Server 2003 continually rebooting.....

I was elected to solve a serious issue for our little company, but I am
having serious problems figuring it out.

Our Dell Poweredge SC420 (running Windows SBS 2003) starting rebooting
continually. This was odd as we have a 2 drive RAID 1 built in and I thought
the second drive would take over should the first one fail. (It may well
have....I would not be surprised if the warnings were ignored until both
drives failed.)

Nonetheless, here I am. I have replaced the main hard drive and disconnected
the second drive. I have restored the primary drive's partitions from Acronis
9.1 build 3.718 server edition. The last backup we had was from June 9, 2010.
So, I restored from it, but the new drive and image just kept doing the same
thing. It shows the Dell screen, then the Windows 2003 Server screen, then 3
little squares in the progress bar and it reboots.

Thinking the June 9, 2010 image may be bad, I restored from the June 1, 2010
image and tried again. Same issues. Dell....Windows 2003....3
squares....reboot.....

So, I went back to the May 1, 2010 image and restored from there. Same
issue. I'm thinking that ALL of the images couldn't be bad. The images
themselves do not show any signs of being bad (no red X's or anything).

There is no ASR disk as the original builder did not create one and we
didn't know enough about running a server to make one before this disaster
popped up it's nasty little head.

I tried putting in Disk 1 from the Dell set and rebooting, but it just
installs a second copy of Windows Server automatically. I did not see a time
where I could go into the Recovery Console to muck around with Fixmbr or
Fixboot. (I tried this 3 times, restoring from Acronis after each attempt -
since the attempts all resulted in the attempted install of a new instance of
Windows Server 2003.)

I even ran Spinrite on the old drive but did not see any errors (on level 2
recovery). I guess I could try and run a level 4 maintenance - but that would
take many, many hours and may not pay off either since level 2 recovery did
not find any errors.

What could be the issue? How can I try Fixboot, or Fixmbr if I cannot launch
the Recovery Console? Is there another possible fix that I should try?

We are SOL until I find a way to repair the server. Any suggestions that you
could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

"squishyalt" <squishyalt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was elected to solve a serious issue for our little company, but I am
> having serious problems figuring it out.
>
> Our Dell Poweredge SC420 (running Windows SBS 2003) starting rebooting
> continually. This was odd as we have a 2 drive RAID 1 built in and I
> thought
> the second drive would take over should the first one fail. (It may well
> have....I would not be surprised if the warnings were ignored until both
> drives failed.)
>
> Nonetheless, here I am. I have replaced the main hard drive and
> disconnected
> the second drive. I have restored the primary drive's partitions from
> Acronis
> 9.1 build 3.718 server edition. The last backup we had was from June 9,
> 2010.
> So, I restored from it, but the new drive and image just kept doing the
> same
> thing. It shows the Dell screen, then the Windows 2003 Server screen, then
> 3
> little squares in the progress bar and it reboots.
>
> Thinking the June 9, 2010 image may be bad, I restored from the June 1,
> 2010
> image and tried again. Same issues. Dell....Windows 2003....3
> squares....reboot.....
>
> So, I went back to the May 1, 2010 image and restored from there. Same
> issue. I'm thinking that ALL of the images couldn't be bad. The images
> themselves do not show any signs of being bad (no red X's or anything).
>
> There is no ASR disk as the original builder did not create one and we
> didn't know enough about running a server to make one before this disaster
> popped up it's nasty little head.
>
> I tried putting in Disk 1 from the Dell set and rebooting, but it just
> installs a second copy of Windows Server automatically. I did not see a
> time
> where I could go into the Recovery Console to muck around with Fixmbr or
> Fixboot. (I tried this 3 times, restoring from Acronis after each
> attempt -
> since the attempts all resulted in the attempted install of a new instance
> of
> Windows Server 2003.)
>
> I even ran Spinrite on the old drive but did not see any errors (on level
> 2
> recovery). I guess I could try and run a level 4 maintenance - but that
> would
> take many, many hours and may not pay off either since level 2 recovery
> did
> not find any errors.
>
> What could be the issue? How can I try Fixboot, or Fixmbr if I cannot
> launch
> the Recovery Console? Is there another possible fix that I should try?
>
> We are SOL until I find a way to repair the server. Any suggestions that
> you
> could give would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Running a machine with a RAID disk will allow it to continue in case one of
its disks fails. However, RAID gives you no protection against file system
corruption, software problems or other hardware failures.

In your case file system corruption or software problems appear unlikely,
which machies "other hardware" problems a prime candidate. One of your RAM
chips might be flawed or the power supply might be flakey. I would start by
removing all non-essential adapters. Playing with your RAM banks might also
be useful.

0
Pegasus
6/26/2010 6:19:48 PM
Have you checked your Power Supply lately ?

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"squishyalt" <squishyalt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was elected to solve a serious issue for our little company, but I am
> having serious problems figuring it out.
>
> Our Dell Poweredge SC420 (running Windows SBS 2003) starting rebooting
> continually. This was odd as we have a 2 drive RAID 1 built in and I thought
> the second drive would take over should the first one fail. (It may well
> have....I would not be surprised if the warnings were ignored until both
> drives failed.)
>
> Nonetheless, here I am. I have replaced the main hard drive and disconnected
> the second drive. I have restored the primary drive's partitions from Acronis
> 9.1 build 3.718 server edition. The last backup we had was from June 9, 2010.
> So, I restored from it, but the new drive and image just kept doing the same
> thing. It shows the Dell screen, then the Windows 2003 Server screen, then 3
> little squares in the progress bar and it reboots.
>
> Thinking the June 9, 2010 image may be bad, I restored from the June 1, 2010
> image and tried again. Same issues. Dell....Windows 2003....3
> squares....reboot.....
>
> So, I went back to the May 1, 2010 image and restored from there. Same
> issue. I'm thinking that ALL of the images couldn't be bad. The images
> themselves do not show any signs of being bad (no red X's or anything).
>
> There is no ASR disk as the original builder did not create one and we
> didn't know enough about running a server to make one before this disaster
> popped up it's nasty little head.
>
> I tried putting in Disk 1 from the Dell set and rebooting, but it just
> installs a second copy of Windows Server automatically. I did not see a time
> where I could go into the Recovery Console to muck around with Fixmbr or
> Fixboot. (I tried this 3 times, restoring from Acronis after each attempt -
> since the attempts all resulted in the attempted install of a new instance of
> Windows Server 2003.)
>
> I even ran Spinrite on the old drive but did not see any errors (on level 2
> recovery). I guess I could try and run a level 4 maintenance - but that would
> take many, many hours and may not pay off either since level 2 recovery did
> not find any errors.
>
> What could be the issue? How can I try Fixboot, or Fixmbr if I cannot launch
> the Recovery Console? Is there another possible fix that I should try?
>
> We are SOL until I find a way to repair the server. Any suggestions that you
> could give would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

0
Peter
6/26/2010 8:14:22 PM

"Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > What could be the issue? How can I try Fixboot, or Fixmbr if I cannot
> > launch
> > the Recovery Console? Is there another possible fix that I should try?
> >
> > We are SOL until I find a way to repair the server. Any suggestions that
> > you
> > could give would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Running a machine with a RAID disk will allow it to continue in case one of
> its disks fails. However, RAID gives you no protection against file system
> corruption, software problems or other hardware failures.
>
> In your case file system corruption or software problems appear unlikely,
> which machies "other hardware" problems a prime candidate. One of your RAM
> chips might be flawed or the power supply might be flakey. I would start by
> removing all non-essential adapters. Playing with your RAM banks might also

Pegasus, thanks for the reply.

I have run Dell's built in hardware tests on the RAM, mother board, etc.,
but I have found no errors.

I have also installed a new installation of SBS 2003 onto the same hard
drive that I used to try and restore the server and it runs with no problem.

If it were a hardware issue, wouldn't the new installation fail too?

Thanks for your post, Peter.

I do not believe it is the power supply as I can install another instance of
the OS and it boots and runs just fine.

I can change it out tomorrow in a few minutes though...just to be sure.

"squishyalt" wrote:

> I was elected to solve a serious issue for our little company, but I am
> having serious problems figuring it out.
>
> Our Dell Poweredge SC420 (running Windows SBS 2003) starting rebooting
> continually. This was odd as we have a 2 drive RAID 1 built in and I thought
> the second drive would take over should the first one fail. (It may well
> have....I would not be surprised if the warnings were ignored until both
> drives failed.)
>
> Nonetheless, here I am. I have replaced the main hard drive and disconnected
> the second drive. I have restored the primary drive's partitions from Acronis
> 9.1 build 3.718 server edition. The last backup we had was from June 9, 2010.
> So, I restored from it, but the new drive and image just kept doing the same
> thing. It shows the Dell screen, then the Windows 2003 Server screen, then 3
> little squares in the progress bar and it reboots.
>
> Thinking the June 9, 2010 image may be bad, I restored from the June 1, 2010
> image and tried again. Same issues. Dell....Windows 2003....3
> squares....reboot.....
>
> So, I went back to the May 1, 2010 image and restored from there. Same
> issue. I'm thinking that ALL of the images couldn't be bad. The images
> themselves do not show any signs of being bad (no red X's or anything).
>
> There is no ASR disk as the original builder did not create one and we
> didn't know enough about running a server to make one before this disaster
> popped up it's nasty little head.
>
> I tried putting in Disk 1 from the Dell set and rebooting, but it just
> installs a second copy of Windows Server automatically. I did not see a time
> where I could go into the Recovery Console to muck around with Fixmbr or
> Fixboot. (I tried this 3 times, restoring from Acronis after each attempt -
> since the attempts all resulted in the attempted install of a new instance of
> Windows Server 2003.)
>
> I even ran Spinrite on the old drive but did not see any errors (on level 2
> recovery). I guess I could try and run a level 4 maintenance - but that would
> take many, many hours and may not pay off either since level 2 recovery did
> not find any errors.
>
> What could be the issue? How can I try Fixboot, or Fixmbr if I cannot launch
> the Recovery Console? Is there another possible fix that I should try?
>
> We are SOL until I find a way to repair the server. Any suggestions that you
> could give would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

UPDATE!!!!

Just fooling around with the BIOS settings, I changed the RAID from
Autodetect to ON and she booted up.

There are still issues.  After "Applying computer settings..." (which can
take 2+ minutes) I get "At least one service or driver failed during system
startup.  Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details."

And, the newly imaged drive REQUIRES RAID 1 to be ON.  Is there a way to
change the drive to just be a regular SATA drive outside of a RAID array?

Outlook 2003 and Firefox
I recently started using Firefox as my default browser. I have changed all defaults from IE 6 to Firefox, however, Outlook is the only program that refuses to make the switch. I've checked Program Access and Defaults, and while Firefox is not mentioned specifically, I have it set to use "Current Browser" rather than IE6. I set Firefox as my default within Firefox, and "make sure it's set as default." I changed IE to NOT be the default within IE. What other settings do I need to make to keep IE from opening within Outlook? This has been so frustrating. Thanks fo...

OWA 2003 NEW MAIL Popup
Does anyone know how to tweak the settings for this popup? I need it stay on until it is clicked or the email is read. I am assuming that this is a javascript somewher in the echangeweb folder. I have tried to sniff all of the traffic created by owa and eevery two minutes my machine polls the server for new mail. I am not sure through htis traffic how the popup is being generated. Any help/guidance would be appreciated. ...

How to add a new domain to Exchange 2003?
Hey everyone, We are running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. Our email domain is "mycompany.com". We would like to tell Exchange also except email for domain "newdomain.com". How do I add that at the Exchange level? I now about DNS, MX records and all of that. We don't need all of that, we are just running a test. Thanks for any and all help. Clayton Recipient Policy http://support.microsoft.com/?id=268838 -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Clayton Sutton" <n...

2003 Form fields losing formatting in 2007
Hi there, I have some forms, created in Word 2003, which when opened as a .docx, all form fields revert to Times New Roman font but if they are opened as a .doc, they are in the correct font of Arial. Anyone got any ideas why and how I can fix this? Thanks very much. This doesn't make any sense. Documents always open in the format in which they are saved. What *exactly* are you doing? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com ...

Outlook 2003 incoming mail server
I posted a message this morning asking for help. Harvey Yancey [MSFT] responded, but then I replied and never heard from anyone again. I tried emailing Mr Yancey, but the address harveyy@online.microsoft.com is no good. Please, someone, read this and help me! The initial message is on the bottom. >-----Original Message----- >Hi Tanya, > >What is the complete error message that you are receiving? > >Regards, > >Harvey Yancey [MSFT] >Exchange Client/Server Infrastructure >harveyy@online.microsoft.com > >This posting is provided "AS IS" wi...

CPU spikes on sql server
We have noticed most of the same performance issues that are reported around here, but in trying to research a few of these I noticed the following strange behavior. Every 10 minutes a sql agent runs a process for "stored procedure priming". When this runs, the cpu on the server pegs at 100% for about 30 seconds. then back to 0% or so until the next firing This is a almost brand new install and only 1 or 2 users hit it. We have only begun to put data into it, so there isn't very much. Seems odd to me that a frequently scheduled process would hit things that hard that ...

Server-Requested Client Action error: MoveCopy unable to create dest msg
I have a user receiving this error message. Server-Requested Client Action error: MoveCopy unable=20 to create dest msg Outlook 2002. Theare are no rules configured.=20 Any Idea? tks, Alisson S. Ara=FAjo ...

Outlook 2003 Signature
When using Word 2003 at my e-mail editor in Outlook 2003, I have set up one signature that I would like to use for both "new" mail and on "replies and forwarding". It's working just fine for new mail, but on replies and forwarding I do not get my signature inserted. In addition, the AutoText feature does not give me the full signature as an option of something that I can insert. Your help is greatly appreciated. --David >-----Original Message----- >When using Word 2003 at my e-mail editor in Outlook 2003, I have set up one >signature that I would...

Office 2007 Connection to SBS 2003 via PPTP
We have an SBS 2003 server. We have a number of PCs running Office 2007. One of them is a notebook. When the notebook is in the office, Outlook connects to the server as expected. When we take the notebook out of the office and attempt to connect Outlook to the server thru PPTP, Outlook reports "Trying to connect to Microsoft Exchange" and never gets any futher. No timeouts. No failures. No nothing. Any ideas on how to solve this issue? Configure Outlook to connect over the internet using https/rpc. If you run the connect to the internet wizard and enable this it ...

Need help storing all my emails before i redo my pc outlook 2003
i have microsoft outlook 2003 on windows xp i need to redo my pc but i dont want to loose my emails and contacts and I have too many things stored in files it'sjust too many things to move one by one thanks iris The file you need to back up is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "IrisR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:a1b901c434bd$d94a3940$a...

Outlook 2003-Cannot delete PST files
I started using trial version of Office Pro 2003. In Outlook, someow I ended up with 3 folders I want to delete at the left column under All Mail Folders. When I try to close them, I get "Operation failed. An object could not be found" message. Similar issue is discussed at KB292022, but it relates to Outlook 2000 and I could not find the key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Microsoft Outlook Internet Settings\". I am not sure if I am using IMO or CW. Outlook 2003 does not indicate it at Help-About.... screen. Can anyone h...

backup ISP with one exchange server
we have one exchange 2003 server and we use a External ISP T1 connection and the ISP DNS which has the MX record. 10 email.domain.org (First ISP IP address for the email server) 20 email2.domain.org (second ISP IP address for the email server) We have a backup ISP connection that stays idle. when we switch over to the backup ISP connection (because the first is down) we cannot get the incoming email in. Outgoing works fine. How can we get the incoming email to route to the one exchange server with either ISP? On 18 Jan 2007 18:06:16 -0800, "zakmanx" <lskw360@sbcglobal.net&g...

Exchange Front End Server Question
We currently are running SBS 2003 and Enterprise Exchange. Our SBS box is acting as our front end server. We are moving away from SBS and I will be moving exchange to it own server. Any ideas the amount of power a front end server will require? I would think that since it is only handling http requests, the box does not need to be that powerful We have about 35 users with expected growth over the next 3 years to 80 users. Thanks, Mike 3 years? Who knows, in 3 years you might get a 64bit 16GB RAM 12GHz processor machine for $19.95 to run Exchange <insert new marketing name&...

at times i have to reboot to start Outlook 2003, any help?
it would be appreciated Sounds like you have a 3rd party application or addin that isn't letting Outlook close properly. Try bringing up the task list (start > run > tasklist.exe > ok button) to see if Outlook is still running when it won't start. (check the processes tab) "skimmi" <skimmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42FAFCC7-55BC-45DB-B8D7-674FF9638B14@microsoft.com... > it would be appreciated Not sure if this helped or not? The problem did happen again and tried what you suggested but the screen only flashed up momentari...

Access 2003 file format advange?
We're upgrading our system from Access 2000 to Access 2003. I'm aware that version 2000 databases can be opened in Access 2003 without conversion, and it did, in fact open, but are there any benefits to converting the database to version 2003? Or, are there reasons why our 2000 database should NOT be converted to 2003? It's hard to beleive that it wouldn't matter one way or the other, and think there must be some advantage to converting to a file format of "2003" if we're using Access 2003. Many thanks in advance. On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:31:13 -0500, Si...

Are there any significant differences in Excel 2003 from Excel 20.
I have some reference material for Excel 2002 and just wondering if it will be suitable for Excel 2003. Has anyone seen any significant differnces? Not really. You can read a review by MVP John Walkenbach on his website: http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/xl2003.htm HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have some reference material for Excel 2002 and just wondering if it will >be suitable for Excel 2003. Has anyone seen any significant differnces? >. > ...

OFFICE 2003 OUTLOOK and ENTOURAGE
Who can help me How may I get back all my messages downloaded with Outlook 2003 on my PC to my new Mac with Entourage ?.... It seems just an awful battle ??... Thanks Patrice "Patrice LEFEBVRE" <patrice.lefebvre@bluewin.ch> wrote in message news:C812C86E.2AE%patrice.lefebvre@bluewin.ch... > Who can help me > > How may I get back all my messages downloaded with Outlook 2003 on my PC to > my new Mac with Entourage ?.... It seems just an awful battle ??... See if this helps: http://entourage.mvps.org/cross_platform/win_mac.html -- Brian Tillma...

Outlook 2003 not downloading all my messages
HELP! I sent up Outlook 2003 two weeks ago to replace Outlook Express, which is still loaded on the same compluter. I am running XP as my operating software. The problem is that Outlook 2003 does not download all of my e-mail. Yesterday I clicked on OE by mistake and about 70 e-mails downloaded. I've run test messages and Outlook seems to be acting normally, but now I notice that OE is able to still pull e-mails that Outlook fails to download. Anyone have any ideas???? Thanks, Bill ...

uninstall fonts in Word 2003
How can I uninstall fonts from the drop down menu in this program? There are too many to choose from and I don't use most of them... hate looking through the list each time I want to change fonts. If they're fonts you're never going to use anyway, you Delete them from the Fonts folder in Start > Control Panel. (But if they weren't stored somewhere else in your computer and installed from there, you should move them to a storage folder instead, so that when you do want them back, you can Install them again.) In Word2007, recently used fonts appear in a group at t...

Message Tracking in Exchange 2003
I wish to enable message tracking in E2K3. So, I enabled thisby right-clicking on the server and ticking "Enable message Tracking" and also "Enable subject logging and display". Nothing gets logged into the log file directory. I even restarted the Win 2K3 box hoping it to cick in. What is missing? Your help much appreciated. patrick On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:49:02 -0800, Patrick wrote: > I wish to enable message tracking in E2K3. So, I enabled thisby > right-clicking on the server and ticking "Enable message Tracking" and also > "Enable su...

Exchange Email Router to compatible with SBS 2003?
Just upgraded my installation of CRM 1.2 to 3.0 without hitches. So far so good. One slight lack of due diligence is just biting me in the backside: During installation of the Exchange Email Router, CRM Professional tells me that it cannot install on Small Business Server 2003 (with Exchange). Message is 'operating system version 5.2 is not supported [...]'. I do have access to CRM Small Business Edition through my MSDN subscription. Given that I have CRM Professional on the CRM server, will the CRM SBS Exchange Router work on the SBS 2003 Server? Soenke I'm having the sa...

Extension configuration
After a long days fight on installing I finally managed to start Outlook - however. there still are a few errors. The worst thing is a stuffer error box saying: The extension configuration file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Addins\fldpub.ecf" could not be installed. There is an error in the syntax or format of the file. 2KB 30.10.1998.18:05 I tried to copy the file from my dual boot where it was found (same date). Maybe its a file with actual info stored. Any kind person to tell me whats to do? -- perian ...

Outlook 2003 And Word 2002 as Editor
Can it possibly be true that you cannot use Word 2002 as your editor with Outlook 2003? I just installed Outlook 2003 today and when I tried to make Word 2002 my email editor, it isn't even an option. The choices are Word 2003 and since I don't have that, it is just grayed out. Is there a way around this? What a pain! It's true and always has been. Versions must match. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "CW" <nacpa1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:9AQwb.52495$xV6.24469@lakeread04... > Can it possibly be true that you cannot use Word 2002 as your editor ...

How can I prevent cliparts from disappearing (Publisher 2003) ?
I can see them. I save and close. The next day, everything is there : text, Word art, but no clip art. Help ! Thanks. Read the fourth FAQ here: Why can I not see images/shapes/lines when editing my publication? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "S�raphin Poudrier" <S�raphin Poudrier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F316AACF-6F5F-4505-9229-6D07C48169E7@microsoft.com... >I can see them. > I save and close. > The next day, everything i...

OWA 2003 logon issue
We are now facing the OWA logon issue, the following are the infomation. Environment: Exchange 2003 using as Front-end / Back-end deployment, FE is working as load balancing Symptoms: There are 2 machines, Machine1 and Machine2 There are 2 users, UserA and UserB For UserA logon to Machine1, when he try to logon to OWA, after input the credential, the frame had been loaded but no content inside. Then the credential window keeping prompt up,it is no use to input the credential again and again. UserA then cancel the prompt or click the "ESC" button, the data can be display finall...