Does a 'grace period' exist for Server CALs??

I am presently planning a new Win2k8 R2 DC/TS/AD/DNS server install.

I know the TS/RDS CALs have a "grace period" which allows me time to
obtain however many additional CALs we need.

Does a similar "grace period" exist for the Server CALs per se??

If I don't have enough Server CALs (device) at the time of setting up
the server and people's computers connecting to it via Terminal
Services/Citrix, what will happen??

I haven't found anything searching the Internet...

Thank you, Tom

0
tom12010

Hello tom12010,

See here about the grace periods depending on the OS version in use:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732346(WS.10).aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> I am presently planning a new Win2k8 R2 DC/TS/AD/DNS server install.
>
> I know the TS/RDS CALs have a "grace period" which allows me time to
> obtain however many additional CALs we need.
>
> Does a similar "grace period" exist for the Server CALs per se??
>
> If I don't have enough Server CALs (device) at the time of setting up
> the server and people's computers connecting to it via Terminal
> Services/Citrix, what will happen??
>
> I haven't found anything searching the Internet...
>
> Thank you, Tom

0
Meinolf
3/20/2010 1:53:22 PM
On Mar 20, 9:53=A0am, Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] <meiweb@(nospam)gmx.de>
wrote:
> Hello tom12010,
>
> See here about the grace periods depending on the OS version in use:http:=
//technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732346(WS.10).aspx

> Best regards

Thank you, the link talks about *TS* cals grace period, that is not
what I am asking about.

I'm asking about the *Server* CALs," not TS and not RDS...

Thank you, Tom
0
tom12010
3/22/2010 4:48:38 PM
tom12010 wrote:
> On Mar 20, 9:53 am, Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] <meiweb@(nospam)gmx.de>
> wrote:
>> Hello tom12010,
>>
>> See here about the grace periods depending on the OS version in
>> use:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732346(WS.10).aspx
>>
>> Best regards
>
> Thank you, the link talks about *TS* cals grace period, that is not
> what I am asking about.
>
> I'm asking about the *Server* CALs," not TS and not RDS...
>
> Thank you, Tom

If you are asking about the Server license, then there a mulitple periods of
'grace' starting with the first 30 days. I think the maximum is 180 for 2008
and R2.

User / Device CALs are access requirements. Not really any "legal" grace
period that I'm aware, but then not enforced by technology for general
server products. Buy the CAls you need as soon as you know you need them or
before.

--
/kj

0
kj

Calculate 1st of month date from existing date.
I want Excel to post a starting date which is 45 days (or other time period) from an initial date. The rules are: (1) If the date is under 15 (middle of the month) set the starting date to the 1st of the month as calculated and (2) if the date is 15 or over, set starting date to the 1st of the next month. For instance, if my starting date is January 1st, 2006 and I want the date 45 days from there, the answer is February 15, 2006. Reset the calculated value of February 15, 2006 to February 1, 2006. If the date was February 16, 2006 (46 days after start), set the date to March 1, 2006. Th...

Server/Client Side Rules Not Working?
Hello all, We have an Exchange Server v5.5 build 2653.23 SP4 running on a Windows 2000 SP4 machine. Whenever ANY one of our Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003 clients tries to create a rule it ALWAYS defaults to client-side, and never actually executes. There are no errors logged in the Applications event log on the server or client. Here is some additional info you may find useful: 1. The Exchange server resides in domain:CDS 2. Users logon to domain:NT (2-way trust established with doamin:CDS), their primary account is listed in ExchAdmin as NT/Username. 3. When users logon to do...

Analytical Accounting GP10 Reporting Periods
Hi, I have just installed AA on a GP10 company. Everything installed great. The AA setup was run and went through without a problem. I setup dimensions and codes e.t.c, and posted transactions with analysis detail. However when I tried to do a AA distirbution query - I got erros that whatever period I entered e.g. 0 or 6 e.t.c. was invalid. I then looked at the AA Options setup under Reporting Periods and found that all my years up to 2005 had reporting periods data completed, but all years after this were blank. I am also unable to generate these periods. I have tried dropping and recre...

Setting email so server will not save emails on server
I have two computers. ( Desktop & laptop) I seldom use the laptop but when I do use it and get my emails it brings up every email that I have already read and deleted from desktop. Is there a setting where I can set so the server will not keep the deleted emails? On both machines: Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Advanced - Check: Leave a copy of messages on the server. On one machine only, (The desktop would be logical for you), check to Delete messages after X days to satisfy your allotted space you get from your server, and Remove from server when d...

VBA to count periods in a single cell
I am looking to count the number of periods within a single cell using vba. For instance if I have 4 cells that contain the following: 5M09-0000700.01.10 5M09-0000700.01.10.10 5M09-0000700.01.10.10.10 5M09-0000700.01.10.10.20 Thus the output of the code for the first cell should be '2', the second cell output would be '3', and the third/fourht cells would be '4' because that many period characters were encountered. Data within these cells will contain letters, numbers, periods, a few spaces and the "-" dash symbol. Any help is greatly appre...

Global change to Reminder period?
When my wife switched recently from Outlook 2000 (or 2002?) to Outlook 2003, many of her Reminder periods appear to have changed arbitrarily. Is there a global mechanism that would enable her to change *all* Reminder periods to "1 day"? Lindsay Graham Canberra, Australia "Lindsay Graham" <LDGraham@aapt.net.au> wrote in message news:4B834567.8030606@aapt.net.au... > When my wife switched recently from Outlook 2000 (or 2002?) to Outlook 2003, > many of her Reminder periods appear to have changed arbitrarily. Is there a > global mechanism th...

Distribution Lists residing on exchange servers
Hi All, I am trying to export distribution lists in Outlook 2003 to load onto another comupter that is on another domain. Here is the scenario: Computer A is on domain 1. Network migration occurs. Computer A is now on domain 2. I want to take the GAL from domain 1, and put it into their outlook on domain 2 (I don't need it to be updated). The two domains are totally seperate from each other... (i do not own domain 1, i DO own domain 2). I've tried several methods like creating a new data file copying info to it, then opening the file in the other domain. I have been unsuccessfu...

server auto reply to sender after employee is terminated
I have Exchange 2000 server. One employee left the company. I want to have his account deleted. I want excahnge server auto reply to the sender if this deleted account got a message. I want the server reply, like " xxx this person is not working for this company any more, Please contact with yyy for related issue." Before you delete the account, log into it and set an Out of Office rule with info as to whom requests can go to. "Joy" wrote: > I have Exchange 2000 server. One employee left the company. I want to have > his account deleted. I want excah...

CRM client for outlook on a terminal server
I have installed CRM 3.0 and when I run the terminstall it gets to the end of the install but has errors. It shows that all the files have been copied succesfully. The last 3 lines say the following. ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value. this is a 2003 network. have you installed this? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cbad1af7-8fde-40f2-8df5-935a363f87d9&DisplayLang=en "Microsoft CRM 3.0 Desktop Client for Outlook Deployment with Terminal Server" "Kevmer" <Kevmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

Migrate Sun mail server to Exchange 2k3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C66782.59BB62E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is there a tool for Migrating mailbox on sun mail server(netscape) to = Exchange 2003? Or, could you give me any experiences on this point, thank you for your = any inputs. Owen 2006.4.24 ------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C66782.59BB62E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="gb2312" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> &...

Changing newsgroup servers...how?
I have been trying without success to access news groups on news.individual.net... but I keep getting an error message Outlook express was unable to switch to newsgroup***** on the server news.individual.net. 480 Authentication required Configuration Account. news.individual.net Server news.individual.net Any suggestions please Andy The news server requires you to supply a userid and password in order to access it. Did you configure the account properties correctly? "laroffie" <laroffie@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:cfo5v7$f1b$1@news-reader1.wanadoo.fr... &g...

Duplicate emails on exchange server 5.5
Im using w2k server sp4, and exchange server 5.5 witn sp4 also Im suprised that some of the users are receiving duplicate emails local and internet and it is continously increasing and annoying to the user that they received the same kind of emails despite the fact that they read already. What seems to be the problem. Thank you very much in advance for your help. Manny >>receiving duplicate emails local and internet local and internet? Are they different messages? Is the user a member of a distribution list and are the messages sent to the DL and the user? Manny wrote: > Im...

Server documentation with Visio
Hello! I would like to create a Server documentation with Visio. For example: The type of server, the vendor, disks, shares, user rights and so on. Do you know any examples for this task? Or do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Tom If you use the Visio network diagram shapes, they all have preset data fields (called custom properties) that sit behind them and can store this type of data. For example, the Server shape in Visio 2003 (in the Basic Network Diagram template) has custom properties like: Asset Number, Serial Number, Location, Manufacturer, Part Number, etc. To look at the c...

Outlook 2003 & POP3/SMPT Mail Servers
Hi...I can't get my Outlook 2003 to connect to my Network Solutions e-mail account. I was receiving e-mail just fine before on Outlook Express, but ever since I bought a new laptop running XP and upgraded to Office for Small Businesses, I can't get it to check for e-mail. All of my settings are the same. I wasn't able to send mail before because my ISP is AOL, but I at least would receive my e-mail. When I test my e-mail settings, Outlook 2003 goes through everything fine except for the send test e-mail step. Could this be a Firewall issue? HELP!!! What error do you ...

SQL server process scheduling from GP 9.0
hi friends, I have created a stored procedure in ms sqlserver. i need to run this process after certain interval which i want to handle from G.P. i.e. i want to schedule this back end process to run after every 1 min. this i want to manage from G.P. 9.0 can anyone help me out thanks in anticipation ...

rpc server not available by re-associating mailbox account
hi i have an exchange 2003 in a windows 2003 child domain. we have a branch office, it had windows NT4 and now it was upgraded from NT to windows 2003 als child domain in our forest (now trust between our domains) Before this,we create account and mailbox for people of this domain in our Domain (no trust betwen us) in order to use Exchange (dual account ,one by us to have an mailbxo with it and one local in their domain) Now i dont need anymore to have this and i want to associate the local AD-account instead of the account we created in our domain with the mailbox. so i thougt follow...

Outlook client bandwidth to remote exch5.5 server
We are using exchange 5.5 and are going to get some clinets access the server through our WAN links. They are going to use outllook 2000 and are going to access the exchange server like if it was local. We have a huge bandwidth pipe to our exchange server but I just want to how much bandwidth would for example 60 clients take if they were accessing exchange 5.5 through the WAN link at the same time. Or for example how much bandwidth would one outllook client take. If you need to know more parameters please let me know. On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:43:54 +0100, "gurvinder.nijjar" <...

outlook remember wrong server name
Hi. I have installed exchange 2003sp2 on windows 2003sp1 inside a windows 2000sp4 AD domain. I have exported mailboxes data with exmerge from an exchange 5.5sp4 installed on the windows 2000 DC. There isn't any AD connector. Here is my network diagram: windows 2000 ad domain |windows 2000sp4 DC| --------- |windows 2003sp1 DC| -------------------- -------------------- exchange 5.5sp4 exchange 2003sp2 Now outlook doesn't connect to the new ex2003sp2 till I shutdown exchangeIS on the windows2000sp4. It always connect to the windows 2000 server w...

Reporting on MS Project Server in java
Hello, I am trying to use MS Project server PSI in java. I could create java stubs by using the wsdl. Now if I want to see all the projects, I couldn' find any API in the Project Web Service. I couldn't find any help related to the same. Is there any way where I can get list of Projects availaible in MS Project Server or do I need to go through the reporting database route? I wanted to use the WEB SERVICE route as I dont have to worry about the security. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Milind. Milind: The correct place to ask developer questions ...

How do I run a SQL query against a MS SQL Server database from exc
How do I run a SQL query against a MS SQL Server database from within Excel 2002? I know it can be done somehow using the SQL.Request addin function. However my attempts using this function have continually failed. Can some one please provide a working example to the pubs or Northwind dbs that I can work with and use to help debug my attempt? Thank you! ...

DO I need to do a forest prep or domain prep to install my second Exchange 2000 server on the site
no...forestprep needs to be run only once in an entire forest, and domainprep needs to be run once per domain... "Jay Taylor" <help4u@gmail.com> wrote in message news:#MpjqXUYFHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > > No, it's not necessary. -- Jorge Patricio D�az Guzm�n MCP http://www.itpro.cl This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Jay Taylor" <help4u@gmail.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:%23MpjqXUYFHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > > On Wed, 25 May 2005 12:22:14 -0400, "Jay Taylo...

SP3 for Project Server 2007?
Does anyone know when SP3 for Project Server 2007 will be released? We haven't been informed of any planned dates yet, but you can get the service pack as it is being developed by staying current with Cumulative Updates. Ultimately, the Service Pack is the culmination of the CU process. -- Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com FAQs and Reference http://www.projectserverexperts.com BLOG: http://projectserverhelp.com "Rickard" <Rickard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BDDA6F5-D6AA-4BFB-B6D6-68F39DF...

"Server Not Found"
Hi, I'm running Office XP on a desktop and laptop. On my desktop, all is well when I VPN into my work's Exhange computer. However, starting about 1 week ago, my laptop will not connect to the server. VPN works fine (seemingly), and all settings for Outlook and the VPN seem to be identical for the two computers. The dialog box says "your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable." I have tried Outlook's built-in repair function, but the results are the same. Any ideas? ...

User tried posting checks to closed period.
I have a user who tried to post payables checks to a closed period. They didn't tell me about it until after they had clicked through the error. The batch is showing a status of remittance processing. It doesn't show up under post checks or print checks but it does show up under edit checks. Nothing shows up under batch recovery. Is there a way to force the transactions on through? They have already mailed the checks so we don't have the option of voiding them somehow and redoing them. Robert Fann Sorry. I luckily found the batch under process remittance and ...

connection to server interrupted only with wireless
I have Outlook 2003, alltel dsl, using a wrt54g ver 5 router setup as pppoe. I can get wireless and wired to work fine accessing the internet, but when i am wirelessly connected i get "Connection to server interrupted" errors. The weird thing is I can setup an out of alltel network email account such as name@anythingotherthenalltel.net and outlook works fine. I have repaired outlook, created a new profile in outlook, deleted all messages online, but yet it still doesn't work. The router was replace once by linksys due to wireless issues so that is taken care of. Oh and befo...