How to connect two domains?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask how to connect two domains in two different
subnetworks.
Main AD is in site1 with subnetwork 10.0.x.x
Site2 has 10.1.x.x

They are already rerouted so the users can access resources on the
other network.

With this new network I'd like to have central management so to either
create a forest trust or join site2AD into site1 domain.

I did fair bit of research and even if they suggest creating a trust,
it's just the initial period. Later joining it as subdomain is
recommended.

What I'm afraid of is amount of work that would have to be done.
Around 50 computers swapped to the new domain and about 10 users. I
read about exporting SSID (if I'm correct) so then I can do it without
having to create the same username and restore their profile on a new
domain.

The amount of work can be handled, it's just i'd like to do it as
easiest as possible without having unnecessary trouble.

Thanks for any ideas or pointing me the right direction. Appreciate
that.

PS: main domain in site1 is 2003 SBS server, site2 is 2003 SE
0
Juraj

On 04/03/2010 00:09, Juraj wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to ask how to connect two domains in two different
> subnetworks.
> Main AD is in site1 with subnetwork 10.0.x.x
> Site2 has 10.1.x.x
 >
 > <SNIP>
>
> Thanks for any ideas or pointing me the right direction. Appreciate
> that.
>
> PS: main domain in site1 is 2003 SBS server, site2 is 2003 SE

Your situation lends itself to a single domain with two sites.

In any case, the SBS domain is a limiting factor. SBS cannot have any
trusts, nor can it have any child domains. One forest, one domain,
that's it. It also has a max user limit which I think is 75.

You can add a second domain controller to an SBS domain (provided it's
not another SBS server). I'd say your best option would be to make the
site2 Domain Controller a DC for the main SBS domain, and divide the
domain into two sites to minimise the WAN traffic. A potential downside
is that the SBS server has to hold all of the FSMO roles (I think!) and
that might cause problems if the WAN link isn't fast and reliable.

--
Chris M.
0

Normally you can use ADMT to migrate two domains into one, but as you wrote
you are using SBS version on server, which isn't able to create a trust to
another domain, you can't use it.

So you have to migrate the SBS into a "normal" server OS domain first and
then migrate another domain into it or the other way around.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to ask how to connect two domains in two different
> subnetworks.
> Main AD is in site1 with subnetwork 10.0.x.x
> Site2 has 10.1.x.x
> They are already rerouted so the users can access resources on the
> other network.
>
> With this new network I'd like to have central management so to either
> create a forest trust or join site2AD into site1 domain.
>
> I did fair bit of research and even if they suggest creating a trust,
> it's just the initial period. Later joining it as subdomain is
> recommended.
>
> What I'm afraid of is amount of work that would have to be done.
> Around 50 computers swapped to the new domain and about 10 users. I
> read about exporting SSID (if I'm correct) so then I can do it without
> having to create the same username and restore their profile on a new
> domain.
>
> The amount of work can be handled, it's just i'd like to do it as
> easiest as possible without having unnecessary trouble.
>
> Thanks for any ideas or pointing me the right direction. Appreciate
> that.
>
> PS: main domain in site1 is 2003 SBS server, site2 is 2003 SE

0
Meinolf
3/4/2010 12:38:01 AM
Ok, didn't know about that limitation. Limitation for users isn't
really an issue here as we have few staff members using the computers.
Other computers are used under one account by students.

When you say I can add it to the SBS domain you mean that I have to
demote the server on site 2, then add the server into SBS domain,
create trust and add users and all the computers again? Is that what
you saying or is there any other, maybe simpler option?

Regarding FSMO...need to do a bit of research as don't know anything
about it.

Thanks
0
Juraj

Sql Server Indexing With Two or More Columns
I got a question with indexing. If I create an index and select 2 or more columns, what is the difference with that and creating 2 (or more separate ) indexes for them? Thanks mark It depends on what you are doing If you have WHERE Last=@p1 AND First=@p2 there no need to have two indexes , however having WHERE First=@p2 the first index on Last,First may or may not be useful, so in that case having two NCI may be a good idea I mean you need testing it, and make a decision.Also there is no need to create NCI on every column, it is especially true in SQL Server 2005 and onwards w...

Stacked/clustered column chart with a two vertical axes
Much has been discussed here about how to build this chart, but I haven't found anything explaining the possibility of combining it with a second y axis. I want to graph the advertising expenditure and gross rating points (what would be the return of investment on advertising) on television for three diaper brands by day part. Day parts would be represented by the different colors of which columns will consist. There are 5 of them: day, early, prime, late and over. For each brand, I want that two data columns show. The one to the right will represent the expenditure in $ and the one to the...

Combining two accounts as one display
If I have two emails, can Live Mail be configured so that both accounts can be displayed (combined) For me this would prevent 2 deletes, 2 junks, etc.- Thanks. Otzi On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:58:21 -0700, otzi wrote: > If I have two emails, can Live Mail be configured so that both accounts can > be displayed (combined) For me this would prevent 2 deletes, 2 junks, etc.- Back in the good old days of MS Outlook Express, a number of people wanted separate account folders. Now that MS has accommodated those folk, people are demanding a global Inbox. Well, MS, in their infinite wi...

Incoming mail for domain not matched to recipient
Is there any way to have all incoming mail for my domain name that does NOT match my recipients be routed to a single user? Thanks! On Mon, 16 May 2005 12:00:48 -0400, "Jack Ingraham" <jack@selectivesoftware.com> wrote: >Is there any way to have all incoming mail for my domain name that does NOT >match my recipients be routed to a single user? > >Thanks! > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324021 http://www.aloaha.com/software-development/catch-all-mailbox.php http://turbogeeks.com/products/mailbasket.asp ...

Can I change Domain membership of an Exchange server?
Here is my setup. I have two child domains in the same forest. Call them DomainA.company.com and Domainb.company.com. I have 1 front end Exchange server and 7 backend exchange servers. All of these servers are in Domaina except for one. We are eventually going to collapse Domainb. Since these are in the same forest and the same exchange org, can i change the domain membership of the one exchange server? I am nervous about doing this and wanted to check to see if it is possible. My other option is to move the mailboxes to one of the other servers, remove exchange from the domainb serv...

Outlook Connection
What would cause Outlook 2007 to want to connect to "remote.domain.com" while still connected to the exchange server on the LAN. It appears to be looking for a proxy to complete Outlook over HTTP but this is a workstation that is on a SBS 2008 Lan and shouldn't be looking for credentials to access the server. If you cancel, the connection is made, but if you try to authenicate it fails and brings you back to the log in prompt. Any thoughts? What address does autodiscover use? It sounds like DNS is sending it to the internet address. Proxy server could be doing i...

Outlook 2007
First problem: When entering a search into the search box on my Outlook email screen, no items are found. This happens no matter how positive I am I entered the search correctly and that an email exists. Second problem: When in MS Word 2007 (and I'll post this in the Word forum as well), when I go to File / Send To / Mail recipient, nothing happens. Any ideas to help solve these annoying problems? Never mind about my second problem. I got it figured out .... it's Word Perfect I'm having a problem with, not Word ! "Jan" <jan@greenwaldlaw.org> wrote in m...

How to make MSO close the imap connection after checking mail?
Hi, My server does not allow "idle" connections, and therefore the connection to Microsoft Outlook is closed after a while. I then get a error-message from MSO. How can I make Microsoft Outlook close the connection itself after checking mail? (and thereby I will not get that error?) Regards, ´┐Żystein Larsen ...

two personal file folders on OL2003 ?
I migrated from my desktop (OL2000) to a new laptop (OL2003) and have a problem. In 2003 I have two personal file folders...it appears one is for 97-2002 OL version and the other for 2003 ? I have only one pst file on the laptop. Also...both folders seem to be identical ? However...the little icon is different Where did the 2003 folder setup come from...and can I delete one or the other. When I have tried...it says you cannot delete the main mail folder ? Thanks, Tim TimR, you wrote on Thu, 2 Feb 2006 08:45:10 -0700: > I migrated from my desktop (OL2000) to a new laptop (OL2003)...

Comparing first and last names in two lists #2

Outlook Connection Unavailable
When I try an add my Exchange server to Outlook 2007 I get (under any user on this particular machine). The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action. I have edited the hosts file I can ping my server fine Many many others with 2003 and 2007 Outlook work fine I have deleted the .ost files in local settings I have deleted the profile in the Control Panel with the Mail Icon, created a separt POP3 and then went back to add an Exchange box. I have deleted the profile several times and tried to create a new profile several times...

Adjusting Two Columns with Text
I have two columns. I've entered numbered text in each column. As I add more numbered items, the second column keeps adjusting itself downward. Is there anyway to freeze the second column as I add items to column one? I am not really sure what you mean by "the second column keeps adjusting itself downward". Do you have a two column table, or is the document formatted with columns? It sounds like you may have the former when what you want is the latter. Format the document so that it has two columns (via the Page Setup section of the Page Layout tab in Word 200...

Domain name not always needed to log into OWA?

Office Document Connection
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel No matter how many times I click "save my password in keychain" it always asks me for my password when I open up the document connection. Additionally, when I click "new file" , then edit the file and save it does not save to the location I was on the SharePoint site but locally. Other than that great work, this saves me so much time, I can't wait to have it fully integrated in Office! There might be a problem with the Keychain database. Open Keychain Access, then click on Keychain>Keych...

Outlook Two mail accounts
I have a network whith Win2000 server and exchange 2000 server my question is after I configure the clients whith Outlook I add one account POP 3 and one Exchange account in each client I make the POP3 account default, no problem if I make a new e-mail Outlook send it whith the POP3 account but If I reply or foward a -email the program try to send it whith Exchange , the problem is my exchange is just for internal use in the office is not for internet mail so How can I change that behavior to Outlook always send and receive whith the POP3 account and use the Exchange account just for...

USB KVM's always plays 'Device Connect' sound
It appears that USB KVM's with Audio support always make Windows XP computers play the 'Device Connect' sound when you switch between computers. Does anyone know of a USB KVM with Audio that can properly emulate the USB connection to the inactive computer, so that the 'device connect' event doesn't occur when switching between computers? <prubin@equilter.com> wrote in message news:293fbb08-74eb-4b65-8807-1c43540b4c88@o10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... > It appears that USB KVM's with Audio support always make Windows XP > computers play the &...

How can we use 2 domains?
We redistered 2 domains 1. xyz1.com 2. xyz2.com On one office we are using xyz1.com with win2003 server. xyz is working fine. We have 2nd office on different location can we use same machine for 2nd domain name? On 26 Mar 2007 01:35:23 -0700, "@smi" <imaasim@gmail.com> wrote: >We redistered 2 domains >1. xyz1.com >2. xyz2.com >On one office we are using xyz1.com with win2003 server. xyz is >working fine. >We have 2nd office on different location can we use same machine for >2nd domain name? http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=recipient+policies&a...

Record data on two lines
Sorry about repeating the post but I think I messed up the first one yeaterday! I am receiving a spreadsheet from an agency with record information on two lines. Example: Record 1: A1, B1, C1, D1, A2, B2, C2 Line 3 blank Record 2: A4, B4, C4, D4, A5, B5, C5 There are over 100 records like this. They claim they can't fix it... It originates from a Crystal Report. How can I change the data so each record is on one line: Record 1: A1, B1, C1, D1, E1, F1, G1 Record 2: A2, B2, .......................G2 Thanks for any help! Dan A simple way is to 1) select all of the data fields. 2) Cli...

how do I create a chart on two axes with stacked columns and line
I am struggling to create a chart that combines stacked columns on one X axis with a line on a second axis. Both are available as standard charts. Hi, Create the stacked column chart with all of your data. Select the data series you want to plot as a line on the secondary axis. Change the chart type to line. And then on the format dialog change the axis to the secondary. Cheers Andy ian ian ian rogers wrote: > I am struggling to create a chart that combines stacked columns on one X axis > with a line on a second axis. Both are available as standard charts. -- Andy Pope, Microso...

Connection problems
I receive this msg when trying to update my accts. "money was unable to establish a secure connection to the server due to a problem witht he security components on your machine." It goes on to say about not having the latest version of strong encryption. I haven't ever received this before. Everything is up-to-date on the computer, i'm running windows XP with IE6 & MM 2004. Any help would be great cause can't be having the hubby upset about the checking account!! :O} -- Tami Try: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323898 -Mark "...

Exchange 2003 event sink to alert via email when email is sent to a particular domain?
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in writing a exchange 2003 event sink which will send an email alert/or write to a file when a email is sent to a particular domain? Any help would be appreciated. Matthew You should post this kind of question in the development newsgroup. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" <matthew@millers.id.au> wrote in message news:1163600143.175377.165030@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction i...

OWA with multiple domains access
Hello ALL: What am i missing in configuring 2003 OWA with multiple domains access for FE/BE configuration running Exchange 2003 Ent. server? It is not working....please help! I've create new HTTP virtual server for 2 new domains on both FE/BE using: Exchange System Manager -> Created new HTTP virtual server .. using unique headers to start IIS6.0 services .. select/enter domain > exchange path > mailboxes for SMTP domain .. wide open Access Control and Execute permissions (wait for new Virtual server to register in IIS6.0) and performed the following on both FE/BE. .. wide...

Local Area Connection : Access is denied.
I have Win-2000 Advanced Server running on a server box and somehow I have managed to get it all up and running. (ONCE) I have 3-workstation boxes (1 XP-Pro and 2-Win-2000) connected to the Server on the second network card and the first network card is connected to the Internet and sharing the Internet with the rest of the network..... NOW - all of the workstation Local Area Network connections are set-up the same (obtain ip address automatically) - - - WHY will one of the Win-2000 boxes connect fine while the other Win-2000 box and the XP-Pro box both now get an ERROR when trying to...

OWA logon without domain name
Is there a way to set up the OWA logon so that users can either type "domain\username" or type "username" to log on? We used KB article 903942 and Forms-Based Authentication to allow users to log on simply as "username" -- but people who had already been trained to enter "domain\username" are then blocked. Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance. Ron Proschan ...

POP3 not allowing connections
I'm having a problem connecting to my Exchange server to download messages via POP3. MANPI, IMAP, HTTTP, RPC/HTTP all work fine. When connecting via Outlook Express I get the message: ----------- Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.mydomain.com', Server: '10.1.1.2', Protocol: POP3, Port: 111, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F ----------- I have verified that POP3 is running, and is set for use Any Available IP. I can telnet to ...