Diagnosing horrible performance on Server 2003 Installation

I'm running a medium-sized website hosted on a virtual server running
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition.

In the past few months, performance *really* gone downhill. At first I
blamed this on certain embedded ASP code (not all affected pages used
it, but I suspected it could still be hurting them if it was inflating
memory usage). But performance is still horrible after a fresh reboot
when memory usage is low (it typically increases until levelling out
at about 270-330MB). And turning ASP processing off on those pages
doesn't help much either.

Where should I start when trying to determine what the problem is?

Is it possible that our host has started trying to squeeze too many
virtual servers onto one machine? Are we to blame? (The size of the
website has grown steadily and significantly, but traffic hasn't). Is
circa 300MB reasonable usage for w3wp? Is the MS Malicious Software
Tool sufficient for standard web security use?

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

- MM

0
Metre

Hyperthreading? As far as I'm aware, no. The processor is apparently
an AMD Opteron 270 (2GHz); I assume this is the processor on the
"real" machine running the virtual machine.

-MM
0
Metre
12/7/2009 8:37:09 PM
>Hyperthreading? As far as I'm aware, no. The processor is apparently
>an AMD Opteron 270 (2GHz); I assume this is the processor on the
>"real" machine running the virtual machine.
>
>-MM

Ok then, already running SP2? Not sure if Web Edition has an SP2 for
it though.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
0
Thee
12/10/2009 7:50:24 PM
Service Pack 2? No; having checked, it's running Service Pack 1; would
this make any difference?

To be honest, I think it's mostly fixed. There were a couple of issues
I found (after spending quite a while on it). The first was that a
sidebar menu that was dynamically generated (but doesn't change *that*
often) was being reloaded on every page- we fixed this by setting the
"EXPIRES" HTTP header setting.

The second was that a Perl-based redirect page that a large proportion
of links on the site go through was taking the opportunity to clean up
old files *every* time it was run. It wasn't needed anything like that
often, so we put a rand() in that reduced it to approx. 1 in 40 times.
(The slowdown was due to it reading the directory listing, which- due
to us having tens of thousands of files in that directory- *way* more
than the system was probably meant for- created a noticeable delay).

The feedback was still appreciated though. Is there a systematic
method that IIS users normally go through to diagnose this sort of
thing, or is it really a case-by-case diagnosis?

- MM
0
Metre

Exchange Server Information Store not starting automatically...
Hello, when I have to restart the Windows Server 2003, or when there is a power outage, etc... when the Server Restarts I manually have to go in the Services and start the Exchange Information Store. Below are the few entries that precede the Notification that the Information Store did not start: ***************************************************************************************************************** THINK I FIXED THIS PROBLEM AND IS UNRELATED TO EXCHANGE INFORMATION STORE Event Type: Error Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7000 Date: 11/5/2006 T...

configuring outlook for exchange server 2--3
When adding an exchange server to outlook, outlook cannot contact the exchange server by dns name or by ip address, yet from the command prompt the pc can ping the ip address and and resolve the dns name of the exchange server. The error message says that outlook could not resolve the address. Have tried reinstalling outlook 2003, no difference. This is not common to all PCs, which are all 2k sp4. It is not a mailbox problem! Any ideas?? You've established that it is not the server so it must be the client. Any AV with port blocking rules? This would explain the ping and name ...

Is it possible to enlarge fonts in Outlook 2003 Navigation Pane?
Hello, I have a user with a visual disability and she needs big fonts. Recently, she has said her navigation pane has gone back to the default font settings and she needs them to be large again. Note: she wants to change only her Outlook view; she is resisting going to the display settings and using large fonts there. I need to know if this is possible to do, without making everything in her windows setup large. I don't see an option to attach a screen shot, so here is a link to show what area I'm talking about. <a href="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/44408...

Default Contact List OL-2003
How do I change the default Contact List accessed under "Show Names from the:" section after Clicking on the "To:" option while creating a new Message in Outlook 2003? Open the Address Book, then Tools->Options and set your preferred list from there. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Joseph asked: | How do I change the default Contact List accessed under "Show Names | from the:"...

How to replicate mailbox between two exchange servers?
There are two Exchange server 2003 (Exch1 & Exch2) in two locations with win 2K3. Those servers are connected over dialup connection using Routing and remote access service. All users mailbox is created in Exch1. But, it is need to replicate and accordingly synchronize the mailbox into Exch2. Could you give me the solution anyone? Try these links. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bedf62a9-dff7-49a8-bd27-b2f1c46d5651.aspx http://infoworld.com/article/06/10/02/40TCfailover_2.html http://www.xosoft.com/products/f_WANSyncHAExchange.shtml "Emon" <Emon@discussion...

How I set up an offline Exchange 2000 recovery server (5.5 upgraded to 2000, Backup Exec 8.6)
At work, I was put in charge of setting up an offline recovery server and had quit a bit of trouble in getting it to work. We have an exchange 2000 server that had been upgraded from exchange 5.5 and we use Veritas Backup Exec 8.6 with the Exchange Option. FWIW here's the steps, maybe it'll save someone some headaches. The following sets up an exchange server in a completely separate and offline domain ( In no way connected to our network. I matched the name to our real domain, though). The following is the procedure to do it, I just generalized it by removing our domain name, A...

2003 service account in wrong domain???
Exchange 2003 - the server was built in the root ABC domain. the service account was created in the DEF domain where exchange was installed and all user accounts are. My cohort told me (and management) that this was wrong and would cause permission problems down the line. Management now wants me to rip out exchange and do it again - even though it's in production all ready. Is this going to cause a problem - I do not see where not having the service account at the root domain is wrong, but I am new to this so would like as many responses as possible. It took me 3 months of many long ...

Calendar changes in Outlook 2003 not showing up following mailbox move
We have recently migrated some of our users from our native Exchange 2000 Server over to Exchange 2003. All clients are using Outlook 2003. Previously, the admin would keep the calendars of her two managers open within her own calendar pane, and new meeting agendas that she sent would appear immediately as "tenative" on the calendars of her two managers. However, after migrating her and her managers to the new Exchange 2003 server, her managers' calendar isn't being updated automatically nor immediately. (if at all). If she sets meeting agendas for users still on the olde...

Cannot open newly installed Money Plus Deluxe
Just download and installed from online purchase to Windows XP. Saved to desktop then installed. Cannop open, just keeps re-installing when I click on run. I already have another Money Plus Dlx. on my cptr., purchased another to extend my quote download to 1/31/11. Pls help. -- Carol ...

Can I Customize Outlook 2003 Map Link?
In the Outlook 2003 contact form, the "map link" button attempts to display the location of the contact based on the address information. This feature used to work well, but lately it is extremely slow and often doesn't produce results. I would prefer to use Google Maps. Is there a registry entry I can use to accomplish this? The page http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/displaymap.htm describes how to do this for earlier Outlook versions but this appears to break Outlook 2003. Do I have a workable option? AFAIK, you cannot customize it. it's reportedly broken for older v...

CDO crashes OL 2003
Hello, I've installed Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 and additionally CDO Hotfix KB818709 solving interworking problems with Outlook 2003. CDO works fine as long as I use OL Xp or ealier or do not start OL 2003 on the same development system. If OL2003 is started then the following simple CDO code crashes OL 2003 when accessing the basic session properties: Dim oCdoSession: Set oCdoSession CreateObject("MAPI.Session") oCdoSession.Logon "", "", False, False msgbox oCdoSession.Name & " " & oCdoSession.CurentUser.Name After OL crashes the oCdoSessi...

Backup of Exchange Server
I am getting following error while backing the Microsoft Information Store. What might be the problem. Backup started on 27-Dec-04 at 5:30 PM. The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d). ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d). ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-' The operation was ended. What are you using to back up Exchange? 3rd party software (Veritas...

How to disable auto-balance in Money 2003
How do I disable this feature? ...

Unable to open/expand the file menu
When in Word I am unable to open/expand the file menu. It just highlights the word "File" but nothing happens when I click on it. All other menu's work just fine. I have ran a detect/repair but that did not work. Any help would be appreciated. Go to Tools > Customize > Toolbars. Select "Menu Bar" in the list and click the Reset button. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. butter wrote: > When in Word...

Great Plains and SQL Server Clustering
Does anyone have any experience with Great Plains and SQL server clustering - either a Server cluster or Network Load Balance cluster? It is something we may start looking at, but it would be helpful to know if there are any deal breaking issues before diving in and spending a bunch of time on it. I have a couple of documents I can send you regarding this subject. Just send me a message. "YCI" wrote: > Does anyone have any experience with Great Plains and SQL server clustering - > either a Server cluster or Network Load Balance cluster? It is something we > may st...

News in Go-Menu in Outlook 2003
News has disappeared from the Go-menu in Outlook 2003 and I cannot restore it becuause the command is no longer available in the Customize - Commands menu. Any help would be much appreciated. AA Make sure Outlook Express is set as the default newsreader in Control Panel-> Internet Options-> tab Programs For additional solutions see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/news.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Anthony Allport" <an...

Exporting users from Exchange 2003
We have a production domain with windows 2000 and exchange 2003. I have setup a test domain which is completed isolated from the production domain, but it has the same domain name. Its used for testing. I have setup an exchange server 2003 on the test domain. The test domain has no users and mailboxes setup, so its difficult to do any testing like exchange 2003 DR. Is there anyway I can export users and mailboxes from AD and in exchange 2003 from the production domain into the test domain. This way would make it easier then just to create mailboxes. On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:41:25 ...

Great Plains should use Transaction Processing in SQL Server
This concerns Great Plains version 7.5 on MS SQL Server 2000 SP3. Day before yesterday a brief electric power outage occurred exactly while a user was posting a batch of invoices in PM. The database server and other network components were on UPS and did not fail in any way, but the workstation PC doing the posting was not on a UPS and it rebooted. This left the invoice batch in a sort of "half posted" state. In fact there was resulting damage in both the PM and GL areas of the database, because we have the system set up to post through in detail to GL. We first attempted...

codee@sympatico.ca won't download folders from server??
Hi My codee@sympatico.ca e-mail account won't let me download e-mail folders from the server on Windows Live Mail. It appears dim and unclickable when the drop menu appears when i right click on my e-mail name. All Help would be much appreciated, this will determined if i continue on using Windows Live Mail Thanks very much I'm not sure what you are asking. You don't download folders.. you download messages. If you have an IMAP account you can sync folders. Please, in detail, explain what you are attempting. "Canibe" <Canibe@discussions.microsof...

2000 migrate to 2003
I have a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 site that wants to upgrade to 2003. We are planning to use new equipment for the exchange server and a file server, and reuse 4 additional servers. What is the best practice upgrade the exchange server first or the AD Doesn't make much difference, especially if you are planning to upgrade both within a short time frame. However, either way, I'd recommend to run Exchange 2003 Forestprep first. That way, if you do decide to upgrade your DC's to Windows 2003 first, you won't end up with mangled attributes. http://support.microsoft.com/def...

Outlook 2003 crashes when I trying to print mails
Hi Folks!!, I have a issue with Outlook 2003. When I open a mail to print it causes a crash and Outlook is closed with a error message. I have locked on event viewer and I can see the next error: Tipo de suceso: Error Origen del suceso: Microsoft Office 11 Categor�a del suceso: Ninguno Id. suceso: 1000 Fecha: 13/03/2009 Hora: 13:30:31 Usuario: No disponible Descripci�n: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8169.0, stamp 465f28e3, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 6.0.2600.0, stamp 3b842046, debug? 0, fault address 0x001e9b62. Para obtener m�s informaci�n, vea el Centro de ayu...

Pass Mark Performance Test 7.0 any good?
Has anyone any comments on the Pass Mark Performance test 7.0 for Windows 7? Intel Q8200, 6 GB RAM. To test overall system? ...

Weird problem with auto quotes in Word 2003.
I've noticed that in Word 2003, when I close a quotation after a dash, the auto-quote makes it a beginning quotation mark instead of an ending quotation mark. Has anyone else run into this? It did not happen in Word 2000. How can I fix it? -Al- ...

Exchange Server Services will not start
Today I changed the administrative password and restarted the Exchange Server. When I logged as the administrator the following message appears "At least one service or driver failed during system startup, use event viewer to examine the log" In the event viewer, the following events are recorded: 1. Site Server cannot initialize the foll object: GetLastError()=87: Init Ldap Extension 2. The server failed to start due to initialization error. Verify config. Error Description: GetLastError()=1326: Logon Users for Anonymous users. 3. All the MS Exch. Services did not start because...

exchange 2003 and Symantec Mail Security, ver 4.5, spam setting
I have just installed Symantec Mail Security for Exchange ver 4.5 onto my server. My server is Windows 2000 running Exchange 2003 server. In the Span Prevention settings of the Symantec Mail Security for Exchange, I am trying to use the Real Time Blacklist option. I have selected it for use and typed in the blacklist: sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, bl.spamcop.net and have saved my settings. When testing to see if it is working, i sent an e-mail to nelson-sbl-test@crynwr.com (from www.crynwr.com). I then received an 2 e-mail response stating that the SBL block is not working. I have tried typing in...