Launching NTBackup: ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks" /d "SBS Backup created on 25/12/2009 at 10:36 AM" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "Small Business Server Backup Job" /l:s /f "G:\Backup Files\Small Business Server Backup...

Why does "windows in taskbar" not work in excel 2003
I am running Excel 2003 on WindowsXP Pro and the Windows in Taskbar does not work. Sometimes the Excel icon in the taskbar will disapear when you click on it; I have to click Alt+Tab in order to see and get to the open Excel session at that point. I ran Excel /regserver and Detect and repair and no luck. Try: Tools > Options > View and ensure Windows In Taskbar is checked. HTH hey DNA, Thanks for the reply but it doesn't work. basically when I turn it off and apply and then switch it back on it works but when Excel is closed and reopend, it no longer works. Anybody? &...

How to Connect to SQL Server??
Dears: Earlier today, I had to change strategies for retrieving information that I need for a utility program I am working on. Essentially, the program performs some low level Windows profile translations as we move to a new domain structure (AD) and a new standardized ID convention. We presently have two formats of standardized user IDs: one in our pre-merger format and used with the older NT domains, and a new standardized user ID. I have a table in SQL Server 2000 that contains two fields, one for each type of ID, and the table contains approximately 275,000 rows. This program is going t...

Can't install new report service server
Hi, We occured one problem when install crm3. Our enviroment is win2003 sp1,sql2005. When running setup program "Install new report service server" option is grey. But in our sql server there is no report services installed.There is vs2005 installed on this computer.And I notice asp.net version is 2.0.Is that cause by asp.net 2. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Cheers, Kevin When you have SQL Server 2005, you will need to install the report server that comes with SQL Server 2005 and have the Microsoft CRM v3.0 attach to it. The Report Services is an option with SQL Server...

budget ID setup window
I'm attempting to create a dedicated PO for a Back Ordered item. (We're basically rearranging our entire process for order entry/ processing/ invoicing because our inventory couldn't be more incorrect and continues to get worse). The PO is created and saved. When I go into Purchase Order Entry Window and attempt to view/ re-save the document, it gives me the message. "There is no budget ID setup for this fiscal period. Please assign a budget ID using the PO Enhancements Setup Window." We don't need to budget for this item and we haven't set up any budgeting fo...

Outlook slow saving attachments to nt 4.0 server
After upgrading to Windows XP Professional, Outlook 2000 is extremely slow in saving attachments to a Windows nt 4.0 server with Service Pack 6.0a. All service packs and updates were installed in both Outlook and Windows XP. Any suggestions?? Ben Horwich ...