Server 2003 Unbelievably Slow

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to add that I'm not a professional in server systems.

My problem is that my server is unbelievably slow. It is a new (3 months
old) IBM xServer with quad core processor, 4 gb ram, 15k hdd, etc.

I have sqlserver developer edition (db size is 4 gb) running for an erp
software. I also have Kerio WinRoute Firewall on the server where I log all
the internet activities of the users in the network.

The Performance window (ctrl+alt+del) shows at a norma time app. 3-5%.

However, even opening a folder from "My Computer" takes sometimes 10-15
seconds.

But, when I open the same folder by navigating from a workstation within the
network, it opens super fast.

I just installed MS Office 2003 st. version. On a normal pc with single
core, 2 gb ram it doesn't take more than half an hour to install it. But here
it took more than an hour.

To open an application it takes a very long time. But once it is opened, you
can do all the tasks at normal high speeds.

I really do not know what I should check in order to see what's wrong with
the system. Any help or leads will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Kind regards,
m.

Hello membus,

Start the server without any additional services excpet the Microsoft ones
and then add one by one to see if this will give you an option which program
is slowing down the machine.

Therefore start "msconfig" from the RUN line.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hi,
>
> First of all, I'd like to add that I'm not a professional in server
> systems.
>
> My problem is that my server is unbelievably slow. It is a new (3
> months old) IBM xServer with quad core processor, 4 gb ram, 15k hdd,
> etc.
>
> I have sqlserver developer edition (db size is 4 gb) running for an
> erp software. I also have Kerio WinRoute Firewall on the server where
> I log all the internet activities of the users in the network.
>
> The Performance window (ctrl+alt+del) shows at a norma time app. 3-5%.
>
> However, even opening a folder from "My Computer" takes sometimes
> 10-15 seconds.
>
> But, when I open the same folder by navigating from a workstation
> within the network, it opens super fast.
>
> I just installed MS Office 2003 st. version. On a normal pc with
> single core, 2 gb ram it doesn't take more than half an hour to
> install it. But here it took more than an hour.
>
> To open an application it takes a very long time. But once it is
> opened, you can do all the tasks at normal high speeds.
>
> I really do not know what I should check in order to see what's wrong
> with the system. Any help or leads will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time.
>
> Kind regards,
> m.

0
Meinolf

Daylight Savings and my Outlook 2003 calendar
Anybody know why daylight savings jacked up my Outlook 2003 calender? All of my "All Day Event" items were adjusted back an hour so it looks like they last for 2 days instead of 1. Thank you in advance, Tony In Outlook, go to Tools/options/Preference/Calendar Options/Time Zone. Make sure that the correct time zone is set up and that day light savings time is checked. >-----Original Message----- >Anybody know why daylight savings jacked up my Outlook 2003 calender? All >of my "All Day Event" items were adjusted back an hour so it looks like they >la...

Change to Insert Drop Down Menu Items Office 2003 Win Vista Home P
When I click Insert>Auto Text>Signature in Word 32003, all of a sudden, beside many of the choices with an > I'm seeing the message Sign Into Office Live Workspace Beta. As I said, it's beside quite a few of the choices in this drop down list. If I click it, it does nothing. I did nothing to change this. Have I gotten an Update from Microsoft that changed something? Now why would Microsoft release an update that screws up Word Pro 2003. Are we pushing 2007 or 2010? Any answers to help restore this function to its working status is greatle appreciated. I alrea...

Migrating Autotext from 2003-2007 in Outlook
Hi, I'm trying to get the 400 or so Autotext entries my boss uses from the Normal11.dot into NormalEmail.dotm (At least I think that's what I'm trying to do!) - The problem is that although the auto-text works OK in Word 2007 - it does not work in the cut-down version of word that Outlook 2007 now uses. The only way I've found to do this is going through and INDIVIDUALLY clicking each entry in Building Block Organizer and changing the Save- In location to NormalEmail.dotm - this would take hours and hours and hours since there are about 400 autotext entries. Any deirections ...

Sync'ing Tasks on Outlook 2003
My daughter has Outlook 2003 set up on one PC. She has it on a laptop as well. However, she wants to have it so she has all emails, contacts, calendar and tasks on both PCs. As it's a home network and neither techincal experience nor the money are available to run a corporate MS network. we need to work out the best way to do this. I've made a start long these lines on my own home network. I use Google Calendar Outlook Sync to sync both ways between PC1 and Google Calendar. PC 2 uses it too. But it's a one way sync from Google to PC. As for emails, we could configure Outlook to...

Making Exchange 2003 server a DC/GC server?
Is it now a recommended practice to make a primary corporate Exchange 2003 server an AD domain controller/GC server, so that the Exchange server can do local GC lookups faster (as long as the server has the RAM and horsepower)? Robert: I have never seen a recommendation that this is a good practice. While "best practices" for some things change over time, I think this is still a bad idea (IMHO). In an environment with more than a few hundred users, it is just a bad design. Small organizations can't afford this, of course, but larger ones can and should put their D...

Excel 2003 Upgrade
If I only have Microsoft Works Suite 2004, and I purchase the Excel 2003 upgrade, will I get the full functionality of Excel, or just an upgraded Works spreadsheet program? I went to the Microsoft site, and it states that Works Suite 2004 qualifies for Excel 2003 upgrade eligibility, but I am not really sure what that means. Thanks. Steve ...

SMTP/FATAL: Server sent a bare LF
Exchange Server 2003 Windows 2003 Server Spam.xxx.org is a Modus Gate spam appliance some users get the following failure error: XXXX@pivot.net on 5/19/2005 8:12 AM The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. < spam.XXXX.org #2.0.0 smtp; 501 MessageWall: SMTP/FATAL: Server sent a bare LF; please see http://cr.yp.to/docs/smtplf.html> -- Brad Spring Harbor Hospital Do you use qmail at all? We use qmail as an SMTP relay an...

Send/Receive isn't transmitting e-mails from pop3 server
As far as I can trace, I downloaded XP SP2 and since then Outlook no longer can receive files from my pop3 server set-up. I removed XP SP2 and I still have the problem. I click on send/receive, it shows everything to work but e-mails are remaining on my internet e-mail server and not being transferred to Outlook. It was all working a few days ago.... Any advice? "Outlook 2000 SR-1 & Windows XP - Send/Receive" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:259401c4a996$dc144140$a301280a@phx.gbl... > As far as I can trace, I downloaded XP SP2 and si...

Exchange server resending message
I have a SBS2003 server that uses a pop connector to pull over messages from an ISP. The server has been resending an incoming message that has over a thousand recipients! One of my users got an email from a Professional organization he is a member of. Every time he gets a copy of the message, the server starts sending out a flurry of these messages. I spoke to the organization and they informed me that there have been thousands of returned mail. I have checked the server for viruses but have found none. I have up to date versions Symantec Antivirus Server and Exchange Antivirus by Syma...

Reports created in Access 2003
When we upgraded to 2007 all the reports that had been created in 2003 were no longer on the toolbar at the top of the screen and I can't find them anywhere. Help. ...

Want to buy just EXCEL 2003 not the entire microsoft office suite
Hello, > > I live in Toronto, Canada and want to upgrade from a microsoft works > version > spreadsheet to EXCEL 2003. How do I go about doing that. I did download > previously a free trial version of EXCEL but I don't remember the product > key. > > How do I go about purchasing EXCEL 2003 only and not the entire microsoft > offce suite? Can I buy a download and not the CD? -- Jeffrey Brown http://www.microsoft.com/office/excel/howtobuy/default.mspx Or find a third-party reseller http://shop.microsoft.com/helpdesk/reseller.asp The Microsoft Excel 2003...

Problem about Visio 2003 installation
Hi, When I install Visio 2003, a problem is encounted. It asks me to set a path for the file:A5614101.CAB, although I can see that file in the CD root directory. It is really bizarre. My PC is a Pentium 4, HT, which has a Windows XP, SP2 has been installed. Could you help me? ...

Upgrade GP 10 and Citrix terminal server
We upgraded SQL Server to Windows Server 2003. Now I read that a Terminal Services Server has to have Windows Server 2003 as well. Is this only if the TS is used as the server? We have GP installed as a client and all the outside users connect to it (Citrix 4.0). If this is so, then I have to delay my upgrade another 2 weeks :( What about client workstations? Can they run Gp 10 if they only have office 2000? I know some new reports go to Excel, and that is probably why it says Office XP, 2003 or 2007 is required. Can anyone please respond ASAP? Our VAR is out of the office today, and I...

ESM 2003 Help Crash
Using any of the help screens in ESM 2003 causes ESM to crash. This is apparently a conflict with Exchange 2003 SP2 and IE7. Here's an article about it: http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid43_gci1233854,00.html Is there a fix, or is Microsoft planning fix? This is underway. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Dgoldman http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman "Dave B" <daveb@atgnet.com> wrote in message news:%23Jg6weoLHHA.1816@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Using any of the help screens in ESM 2003 cau...

12.1.1 connection to update server interrupted (Message)
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel The subject message has been repeated every time I have tried to download the update since its release. The server can't still be busy, can it? I've checked my connection settings and everything is fine. This seems to be a different problem than not seeing the Office volume on the hard disk. Any help would be very much appreciated! "znovalis@officeformac.com" wrote: > The subject message has been repeated every time I have tried to download the > update since its release. The server can't st...

Exchange 2003 Public Records Requests
Hello all -- I am the Exchange 2003 administrator of a large (500+ users) library. We have a public records requirement that says we have to keep email for a period of three years. However, our top 10 emails users have information stores of anywhere between 1.5G to 2.3 gigs! I would like a way to clean up their deleted items folder of all emails that are older than three years. Is that possible? And if so, then how? thanks, Blake Hi - Check out the functionality of the Mailbox Mananger in combination with recipient policies. You'll probably need to do some reading (the M...

How do I open port 389 (LDAP) on exchange server
I have an application that we want are using to download from LDAP our exchange active directory users. When I scan the exchange server on port 389 the state is closed. How do I change the state to open. Can anyone also brief me on the security risk of opening that port. Thanks in advance. On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:58:02 -0700, Brillmike <brillmike@yahoo.com> wrote: >I have an application that we want are using to download from LDAP our >exchange active directory users. When I scan the exchange server on port 389 >the state is closed. How do I change the state to open. Can...

SBS 2003 UnResponsive after an Hour or so
I first started noticing problems when I was at a remote location and it took longer than normal to log on to Outlook Web Access (Away from the Server on the WAN side of the network). I was able to a few times during the day but as the day went on I just got the logon screen for OWA but was not able to log in. When I got back to the SBS location I tried to logon to the SBS desktop and the system was not responding to Ctrl Alt Del. I just could not access the server desktop so I held the power button in to power down. I hated to but I didn't know what else to do. After I resta...

Access 2007 update queries does not update table in SQL Server 200
We have this application upgraded from Access 2003. This application is front end to SQL Server 2005. When we try to run any action queries, Access will show command executed successfully but it will have no effect on the table in SQL Server. This happen when we use WorkSpace and Begin Transaction. Any updates we do between Begin Trans to Commit trans will have no effect. Please help regards Khuzema UPDATE: We are using ODBC to connect to SQL Server 2005 "Khuzema" wrote: > We have this application upgraded from Access 2003. This application is front > end to SQL Se...

outlook 2003, using windows xp professional and a small business e
hello, we are using this version as a contact managing data base and are looking to add on a pda. which pda's do you think will work best? which data will actually get sent to the pda, ie: addresses, calenders, to do's??? thank you, henry Depends on the sync software used with your PDA. "henry" <henry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F126E82-FD11-4D2A-AFD9-5991034214C2@microsoft.com... > hello, > we are using this version as a contact managing data base and are looking to > add on a pda. which pda's do you think will work best? >...

Fix in for Money 2004, and before, Passport server problem.
New information has been posted on http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Common/NetworkStatus.aspx? regarding the fix to the Money 2004, and before, Passport server problem. The best thing would be to wait until Saturday to let the fix get propogated thru the servers. In message <5metn35637oolcubito5b0jmn773d3sdg1@4ax.com>, Cal Learner-- MVP <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> writes > >New information has been posted on >http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Common/NetworkStatus.aspx? >regarding the fix to the Money 2004, and before, Passport server >problem. > >The ...

Cell shading issue on EXCEL 2003
I'm newly on XP and EXCEL 2003 from an antique computer and old Microsoft versions. I'm unable to view cell shading on the screen even though the "format cells, patterns, cell shading, color" shows that it should be there. It doesn't show for either new spreadsheets or existing ones (which had shading for my input cells in prior EXCEL versions). I've tried everything I can think of.........any suggestions? Is it EXCEL or XP settings? In posting this, I found the answer from Rowan Drummond from the 10/18/2005 posting. Turning off "High Contrast" on...

How can I shutdown Outlook 2003 from the command line ?
I maintain my PST files on an encrypted volume, which is locked for backup purposes as long as OL is running. I have batch file that I run my backup routine from, but I need to shutdown Outlook before doing the backup so I can then dismount the virtual voume and backup the volume file. How can I shutdown Outlook from the coomand line ? KILL seems a bit drastic, scared it will leave things a mess. Thanks, Scott There is no command line option, but this WSH/VBScript file might work. Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") objOutlook.Quit Set objOutlook = Nothing ...

Excel 2003-Compatible
I have a Dell PC with a Celeron processor 1.10 GHz and 256MB Ram. Will Excel 2003 run OK with this setup? thanks! On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:40:29 -0700, "rick" <bongoloid@comcast.net> wrote: >I have a Dell PC with a Celeron processor 1.10 GHz >and 256MB Ram. Will Excel 2003 run OK with this setup? >thanks! It meets the minimum specs, though I doubt that the performance will be stellar with larger workbooks: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822129&Product=xl2003 One key thing is your opertaing system, though; you can't run it on the W...

"Server Error in '/' Application" when adding a new Contact
Since applying roll 2 5 weeks ago, we started getting the error below when adding a new contact inside an existing customer. Can anybody help? the error is as follows: Server Error in '/' Application -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The parameter is incorrect. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: The parameter is incorrect. So...