Server 2008: WinSxS Folder - Large Size Prevents Service Pack Inst

Hi,
Does anyone know of a Server 2008 utility to clear out the WinSxS folder?
On many of our 2008 Servers, this folder has grown to a very large size,
almost 10GB on average.

On one 2008 SP1 server here, the WinSxS directory is 10GB and the total
Windows directory size is about 16GB; but the partition is only 20GB. We
tried installing SP2, but it requires at least 5GB of free space to install.
20GB is within MS published requirements for a 2008 installation.

20GB partition + 16GB Windows Directory + 10GB WinSxS Directory + 5GB Free
Space Needed = SCREWED!

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Hello SteveJHU,

See here about the WinSXS directory and what maybe can help:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/82cb7579-d5fc-4339-b663-1da9545b0818

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hi,
> Does anyone know of a Server 2008 utility to clear out the WinSxS
> folder?
> On many of our 2008 Servers, this folder has grown to a very large
> size,
> almost 10GB on average.
> On one 2008 SP1 server here, the WinSxS directory is 10GB and the
> total Windows directory size is about 16GB; but the partition is only
> 20GB. We tried installing SP2, but it requires at least 5GB of free
> space to install. 20GB is within MS published requirements for a 2008
> installation.
>
> 20GB partition + 16GB Windows Directory + 10GB WinSxS Directory + 5GB
> Free Space Needed = SCREWED!
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Steve

0
Meinolf
12/23/2009 5:14:39 PM
Hello SteveJHU,

Forget this one:
http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/archives/1306-Demystifying-the-WinSxS-directory-in-Windows-XP,-Vista-and-Server-20032008.html

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hi,
> Does anyone know of a Server 2008 utility to clear out the WinSxS
> folder?
> On many of our 2008 Servers, this folder has grown to a very large
> size,
> almost 10GB on average.
> On one 2008 SP1 server here, the WinSxS directory is 10GB and the
> total Windows directory size is about 16GB; but the partition is only
> 20GB. We tried installing SP2, but it requires at least 5GB of free
> space to install. 20GB is within MS published requirements for a 2008
> installation.
>
> 20GB partition + 16GB Windows Directory + 10GB WinSxS Directory + 5GB
> Free Space Needed = SCREWED!
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Steve

0
Meinolf
12/23/2009 5:15:30 PM
Thanks for your reply Meinolf.

Yeah, I actually saw those posts.  They didn't really have a fix though,
just confirmed that it is an issue.  I tried one of the ideas from the
Comments section of one of those posts to use Disk Cleanup, but it didn't
reduce the size of the WinSxS directory.  In fact, it barely made a dent in
the disk usage.

Do you know how others are addressing this and do you know if SP2 or R2
addresses this issue?

Thanks again,
Steve

Outlook 2007 ole registration error in Terminal Services 01-11-10
Hi, I've a Citrix Environment which I look after. My predecessor did the install of Outlook 2007 into the environment so I'm without history on the setup. Still, all is not lost and I've been testing extensively but still to no avail. I'm getting the "An OLE registration error has occurred. The program is not correctly installed. Run setup again for the program." when I try to use the search bar in Outlook. I've tried the regsvr32 ole32.dll fix and the deleting all Application Data files for Outlook in the roaming and local profiles and still...

Excel file size reduction
Can anyone tell me, how can a file size be reduced. For one possible problem (and solution) see http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <fb5801c3f1c5$04b46b50$a601280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Can anyone tell me, how can a file size be reduced. > > "Stacie Pierson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<fb5801c3f1c5$04b46b50$a601280...

Location of Tasks public folder
We use a public folder to manage tasks on a network running Win2000. Does anyone know the actual location of this folder, ie; where does Outlook normally store these folders ? The reason I need to know is that I am using a program called Mighty Sync which has the ability to synchronise any file or folder with my PDA. I have admin rights. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ All public folders are stored on the Exchange server in a publics folders mail store....

Folder Creation slow in Exchange 2003
Hi, I just got through an Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, and am working out the kinks. One thing I noticed, when I create a folder in Outlook (i.e. task list, contacts, calendar, etc.) it takes like 4 minutes to add it. Using Exchange 5.5, it was pretty much immediate. Any ideas? I do still have the 5.5 server in the organization, but it's shutdown. Could this have an impact? Thanks, Troy ...

Losing Mailbox Folder Permissions during migration
Hello. We are in the process of migrating users from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 and we are seeing a problem with permissions on individual folders getting migrated properly. The problem is as follows. After a mailbox has been moved to E2K3 (using Move Mailbox Wizard) anyone that use to be able to view one or more folders in that mailbox is no longer able to. This applies to both users still hosted on the old Exch 5.5 boxes as well as the users now hosted on Exch 2003 boxes. The error that the users are getting when they try to view a shared folder in a mailbox that has been mig...

Check out pack
--wswueplirfjllezb Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="vkjfbszjxu"; type="multipart/alternative" --vkjfbszjxu Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="cbleozoz" --cbleozoz Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your compute...

Message Tracking XML File
Hello: Is there any utility out there that can read the XML file saved from the Message Tracking Center, and present it in an easily readable format? MS explains the XML schema at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms987640(EXCHG.65).aspx but doesn't offer a program to do anything. I found http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2007/11/13/more-exchange-message-tracking.aspx, which looks like it'll take the raw log files themselves and convert them into XML, which isn't what I need. Thank you. -- Regards, M MCTS, MCSA Nevermind....

Exchange 2003 Enterprise / Public Folder Store
Hello, I have the following configuration: - Windows 2003 SP1 with Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP2 - 2 OU with users - each OU has it's own GAL, AL and OAB I created two public folder stores for each OU and to give each OU access to a public folder store. But I even can't my additional Public Folder Store in Outlook. Additionaly I try to replicate one OAB to the additional Public Folder Store. Thanks in advance. Cheers Fabian "But I even can't my additional Public Folder Store in Outlook. " You want to clarify that? "Fabian K´┐Żlling" <FabianKlling@dis...

getting filenames from a folder
hi i am working in MFC Dialog based application. I have the path of a folder in a char array.i want to store all the filenams in that folder(includng the path of each file) in a CStringArray. priya hi please look into this MSDN article. "Battling Backup Anxiety with Win32" Eric Bergman-Terrell there is an example code for FindFirstFile, FindNextFile & FindCloseFile API's hope that helps. sreeram "priya" <priya@transversalnet.com> wrote in message news:068b01c343b6$04b622a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > hi > i am working in MFC Dialog based application...

retrieving email from server
How do you set the timing for retrieving email from server. I would like to have Outlook retieve them several times a day, automatically ...

"Access denied" frm Vista client to Win2003 server, but not XP or
The setup: -A Win2003 server at a hosting site, configured for VPN access. -The Win2003 server has 2 users configured, e.g. Bill and Fred. Each has the 'Allow access' selection for "Remote Access Permission (Dial-in or VPN)" on their individual properties page. -The Win2003 server has 3 shared folders, with share names "Everybody", "Bills Folder", and "Freds Folder", as implied, the 'Everyone' group has read access via the 'Permissions' settings of the shared directory properties. Bill and Fred each have full ...

Large Files
I have created a design in Publisher 2002, A3 size with TIFF images inserted. The Publisher file size is a hefty 8Mb due to the image sizes. The reason I used TIFF's is because I can't figure out how to create JPEG images with transparent backgrounds using MS Digital Image Pro 7. The Publisher file displays and prints O.K. but when converted to a PDF the images are distorted or missing. I have tried many different PDF creators without success. Can't figure out if it is the TIFF's or the size of the Publisher file that is the problem. Please help. ..png (Portable Net...

Leave A Copy Of Messages On The Server
My coworker's PC does not have the option check box to "Leave a Copy of Messages on the Server". It doesn't show up. It doesn't show up in both Outlook Express 6 nor Outlook 2003. Can anyone answer why he doesn't have this function and how to change it? He has to go into our on-line email server and delete his old messages manually. Raymund <Raymund@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My coworker's PC does not have the option check box to "Leave a Copy > of Messages on the Server". It doesn't show up. What type of account? -- ...

discover card: online service not available
I'm currently setting up Money 2000 on my laptop. I tried setting up online services for my Discover card account and Money is telling me the service isn't available. However, the Discover site tells me I can only initiate the download from within Money. Anyone else had this problem? How do I rectify? I don't want to manually enter my previous transactions. sorry everyone, I finally found the answer to my problem. I just rephrased my search on the support page. Thanks anyway!! >-----Original Message----- >I'm currently setting up Money 2000 on my laptop. ...

CRM 4.0
Hi! We have just made a migration from CRM 3.0 to 4.0, and everything went well, except one thing - field Resources is disabled (like it's in read-only mode, but it's not!), and we can't find the way to enable it... Any suggestions....? Best regards, Ivica I'm sure this is a bug - we had it on the fax entity with "to" - Team please take note I modifed the xml - after i look ed at a clean xml to see the diffence Pete "Ivica Ivancic" <ivica.ivancic@infinitas.hr> wrote in message news:5534F8F2-930B-45F1-A503-4D4DBA092E0F@microsoft.com....

Forwarding from personal folder
Error "objects not found" Recieving this error when forwarding multiple items from personal folder. Able to forward one at a time but no more than that. Any assistance provided would be greeatly appreciated. Duane duane.stygar@kellogg.com ...

HowTo:Deliver emails(as .msg) to network folder directly from Exch
Need to deliver emails as their native .msg file with embedded attachments directly from Exchange Server 2003 to a DFS location without having to run an Outlook application instance. E.g. : External email sent > email received into Exchange > Exchange delivers to \\server\share\folder. File/Name is then \\server\share\folder\email.msg in Explorer. Many thanks!! ...

money upgrade problem with online services.
I just upgraded to Money 2005 Deluxe trial version and I can't get my accounts to work online. I go to manage online services and i click set up online services, choose the account type, select the bank, then it gives me the add a new account screen (which actually adds another account, instead of adding services to my existing account). If i try to follow through with actually putting the info in...it just hangs forever and then it fails. ...

Second Public Folder store
I'd like to create a second public folder store on my Exch 2003 server. I am running the Standard version, on Windows 2003 Standard server. I understand that I cannot create a second Mailbox store. I tried successfully to create the second Public store, but I don't know how to access it (either by Outlook or Web Outlook). Can this be done? Hi Tim, Thank you for posting here! In fact, an Exchange Standard server can only have one public folder store. An Exchange Enterprise server can have up to 19 public folder stores. This includes up to 4 mailbox stores and 1 public folder stor...

How to make sure my email server is not spammer
Any steps or procedure can be advise.? Thanks in advance. Hi, You can start to run the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer. Download on http://www.microsoft.com/exchange Regards, -- Menko den Ouden MCSE+I Netherlands "Nickson" <nickson@ms> wrote in message news:ODueFiY9FHA.648@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Any steps or procedure can be advise.? > Thanks in advance. > > ...

Public Folders #63
When I try to access public folders in the system manager in exchange 2003 w/sp2 installed it just hangs and never displays the folders. I have never had this problem before at any of my other clients and was wondering if this points to some deep rooted problem or is there just some minor fix I do to resolve this. ...

Can't get rid of rogue PST file in Folder List
Hi, I have Outlook XP SP1 and latest updates. After a recent reinstall of WinXP I now have 2 PST files listed. One is my normal one, and the other is pointing at a file that doesn't exist. I get the error when I click on it: "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The path specified for the file ... is not valid." I can't right-click to delete it. If I try to create a PST where it is hoping to find one, it won't open it anyway. I've removed all references (there were 2) to that PST from registry. What els...

how to access to a shared folder on a NAS server
In my AD networks (N.1 Windows server 2003 DC and N. 5 Windows XP domain clients) there is a shared folder on a NAS server (Synology DS 101). The access to this shared folder is restricted to some users defined on the NAS server. This username on the Synology matches the username defined on the AD server. The problem is that when I login on the Windows XP client with one of the username defined even on the NAS server I can access without any problem the shared folder on the NAS server from the Windows XP client. If I login to the Windows XP client with a username that is not define...

Large XML data loading?
I have a large (50 million records) XML table data in one of the database that I need to load into another database table. I already have several indexes on the table and due to space issues I can not add any more indexes on the table that includes on the XML field (data.value) I am querying. This query is very slow and can take as long as six days to run. What are my options to improve the performance? Is partition is the way to go? Divide data into smaller portions for loading using row_number function?..... On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:57:36 -0700 (PDT), Bero <robertatnova@gmail....

How to determine current service pack version
I want to upgrade to the lastest service pack for Exchange 2000, but I don't know where to find this out. I have looked throughout the System Manager, but I don't see where this is listed Thank Greg Find the server in ESM, right click on it, and it should tell you in the General tab. Greg wrote: > I want to upgrade to the lastest service pack for Exchange 2000, but > I don't know where to find this out. I have looked throughout the > System Manager, but I don't see where this is listed. > > Thank, > > Greg Highlight the "Servers" object i...