2008 R2 License on VMWare

Dear,

I have 2 Sun X4170 Servers that both have dual quad-cord Xeon processer. and
run with VMWare as virtual platform.
I want to run 4 VM in VMWare and all is Windows Server 2008 R2. And there is
NO physical server any more.
If I using Windows Server 2008 R2 standard, I need 4 licenses.
I know that Windows Serer 2008 R2 Enterprise can have 1 physical + 4 VM
license.
Can I buy one license of Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition to  run 4
Windows 2008 R2 enterprise in VMWare without any physical server running?

Regards,

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4899 (20100226) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
MAX

Hello MAX-007,

No, according to:
Q.  If I am licensed for Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, I am allowed
to run four simultaneous instances in virtual operating system environments
(on the licensed server). However, I am running workloads in only two of
those four instances on the licensed server. Under what circumstances can
I run the remaining two instances on another server?

A.
The rights to run the four instances are assigned to the licensed server,

!!!!!!!!!!!and all the instances can run only on the licensed server!!!!!!!!!.

You may not move your rights to run an additional two instances to another
server.  However, if you have another server that is licensed for Windows
Server 2008 R2 Enterprise or Datacenter, you may move the two workloads to
that server and run them on that server provided that by running the additional
instances you do not exceed the licensed capacity of the new server (one
with Windows Server Standard, four with Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise,
and unlimited with Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter).

The physical machine must run Windows server 2008 or Windows server 2008 R2.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Dear,
>
> I have 2 Sun X4170 Servers that both have dual quad-cord Xeon
> processer. and
> run with VMWare as virtual platform.
> I want to run 4 VM in VMWare and all is Windows Server 2008 R2. And
> there is
> NO physical server any more.
> If I using Windows Server 2008 R2 standard, I need 4 licenses.
> I know that Windows Serer 2008 R2 Enterprise can have 1 physical + 4
> VM
> license.
> Can I buy one license of Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition to
> run 4
> Windows 2008 R2 enterprise in VMWare without any physical server
> running?
> Regards,

> signature database 4899 (20100226) __________

> http://www.eset.com

0
Meinolf
2/27/2010 5:36:06 PM
Meinolf has already answered your question.  Here is good article about
licensing for Virtual environments:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/virtualization.aspx#tab=1

--
Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA
Houston, TX

"MAX-007" <max007mail-bank1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dear,
>
> I have 2 Sun X4170 Servers that both have dual quad-cord Xeon processer.
> and run with VMWare as virtual platform.
> I want to run 4 VM in VMWare and all is Windows Server 2008 R2. And there
> is NO physical server any more.
> If I using Windows Server 2008 R2 standard, I need 4 licenses.
> I know that Windows Serer 2008 R2 Enterprise can have 1 physical + 4 VM
> license.
> Can I buy one license of Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition to  run
> 4 Windows 2008 R2 enterprise in VMWare without any physical server
> running?
>
> Regards,

> signature database 4899 (20100226) __________

> http://www.eset.com

0
Santhosh

Replicating from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008
I have 2 instance of SQL Servers. Instance A : SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition running on Windows 2003 (32 Bit). Instance B : SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition running on Windows 2008 (64 Bit Cluster). These servers both reside on different domains but have connectivity between them using SQL Authentication. I need to setup Transactional Replication from Server A to Server B. I have reviewed the following MS KB: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143241.aspx It States : "Using a SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008 Distributor with a Publisher Running SQL Server...

Unable to install Money 2008
I get the message :Setup was unable to install some of the components needed to run Money, try installing Money again" when I try to install the download version. I have money 2006 and XP home version. Any Ideas? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, luke357sig wrote: >I get the message :Setup was unable to install some of the components needed >to run Money, try installing Money again" when I try to install the download >version. I have money 2006 and XP home version. Any Ideas? I would try creating a new XP user with Administrator privilege. Switch to that user an...

Resetting Word 2008- Have tried re-installing.
Hi is there a way to do this? Word is giving me so much trouble i feel like using the old version again Reinstalling rarely fixes anything & can complicate the matter... Mac ain't the same as Windows:-) If you'd offer some specifics on what the problem(s) is/are [including type of Mac & OS X version) perhaps someone can offer productive suggestions. -- Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac <myresolve@officeformac.com> wrote in message news:ee8a041.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw... > Hi is there a way to do this? Word is giving me so much trouble i feel > l...

SBS 2008 Install issue
I have setup a virutal server and installed SBS 2008 using the migration process. I created the answer file, setup a virtual fdd and installed SBS 2008. There were no indications of any problems at all until it completed. A windows popped up and told me that the installation was finished and that there were a few non-critical installation issues. I clicked to look at the installation issues and there were 4 separate items 1. Exchange server 2007 cannot be installed. 2. Critical and security updates cannot be installed. 3. Incoming and outgoing e-mail for Windows Sharepoint ...

VB6 service under Server 2008 can't run another VB application
I have a VB6 service that has been running for years on 2000 and 2003. I'm trying get it to work on Server 2008 and it's not working. The service calls shell to run another VB6 .exe program. This .exe program is not being called when the VB6 service program is run as a service. If I run the program as an application, it works like it should. Obviously, something in 2008 needs to be changed to allow this but I don't know what it would be. sr Steve Ricketts brought next idea : > I have a VB6 service that has been running for years on 2000 and 2003. I'm...

Licensing Requirements for 'Intercompany' component
Does 'Intercompany' require special license keys to use in GL and Payables? Seems to be available under System Setup but dont have specific keys to include it. From documentation, seems to be just built-in as an Advanced function. Glen, This depends on the licensing model of GP you currently own - if you are on GP Standard or Professional, yes, Intercompany is a separately purchased module with separate registration keys. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B07B856-D844-484...

Computerworld article on Mac Office 2008
Computerworld has a story giving a preview of Mac Office 2008. They have quotes from some key people at Microsoft who were involved in Mac Office 2008's development. The story can be read at this link: http://tinyurl.com/3be8p6 ...

GP 10 and SQL Server 2005 licensing issues
We are developing an Add-On product over GP 10.0 using VSToolsSDK and eConnect10.0. For example: GP user= Abhishek Domain user = domain1\ajain There are three connections being made from GP system when our add-on is loaded: When a user logs into GP. GP creates one connection (this is made in context of a GP user Abhishek) Our Add-On creates a connection to GP using windows authentication say domain1\ajain (We are using win authentication because there is no way we can intercept password for GP user Abhishek) a connection made by eConnect using credentials of windows user domain1\ajain P...

How do I change the default paste settings in Word 2008?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Hi there - <br><br>I need to paste everything as unformatted text. Is incredibly time consuming to select Paste Special and then select unformatted text. Can someone help explain how I can change it to a keyboard command or something that makes it more efficient for me to paste unformatted text? <br><br>Thanks! Unfortunately there is no available setting for doing so. The only option is an Apple Script for the purpose but I'm afraid I haven't held on to a copy of it. You may be able to dig it out...

SBS 2008 Notifications Incorrectly Reporting Disk Space
I'm having a strange problem with an SBS 2008 server. After clearing up a disk space issue on the C drive I configured notifications to email me if the space goes below 10% free. Currently there is 9 GB free on a 60 GB partition. However, I keep getting email alerts saying the free space is below the threshold - Volume Name: C: Free Space: 6353383424 Volume Size: 79933267968 Why is it reporting the volume size and free space incorrectly (80 GB and 6 GB free rather than 60 GB and 9 GB free) ? I can't find anything on Google relating to this Any help greatly appre...

Excahnge 2003 License Question
I apologize if this is a FAQ or the wrong group, but I am looking to upgrade my Exchange 2000 server to 2003 and am also working on putting in a Front End mail server as well. Do I need to purchase licenses for both my Fron End mail server and my Back end server? Do I also need to purchase CALs for each server? If I have 75 users, do I need 75 CALs on my Front End server and also 75 CALs on my back end server. Thanks for the help Any user who has mailbox must have an Exchange CAL. For Exchange CAL's you need to have Exchange User or Device CAL. In your situation, if you have only 75...

trying to install paid version of Office 2008 - invalid activation key!!!

licensing questions
I recently purchased a copy of both Office:mac 2004 and Virtual PC 7 for mac from an online auction.they can with all documentation, COA and licensing keys. can i legally install this software? i do not know if the original owner has removed this application, and have no way to verify.heck, i'm not sure it was ever installed. if this is ok to install, is there anything i can do to Re-register product keys with MS so that i can be shown as the legitimate owner with MS ? In article <1173807845.048001.8240@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com>, condemnd4life@yahoo.com wrote: > I recently...

Excel 2008 followup question

sbs 2008 space C drive
Hello, a sbs2008 server runs out of disk space (4.6GB free of 60GB) there are a few folders that are large. WSUS 4GB, WINSXS 10.9GB, SYSMSI 7.7GB and one file monitorservicelogs 1.5GB Can I cleanup some of these folders or file?? And can I stop WSUS from downloading or disable it ?(not used 5 PC's) I did read some posts on the net but did not see a clear answer. regards Marc Hi Marc: Here are several official MS documents and some ideas gleaned from this news group and other sources that may help. You can use treesizepro or windirstat to find the space hogs on your...

sharepoint site asking for password after migration to sbs 2008
hi. currently have an issue with sharepoint not allowing access after migration to sbs 2008 the actual sharepoint site was not migrated so it would seem to be a permission issue. i cannot view the companyweb site either remotely or locally. it always asks for a user/password. using sql management interface i can access the database details, but only with the old administrator user/pass from the original sbs 2003 server. but can't access the site from that login either without getting user/password request. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks please i...

Windows Server 2003 R2 Disk Quota questions
Does Windows Server 2003 R2 support setting quotas along with file filtering? For example, I want to set a quota on folder contains folders of User directories yet I don't want their PST archives to be included within their quota. -- sakamura ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sakamura's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/154261.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-server-help/1270482.htm http://forums.techarena.in You can't do that. But you can assign ownership of .pst files to some other ...

remove a license !
Hi !! I'm trying to remove a license from a user but I can not because the user was deleted form active directory ..what can i do to dremove licenses because I need to add more users but I have no more available licenses this is the error when i try to remove the license: The selected object could not be found. Verify that the object exists in both the database and Active Directory I hope you can help me BR Karolina B You can manually remove the license by editing the SystemUserLicense table. You need to first determine the SystemUserId from the SystemUserBase table for the user in...

Licensing errors on Small Business Server 2003
My SBS 2003 server just started reporting almost continuous pop-up errors with the message: "Warning: License usage for a product licensed in per server mode has exceeded the maximum number of licenses purchased and will prohibit further licenses from being granted. Consult the Application event log or Licensing from the Administrative Tools folder for more information." While these errors were popping up, all users on the network were unable to access any resources on the server. This seems like a straightforward message except that the server has 25 licenses instal...

Switch license from Microsoft Office 2003 to MAC OS X?
I have a paid license for Microsoft Office 2003 that I used on my Windows XP Toshiba laptop. Is it possible to change that to MAC OS X or do I need to buy a whole new program? > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3284554189_116320 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit On 1/30/08 12:41 AM, in article ee8b4f0.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "FUN_LS1@officeformac.com" <FUN_LS1@officeformac.com> wrote: > I have a paid licen...

sumif problem Office 2007 and 2008
have a little spreadsheet that is like an invoice. number of hours times certain job at a certain rate... works well except in the bottom i want to have the certain jobs have a total of the hours It works well for all but one =SUMIF(F12:F45,"Rev Hour",E12:E45) It is driving me nuts can anyone help? Rev Hour is in a defined list on sheet. > =SUMIF(F12:F45,"Rev Hour",E12:E45) Your formula is looking for the text value "Rev Hour" in the range F12:F45. What does this mean: >Rev Hour is in a defined list on sheet. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "ni...

trouble installing crm 4 workgroup on sbs 2003 premium r2
First posting so be kind! Trying to install crm workgroup (action pack) on to sbs 2003 premium r2 (action pack) AS far as I can see the sbs has all updates but the install is failing all the way first failure "Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server User Input" has red X then Verify DOmain User account SPN ... has warning then failure on "Index was outside the bounds of the array" the IIS failure and so on and so on. IS something just wrong with my sbs install it si straight of the dvd. Help. Thanks -- All advise is much appreciated ...

Updated Office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I am not very techno minded, so I don't know what to do. I updated Office 2008 and now it says that I have entered an invalid product key. I didn't enter any product key! I went to some of the help solutions on this site and one told me to delete the Office Folder. If I do this won't I lose all of the files I have in Word and ExceL? I am afraid to do anything, but cannot get into any files. Please help me with simple instructions if you can. Thanks. On 8/5/09 5:08 PM, in article 59b79af0.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "LC@...

Domain Controller server 2008 core WinPcap
im trying to install winpcap on a 2008 core ADDS server. Has anyone had any luck doing so? it fails during the install. this obviously is not an issue on full gui 2008. was hoping for a work around. Thanks, I may have found what I was looking for. from a blog i read: On your non-Server Core system, run the WinPcap installer. When that completes, copy the following files to the Server Core box, making sure to keep the files in the same directories. From / To c:\windows\system32 : Packet.dll, WanPacket.dll, WPcap.dll, npptools.dll From / To c:\windows\system32\drivers : npf.sys ...

word 2008 crashes on quit after pdf save
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm using word 2008 (12.2.3) and SL 10.6.2. After I save a doc/docx document in PDF, then quit word, it crashes with the message &quot;word has quit unexpectedly.&quot; The problem occurs only when word exits--and after a PDF save either from the print or the &quot;save as&quot; menu. How did you make the document? What printer driver are you using? Which PDF software are you using? What other software is running? This is going to be a chore to track down. It's a rare probl...