Move DC from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008

We currently have a small domain with a Win 2003 (NOT SBS) Server acting as
Domain Controller. It handles DHCP, DNS and AD Services. We are about to
install a Windows 2008 server into the domain and wish to migrate all the
services to the new machine.  Is there a step by step guide on how to do
this anywhere? I have looked on Google and cannot find a simple step by
step guide for the process.

TIA

--
ats@work

The cracks between the paving stones
Look like rivers of flowing veins.
Strange people who know me
Peeping from behind every window pane

The Who - The Real Me
0
Allen

Hello Allen,

Check my article about:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/02/10/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008-or-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> We currently have a small domain with a Win 2003 (NOT SBS) Server
> acting as Domain Controller. It handles DHCP, DNS and AD Services. We
> are about to install a Windows 2008 server into the domain and wish to
> migrate all the services to the new machine.  Is there a step by step
> guide on how to do this anywhere? I have looked on Google and cannot
> find a simple step by step guide for the process.
>
> TIA
>
> The cracks between the paving stones
> Look like rivers of flowing veins.
> Strange people who know me
> Peeping from behind every window pane
> The Who - The Real Me

0
Meinolf
4/7/2010 1:03:20 PM
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:03:20 +0000 (UTC), Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] wrote:

> Hello Allen,
>
> Check my article about:
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/02/10/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008-or-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>

>> We currently have a small domain with a Win 2003 (NOT SBS) Server
>> acting as Domain Controller. It handles DHCP, DNS and AD Services. We
>> are about to install a Windows 2008 server into the domain and wish to
>> migrate all the services to the new machine.  Is there a step by step
>> guide on how to do this anywhere? I have looked on Google and cannot
>> find a simple step by step guide for the process.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> The cracks between the paving stones
>> Look like rivers of flowing veins.
>> Strange people who know me
>> Peeping from behind every window pane
>> The Who - The Real Me

Thanks for this. The steps look easy to follow :-)
--
ats@work

Those who died are justified, for wearing the badge, they're the chosen
whites
You justify those that died by wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites

Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name
0
Allen
4/8/2010 6:52:09 AM
Hi Meinolf

I have just come across this thread, which pretty much relates to what I am
also wanting to do.

The set up we have is a 2-node Windows Server 2003 cluster, with both nodes
as domain controllers and running clustered SQL Server 2003. I realise this
goes against all good practice, but we are where we are.

We have two Windows Server 2008 R2 domain member servers, which we wish to
make domain controllers. We then wish to demote the two existing WS2003
DCs.

I have read your article, but is there anything to add that I might need to
do given my particular setup? I will be doing this all using remote desktop
as well; any reason why this might fail?

TIA

Charles

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb@(nospam)gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello Allen,
>
> Check my article about:
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/02/10/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008-or-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
>> We currently have a small domain with a Win 2003 (NOT SBS) Server
>> acting as Domain Controller. It handles DHCP, DNS and AD Services. We
>> are about to install a Windows 2008 server into the domain and wish to
>> migrate all the services to the new machine.  Is there a step by step
>> guide on how to do this anywhere? I have looked on Google and cannot
>> find a simple step by step guide for the process.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> The cracks between the paving stones
>> Look like rivers of flowing veins.
>> Strange people who know me
>> Peeping from behind every window pane
>> The Who - The Real Me

0
Charles

WINDOWS 2003 Server sp1 AND EXCHANGE 2003
Whe have 2003 server and installed 2003 exchange Server. I want to install sp1 to windows2003 server.. Is there is any problem with SP1? What is the risk of the sp1 for exchange? Selim: I am running SP1 on a lot of different types of configurations and have had no problems. (Well, one, but that was due to an old version Dell OpenManage.) I made a couple of different blog entries recently about my experiences with SP1. You can find them at http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com. They are all pretty recent in my blog. But, here are some other suggestions. 1) Read all the re...

Window Won't Close
It's very strange. When I close my Outlook 2000 SR-1, it shuts down and then, without warning, reopens! It will also happen if I am in some other program. Outlook will suddenly "take over" and switch me out of the program I am working on and into Outlook. HELP ! (It happened twice while I was tyring to post this message for help.) Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle. 2. WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) - contact their support for an alleg...

PDF Add-in for Excel 2003
Hi, Excel 2007 has a feature which enables you to create a PDF document from the spreadsheet. Is there an add-in available for Excel 2003 that does the same thing? I am aware of PDF writer applications which work by sending the printed output to piece of software, but this is not what i'm looking for. So please do not reply, suggesting software similar to Cute PDF, PDF 995 or PDF Redirect. These programs do not give us the desired output, so I am only interested in add-ons which are similar to the 2007 feature. Chris. Thu, 21 Feb 2008 02:38:00 -0800 from Kentucky <Kentucky@di...

Excel 2003 keeps crashing
I dont know if someone could help me out with this issue: multiple users here have this same problem that whenever they open a particular Excel file, it gives them a "Send Report Error." Weird thing about it is it doesnt happen in all their Excel files, only happens to some of them. Also tried opening the very same file/s they are having problems with on my machine and it worked fine. Details: Files are saved in a network folder Files are under 50MB size (varies) Files have Macros imbedded Files have links I have patched Office (SP2), updated Acrobat Reader, updated signatures, u...

[ANN] Office for Mac 2008 prices announced
Microsoft has released prices and packages for Office 2008 for Mac scheduled for release in January 2008. In addition, Microsoft announced a "technology guarantee program," As of September 25, for anyone who purchases Office 2004 for Mac between now and March 15 will get an upgrade to the 2008 equivalent for the cost of shipping and handling when the final version ships. <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/09/prices_for_office_for_mac_2008_annou nced.html> -- Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees) Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org...

Windows XP MARK or SPACE parity
Hello, I've been developing a class in order to access the serial port in Win2000, to communicate with a device network. I am using sticky parity to indicate the peripherals which byte is an address and which is a data byte, so I config parity as MARK or SPACE. It works fine in Win2000, but when I try it in XP it doesn't work any more. I've watched the serial signals with an oscilloscope, and I could see that it didn't do the MARK parity at all. Is there anything I should consider when I change from Win2000 XP? Note: I'm working with dcb's, and SetCommState()...

Web Maintenance for MS Exchange 2003
We are looking for a product which lets our users (customers) maintain their Mailboxes, Public folders and some parts of their AD Accounts via the web. Many thanks for any recommendation ??? Does anybody know or has experience with a product called hostedexpress ??? EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com Better posted in an Exchange group like microsoft.public.exchange.admin. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without readi...

Rule: How many can you have in Outlook 2000, XP, and 2003
I have a user who has 20 rules setup in his outlook. They are multiple rules inside each. Is there a set number of rules you can have before Outlook stops allowing you to turn these rules on? Thanks for the help Terry TPSchaefer <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a user who has 20 rules setup in his outlook. They are > multiple rules inside each. > > Is there a set number of rules you can have before Outlook stops > allowing you to turn these rules on? Not a set number of rules, but a fixed rule space. I think it's 32K. -- Brian Tillman Thaks for...

=?windows-1252?Q?Can=92t_create_backorder_from_invoice_=2D_didn=27t_GP_do?= =?windows-1252?Q?_this=3F?=
I=92m sure I used to be able to do this. In the SOP Setup for doc type invoice I have Transfer Fulfillment Order / Invoice to Backorder marked. I selected to BackOrder All when creating the line in the invoice. But when I post I get an error: Error: a portion of the line quantity is set to backorder. I wanted it to create a backorder document. Here are links to screen shots. http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3426/invoicesetup.jpg http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/641/backorderall.jpg http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/4380/postingerrord.jpg Am I crazy or did GP used to create backorder...

Outlook 2003 #100
I would rather use Outlook instead of Outlook Express. However, when I try to use Outlook a message comes up saying "the object could not be found" When I test my settings in Outlook everything checks out=20 fine, but the test e-mail is sent and received through=20 Express not Outlook. So far I have unistalled then installed; and redid my=20 connection set-up and profile in Outlook w/the same=20 results. I use the exact same settings for Outlook as I do for=20 Outlook Express and Express works fine.=20 Any help would be greatly appreciated. >-----Original Message----- >...

Visio 2003 Sample Code
Hi I am desperatly looking for sample code or Tutorial for developing Visio 2003 in C# Since the Visio 2003 SDK has yet to be released, the Visio 2002 SDK can be used for the basics. (Hidden somewhere on the MS website) John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm "Roni" <ronip@ectel.com> wrote in message news:uFAd5h%23tDHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I am desperatly looking for sample code o...

Running Outlook XP and 2003 side-by-side
I am responsible for supporting users in both 2002 and 2003 clients. How can I run both versions side-by-side on the same machine (the laptop that I take for training sessions)... -s. No can do... only one Outlook version allowed, but multiple versions of other Office components may be used. "-= shaunna =-" <shaunna.jagneaux@gwmail.maricopa.edu> wrote in message news:OtMkTK3zDHA.3416@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I am responsible for supporting users in both 2002 and 2003 clients. How > can I run both versions side-by-side on the same machine (the laptop that I > ta...

FIX: Untracking emails incorrectly tracked for Outlook 2003 and 2007
Hi all, As you know, it is tough to un-link or un-track emails (Outlook records in general) if you track them by mistake or link them to the wrong CRM record. The link below shows how to do it when using Outlook 2007. (I assume it is the same for CRM 3.0 and 4.0 but I cannot test the former since we just upgraded to 4.0.) http://blog.sonomapartners.com/2007/05/remove_crm_link.html The problem was doing it with Outlook 2003. I think I figured a way. You have to follow the steps in the link above but the problem was showing the CRM user fields in the email record to set them to 0. If you ope...

How do I calculate cells across Excel 2003 workbooks?
I have three different workbook files stored in the same folder and I want to have the three worksheets in each of the three workbooks totaled in a new workbook file. I am trying to create a quarterly report from three months of data. All data is located in the same cells in the worksheets in each of the workbooks. If the different workbook files were all in the same workbook, it would be a lot easier. Can that be done? "mj" <mj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99DDF3D0-2951-4FEE-978B-CCA5BE40D955@microsoft.com... >I have three different workboo...

why 2003 excell does not accept dot as decimal points
In 2000 ms excell, if i type 200 and dot (.) it becomes 200.00 In 2003 ms excell, if i type 200. it becomes 2 even I fixed decimal places to 2. I want to get 200.00 by typing 200 and dot. In 2003 ms excell, I have to type 20000 and it become 200 without decimal points so I have to increase decimal points by clicking increase decimal on the memu to get 200.00 Please reply me as soon as possible. Thank you Miki "miki" <miki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4BC6517-F243-4CD1-B807-180B2ADC818C@microsoft.com... > In 2000 ms excell, if i type 200 and dot (...

Infopath 2003, MOSS 2007, email form contents
I need to use our SharePoint site to send user support requests via email. So I created a from in InfoPath 2003 with the necessary fields, added a button to submit it to email as an action, and published it to a document library. And it almost does what I want except: 1) I'd like to put the user info (from the text boxes on the form) into the body of the email instead of as an attachment 2) The user has to actually go into the document library and click the New button. I'd rather maybe create a view that just has a button that does the New functionality? Then I can show j...

Outlook (2003) Connector for Domino
I'm using the newest version (I believe) of the Outlook Connector for Domino - 4/7/2004 - with Windows XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP1. While I think this add-in was the best idea ever, I'm having a bit of a problem. As soon as I change a contact, task, email, or calendar entry, outlook.exe starts taking up 99% of my CPU and won't ever relinquish it until I shut it down. I've been searching near and far for about a week now, and I can't seem to find anyone else who's had this problem (with my config). I've tried random things to try and fix it (updating service pack...

Money 2003's Internet Updates corrupt causes shares transaction
Since Monday (20 Aug 2007), when I do a Internet Updates, my shares transaction records appear to get corrupted. I observed that this seems to happen to shares with a "split". I never have this problem all these years until now. I would appreciate if someone can help. -- Sitt Sen This is the same problem that I am enquring about, and it started on the same date. I do not think that it is corruption. I saw somewhere that it has something to do with "Tickers" having dots or no dots.... But I can't seem to find much more info, yet. "sittsen" wrote: ...

"Can't move the items." out of the inbox?
When I am trying to move some items from the inbox to a folder I get the aforementioned error. Nor can I receive mail. The .pst file is not corrupt. I am running OL2002 and WinME. Loren On the same computer if I open a different account I am able to check email and move messages. Bizarre... Still need a solution. Loren >-----Original Message----- >When I am trying to move some items from the inbox to a >folder I get the aforementioned error. Nor can I receive >mail. The .pst file is not corrupt. I am running OL2002 >and WinME. > >Loren >. > ...

Pop-up window when saving as .xls

AC/DC
AC/DC es una banda de Rock formada en Melbourne (Australia), en 1973, por los hermanos Malcolm y Angus Young. Sus �lbumes han sido vendidos en numerosos pa�ses, con un total estimado de 150 millones de copias,[1] y su �lbum Back in Black vendiendo m�s de 21 millones en Estados Unidos y 42 millones en todo el mundo, haci�ndolo el segundo �lbum m�s vendido de la historia. [2] Aunque el grupo es considerado como pioneros del rock pesado y el heavy metal junto con Kiss,Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple y Black Sabbath,[3] sus miembros refirieron su m�sica como rock & roll. ...

Outlook 2007 Calendar will not open in Windows 7
For no apparent reason, my Outlook 2007 calendar will no longer open. Outlook itself opens fine, I can send and receive email and I can access my contacts, tasks and notes. My forthcoming calendar appointments even show up at the right hand side of my screen on my "To Do" bar. But when I try to switch screens to the calendar, the program simply freezes without any calendar information appearing. The "Calendar" button at the bottom right of the screen highlights in orange, without the highlighting disappearing on the "Mail" button (or "Cont...

OK to Uninstall MS Money 2003?
Greetings, I have just installed from CD Money 2005. I have a backup of the Money 2003 data on disk. Is it safe to remove through the Add/Remove Programs, all instances of Money 2003? Note: There was no prompt to remove the older program when I installed the new program. TIA, Rich In microsoft.public.money, Rich wrote: >I have just installed from CD Money 2005. I have a backup of the Money 2003 >data on disk. Is it safe to remove through the Add/Remove Programs, all >instances of Money 2003? Note: There was no prompt to remove the older >program when I installed th...

2003 will not preview web page
I get this error message when I try to preview a web page. Unable to open C:\documents and settings\Tim\Local settings\temporary internet files\content.mso\pubwebpagepreview\pub3452.0\index.htm Cannot open the specified file. The only thing I can think that may have caused it, i was using Mozilla Firefox for a while, but uninstalled it. The problem began after this. Regards, Tim. I sorted it. Firefox does not uninstall cleanly. It left all htm & html files asociated with Firefox even though it had been removed. >The only thing I can think that may have caused it, i was >u...

Trying to send email with windows mail or outlook, won't configure
Can someone please help me configure this thing!!! I can send a regular email through Windows mail with no problem. I cannot configure Outlook, even though I am using the same info as I used in windows mail. And, most importantly.... I cannot send a Publisher email in either one!!! What in the worl am I doing wrong? They won't go directly to windows mail, even though I have it as my default mail. They continue to go into Outlook even though I have it NOT as my default. They won't send from Outlook, And when I import them into Windows mail, they won't send. Arrrggghhhh! I am...