can I set default screen saver on new users?

WS08-R2

Hi All,

    Can I change the default screen saver that
new users get when I create a new user account?

Many thanks,
-T
0
ToddAndMargo

Hello ToddAndMargo,

You can configure GPO settings for the screensaver under this path:
User configuration, administrative templates, control panel, display

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> WS08-R2
>
> Hi All,
>
> Can I change the default screen saver that
> new users get when I create a new user account?
> Many thanks,
> -T

0
Meinolf
3/27/2010 6:12:10 AM

On 03/26/2010 11:12 PM, Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] wrote:
 > Hello ToddAndMargo,
 >
 > You can configure GPO settings for the screensaver under this path:
 > User configuration, administrative templates, control panel, display
 >
 > Best regards
 >
 > Meinolf Weber
 > Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
 > confers no rights.
 > ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
 > ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

Hi Meinolf,

Thank you for the response.

I should have said that the Terminal Server (TS) was not an
Active Directory (AD) controller and that the Domain
Controller the TS uses is a simple NT Domain Controller
(Samba), so no AD and no Group Policy Editor.

What I need is the registry setting that the system
uses when it sets up a new user.

-T
0
ToddAndMargo
3/29/2010 12:46:43 AM
On 03/28/2010 05:46 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:

> What I need is the registry setting that the system
> uses when it sets up a new user.

Found it: http://www.zoneutils.com/regtricks/screensaver.htm

0
ToddAndMargo
3/29/2010 1:21:52 AM
ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 03/28/2010 05:46 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>
>> What I need is the registry setting that the system
>> uses when it sets up a new user.
>
> Found it: http://www.zoneutils.com/regtricks/screensaver.htm

The information there is not quite correct, they make many references
and suggest making changes to the "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\" hive to have
settings apply to all new users, that isn't the "New Users" hive at all,
it's the machine profile, the New Users hive is the Ntuser.dat in the
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User folder.  The "Default" hive in
the registry doesn't correspond to the same profile, the loaded hive
list and their corresponding files can be seen at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist

John
0
John
3/29/2010 11:13:28 AM
On 03/29/2010 04:13 AM, John John - MVP wrote:
> ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> On 03/28/2010 05:46 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>
>>> What I need is the registry setting that the system
>>> uses when it sets up a new user.
>>
>> Found it: http://www.zoneutils.com/regtricks/screensaver.htm
>
> The information there is not quite correct, they make many references
> and suggest making changes to the "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\" hive to have
> settings apply to all new users, that isn't the "New Users" hive at all,
> it's the machine profile, the New Users hive is the Ntuser.dat in the
> C:\Documents and Settings\Default User folder. The "Default" hive in the
> registry doesn't correspond to the same profile, the loaded hive list
> and their corresponding files can be seen at
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist
>
> John

Hi John,

   Thank you!

   Follow up question.  I noticed that in both regedit and Windows
Explorer (not IE), I am not get into the "C:\Users\Default User"
directory.  And, I noticed that the directory had a link arrow
on it.  Properties did not tell where the link pointer either.

   But I did notice a "C:\Users\Default" directory and I was able
to edit its NtUser.dat.  Did I edit the correct hive?

May thanks,
-T

0
ToddAndMargo
3/29/2010 8:59:15 PM
On 03/29/2010 01:59 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 03/29/2010 04:13 AM, John John - MVP wrote:
>> ToddAndMargo wrote:

>>> Found it: http://www.zoneutils.com/regtricks/screensaver.htm
>>
>> The information there is not quite correct, they make many references
>> and suggest making changes to the "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\" hive to have
>> settings apply to all new users, that isn't the "New Users" hive at all,
>> it's the machine profile, the New Users hive is the Ntuser.dat in the
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Default User folder. The "Default" hive in the
>> registry doesn't correspond to the same profile, the loaded hive list
>> and their corresponding files can be seen at
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist
>>
>> John
>
> Hi John,
>
> Thank you!
>
> Follow up question. I noticed that in both regedit and Windows
> Explorer (not IE), I am not get into the "C:\Users\Default User"
> directory. And, I noticed that the directory had a link arrow
> on it. Properties did not tell where the link pointer either.
>
> But I did notice a "C:\Users\Default" directory and I was able
> to edit its NtUser.dat. Did I edit the correct hive?
>
> May thanks,
> -T

Dave on the registry group answered me:

 > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959753
 >
 > Dave

 From Dave's link:
           The default local user profile files are located
           in the following folders.

           Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows
           Server 2008 R2

                 Drive_Letter:\Users\Default

           Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, U.S. English
           editions

                 Drive_Letter:\Documents and Settings\Default User

So I got the right one.  Thank you Dave!

-T
0
ToddAndMargo

disabling splash screen?
How do I turn off the splash screen in Outlook 2000? Thanks. -- marx404 ...

Settings Button (administrator features) Missing in Web Brower Cli
The Settings option in the web Browser client is missing on one machine but not on others. I deleted the cookies and restarted the browser and the Setting Button appears. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to correct the problem without deleting all cookies? Mark Nabors Hi Mark, I have noticed this too. It is very frustrating. I have read a post that says that this is a conflict between the web client and the outlook client. I think that the outlook client creates the cookie so that settings does not appear in the web client and not the outlook client. Supposedly this woul...

Disabled User Issues
Source: MSExchangeIS EventID: 9548 Disabled user does not have a master account SID. Please use Active Directory MMC to set an active account as this user's master account. The problem is, the user account in AD is long gone. Actually, the whole OU where the accounts existed is also long gone. Any way to fix this. All the KB articles seem to be based on the fact that the account still exists. Thanks! Find the 'NoMAS' utility from Microsoft and run it. It will clear these warning messages up. "jspanitz" wrote: > Source: MSExchangeIS > EventID: 9548 &g...

.pdf save as settings

Web query timeout setting.

Removing multiple users from Outlook

Shortcut to other user's folders
At our office we view other user's folders by: File:Open:Other user's folder... Is there a way to make a shortcut in the "Outlook Shortcuts" pane on the left to one or more of these user's folders? Thanks! Edit: This is in Outlook 2000 ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ bump, nobody? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from ht...

can i download lxce serv.exe

Setting up a new e-mail account

Delete Inactive Users and Remove them from BU
Hi, Is there a way to delete inactive users(user already resigned) from CRM server? In addition, is it possible to remove the inactive users from their business unit? I noticed that in my system, when i deactivated the users, they were still existed under the business unit that they were assigned to. Is it the expected behaviour? Thanks Carrie yes this is expected. Users do not get deleted from the database. You only have to reassign their data then remove their license and de-activate them -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Carrie" <Carri...

automaticaly create a variable sized table from user input
Hi, How can I user data input to a cell by a user to create a table with that number of rows. eg. User enters 1024 in B2 165 in B3 12.5 in B4 A10 would contain 1, B10 would contain =B3+(A10*$B$4) A11 would contain 2, B11 would contain =B3+(A11*$B$4) etc to 1024 The user entered number in B2 could be any whole number between 1 and 1024 Thanks, Iain I could make this better but other things to do right now so try this. Uncomment the last line to remove the formula and just leave the values. Sub makeformula() Range("a10") = 1 Range("b10").Formula = "=B3+(A10*$B$4)...

Getting the BCC field by default.

how many receivers i can add

Can't configure Outlook Express