Access based enumeration ?

I have just turned this on for our 2003 file server...  but am surprised that
it seems to be working for only the immediate level under each share.... Is
that a limitation of the tool - or do I have something set wrong???
I also have staff with shortcuts to files - (that are in folders they do not
have rights to) - now with ABE enabled, they are getting a "can not find
path" error -
ANY recommendations would be greatly appreciated...  any work arounds that
we can do.
We are also in the process of migrating the remainder of our Novell network
over to AD soon - this will definitely make that task more complicated.
Thanks in advance for your time and for sharing your knowledge!!
Cindy B

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:27:01 -0700, Cindy <benedett@brainerd.net> wrote:

>I have just turned this on for our 2003 file server...  but am surprised that
>it seems to be working for only the immediate level under each share.... Is
>that a limitation of the tool - or do I have something set wrong???

It works on files and folders below the top. Is that what you mean. I cannot say
if you have configured things wrong since you have not said how you have
configured it.

>I also have staff with shortcuts to files - (that are in folders they do not
>have rights to) - now with ABE enabled, they are getting a "can not find
>path" error -
I presume you are relying on these links working even though the is not access
to the folders in the path, i.e. not checking the permission on the path being
traversed. I am not surprised that ABE changed this. You probably need to grant
Execute access or maybe Read/Execute.

--
Dave Mills
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
0
DaveMills
4/2/2010 7:42:16 AM
ABE seems to be working only on the level immediately below the share that
has ABE enable... it does not work seem to work on the subdirecties??
So if the share is level A -- they do not have rights to B -- but they do
have rights to C -- how can I make that work?  Before we had shortcuts that
could get them directly to C (without navigating) - not they are getting
denied.
Here is a post I found...  IS this correct???
****
Well ABE works, but… Here’s the surprising part: it only works for 1st level
folders. Meaning that if a user has access to folder C that is in folder B,
to which that user does not have access, he will not see folder B (and
therefore C as well). This is obvious when you take into account NTFS design:
a user needs traverse permission to be able to reach C via direct path (B/C)
and List folder contents permission to reach C by browsing to B. The only
solution is to grant the user List folder content access to all folders.
However with that, we end up in the starting point where the user sees all
available shares instead of those he only has permissions to.
This means that when migrating from Novell we will often have to do some
re-design of the folder access approach, e.g. scripts mapping the drives by
group membership, redesigning the folder structure to a more flat hierarchy
and then use ABE.
***
--
Cindy B

"DaveMills" wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:27:01 -0700, Cindy <benedett@brainerd.net> wrote:
>
> >I have just turned this on for our 2003 file server...  but am surprised that
> >it seems to be working for only the immediate level under each share.... Is
> >that a limitation of the tool - or do I have something set wrong???
>
> It works on files and folders below the top. Is that what you mean. I cannot say
> if you have configured things wrong since you have not said how you have
> configured it.
>

> >I also have staff with shortcuts to files - (that are in folders they do not
> >have rights to) - now with ABE enabled, they are getting a "can not find
> >path" error -
> I presume you are relying on these links working even though the is not access
> to the folders in the path, i.e. not checking the permission on the path being
> traversed. I am not surprised that ABE changed this. You probably need to grant
> Execute access or maybe Read/Execute.
>
> >ANY recommendations would be greatly appreciated...  any work arounds that
> >we can do.
> >We are also in the process of migrating the remainder of our Novell network
> >over to AD soon - this will definitely make that task more complicated.
> >Thanks in advance for your time and for sharing your knowledge!!
> >Cindy B
> --
> Dave Mills
> There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
> .

You leave too many items undefined for anyone to answer. You need to specify the
exact DFS and UNC paths and exactly which servers have ABE enabled.

For example if you enable ABE on SrvA which has share ShareA and then set up DFS
as \\Domain\Root\ShareA pointing to \\SrvA\ShareA but do not enable ABE for the
DFSRoot servers the users will see \\Domain\Root\ShareA even though they have no
access (it is the DFS links that ABE enumerates). On the other hand if you
enable ABE on the DFS server but not at the link target you may get what you are
describing.

--
Dave Mills
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
0
DaveMills

Access report in rtf format arrives in e-mail as xls file
I have a single report (with subreports embedded) that is e-mailed every day. I have been able to successfully send this report for a couple of months as an rtf file with no problems. For some reason unbenownst to me, the report formatting now shows in the e-mail as an xls file. I do not know why this has changed and have not been able to arrive at the solution as of yet. I wondered if anyone has any ideas as to why this might be happening? Your thoughts are appreciated. How exactly do you send the report? Do you do it manually or by some code? If manually, describe the steps. ...

Problem Converting HTML to Access
I have Access 97... When I link an HTML document to my Access table, the list shows that the information is there, but the cells are blank. The names show up only when I highlight a cell. Ex. I have 300 names and the list will say 1 out of 300, but no names will appear in the cell. It is just blank. Any suggesstions as to why this is happening? My first thought is that the HTML code in each cell of the table starts with something (e.g. a <BR> tag) that Access is interpreting as a linebreak or empty line. "rblivewire" <rblivewire@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:11...

Can Access 2007 analyze w/Excel?
I have installed Office 2007 and I am not able to locate the option to Analyze a report with Excel. I was able to do this with Access 2003 and it would put all the data from a report into an Excel file. How do I do this in Access 2007? I do not see the option anywhere after opening the report. Thanks, CEV I forgot to mention that when I have the report open, The export to Excel option is greyed out as is the sharepoint list option right next to it. Thanks, CEV "CEV" <chadv@advancebkg.com> wrote in message news:fg52n601iel@enews5.newsguy.com... >I have installed...

Access 2007 install broke Access 2000 runtime
I have an old Polaroid ID Cardmaker program that uses an Access 2000 Runtime to work. After installing Office 2007 Pro Plus I found that the cardmaker program would no longer work. The error is 2501 The OpenForm operation was cancelled. If I try to open the mdb file the error is "You do not have the necessary permissions to use the ........MDB object." If I use the Polaroid installation CD and reinstall the Access 2000 runtime the Polaroid application will work but I can no longer open Access 2007 without it going through a reconfiguration/repair routine. Once that happens the car...

return value based on combo box selection
I have a combo box (cmbShipDate) in a form that is based on a table with drop down values of ShipDate1, ShipDate2, ShipDate3, etc. I have created a text box and I want the correct ship date to be displayed based on the combo box selection. These ship dates are all stored in a table called tblOrder. I thought I could use the DLookUp fuction, but I'm not doing something correctly. Thanks I don't understand what you mean by "based on a table with drop down values". And when you say the "ship dates are all stored in ... tblOrder", do you mean tha...

Access 2007 runtime with sharepoint
Is there a way to use the Access 2007 runtime to do offline access with sharepoint? Either v2.0 or v3.0 Thanks in advance. andrew. ...

Access 97 to Word 97- Memo Fields truncating
When I convert a Access 97 report to Word 97, some of the memo fields truncate in Word. It does not matter the size of the data in the memo field. Sometimes the data is a only a few sentices, other times a large paragraph. Other times a very large paragraph will come accross fully intacted. Thanks. Laurie wrote: -------------------- | Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message | From: "Laurie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> | Sender: "Laurie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> | Subject: Access 97 to Word 97- Memo Fields truncating | Date:...

Display/Hide a Form Control/Field Based On Another Field Value?
Hi all, I have to Combo boxes on a form. The first one I would always like users to see. The second, however, I would like hidden if the first box has certain values selected. So, if ComboBox1 has values of 1 or 2, I would like ComboBox2 to show as normal. If ComboBox1 has a value of 3, I would like ComboBox2 hidden. Is there a relatively simple way of doing this, if at all? Thanks for your help as always! --Eric You have to take care of 2 things: (1) When you move from record to record and the combo box contents changes (2) When the user changes the contents of the combo box For (1), inse...

Filter Datasheet based on Combo Box selection
I have a SubForm that displays in Datasheet view. I want to add a Combo Box just above the SubForm that the user can select the Pay_Period_Ending_Date, and once selected I would like the Datasheet to filter based on this date. Can someone please direct me as to how I can do this? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Pasadena-D - You can put your combobox in the header section of the subform. Then based on the selection in the combobox, you can apply your filter like this (using your fieldnames and combobox name). If the user will click on an item, you can ...

How to access data buffers in a completion routine for a KMDF driv
I'm porting a WDM upper filter driver to KMDF version. I have two questions about data accessing in a completion routine. 1. In the completion routine of my WDM upper filter driver, it was able to retrieve data from Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer( The IRP is using Method Neither I/O, and the data was set by function driver). How to do this for my KMDF driver? 2. In the completion routine of my WDM upper filter driver, it was able to retrieve data by calling MmGetSystemAddressForMdlSafe(Irp->MdlAddress, NormalPagePriority)( The IRP is using Method Neither I/O, and t...

inserting texts in cell based on conditions
Hi, I would very much appreciate if someone could help me solving a problem, illustrated by the following example: Column A B C 1 1 "LB" 2 1 "DK" 3 4 1 1 "LB/DK" If there's a 1 in column A, the corresponding cell in column C should get the text "LB" inserted into it. If there's a 1 in column C, the corresponding cell in column C should get the text "DK" inserted into it. If both column A and B have ones in them, the corresponding cell should get the...

Expense data base
does anyone have a database to track household expenses (utilities, insurance, etc.) http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/templates/TC102068841033.aspx?CategoryID=CT101428511033&av=ZAC000 Or http://www.microsoft.com/money/default.mspx -- Kevin3NF SQL Server dude You want fries with that? http://kevin3nf.blogspot.com/ I only check the newsgroups during work hours, M-F. Hit my blog and the contact links if necessary...I may be available. "cg" <cg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A799A57F-0129-408E-80A8-346685F420F3@microsoft.com... > does anyone h...

I want to format a cell based on an adjacent cells value
I would like a cell automatically formatted in the same way a conditional format works - but the format to be based on the value of an adjacent cell. Any ideas as I cant work out how or if I can achieve this Cumbo, Use Conditional Formatting, but change cell valve is to formula is and use something like this, will change the cell if A1=25 =$A$1=25, so if you select B5 and put this in conditional formatting cell B5 will change when A1 = 25 -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on an...

Access 2003 Packaging & Deployment Wizard for Vista Install
Have had no problems installing on XP but Vista is different. For Vista Installations I have 2 queries: Believe I should be installing my program and associated files in the CommonAppDataFolder and that seems to correspond with the ProgramData folder when installed on Vista. However, when the front end is installed in ProgramData folder, the operator can't perform a compact/repair on the front end file?? Using the PDW how/where do I set up the installation of the back end data file? This needs to be accessible by all uses and don't want to run into the "virtualising&quo...

Is there a similar newgroup for Access?
Can you tell me whether there is a similar newsgroup to this one for Microsoft Access users? Thanks douglas These are Microsoft's public Access ng's (English). The m.p.access.gettingstarted group is the closest to m.p.e.newusers: microsoft.public.access, microsoft.public.access.3rdpartyusrgrp, microsoft.public.access.activexcontrol, microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver, microsoft.public.access.commandbarsui, microsoft.public.access.conversion, microsoft.public.access.dataaccess.pages, microsoft.public.access.developers.toolkitode, microsoft.public.access.devtoolkits, mi...

Counting cells based on color
I am looking for a "counting" formula that will count cells in a rang based on their color, so that if I color a series of dates (to sho 'vacation) the number of cells (days) will be counted...to keep trac of vacation...thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com There's no built-in functionality for that - it requires a UDF (user-defined function). You'll find several examples in the google archives: http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search? as_ugroup=*excel*&lr=&num=100&hl=en MVP Chip Pearson also has some code: http://www.cpearson.com...

SumIf
Hi =SUMIF(A6:A2000,"(left(a6:a2000,4))=(left($K$14,4))",F6:F2000) I want to create a sub total of all values in column F, at certain subtotal cells in column F where the the first 4 (or other to be set)characters of a code in cells a6 to a2000 match the first 4 characters in cell$K$14 (or other cell to be set). The above doesn't seem to work, is it possible? am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ritchi Try this array* formula: =SUM(IF(LEFT(A$6:A$2000,4)=LEFT($K$14,4),F$6:F$2000,0)) * As this is an array formula, then once you have typed it in (or s...

Special Characters in Access 2007
I'm working on a database that has fields filled in with sizes (i.e. 1.5", 2", 3", etc.) I know the " shouldn't have been used but it was. When writing a query to show only 1" items I get the message "The expression you entered has an invalid string." I usually can get past this by putting the " in brackets (like this ["]) and I could go on, but now that I am using access 2007 (was on 2003) I get this message; "The expression you entered contains invalid syntax." I've tried to manually add the outside quotes but ...

Counting number of rows based on mutiple criteria
Does anyone know how to count the number of rows based on mutiple criteria on other columns? For example I want to count the number row that meet the criteria of "Yes" in Col 2 and "Yes" in Col 3. The result would be 2 in the example below. I tried different combinations of Vlookup, Countif and Sumif and could not come up with anything that worked. Col 1 Col2 Col3 A Yes No B Yes Yes C No No D No Yes E Yes Yes Your help is greatly appreciated! Hi, =SUMPRODUCT((B1:B10=&qu...

Get Access Data into Excel
Hi All, I am using excel macro to get data from access database. My sql query gives me 5 records or more than that. I am able to pull it different cells. But I want all the 5 results in single cell. Please help im not exactly sure what your trying to do, but maybe something like this will do the trick dim accval as string accval=rs!:XXX rs.movenext accval=accval & " " & rs!:xxx loop it till rs.eof=true hth dmoney "fi.or.jp.de" wrote: > Hi All, > > I am using excel macro to get data from access database. >...

Sizing a form in Access 2007
I've been working with Access for the past decade, and recently upgraded to 2007. I've created several forms but can't figure out how to make them the size I want in display view. In older versions all I needed to do was pull in the left side and bottom of the form and minimize to the size I wanted. 2007 doesn't appear to have this ability. I was able to get the display size I wanted by setting the form to popup and modal, but this keeps the form on top. I tried pulling the form under the ribbon. This allows reports opened with the form to display, but I can...

queries written inside MS-Access are getting deleted
Some of the queries I have written inside MS-Access are getting deleted automatically. And while I run the queries through code, I get this error 'Query should have one destination field' Explanation: I created a query in MS-access. Ran it from the code. Closed the database. Started it again, and now for that particular query, it is showing 'SELECT ;' only. Strange. I am in panic mode now What can be the possible reason? My first thought is that the database file is corrupt. Unfortunately it's a type of corruption that Compact and Repair probably won...

Outlook Express won't open and can't access newsgroups from Outlook Office 2003
I do not understand why newsgroups are not incorporated into Outlook 2003. Now when I can get "news" to be listed on the go menu of Outlook 2003, it opens outlook express for me, but my "news" button keeps vanishing and I can't add it back becuase it is not listed in the options under the Go category in the categorize menus area. :-( And I can't open Outlook Express by itself, when I click Express icon in start menu, 2003 opens. :-( Outlook has always opened OE for news reading. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Intern...

Help with counting based on two conditions
Using Excel 2000, I want to count how many customers are actively enrolled in a program at a given date. Column A contains the Customer Name Column B contains Program Start Date Column C contains Program End Date If I want to count how many people were on the program from April 1, 1999 to May 31, 2000 which would include those with a start date before April 1, 1999 but who do not have an end date. I tried Column D with my begin date criteria (August 1, 1996) Column E with my end date criteria (March 31, 2001) Column F to hold my counted start dates with the formula =COUNTIF(B11:B19, &quo...

Sorting records based on a couple or many criteria items from a qu
I currently have a query set up consisting of several fields from several tables. I'd like to solicit advise on the best way to set up search criteria. I've looked into building a dialog box containing combo boxes where the source of the combo boxes are individual queries. This is exactly the type of mechanism I'm looking for, but according to the documentation I've read I can't have more than two or three of the combo boxes on the dialog box as it creates a complex query. I have about eleven different fields I'd like to have the option to sort on - ma...