blocking c and document access

I have a member server that a few users will be logging in to use some
software that is on the machine.  How/where can I block the users that are
logging in from saving to the C drive.  I have  a d drive set up for data to
be saved and I don't want the users saving their work to their profile
desktop or documents folder

0
mw

On Jun 7, 9:30=A0am, "mw" <rmwatr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have a member server that a few users will be logging in to use some
> software that is on the machine. =A0How/where can I block the users that =
are
> logging in from saving to the C drive. =A0I have =A0a d drive set up for =
data to
> be saved and I don't want the users saving their work to their profile
> desktop or documents folder

Create a group for the users, read up on NTFS permissions and desktop
redirection...consider using Group Policy.
0
Lil
6/7/2010 8:36:08 PM
Normal users cannot write to the C drive directly to begin with.  Regular
users only have Read, Execute, and List permissions to the C drive  (leave
it that way,...don't mess with it).

Normal users can only write to certain Folders within their own user
profiles (Desktop, My Documents, etc.)   You can *not stop* them from saving
stuff there.  The Application that they are running may be able to set where
they save to,...but if it does not,...then your option is **user
education**.   Beyond that it comes down to public user beatings in the back
parking lot when they won't listen.  At that point it is a behavor problem,
not a technical problem.

--
Phillip Windell

"mw" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a member server that a few users will be logging in to use some
>software that is on the machine.  How/where can I block the users that are
>logging in from saving to the C drive.  I have  a d drive set up for data
>to be saved and I don't want the users saving their work to their profile
>desktop or documents folder

0
Phillip
6/9/2010 6:36:32 PM
Folder redirection is an option as other have said,...but you can create a
mess really really really fast if you don't think things through properly
with it.  There is also a big difference between doing it with only one
machine -vs- doing it globally with GPO.  Then there are issues like the
fact that My Docs gets used for other things besides this project and
redirecting My Docs redirects *completely*,...not simply for just certain
situaitons.

Permissions really can get wacky with redirection too,...even Administrators
can't get into the files/folders properly without taking ownership first
(which then can screwup the redirection setup).  There are a lot of ways to
get bit in the rearend by this.   **User Education** is the best way as far
as I am concerned.

--
Phillip Windell

Phillip