System Cache in W2K8 R2 file server

Hi,

I have a file server that is constantly consuming all of the 8GB memory
it has, after reading quite a bit about it I understand that it is the
System Cache that is eating up all the memory. The server has somewhere
between 30MB to 300MB available memory but most often about 100MB.

W2K8 (not R2) has the Windows Dynamic Cache Service where I can set a
max-size on the System Cache but that service doesn't run on W2K8 R2.

Is there a way to limit the size on the System Cache in W2K8 R2?

Thank you in advance.
Stefan
0
Stefan

> I have a file server that is constantly consuming all of the 8GB
> memory it has, [...]
And this is a bad thing because ...?  It's generally a good thing that
your machine is not leaving lying unused physical RAM that it could
otherwise be making some use of.

0
Jonathan
5/2/2010 12:30:53 AM
Like I said, I understand why the cache is there, and that they made
some changes in the memory manager (which is why Dynamic Cache Service
doesn't work) to address the issues in R2.

It's a bad thing because I can't find information about how the System
Cache works and if it releases memory on demand. If it does then there's
no problem because I know I'll be able to get more memory if I need but
like I said, I don't know if it does and I can't find information about
it. That's why I would like a way to limit it to 97% or something like
that. The servers available memory is as low as 10mb sometimes and
rarely over 150MB.

On 2010-05-02 02:30, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

>> I have a file server that is constantly consuming all of the 8GB
>> memory it has, [...]
>>
> And this is a bad thing because ...? It's generally a good thing that
> your machine is not leaving lying unused physical RAM that it could
> otherwise be making some use of.

0
Stefan

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

Exchange in SBS2003 R2

CSV File Problem

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

CFile (delete file)

import a 123 file

Relay from unstruted server

Public Folder link to Excel File

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Relay Servers?

Microsoft Exchange Server

Renaming Partial File Names

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file

Time Clock Systems
Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates well with GP? On Oct 5, 10:20 am, kcd <k...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates > well with GP? We just implemented Time Matrix by Business Computers (www.business- computers.com) and are very happy with it. We implemented quickly the hardware wasn't propietary or complicated so we were able to source our own stuff. Troy I can speak highly of Unitime's time and attendance system. They are a relatively low cost solution t...

2 Domains, 1 Exchange Server