Best Practises setup with AD or File Server

Hi,

We have a scenario where we are retiring out dedicated backup server.

Currently we are using Symantec Backup Exec 11d. However, instead of
replacing the dedicated server, their is a suggestion that I use existing
servers for Backup Exec

Are their known issues installing backup exec on a DC which also holds FSMO
roles (PDC etc)?

The other option is to install backup exec (and tape drive) on a file server
which hosts the H and S drives.

what do you think?

I would use the file server. Presumably it is being accessed during the day
when no backups are running. The backup will run at night presumably, when
there are no users accessing the shares.

hth
DDS

"biren" <biren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have a scenario where we are retiring out dedicated backup server.
>
> Currently we are using Symantec Backup Exec 11d. However, instead of
> replacing the dedicated server, their is a suggestion that I use existing
> servers for Backup Exec
>
> Are their known issues installing backup exec on a DC which also holds
> FSMO
> roles (PDC etc)?
>
> The other option is to install backup exec (and tape drive) on a file
> server
> which hosts the H and S drives.
>
> what do you think?

0
Danny
1/18/2010 6:45:10 PM
Makes it much easier to restore a generic member server and then the
backupexec software without regard to issues of it being a domain
controller.

Recovery of the backup server is often overlooked in DR planning.

--
/kj

0
kj
1/18/2010 7:23:45 PM
Hi,

Its a good scenario that you have mentioned. Some users do connect at night
to work on the VPN - and use the H and S drive.

If the backup job is running on that server - saying backing a sql server or
exchange (but not H or S drive which can be scheduled for 2AM  for example)

.... would they notice a severe performance degradation?

biren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Its a good scenario that you have mentioned. Some users do connect at
> night to work on the VPN - and use the H and S drive.
>
> If the backup job is running on that server - saying backing a sql
> server or exchange (but not H or S drive which can be scheduled for
> 2AM  for example)
>
> ... would they notice a severe performance degradation?

Maybe to likely. Much depends upon many variables include perception of
'notice'.

--
/kj

0
kj
1/18/2010 8:41:20 PM
> ... would they notice a severe performance degradation?

They might. If they complain too much explain that there is a backup going
on that may degrade performance from X time to X time. They can work during
the backup window if they want, just expect some slow down during that time.

> Hi,
>
> Its a good scenario that you have mentioned. Some users do connect at
> night
> to work on the VPN - and use the H and S drive.
>
> If the backup job is running on that server - saying backing a sql server
> or
> exchange (but not H or S drive which can be scheduled for 2AM  for
> example)
>
> ... would they notice a severe performance degradation?
>

> "kj [SBS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Makes it much easier to restore a generic member server and then the
>> backupexec software without regard to issues of it being a domain
>> controller.
>>
>> Recovery of the backup server is often overlooked in DR planning.
>>
>> Danny Sanders wrote:
>> > I would use the file server. Presumably it is being accessed during
>> > the day when no backups are running. The backup will run at night
>> > presumably, when there are no users accessing the shares.
>> >
>> > hth
>> > DDS
>> >
>> > "biren" <biren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> --
>> /kj
>>

>> .

0
Danny
1/18/2010 8:51:17 PM
Thank you to all ...!!

"Danny Sanders" wrote:

> > ... would they notice a severe performance degradation?
>
> They might. If they complain too much explain that there is a backup going
> on that may degrade performance from X time to X time. They can work during
> the backup window if they want, just expect some slow down during that time.
>

> hth
> DDS
> "biren" <biren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Its a good scenario that you have mentioned. Some users do connect at
> > night
> > to work on the VPN - and use the H and S drive.
> >
> > If the backup job is running on that server - saying backing a sql server
> > or
> > exchange (but not H or S drive which can be scheduled for 2AM  for
> > example)
> >
> > ... would they notice a severe performance degradation?
> >

> > "kj [SBS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Makes it much easier to restore a generic member server and then the
> >> backupexec software without regard to issues of it being a domain
> >> controller.
> >>
> >> Recovery of the backup server is often overlooked in DR planning.

> >> --
> >> /kj
> >>

> >> .
> >>

> .

excel worksheets getting deleted in shared files on P4
Hi all I am using a workbook of 3 Mb on a network where I am using Excel 9 and MS Windows. File contains 32 worksheets for a month. Network trafic is more but th comp has 512 MB ram and uses some oracle app also. The files are sometimes shared and contains some 3d as well as arra formulas. The worksheets are getting deleted automatically when we are trying t save the file. What can be the possible reasons. Why do sheets ge deleted????? Thanx in advance Keda -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Question about ISAPI Server Extension
hi, I'm trying to develop something with ISAPI. But so far , I'm not clearly understand on 2 point: 1.How to debug isapi project ? there seems not a effical way to deal with it. 2.I decleared some variants in CTestExtension.How to know whether it's golobal or local? I've tried to declear a member variant like this: private: CString m_Keywords; I find that the value of it is what it is when the last visitor visits . any one can give me some suggestion? many thanks. :) Hi, To debug, go into services in the control panel and shutdown IIS. In VC with your project loaded...

exchange 2k3 and AD
hi, i have 2 domain's thet one of them old's the exchange(the rols are in the other domain). latly i have some pro' with the replication of the AD, and i decide to remove the AD from the server thet olds the exchange. my Q is : will the remove of the AD reflect or demage the exchange? will it reconnect to the other domain? then'x yuval. On Sat, 28 May 2005 10:05:29 +0200, "Yuval ben-david" <yuval@telecode.co.il> wrote: >hi, > >i have 2 domain's thet one of them old's >the exchange(the rols are in the other domain). >latly i have so...

corupt files
can someone help me restore some corrupt files? One of the users used floppy to save her excel file and now it is corrupt. I did disk repair and I can open the files now but all of the changes that she made over the weekend were lost. is there a copy of the file somewhere on the computer? like temp folder or something like that? computer is XP professional and office XP. your help is greatly appreciated. George ...

Adding Popup Box
I am wanting to add a box that pops up when i click on a report. When i click on Drilling Invoice (name of report) i want it to have a box that asks "Date of Invoice" "Rig Name" and when i click enter, the report comes up with all of the invoices with that date and with that rig name... I already have it to where i have to type in the beginning date..click enter. then another box pops up with ending date, enter ending date..click enter. then rig name pops up... how can i make all of these on the same box? On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:26:53 GMT, stephendeloach wrote: > I a...

Error while adding .NET assembly in Outlook 2002 COM Addins
Hi, From VS.NET, I am creating a assembly thru Otherprojects\Extensibility Projectcs\Shared Add-in (I am trying to creating a add-in for Outlook 2002) based on the msdn example "support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? kbid=302901". It is not showing any error. compailed & builed clearly. Then I try to convert this assembly as a strongly named one. so I created a Keyfile (sn -k abc.snk). Then add the file name in the "assemblyinfo.cs" assemblykeyfilename attribute. saved and compalied the file. it compailed and rebuild dll clearly. Then I register this assembly ...

Attach File very Slow in Outlook
Dear , One of our users is using Outlook 2000. When he tries to attach file from a network drive which has 12,000 files with 441 mb, his PC will be frozen. It may take him more than 10 minutes to display the folder. The files on the network drive are all jpg files. Thanks in advance! -- Best Regards, Rebecca Lip What happens if he tries to attach a comparably sized file from his local drive? How quickly does it attach? If it's significantly quicker, then it's probably not an issue with Outlook, but more with network latency. You may need to do some network diagnostics ...

runas script to launch batch file
Hello again. I have another program that need to be lauched by a batchfile however it needs to be run as a different user here we go. batchfile name is: mount-truecrypt.bat inside has this: REM mounting truecypt volumes !! do not change !! "c:\program files\truecrypt\truecrypt.exe" /volume "\Device\Harddisk1\Partition1" /letter F /favorites /p newutopianewutopia10 /q "c:\program files\truecrypt\truecrypt.exe" /volume "\Device\Harddisk2\Partition1" /letter N /favorites /p newutopianewutopia10 /q REM starting sharing for truecryp...

Backup .pst file
Hello, I would backup the data of Outlook. But i can't find a .pst or .ost file on the system. Do i need to backup other files or is Outlook wrong configured. Thanks Rene p.s. I don't use an Exchange server, i'm using Outlook standalone. The Outlook data file should be here: C:/Documents and Settings/USER NAME/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook/Microsoft/Outlook On an XP machine, using Outlook 2002. "Waterman" <waterman1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c6vlp4$7hl$1@news5.tilbu1.nb.home.nl... | | Hello, | | | I would ba...

Adding contacts to a distribution group
I want to add an entire category of contacts to a distribution group without clicking on each individual contact. Or... select many contacts and save to a distribution group. Help! Why not use categories to create a dynamic distribution lists? If you make a view with just the email addresses in it, you can copy the rows and paste into the address field of the DL - see http://www.slipstick.com/Tutorials/create/dl.asp - -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook T...

fatal error LNK 1104:cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"
I made everything in "Resolution" of the hotfix but the error appears again and I can't remove it. What I have to do . Please, help me. Thank You in advance. ...

Backing up Excel file
Hello all, Is there another way to back up an Excel file, besides the AutoRecover settings in Options and the Always Create Backup feature in the General Options of Save As? What I am looking to do is to create a backup copy automatically in a directory that I want (other than the directory where the original is). Thanks. Use windows explorer and just copy|paste? AccessHelp wrote: > > Hello all, > > Is there another way to back up an Excel file, besides the AutoRecover > settings in Options and the Always Create Backup feature in the General > Options of Save As? &g...

Icon file not displaying correctly I made in vc ide
Hello, I haven't written any mfc since a class I took several years ago, but I still use the IDE to make icons for stuff (no project, apps, builds, so forth - just create an icon file). I noticed that sometimes the icon file will display correctly in windows explorer and the app I made it for and the MS Office toolbar, taskbar, etc. But sometimes the icon only works in the app, the taskbar, and the Alt-Tab window but not in windows explorer or the MS Office toolbar. I created an icon in the ide which displayed correctly everywhere. Then I modified that file and saved it as ...

Hosting several internet domain names on one Exchange 2003 Server
Hi, I have a simple setup with SmallBusinessServer and 1 domain. We use Exchange and ISA 2003. Our domain is registered for use on the internet and employees use email-addresses with that domain, f.ex xxxx@domain1.com We have also registered 3 other domains on the internet (domain2, domain3 and domain4.com) and we want to use these domains in our emailadresses as well. I can successfully setup this on each Active Directory user and send mail on our internal network. When trying to send mail from outside our company, I get an response saying "cannot relay..." immediately. Th...

adding racing times
I have a horse racing hobby and I'm trying to figure out how to add some times. Since Horses are timed in fifths of a second i am having some trouble. Example: 28 4/5 (currently I type 28.4) + 28 4/5 (28.4) = 57 3/5 but excel gets 56.8 because it adds in tenths. I know i can manually type in 28.8 + 28.8 and then convert back fifths and get the right answer but I like to copy the info verbatim from the racing paper...any suggestions? Thank you, this is my first time here and new to excel. --- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you type 28 4/5 you can do the ...

URGENT Exchange Optimizer
I have a Exchange 5.5 server that have run out of diskspace on the data drive and stopped the Exchange Services. I will now add a new disk with a new drive letter with much of free space to this server and use the Exchange Optimizer to move the data to the new disk. Here is my question, does the Exchange server services needs to be up and running to be able to use the optimizer for this operation? E.g. when starting Optimizer, think i remember that it shuts down some Exchange services the first thing it does... If this won�t work, how can I proceed to get this Exchange server up and running...

.PDF filed received as .DAT
Hi all. I realise this has been posted a dozen times before but I have not been able to find a satisfactory answer to this problem (as "Just ZIP it up" and "Upload it to an FTP" are not acceptable solutions for our clients). The problem is as follows: Most of our quotes and documentation are sent to our clients in the form of PDF files, but over the last year or so increasingly more of them have been receiving our PDF files as DATs. In many cases (probably about 25-50%) renaming the file to PDF works. Unfortunately, as most of the recipients are not overly computer savvy, ...

Appending text to a file
Hello, I was wondering if CFile class can be used to append data to a file. So far when I need to add data to a file using Open and CFile::modeWrite as a parameter, whatever was in a file is overwritten by new data. I tried to introduce a new line so whenever new data is written it starts with new line, but it only erases the first line and writes on a second, here is what I have: doOpen = SomeFile.Open( szFileName, CFile::modeWrite ); CString str = "\n"; //trying to start a new line but it erases old one SomeFile.Write(str, lstr...

Archive function is missing from File Menu
Recently upgraded to MS Office Professional 2007, which included Outlook 2007. Lenovo laptop running XP SP3. Previously running Outlook 2003. The Archive function is missing from the File menu. I can set the AutoArchive parameters under Tools > Options, but regardless of having AutoArchive enabled or disabled, the menu option to Archive is not on the pull-down menu. I am stumped, and all online (Google or forums) references seem to only refer to troubleshooting for people setting up and running AutoArchive. I can provide a screenshot of the File menu expanded if required. &...

merging files
I have a seperate account for my wife and I in money. I would like to merge the 2 accounts....does anyone know of a way to do this? See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q90. "Brock" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:033901c3ac96$55d266f0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have a seperate account for my wife and I in money. I > would like to merge the 2 accounts....does anyone know of > a way to do this? ...

CRM 4.0 hotfix 13 move Exchange server
Hello we have been installed CRM 4.0 and uppdated to hotfix 13. We are using Exchnage Server 2007 and we have been installed new exchange server 2010 and want to use this new server with CRM. How can i put new server in use with CRM 4.0? Is there need to install Email connector on Exchange 2010 server or need chnages in Database or on the CRM Server? best regards, Jensen ...

Outlook 2003
Hi, one of my colleagues has a problem with Outlook 2003 in that they cannot receive any more mail with attachments, seemingly because the PST file is sitting at 1.8GB. They already auto archive mail into an archive PST file, which is around 18GB in size. The actual disk space left on the machine is only around 1GB, so performance is pretty slow - however, there is a spare D drive available with 38GB free. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good approach for freeing up space on the PST files (possibly by moving the current archive PST file to the D drive?), while still having arch...

covert publisher file to pdf
Any suggestions for converting a publisher file to pdf format. Sure, Put your left foot out, pull your left foot in. Put your right foot out and shake it all about. Do the hokey pokey and turn yourself, that's what it's all about. Sorry - do you have a specific question? Mike Paulette wrote: > Any suggestions for converting a publisher file to pdf > format. Paulette, You will need a program to convert the file to a pdf format. There is of course Adobe Acrobat but its a bit on the spendy side for most folks at $250 or higher. I had the need to create pdf files some 5 y...

DPM 2010RC Adding Disks to DPM Manager
I have an 11TB Raid on my DPM server. It is GPT and formated NTFS. I can add the drive to DPM via DPM Managment, however it tells me it has 0KB of free space. Am I missing something simple here? It shouldn't be formatted, no drive letter either. You should see it in diskmgmt.msc, but not in My Computer for example. Then add to DPM pool, DPM will format it when it creates volumes for your different workloads or protection groups. Hope that helps, I seem to remember that some time ago. ------------------------------------------------------- "GeekEGuy" wrote: ...

2 Files Open In 2 Instances Of Excel #2
Dave. Thanks for your help. I fully understand your reasoning over the dislike of using this, fo obvious reasons. But thanks for you help. I have added the following into my workbook coding Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = True To turn this option on only when the specific spreadsheet opens, an then Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = False within the button that closes it, so that this does not remain th default, as not to cause others a problem using other spreadsheets. Thanks again for all your help. Celtic_Avenger :) :) :) :) : -- Celtic_Avenge ----------------------------...