Help Understanding Microsoft Server Products

Hi all

We are looking to upgrade servers (currently running WinServer 2003) - new
hardware and software.
The Essential Business Server Premium pack appears to be ideal in terms of
the software and package offered.
BUT it appears that there will not be a version of this supporting Exchange
2010 for some months.
This means we put a significant investment into 3 year old software, rather
than catching the up-to-date flavour.

So what's the difference between buying the EBS package and buying
individual software applications separately?

Also, is there additional software included in EBS that wouldn't come with
the basic Server/Exchange/SQL products.

TIA

Phil

0
TheScullster

Hello TheScullster,

EBS is limited to 300 users that's the biggest difference to the normal OS
versions. EBS is not able to built a trust to another domain/forest, another
limitation.

Exchange 2010 will run on Windows server 2008 with SP2 or Windows server
2008 R2, so you need an additional license for this. As EBS isn't that old
i am not sure if there will be new version with Exchange 2010.

Here are some unique EBS features, not included in normal OS:
http://www.microsoft.com/ebs/en/us/overview.aspx

Of course the price a big difference, EBS is cheaper and has some limitations
as described above.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hi all
>
> We are looking to upgrade servers (currently running WinServer 2003) -
> new
> hardware and software.
> The Essential Business Server Premium pack appears to be ideal in
> terms of
> the software and package offered.
> BUT it appears that there will not be a version of this supporting
> Exchange
> 2010 for some months.
> This means we put a significant investment into 3 year old software,
> rather
> than catching the up-to-date flavour.
> So what's the difference between buying the EBS package and buying
> individual software applications separately?
>
> Also, is there additional software included in EBS that wouldn't come
> with the basic Server/Exchange/SQL products.
>
> TIA
>
> Phil

0
Meinolf
1/11/2010 7:50:16 PM
"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote

> EBS is limited to 300 users that's the biggest difference to the normal OS
> versions. EBS is not able to built a trust to another domain/forest,
> another limitation.
>
> Exchange 2010 will run on Windows server 2008 with SP2 or Windows server
> 2008 R2, so you need an additional license for this. As EBS isn't that old
> i am not sure if there will be new version with Exchange 2010.
>
> Here are some unique EBS features, not included in normal OS:
> http://www.microsoft.com/ebs/en/us/overview.aspx
>
> Of course the price a big difference, EBS is cheaper and has some
> limitations as described above.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber

Thanks Meinolf that's just what I needed.
Not easy sifting through the acres of MS web pages to compare products.

Phil

0
TheScullster

Help for ICT Gcse c/w
Hi Basically I am making a model for my ICT coursework (AQA), it's about dog training courses for a vets surgery. For part of it, we have to work out the minimum number of dogs needed for a course to run (has to be less than �50). I have made a table, which links to other worksheets.. No. of dogs: Cost per course: Cost per dog: Can course run? 1 �348.35 �348.35 No 2 �350.60 �175.30 No 3 �352.85 �117.62 No 4 �355.10 �88.78 No 5 �357.35 �71.47 No 6 �359.60 �59.93 No 7 �361.85 �51.69 No 8 �364.10 �45.51 Yes 9 �366.35 �40.71 Yes ...

Microsoft Outlook rules problem.
I have spent the last 10 minutes using http://groups.google.co.uk to find a solution to my problem. Im surprised its never been discussed before. I am a home user with Outlook 2002. I have it configured to connect to my Demon POP3 mail server (Demon being a major ISP in the UK) I have a handful of rules set up to organise my incoming email automatically into various folders based on simple criteria. However, I do not have my computer connected all the time. When I connect (I use Broadband), all my emails comed down together. It appears as though my rules can't keep up with a sur...

Help! ESEUTIL /r (3 character logfile base name)
Who knows the (3 character logfile base name) mean? Thank you so much! "Liu222" <liu222@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<02cb01c4842f$028dbff0$a301280a@phx.gbl>... > Who knows the (3 character logfile base name) mean? > > Thank you so much! usually E00 "Liu222" <liu222@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<02cb01c4842f$028dbff0$a301280a@phx.gbl>... > Who knows the (3 character logfile base name) mean? > > Thank you so much! usually E00 ...

Divide by 0 Help
=(SUM(E98:F98)+D98/2)/(I98-G98) Any suggestions on how I can rewrite this to return 0 if I get a Dicide by 0 Error in any of the calculations. I am a bit of a novice. Check your earlier post. On 05/17/2010 06:48, joey_boy wrote: > =(SUM(E98:F98)+D98/2)/(I98-G98) > > Any suggestions on how I can rewrite this to return 0 if I get a Dicide by 0 > Error in any of the calculations. I am a bit of a novice. joey_boy wrote: >=(SUM(E98:F98)+D98/2)/(I98-G98) > >Any suggestions on how I can rewrite this to return 0 if I get a Dicide by 0 >Error in any of the c...

Unable to log into project server
The company I work for uses Project Server 2003 and we use Windows Authentication to log into project. I have a user that was working fine last week but now he can't log in to project server. He receives an error message. "You cannot log in to Project Server http://name of our server/projectserver because you have not identified http://name of our server/projectserver as a trusted site in Internet Explorer. There is a button "Make Server Trusted" and when we click on the button it first makes sure we can connect to the server, which we can. The next messag...

One Exchange Server for Two Domain Accounts
I registered two Internet domains (domainA.com and domainB.com) and setup one mail server to serve domainA.com. Is it possible to point both domain MX records to the same mail server ip so that both user@domainA.com and user@domainB.com can be handled by the same mail server? Thank you for any input! Should not be a problem. -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Exchange Server http://exchange.mvps.org "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:119301c49ae7$d8cc0a30$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I registered two Internet domains (domainA.com and...

I just got office 2007 help!
After downloading both steps on MS site. I was upgraded for each utility.....ie excel word etc. except outlook it still remains 2003 why? Everything else went to 2007 "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C6D0578-01E5-4E49-BCC1-A1B2B3A1AD69@microsoft.com... > After downloading both steps on MS site. I was upgraded for each > utility.....ie excel word etc. except outlook it still remains 2003 why? > Everything else went to 2007 You need to uninstall Outlook 2003 first...... Because you must first uninstall Outlook 2003 before you install ...

Excel Date
want to be able to have a cell auto fill the first time the sheet i saved so i have the creation date. Then if poss - never let them chang the cell so it keeps record of when the file was first created. Thanks - any help will get some free chocolate! ;-) Arie Astor Chocolate Corp. www.astorchocolate.co -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try some code in the workbook module ; e.g. Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) If Range("Sheet1!A1") = "" Then Range("Sheet1!A1") = Date End If End Sub Then set Sheet1...

Setting Product Defaults
Hello, I am trying to set up defaults for the Unit of Measure and the price list within the quote and order. Our inventory is Great Plains. Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Hi Crysztl, Here is how you can set the default value for a lookup : http://niths.wordpress.com/2007/03/01/my-first-post/ HTH, Niths "crysztl" wrote: > Hello, I am trying to set up defaults for the Unit of Measure and the > price list within the quote and order. Our inventory is Great > Plains. Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated. > Thanks! > ...

How to delete .txt files from \Program+Files\Microsoft+SQL+Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG
Hi All, We have SQL 2005 and would like to automate deletion of .txt files from \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG folder. We have Maintenance plan running which creates .txt files. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks IA On Aug 12, 10:06=A0am, hayko98 <vardan.hakop...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > We have SQL 2005 and would like to automate deletion of .txt files > from \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG folder. We > have Maintenance plan running which =A0creates .txt files. > Any suggestions/ideas? > > Thanks IA ...

Hi all, I have a question regarding the loading speed of forms. I have about 6 forms in my database, each is loaded with lot of controls and VBA driven action that calls numerous queries. So as expected, they do take a while to load, 10 - 30 seconds. For some remote desktop users, it usually take even longer. These forms, however, do not have any onLoad. procedures. All the code are in click of buttons of afterUpdate of dropdown menu and others. The interesting thing is, these form load much much faster (3 secs) when one form opens the next, instead of manually open it from the database wind...

To all microsoft.public.money readers
Note that news:microsoft.public.money is no longer carried on Microsoft servers. So you may get other people to maybe provide a solution if you post to http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/threads. You can also get some more useful information by reading there. Also, if you post there, other sites cannot skim this Usenet content and claim it as their own. Thank you so much for the reminder Dick. "Dick Watson" wrote in message news:wKydnQc_hb_RtFvRnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@earthlink.com... Note that news:microsoft.public.money is no longer carried on Microsoft servers. So ...

Reinstalling CRM on a new server
I have CRM 1.2 installed on a server the database is on a separate SQL server, I now would like to upgrade and move the CRM to a new server. Can any one direct me a procedure to do that Just install MS CRM on the new server and choose "Use Existing Databases"...from the IG: 11. On the Select SQL Server page, select the database server (<servername>) that you want to use. Select Create newdatabases or Connect to an existing database, and click Next. John. "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3d5001c42a4f$df5aa860$a101280a@ph...

Can CRM Share an Exchange Server
Hello, We installed CRM on W2K3 server with Exchange 2003 running on it. We are assuming that this configuration will be OK given that they are supporting an install on SBS. Howerver, we had trouble adding users so we uninstalled. Upon reinstalling we keep getting a failure during provisioning. Can anyone shed any light on 1. Is it Ok to put this think on the Exchange Box? The exchange box only supports 10 users, but it is P4 Dual 2.8 Dell 2850 with 2G ram, so it is plenty powerful. 2. What do we do about this failure during the reinstall? Any suggestions as to where to look ...

OWA with SSL on a Front End Server in my perimeter network
I am currently running a multiple domain forest. The Forest is mixed-mode and the domains are all native 3 - 2000 and 2 - 2003. I have 1 exchange server in each domain. I only use the Root domain as a utilities domain such as DNS, SMS, SUS etc. I also have my OWA with SSL and a front-end server which sits in my perimeter domain. All necessary ports are open from that server to the intranet. I want to be able to use this server for my clients to connect to and be able to log into there mailboxes. I have read the Front-end back-end topology white papers but it seems kind of conflicting. i...

HELP!! Formula for calculating overtime
I'm hoping someone can help me. I can't seem to figure out a formula to calculate OT for my staff. Regular hours per day are 7.5. I'm looking to create a formula for banking time which will break out in two columns hours worked over the regular 7.5 hours per day up to 11 hours per day, and in the second column the hours worked over 11 hours per day. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks so much!! Something like this Hours Bank1 Bank2 6 0 0 7.5 0 0 8.5 1 0 9.5 2 0 10.5 3 0 11.5 3.5 0.5 12.5 3.5 1.5 13.5 3.5 2.5 14.5 3.5 3.5 15.5 3.5 4.5 assum...

Publish multiple OWA servers on single ISA
Hi, I have my setup as follows : Internet <-> (*DMZ*) ISA Server (*DMZ*) <-> OWA1 server and OWA2 server ISA server has 1 ip address NAT'ed & OWA1 and OWA2 servers has one IP address each. I am under an impression that ISA can publish only one SSL enabled website. IS that correct ? How do i publish multiple SSL enabled websites on 443 ? Thanks in advance, On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 02:00:02 -0800, Jack Dorson <JackDorson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have my setup as follows : > >Internet <-> (*DMZ*) ISA Server (*DMZ*) <->...

HELP -- XP Address Book: No Microsoft Solution Listed
What is the plain and step-by-step simple solution for this very annoying error: "A new entry could not be added. You must have a personal address book (PAB) to create an entry. Add a PAB to your profile using the E-mail accounts command on the Tools Menu." It doesn't allow me to create one!!! Even when I do this: right click on my contacts folder, click on 'Properties', then 'Outlook address book' tab. The option 'show this folder as an email address book' is blanked out and not available for me to check or uncheck. HELP You first. What is it t...

Slow respond for open message from Outlook 2000 Client connected to Exchange 2003 server
Dear All, We have migrated the Exchange 2000 server to 2003 (active-passive cluster) for more than five months. Most of our client still using Outlook 2000 and work fine with the Exchanger 2003 server. However, few days before most user complained the Outlook client need long time to open a message (1MB size need around 1 minute to open). After investigation we found the Exchange server utilization and memory usage is normal, and this problem only occurred in Outlook 2000 client, but OWA and Outlook 2003 client still work normally. We have tried to restart the Exchange cluster, but...

Need help formatting text
I am using OE 6 to read newsgroups and I sometimes post articles that I find on the web, often copying and pasting articles into new messages. However, when I do this, it formats it in such a way that when I open my posts, the paragraphs are separated by at least 3 lines, rather than 1 line. I have tried adding an additional step of pasting articles as unformatted text in word before I paste them in a new message in OE. It seems that no matter what I do, however, I get this weird extra spacing between the paragraphs. Anyone have any idea how to solve this problem? -- Aloha, G-Ride &qu...

Help needed with Circular References
Hi, I am developing a Excel based solution and that requires circular reference in the formulas. However I am ok with setting the limit that each cell be calculated only once. My question is what the order of recalculating cells is. Is it row first starting from A1 or column first starting from A1 or is it the order of entering the cell formulas? Depending upon the order in which the cells are calculated results can change. For example, if the formulas in the cells A1 to A5 are as follows (value in the bracket indicates initial value when formula is entered): A1: A5+1 (1) A2: A1+1 ...

Countif help!!!
Thanks in advance for any help offered. I have a table with GPA's and need to calculate the different ranges. I have the function for 3.0 an above and less than 2.5. I am having trouble figuring out the formul to count how many students are in the range of 2.50-2.99. I thought I could do this: =countif(f2:f406, ">=2.5+<=2.99") I get "0" as a result. any help is appreciated : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, You can use Sumproduct... =SUMPRODUCT(--(F2:F406>=2.5),--(F2:F406<=2.99)) Hope this helps -- Message posted from h...

HELP! #18

OWA with Exchange 2003 Server (SBS2003 std)
Hi there, Since some time now, I can't open mails thru OWA. I can log on, I can see the messages, but while loading the pages, I get the yellow warnings that there are errors. I can see the message header, but if I double click on any message, nothing happens. I tried it on 10 different PC's with all different locations and Operating systems. Can some one help me? Thanks Duncan On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:06:28 -0800, Kankantrie <Kankantrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi there, > >Since some time now, I can't open mails thru OWA. I can log on, I can see &...

Exchange 2007: Email to the internet possible without Edge subscription? (stand-alone Exchange server)
I just installed E2k7, i created a send connector to domain "*" and have set my external smtp server (smtp.externalhost.com) as smarthost. However, email sent to the internet gets bounced with the message: undeliverable. I don't have Edge subscription. What should I check? On 29 Oct 2006 14:08:45 -0800, "Prem" <premmetje@zonnet.nl> wrote: >I just installed E2k7, i created a send connector to domain "*" and >have set my external smtp server (smtp.externalhost.com) as smarthost. >However, email sent to the internet gets bounced with the message...