Server 2008 with SSD drive

The client is having some lag problems with Remote access to a application
Server 2003 R2.  When clients log in and in some cases when printing, the
other users either slow way down or become totally unresponsive.

I bought a Mushkin 128gb SSD drive and want to install it in the backup
server as a test to see if the faster drive access makes any difference. At
the same time they would upgrade to Server 2008 (R2?).

The drive would have the OS, a Firebird database server and the program
files they use.  Client count is probably < 10.

I am wondering which drive controller to use for 64 bit OS and if anyone can
tell me if a server is going to respond like a client with an SSD drive -
i.e. MUCH faster disk access.

Thanks,

Rick

0
Rick

Hello Rick,

At the moment i can think of the harddisk as the problem. Check the event
viewer on the server when it happens, is the server also the print server
or is there a separate machine?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> The client is having some lag problems with Remote access to a
> application Server 2003 R2.  When clients log in and in some cases
> when printing, the other users either slow way down or become totally
> unresponsive.
>
> I bought a Mushkin 128gb SSD drive and want to install it in the
> backup server as a test to see if the faster drive access makes any
> difference. At the same time they would upgrade to Server 2008 (R2?).
>
> The drive would have the OS, a Firebird database server and the
> program files they use.  Client count is probably < 10.
>
> I am wondering which drive controller to use for 64 bit OS and if
> anyone can tell me if a server is going to respond like a client with
> an SSD drive - i.e. MUCH faster disk access.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick

0
Meinolf
6/14/2010 7:25:08 PM
On 06/14/10 14:14, Rick wrote:
> The client is having some lag problems with Remote access to a
> application Server 2003 R2.  When clients log in and in some cases
> when printing, the other users either slow way down or become totally
> unresponsive.

Based purely on the above statement, I'm going to hazard a guess and say
that the problem has nothing to do with the disk and has everything to
do with the "remote" part of your description.

Based on the fact that users are printing while using a remote
connection I'm guessing that said application server is on the other
side of some sort of internet connection.  With this in mind I question
if the printing, or transferring of files as part of profile login, is
saturating the internet connection.  I know for a fact that (depending
on the type of printer and language it uses) a simple "This is a print
test page." type document being printed will generate multiple megabytes
of data to be sent to the printer.  So, if someone is printing a
multiple page report from the remote server back to a local printer, the
connection could literally be busy with all the data being sent to the
printer.

With this in mind, I'd investigate the type and amount of network
traffic before even considering pursuing a solid state drive.

Grant. . . .
0
Grant

Need help bring over GP 7.0 data to new a GP 8.0 server.
I'm setting up a GP 8.0 Test Server with SQL 2000 SP3a installed. How do I bring my Great Plains 7.0 Data into the GP 8.0 envirnoment? Thanks in advance, The easiest way is the following: On the 7.0 server, detach DYNAMICS. Copy the DYNAMICS mdf and ldf file from the 7.0 to the 8.0 server. On the 8.0 server, attach and browse to the mdf that you copied. On the 7.0 server, attach DYNAMICS. Repeat for all databases. If you also need the sql logins from the 7.0 server, there is a TK on how to do this (uses a table called RecoveryMaster within Dynamics db). If you can go without the s...

accessing Project Portfolio server
hi ! i have SQL Server 2005 installed in standalone with the project portfolio server 2007, but when i trying to access portfolio application by using url: "http://servername/portfolioserver" with my account name and pwd, i have this error: Objet name "SfAccounts" invalid ! please help me. Have you restored or upgraded your Portfolio Server database? What that sounds like is that the default installed 'account' i the database is diffeent to what is configured in the web.config file. In your "C:\inetpub\PortfolioServer2007\PortfolioServer\web.c...

Problems installing IM on server
We recently upgraded to Dynamics GP 9.0, when we tried to upgrade/install integration manager on the server, it refused to complete the install and rolled back the installation. However when we installed it on a client machine, the installation/upgrade went through without a hitch. Why am I having a problem loading it on the server? I've never loaded IM on the server. Only on workstations. The only thing that should be on the server for IM is the IM Database for shared access. "Leni" wrote: > We recently upgraded to Dynamics GP 9.0, when we tried to upgrade/install ...

Installing addin on server
I have a nifty addin that I want to make available through a web site. Is it possible to install an addin located on the web? (I tried adding the ftp'd website address but was unsuccessful.) TIA Did you try Browse from the Tools, Addins dialog? At the bottom of the "look in" drop down is "FTP Locations". -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "zSplash" <zNOSPAMSplash@ gci.net> wrote in message news:O%23roM8gMEHA.1188@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... |I have a nifty addin that I want to make available through a web site. Is | it possible to install an addin located on ...

Setup was unable to install Microsoft CRM Server
Hi, At the end of the installation process we get following error: "Setup was unable to install Microsoft CRM Server. Setup was unable to provision your organization. Setup was unable to create root business unit. Unknown error (80004000)" I believe it coud be a DNS error. However, all settings seem to be fine. I am installing CRM with an account that has Domain Admin priviledges. However, it seems that the setup can not create the first organizational unit after some basic NT User Groups are created. Anybody had the same problem? Ralf, If you are installing the new 1.2 it cre...

Which one first?Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Exchange SP2 ? #2
Hi, We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? By the way, any issue with Exchange SP2 ? Rgrds, Zul See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37488 and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896742. I would recomment upgrading Exchange first. -- Regards, Roland "Zul J" wrote: > Hi, > > We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update > the software in terms of patches, so which one...

how to remove beta 2008 for mac
I can't make the remove 2008 (beta version) work- I just get a message that says it wont work and offers to relaunch- in order to ready mac for new 2008 install, is there a way to manually remove 2008 beta? thanks, ordway Yes, there is a way: Contact the beta team directly for this information (we are not allowed to publish it...) On 25/01/08 11:48 AM, in article ee8a618.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "ordway@officeformac.com" <ordway@officeformac.com> wrote: > I can't make the remove 2008 (beta version) work- I just get a message that > says it wont work and of...

add exchange server
Here's my config: SERVER1-- OLD PENTIUM II-- MAIL GATEWAY, running IIS, GFI to scan for spam and virus. This server receives and cleans up incoming mail and sends to Server2. SERVER2-- Exchange 2003, OWA (this is the only Exchange Server in our 50 user organization.) Both Servers are NATTED behind a firewall with only the necessary ports forwarded As you may have guessed, I want to decommission SERVER1, which is not running Exchange-- and replace with an Exchange Server that will be setup with anti-virus/antispam. So lets suppose I replace SERVER1 with a faster machine ru...

SMTP Relay Server and Mail Aliases
Hi! I have front-end and back-end Exchange. I do not want that my front-end Exchange has SMTP relay functionality. I want to deploy a SMTP relay server in DMZ. My problem is: This SMTP relay server is not a member of my Exchnage AD domain and does not know about mail aliases in my Exchange domain. I do not want that I open additional ports on firewall which is between my Exchange domain and SMTP mail relay. My question is: How can I inform that SMTP relay server knows about all mail aliases on my Exchange domain? Best Regards Mustafa "mustafa" <mustafa@discussions.microso...

Exchange 2003 Server
I have got an Exchange 2003 server up and running over this past weekend. My old 2000 Exchange server is still around also. What I am noticing is that when I am on the 2003 server I don't see all the options like I do on the 2000 server. When I am in the protocols on the 2003 server, I see my default virtual server for POP3 but nothing under SMTP, but I do see it when I am on the 2K server. The same goes for my connectors. I see them on the 2000 server but not on the 2003. any ideas? You should see SMTP under protocols and you should see the connectors folder under routing grou...

How to get the certificate for an SSL server (HTTPS)???
Hi all, I do not belive it!! I tried to obtain the certificate for an SSL server (http connectio) but I cannot. I use "INTERNET_OPTION_SECURITY_CERTIFICATE" or "INTERNET_OPTION_SECURITY_CERTIFICATE_STRUCT", calling with InternetQueryOption (or CInternetSession::QueryOption). Dosen't matter what option I have the function fails and the result is allways ERROR_WINHTTP_INCORRECT_HANDLE_TYPE (The type of handle supplied is incorrect for this operation.). Knows anybody how can I do this? Knows someone a piece of code where InternetQueryOption realy runs? Or is ther...

Administrator 5.5 with Exchange Server 2003
I recently installed Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. It came with Exchange Administrator 5.5. The administrator program does not work. When I try to connect to my server I get an error. I've browsed through hundreds of similar postings and one in particular mentioned that Admin 5.5 will not run on 2003. If this is true then how do I administer my exchange server? Thanks, Matt On 14 Mar 2005 05:52:47 -0800, mattrapoport@gmail.com wrote: >I recently installed Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. It came with >Exchange Administrator 5.5. The administrator program does not work. >...

Terminal Session server
I have set a terminal session server. I connect using a VIP and it connects me to server A then about 10 minutes later it logs out and then connects me to server B. Does anyone know what is causing this? ...

UNC Path using DNS alias (CNAME) on local server doesn't work
I have many windows server 2003 servers. On all of our file shares/SQL servers we use CNAMES for easy DR changes and testing. Primarily we only use DNS aliases from clients to the servers We installed a new app that has a database of UNC locations. The app uses these locations to do some file copies. The problem seems to be that the server itself cannot access the \\myalias\myshare from itself. Extremely strange. When i try to go to run and type this UNC path using the alias on the server itself i get prompted with a username/password dialog. Any credentials i enter here fail. we a...

Convertibility Issue between Windows Excel 2007 and Mac Excel 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have created a very extensive budget for my company in Windows Excel 2007 containing multiple tabs, hundreds of formulas, a few arrays, some conditional formatting, etc. A few of the individuals needing access to the file are running Mac Excel 2008. Unfortunately, whenever I try to send it to them, they are unable to open the file getting an error saying The file might have been modified or damaged from its original format. However, whenever i send it to another user of Windows office 2007 they can open it without any proble...

Server Requirements (Dual Processor?)
I have a P4 3.x ghz processor, 2Gb ram. SQL and Exchange will be running on two different boxes, all will be running win2k3. Will this support 10-20 users? Is the dual processor a hard requirement (will the application install on a single processor box)? Or will the installation fail? Yes, you can install CRM on a single processor box. If this box is only your web server, and you have separate SQL/AD/Exchange servers, you should have no problem. The load on the web server is actually quite light...it's the SQL server you need to worry about! Mike "Gene" <anonymous@discus...

Windows Server 2008 Remote Application
Planning on running GP 10.0 on a Windows 2008 server as a Remote Application (not the full RDP client). Testing is going well, with the expection of Default Printer Selection. Dynamics is not successfully selecting the client's redirected Default Printer. This behavior seems fairly random and other applications that have been published as Remote Applications do not have an issue with printer selection. The goal is that Dynamics GP uses the client's re-directed (via TS EasyPrint) default printer. Clients are running XP SP 3.0, .Net 3.5, and RDP 6.1. Anyone experiencing simil...

installing sql server 2008 express or 2010 express
I get always errors and im not able to continue,,,,,,can anyone help me plz? Thanks On Jan 5, 10:55=A0am, "eusclide" <e...@me.it> wrote: > I get always errors and im not able to continue,,,,,,can anyone help me p= lz? > Thanks 1. This is not the appropriate discussion group for SQL Server issues. 2. If you expect any response at all, you need to indicate the exact errors you are getting. More specifics. "eusclide" <eus@me.it> wrote in news:Ouk449hjKHA.1536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl: > I get always errors and im not able to continue,,,...

Windows 2008
Hello, I want send Clustercommands, set Ressources Online/Offline, against a Cluster. We are using a Windows 2008 x64 SP2 Server. Unfortunately I didn't find any links in the web to help me for this question. Can anyone help me? * witch Power shell version do I need for this tasks * can you give me some Examples Thaks for your help Franz-Josef Only Server 2008 R2 comes with clustering cmdlets. For Server 2008, if you want to automate clustering, you will have to use cluster.exe. There's also at least one other interface: either WMI and/or COM (I can't ...

move to new windows server and upgrade sql server 2000 to 2008
Hi I need to move/upgrade one of our sql server (sql server 2000 SP4 on windows server 2003) to a new sql server 2008 on a new windows server 2003 R2 box. What is the best way to upgrade move the databases /logins etc. If I just backup and restore the database logins/passwords will not be transfered. dbdba -- ontario, canada db There is upgrade advisor for sql server 2008 , search on interent "db" <db@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99D3A184-9888-4ABA-9A2F-AF2363302950@microsoft.com... > Hi > > I need to move/upgra...

what is my server if my computer is vista and office 2003?
my computer is vista home basic with copy right 2007 service pack 2,office 2003 and internet explorer 8. Can I know the followings? 1. What is my server (enable to upgrade server) 2. What is my office 2007 or 2003? 3. Can office 2003 to upgrade to what grade without costs? 1. I doubt very much that you have a server. Are you on a network (home or office)? Why do you think you want to upgrade a server? 2. We have no idea what version of Office you own. You can either look at your receipt or open the program and look in the Help file. 3. Upgrades are not free. -- JoAnn Pa...

There was an error reading the rules from the server.
I received the following error when opening Outlook 2000: 'There was an error reading the rules from the server. The format of the server rules was not recognized'. I have checked there are no rules set in the rules wizard. The server is running Exchange 2000. I tried outlook.exe /cleanrules but no good. I have searched on the Microsoft site and on here, but can't find any reference to this error. Has anyone ever come across it before? How should I take out any server-side rules from Exchange server itself? I haven't done it before. Thanks! There are a couple of tool...

Understanding SMTP Server Object counters
I'm looking at ms techNet mom counters http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/552aeaad-c8c9-45a8-b536-17bde655f7cb1033.mspx?mfr=true Total messages submitted - Shows the total number of messages submitted to queuing for delivery. Does that counter referring to "messages submitted to queuing for delivery" mean they are messages that are inbound or outbound to the current server's mailboxes? In general where is a good source learn about the meassage counters and the direction that the messages are counted comming to the server or going off the server?...

what's the problem with online quote server?
For the past month or two, it's unavailable most of the time. Money keeps telling me to check my internet connection, which is not the problem. I have tried updating prices online at different days of week and different times of day, but I think the success rate is less than 10%. ...

Exchange Server 5.5 and Policy
Hi, I would like to know whether we can set up a policy to restrict an email with a particular subject, "Hello" to send to all mailboxes in the server. Thank you. Not without 3rd party products. CWTAN wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to know whether we can set up a policy to > restrict an email with a particular subject, "Hello" to > send to all mailboxes in the server. > > Thank you. -- Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain. http://spf.pobox.com ...