Any disk utilities to correct overly long file names/folder paths?

Hello,

A company I work with has many folders nested within subfolders, within
subfolders with really long folder names that when you go all the way to the
end exceed 255 characters.  Robocopy, richtools, etc all fail when copying
these really long folder paths and file names.   Is there any utility I can
run to correct these or at least identify all of them?  I need to copy a 4TB
volume and it keeps failing.  I can't have the server offline for too long
and I can't wait for it to fail to fix all of them.

Thanks

0
boe

Hello boe,

Never had problems when using robocopy, either with longer then 255 characters
or even with corrupted files. But as you said that also this tools fail i
have no idea. Normally i suggest to use that tools exactly for that reason.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hello,
>
> A company I work with has many folders nested within subfolders,
> within subfolders with really long folder names that when you go all
> the way to the end exceed 255 characters.  Robocopy, richtools, etc
> all fail when copying these really long folder paths and file names.
> Is there any utility I can run to correct these or at least identify
> all of them?  I need to copy a 4TB volume and it keeps failing.  I
> can't have the server offline for too long and I can't wait for it to
> fail to fix all of them.
>
> Thanks

0
Meinolf
2/28/2010 8:51:48 PM

"boe" <boe_d@nospammyhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> A company I work with has many folders nested within subfolders, within
> subfolders with really long folder names that when you go all the way to
> the end exceed 255 characters.  Robocopy, richtools, etc all fail when
> copying these really long folder paths and file names.   Is there any
> utility I can run to correct these or at least identify all of them?  I
> need to copy a 4TB volume and it keeps failing.  I can't have the server
> offline for too long and I can't wait for it to fail to fix all of them.
>
> Thanks

A small number of commands such as ntbackup.exe or robocopy.exe can cope
with excessively long path names. To identify the culprits you can run this
batch file:

@echo off
dir /s /b "d:\User Data" 1>nul 2>d:\Error.txt

0
Pegasus
2/28/2010 9:39:25 PM
Thanks - not sure why rich copy isn't working - perhaps a setting I should
have used.

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb@(nospam)gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello boe,
>
> Never had problems when using robocopy, either with longer then 255
> characters or even with corrupted files. But as you said that also this
> tools fail i have no idea. Normally i suggest to use that tools exactly
> for that reason.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> A company I work with has many folders nested within subfolders,
>> within subfolders with really long folder names that when you go all
>> the way to the end exceed 255 characters.  Robocopy, richtools, etc
>> all fail when copying these really long folder paths and file names.
>> Is there any utility I can run to correct these or at least identify
>> all of them?  I need to copy a 4TB volume and it keeps failing.  I
>> can't have the server offline for too long and I can't wait for it to
>> fail to fix all of them.
>>
>> Thanks

0
boe
2/28/2010 11:06:07 PM
Thanks - I started your batch file a few minutes ago and it has already
found 100 such directories.   I have 4 TB to scan so it will take a while
but this is VERY good to know.

"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "boe" <boe_d@nospammyhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> A company I work with has many folders nested within subfolders, within
>> subfolders with really long folder names that when you go all the way to
>> the end exceed 255 characters.  Robocopy, richtools, etc all fail when
>> copying these really long folder paths and file names.   Is there any
>> utility I can run to correct these or at least identify all of them?  I
>> need to copy a 4TB volume and it keeps failing.  I can't have the server
>> offline for too long and I can't wait for it to fail to fix all of them.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> A small number of commands such as ntbackup.exe or robocopy.exe can cope
> with excessively long path names. To identify the culprits you can run
> this batch file:
>
> @echo off
> dir /s /b "d:\User Data" 1>nul 2>d:\Error.txt

0
boe
2/28/2010 11:06:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think you will need to educate your users so that
they put their information into the files themselves rather than into the
file and folder names.

> Thanks - I started your batch file a few minutes ago and it has already
> found 100 such directories.   I have 4 TB to scan so it will take a while
> but this is VERY good to know.
>
> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "boe" <boe_d@nospammyhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> A company I work with has many folders nested within subfolders, within
>>> subfolders with really long folder names that when you go all the way to
>>> the end exceed 255 characters.  Robocopy, richtools, etc all fail when
>>> copying these really long folder paths and file names.   Is there any
>>> utility I can run to correct these or at least identify all of them?  I
>>> need to copy a 4TB volume and it keeps failing.  I can't have the server
>>> offline for too long and I can't wait for it to fail to fix all of them.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> A small number of commands such as ntbackup.exe or robocopy.exe can cope
>> with excessively long path names. To identify the culprits you can run
>> this batch file:
>>
>> @echo off
>> dir /s /b "d:\User Data" 1>nul 2>d:\Error.txt

0
Pegasus
2/28/2010 11:16:59 PM
I'm not sure if I should start a new thread but is there any similar command
I can use to find invalid file names?   We have a lot of mac users and I've
seen a few invalid file names spaces at the beginning end, crazy
punctuation - even saw files with weird space invader type characters.

> Thanks for the feedback. I think you will need to educate your users so
> that they put their information into the files themselves rather than into
> the file and folder names.
>
> "boe" <boe_d@nospammyhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks - I started your batch file a few minutes ago and it has already
>> found 100 such directories.   I have 4 TB to scan so it will take a while
>> but this is VERY good to know.
>>
>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "boe" <boe_d@nospammyhotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> A small number of commands such as ntbackup.exe or robocopy.exe can cope
>>> with excessively long path names. To identify the culprits you can run
>>> this batch file:
>>>
>>> @echo off
>>> dir /s /b "d:\User Data" 1>nul 2>d:\Error.txt

0
boe
3/1/2010 12:16:40 AM
"boe" <boe_d@nospammyhotmail.com> wrote in message

I haven't tried it, but after a brief search (trying to nail down the right
search string), I found the following that may do the trick. I'm sure there
are others out there.

DelinvFile 4.04
Quoted: "DelinvFile is a Windows Utility that you can use to delete files or
folders and that you are not able to delete using the standard Windows
Delete function. A convenient User Interface is provided for selecting the
file or folder that you need to delete. You use the standard controls for
Drives, Folders, and Files to navigate to the Folder or File to be deleted.
Recent versions include a function to Scan for Invalid and Too-Long
Names...."
http://invalid.vista-files.org/
http://www.vista-files.org/programs/assistance-resources-for-computing-inc/delinvfile.html

I hope that helps.

Otherwise, I know you said Robocopy didn't work, but I thought it supports
and copies longer than valid name? I guess I stand corrected. But have you
tried RoboCopy's switches to copy the volume? Robocopy has a switch
("/256") that disables support for the longer folder names (MAX_PATH, or
 >255) and filenames longer than 255 (I believe called MAX_LENGTH) and uses
the 8.3 name. Robocopy also, has a switch to force 8.3 (/fat). Unless you
haven't tried it, give it a whirl. Read more here:

Robocopy
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(WS.10).aspx

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

> I'm not sure if I should start a new thread but is there any similar
> command I can use to find invalid file names?   We have a lot of mac users
> and I've seen a few invalid file names spaces at the beginning end, crazy
> punctuation - even saw files with weird space invader type characters.
>
> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback. I think you will need to educate your users so
>> that they put their information into the files themselves rather than
>> into the file and folder names.
>>
>> "boe" <boe_d@nospammyhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks - I started your batch file a few minutes ago and it has already
>>> found 100 such directories.   I have 4 TB to scan so it will take a
>>> while but this is VERY good to know.
>>>
>>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Ace
3/1/2010 7:32:47 AM
Thanks - I thought robocopy was replaced by richcopy.

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message
> "boe" <boe_d@nospammyhotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> I haven't tried it, but after a brief search (trying to nail down the
> right search string), I found the following that may do the trick. I'm
> sure there are others out there.
>
> DelinvFile 4.04
> Quoted: "DelinvFile is a Windows Utility that you can use to delete files
> or folders and that you are not able to delete using the standard Windows
> Delete function. A convenient User Interface is provided for selecting the
> file or folder that you need to delete. You use the standard controls for
> Drives, Folders, and Files to navigate to the Folder or File to be
> deleted. Recent versions include a function to Scan for Invalid and
> Too-Long Names...."
> http://invalid.vista-files.org/
> http://www.vista-files.org/programs/assistance-resources-for-computing-inc/delinvfile.html
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Otherwise, I know you said Robocopy didn't work, but I thought it supports
> and copies longer than valid name? I guess I stand corrected. But have you
> tried RoboCopy's switches to copy the volume? Robocopy has a switch
> ("/256") that disables support for the longer folder names (MAX_PATH, or
> >255) and filenames longer than 255 (I believe called MAX_LENGTH) and uses
> the 8.3 name. Robocopy also, has a switch to force 8.3 (/fat). Unless you
> haven't tried it, give it a whirl. Read more here:
>
> Robocopy
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(WS.10).aspx
>

> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit
> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your
> resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance,
> please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
>
>> I'm not sure if I should start a new thread but is there any similar
>> command I can use to find invalid file names?   We have a lot of mac
>> users and I've seen a few invalid file names spaces at the beginning end,
>> crazy punctuation - even saw files with weird space invader type
>> characters.
>>
>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback. I think you will need to educate your users so
>>> that they put their information into the files themselves rather than
>>> into the file and folder names.
>>>
>>> "boe" <boe_d@nospammyhotmail.com> wrote in message

0
boe
3/1/2010 4:18:05 PM
> Thanks - I thought robocopy was replaced by richcopy.

Both have been around for many, many years. Richcopy came out in 2001, so I
wouldn't look at it as a replacement.

As for your dilemma, I would either try that third party software that I
mentioned, or take up Pegasus on his offer with the VB script.

If I were you, and this is a production critical sceanrio, I would look at
the easiest and most efficient way possible to get your task done.

Ace

0
Ace
3/2/2010 2:15:43 PM

> "boe" <boe_d@nospammyhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks - I thought robocopy was replaced by richcopy.
>>

> Both have been around for many, many years. Richcopy came out in 2001, so
> I wouldn't look at it as a replacement.
>
> As for your dilemma, I would either try that third party software that I
> mentioned, or take up Pegasus on his offer with the VB script.
>
> If I were you, and this is a production critical sceanrio, I would look at
> the easiest and most efficient way possible to get your task done.
>
> Ace

The OP could run robocopy with the /L switch. It won't copy anything but it
just might report the invalid file names.

0
Pegasus
3/2/2010 2:38:06 PM
>=20
>=20
> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in =
message=20
>> "boe" <boe_d@nospammyhotmail.com> wrote in message=20
>>> Thanks - I thought robocopy was replaced by richcopy.
>>>

>> Both have been around for many, many years. Richcopy came out in =
2001, so=20
>> I wouldn't look at it as a replacement.
>>
>> As for your dilemma, I would either try that third party software =
that I=20
>> mentioned, or take up Pegasus on his offer with the VB script.
>>
>> If I were you, and this is a production critical sceanrio, I would =
look at=20
>> the easiest and most efficient way possible to get your task done.
>>
>> Ace
>=20
> The OP could run robocopy with the /L switch. It won't copy anything =
but it=20
> just might report the invalid file names.=20

Good point that I didn't think of. :)

Ace
0
Ace

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

asap utilities question
I have Msft. Excel Vsn 2002 and latest vsn. of ASAP Utilities. I used ASAP Utilities to merge single rows of data together so that more than one row will fit on a single line of text. My question now, is, is it possible using ASAP Utilities to separate the data that has been merged back into single rows of data? All information welcomed! Aaron ...

CSV File Problem

CFile (delete file)

import a 123 file

Offline folder problems #2

Public Folder link to Excel File

Corrupt "Deleted Items" folder

Renaming Partial File Names

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file

Shortcut for inserting names?
Hi, I am building many formulas, each with many named cells as part of it. Currently I have to go to Insert | Name | Paste with the mouse each time I want to insert a name. I looked in Walkenbach's Excel Bible but couldn't find any mention of a keyboard shortcut or other shortcut. Is there one I could take advantage of? I've got Excel 2002. Thanks, Jamie ...

OWA Calendar
Hello, Is it possible to publish a public folder calendar (that users currently make changes to in Outlook) to a web page? Does Exchange have some sort of tools to do this? Users could still make changes through Outlook and we would like to be able to display the calendar on our website. Thoughts? TIA, Jason "Jason King" <jasonk@bham.wednet.edu> wrote in message news:%230ps86yIFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is it possible to publish a public folder calendar (that users currently > make changes to in Outlook) to a web page? Does Exchange have so...

If a worksheet name is = to test then a msgbox appears
I'm looking for a macro that will display a msgbox if a worksheet is = to test. For example, if the name of a sheet in a workbook is equal to test then display msgbox saying sheet already exists. Thanks Vick dim ws as worksheet set ws = nothing on error resume next set ws = worksheets("test") on error goto 0 if ws is nothing then msgbox "doesn't exist" else msgbox "already exists" end if Vick wrote: > > I'm looking for a macro that will display a msgbox if a worksheet is = to test. > > For example, if the name of a sheet in a w...