dc as a file server

is it bad practice to have your dc as a file server as well. 100 people or
less.  One dc is Exchange and the other is the file server.  Just wondering
if I should put a member server in and move the file server over to that one?

any thoughts appreciated.

Not necessarily. This is common for branch offices to use the DC as the
office file server also

hth
DDS

"joe schmo" <joeschmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> is it bad practice to have your dc as a file server as well. 100 people or
> less.  One dc is Exchange and the other is the file server.  Just
> wondering
> if I should put a member server in and move the file server over to that
> one?
>

> any thoughts appreciated.

0
Danny
4/14/2010 5:16:36 PM
Hello joe,

In a small environment it is normal i think, normally a DC should do it's
basic job. But if you use it for data storage i would at least use a separate
disk then the ones where AD database files are stored.

It is more bad practise to run Exchange on a Dc and it isn't recommended.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997407(EXCHG.80).aspx

http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2007/11/13/exchange-server-2003-and-domain-controllers-a-summary.aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> is it bad practice to have your dc as a file server as well. 100
> people or less.  One dc is Exchange and the other is the file server.
> Just wondering if I should put a member server in and move the file
> server over to that one?
>
> any thoughts appreciated.

0
Meinolf
4/14/2010 7:13:45 PM
A DC should be a DC, period....

If you can add another server you should get Exchange off of the DC it
is on. This is not a good situation.

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 4/14/2010 1:05 PM, joe schmo wrote:
> is it bad practice to have your dc as a file server as well. 100 people or
> less.  One dc is Exchange and the other is the file server.  Just wondering
> if I should put a member server in and move the file server over to that one?
>

> any thoughts appreciated.
0
Hank

Old servers showing up in "Create an exchange mailbox" wizard.
Greetings, I have a customer who removed some Exchange 5.5 servers in an usual fashion, and as such I removed them from the ORG by using ADSIEDIT to delete them. The problem is these mailbox servers are still showing up as target options in the create a new mailbox selection wizard. How can I clear these dead and gone servers from this list? The SRS databases and ADC are long gone, and the enviornment is native mode 2003. Also I thought at one point making a server a front-end server made it not show up in this list. I see all their front-end servers in this list, so I am guess my recollectio...

sites and services servers
Hi I recently went into our AD site and services and noticed under servers there are about 4 servers that havent been online for months. Is it safe to just remove/delete them here? Also our licensing server is listing a dead server? Wondering why it never showed anything in event log. This is a 2003 sp2 server in a small domain with 2 other DCs Thanks Shem You need to perform a metadata cleanup. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736378(WS.10).aspx You can follow this article to change the licensing sever http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc...

Problem With Front End Server Exchange 2003
i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. i got Error message on my screen There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be at Lease on RPC-HTTP Front-end Server in the organization before the RPC-HTTp back and serve. so how can i configuration RPCHTTP Front End www.microsoft.com/exchange On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:11:04 -0800, dua <dua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i m running exchange 2003 Stan on server 2003. >i got Error message on my screen >There is no RPC-HTTP Front-end in your exchange Organization. There Must be >at Lease on R...

Collation on moving GP to new server
We have GP9 running on SQL 2000. We will be moving it to a new server with SQL 2005. (and then upgrade to GP 10). The instructions in KB878449 say that the new SQL server sortorder must be the same as the old server. The old server is Latin-General, binary sort. We wanted to make the new server Latin-...CI... Is there any way to do this? Due to the way DynamicsGP makes use of the tempdb, the Server default collation MUST be the same at the DYNAMICS and Company database, otherwise the tempdb will not have the same collation and you WILL get errors. Therefore, the SQL2005 instance must b...

750 KB file saves 10 times longer than a 900 KB file
We use a spreadsheet in our office that has numerous macros. This spreadsheet is approximately 750 kb. I created another file with no macros that is about 900 kb. The 900 kb file saves enormously faster that the 750 kb file with macros I spend a lot of time waiting for these files to save all day long. I have tried moving the macros to another sheet to see if that would help - but it only helped minutely. I have no add-ins checked (I saw that suggestion on another post). Any suggestions are hugely appreciated. Thank you. I've never noticed a difference in time based on if a workbook cont...

Box when opening File
Quick question...When I open up one of my saved files, Visio automatically puts some kind of box (function box possibly) around my heading and some of the text. I'll take it off and save and it isn't there. But when I close the file and then open it up again later it's there again. I try to delete the box but it deletes my text with it. I can't resize or delete the box (actually conjoined boxes) by itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to call...214-981-6324. Thanks! Try changing the line weight of the shape to none. John... Visio MVP Nee...

Email addresses in a comma-delimited (CSV) file
I am trying to create a csv from another application to be imported into Excel. One of the columns will contain email addresses. Is there a way that I can format the data in the column to have the addresses be 'links' when brought into Excel. First, hyperlinks are not just formatting. The Insert|hyperlink style of hyperlinks are objects in excel. Second, CSV files are plain old text. They don't hold these kinds of objects. (And they also don't contain any formatting properties, either.) But third, you may be able to cheat a bit. Can you go back to the othe...

Leave copies on server with Exchange 2003
Hi all, I have a user who normally connects to an exchange server in the office, but he likes to connect to his mail box via pop3 on his phone/pda when out and about. The trouble is that the pda downloads his entire mailbox every time and removes them from his inbox on the server, even when 'Leave a copy on the server' is checked. I've tested this in the office using Outlook Express to confirm that this is happening. How can I have the server leave a copy of everything in the exchange mialbox, while sending new items to the device which requests them? Many thanks, Garet...

Problems saving excel file from outlook
I have an EU that whenever he saves an excel file from outlook, it will rename the file (by adding the number "2" at the end of the file "file2.xls") and it also changes all the embedding links in the document. (The embedding link of F:\users\file.xls changes to c:\documents and settings\file.xls) Are you setting a Hyperlink base for your links? See Menu > File > Property > Summary tab. Put the original folder location there and when you move or save the file the links will not be renamed. Also assigning a letter to the drive can cause problems (not ...

Server Error: 0x80191002
Hi. What does this error message mean? Server Error: 0x80191002 Server: 'http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/Sync.aspx' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x80191002 I'm on XPsp3 and using Live Mail Desktop 14.0.8089.0726. I haven't been able to synch my account from the desktop client since yesterday morning. The web interface is working fine, but that's not very convenient for me. Graeme Several sites suggest deleting the account and recreate it as an attempt to correct this issue. However, there are also many which state you must contact...

pdf. file
Help!! Someone has sent me an e-mail with a pdf file attachment. For some reason, unknown to me, I can't open it. Any suggestions, tips or clues??? thanx in advance Do you have Adobe Acrobat/Acrobat Reader installed? If you save the file to your hard drive, can you open it? deb wrote: > Help!! > > Someone has sent me an e-mail with a pdf file attachment. > For some reason, unknown to me, I can't open it. Any > suggestions, tips or clues??? > > thanx in advance do you have adobe reader? "deb" <nikko-cat@rogers.com> wrote in message news:0...

Problem after e-mail server re-start
Hi, I have the prblem for OWA users to access the Exchange server every times re-started the server, and Outlook users using IMAP connection also experience delays or hangs. The following is found in the event log Source: W3SVC Event ID: 101 The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exchange' for the directory 'M:\speedsourcing.com\MBX' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code. From the Internet Services Manager, paths for Exchange, ExchWeb & Exadmin are all unavailable. The first two can be manually r...

can cvs files be opened using excel viewer
i have a user who cannot open cvs files with excel viewer but can ope with the full version of excel...anyone experienced this problem and i so, can you pls post the resolution -- darrie ----------------------------------------------------------------------- darriel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2388 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37522 There is nothing in the description of the Excel Viewer to suggest that it can read anything other than true XLS files. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;...

help attaching files
Hi... Using XP Pro and Outlook 2003. For some odd reason, I am unable to attach files when sending emails. Click on the 'paperclip', window opens to the My Doc folder. then when I click on a sub folder to open, nothing happens... finally, a Microsoft Word window opens that it is unable to open.... It is almost as if it is trying to launch Word to open the folder... Help? Thanks! -- B'rgds, Vinnie FWIW, from the Microsoft side a new Knowledge Base Article (KBA) was released on Apr 15th. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165 It lists two known conflicts so far....

Converting Eml files to Msg files with code
Hi. Sorry if this question is overly simple. I'm developing an integration project between Exchange and SPS. I read the message on a public folder of Exchange with ADO. I use ADO's stream object and save the message as a file. Created file formatted as .EML file and has .EML extension. We want to read this file in Outlook but it can't open the file. Because of this I need to format this file as .MSG file. I don't need a tool. I should make this process in code. Is there any API or code sample. Thanks in advance. ...

Transferring contacts from OAB file
Hello, I am trying to transfer the entire GAL from a work PC to a home PC. I copied the oab, ost, and pst files to an external harddrive but have not been able to open the offline address book in Outlook at home. The pst opens fine. Any assistance or ideas appreciated. Thanks Love your attempt in regards to the oab/ost, but take a peek at http://www.slipstick.com/exs/portagal.htm <dextrorama@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1148816290.691150.313800@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > I am trying to transfer the entire GAL from a work PC to a home PC. > > ...

how do I get old versions of modified files?
I made a mistake and modified a file, how do I get back the old version? Thanks From your backup, which, of course you take every evening !!! John G "Power Image" <Power Image@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:910DFC71-460A-4169-A56E-AB90D905E9C5@microsoft.com... >I made a mistake and modified a file, how do I get back the old version? >Thanks ...

Open & update another file (through macro) while running macro
I am using MS Excel 2003 and I need help to solve my problem. One excel file (suppose A.xls) in which I’ll update my graph and the data is available in another file (suppose B.xls). What I am doing (through macro) is that I have created one button (in A.xls) and when I pressed it; its open the file B.xls (the data file) and at their I select month from drop down from which its update the pivot table based on the selection month and then same I was doing with another data excel file (suppose C.xls). Query : Is there any solution that when I pressed button from file A.xls its ...

DHCP server behavior
Hi, In Windows server 2003, assume a connection session is in place and the remote host's IP is assigned by a DCHP server. What would happen if the DHCP server wants to assign a new IP to the remote host? Will the connection end? or, Will the server wait till the connection is gracefully ended by the user and then assign a new IP to the remote host? Thanks Yba Hello Yba, The DHCP server never assigns a new address from itself. The client makes the request for a new lease after the half lease time. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provid...

Server Crash and Recovery
Hello! I have 1 2003 server that was running AD and Exchange on it. I have back ups of System State and Exchange Databases. Now the server crashed. I have another server(slightly different hardware) and I want to restore everything from back ups, but i can't find the proper procedures to do so. Can some one help or point me to proper white papers. Thank You go here...tells you everything you need to know: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopg de.mspx -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Kory" <koryg@community.nospam> wrote in message ne...

i have problem with password to email server
i just got on the sight. How do i go about finding out the password to outlook express to the email server. I have to set up a internal email system. and everytime i get to log on outlook express it pops up with a window to enter a user and password. but i dont know it. How do i get my password back. can i get in touch with isp and get it. ...

Rename a Virtual Dyamics GP server.
I have discovered another advantage to running Dynamics GP on a Virtual machine. We have had this deployed for a client since 2004 and they have about 5 seats of Dynamics GP. But the firm sells product off their web site and it interacts with Dynamics GP in the data center. We needed to do a test environment, but the CTO wanted the exact "State" of the Dynamics GP server to be used in the test. Rather than do a GP migration to another server I tried a different approach. I shut down the VM off hours and made a copy. Then I set the Virtual Nick to Host only. This would pre...

Configure single Outlook 2003 Account to try multiple outgoing servers?
Is there a way to configure a single Outlook 2003 account to try different SMTP servers for Outgoing mail? I log in from two different locations, and both are behind firewalls. And from each location I can't get to the other SMTP server to send my mail. To get around this, I've created two Outlook accounts to use. One for each location. But this is not a good solution, because I have to remember to use the correct account, and it's easy to make a mistake. ....When I do, the outgoing mail very quietly sits in my Outbox, and doesn't get sent. People get very upset at me for ...

Installation of Project with SharePoint already on server
Hello all, I installed Microsoft Office Project Server 2007 Trial on my server that already had WSS 3.0 installed. The installation was successful but I can't find anywhere to access the "Office Project Web Access" site that is supposed to be provisioned. When we installed this on a server without WSS already there, it installed WSS and made the Web Access site. On the server that already had SharePoint, there is a new template called "Microsoft Office Project Workspace" but a site made off of that template is not the same as the Web Access site au...

Exchange 2000 Instant Messaging Server not working properly
After I upgrade my windows enviroment from 2k to 2k3.The exchange enviroment is still in Exchange 2000 native mode. But my Instant Messaging Server start having problem. User can not login into the services intermitantly. Is there any solution or explaination for this? ...