Windows 2003 R2 Active Directory Performance Question

Here is our environment:

5 Windows 2003 R2 SP2 Domain Controllers (4 of which also do File/Print/DNS
and 1 is running DHCP) spread across multiple VLANs (multiple NICs mapped to
different VLANs in each)
��� These are HP DL380 G5's with 8GB RAM runninw Win2k3R2 Enterprise
These DCs are all in the same physical location supporting 10 other
buildings, some buildings are 1 mile, some are 7 miles away connected by GB
fiber.

Network is GB between buildings, GB between closets, 100MB to the desktop
with a mix of Extreme and HP equipment with one BlackDiamond 6808 Router in
the data center.

Roughly 3000 computers on the network, 10k Active Directory objects, 1100
Exchange 2003 mailboxes

�

The issue we are having is that since we've migrated from NetWare (last
year) to AD we have login and login resource issues.

Example: there will be 30 people in a room all logging in more-or-less at
the same time, 5 or 6 or 8 will get in, get their home drive, mapped drive
and group policies w/o a problem... another 10-12 might need to logout and
try again and the rest may actually need to reboot to make it work
correctly.

If I go to the location I can login as any user and it works fine, but put a
bunch of people in a room and it starts to get flakey again.

Here's most of what I've done over the past couple of months:

�
* Aggregated network closets -- where I could I changed the closet
configurations from a daisy-chain of switches to an aggregated config (IE:
four 100MB switches uplink directly to a GB switch and out the closet)
* Introduced WINS into the environment on two of the DCs
* Moved server secondary NICs from 100MB to 1GB ports.
At this point I'm starting to get a little frustrated. �My next step is
going to be to put a couple of satellite AD boxes in choice buildings to try
and reduce the physical distance between the end-user and a domain
controller. �We have also purchased HP ProCurve equipment to replace the
Extreme stuff inthe MDFs of the buildings and at the core because of the age
(8+ years) of the Extreme stuff but I'm not convinced that is going to "fix"
the problem. �I feel like i provided enough DCs per VLAN (at least 2), at
last one DNS server on each VLAN so there is no traversign VLANs for this
information.

�

Any suggestions? �Where should I be looking that I'm not looking? �I've
checked AD's health and its good... DNS seems solid... but I'm open to just
about any suggestions right now.

0
Bruce

> 5 Windows 2003 R2 SP2 Domain Controllers (4 of which also do
> File/Print/DNS
> and 1 is running DHCP) spread across multiple VLANs (multiple NICs mapped
> different VLANs in each)

MULTIHOMING Domain controllers is not recommended, it always results in
multiple problems.
1. Domain Controllers should not be multi-homed
2. Being a VPN Server and even simply running RRAS makes it multi-homed.
3. DNS,..even just all by itself, is better on a single homed machine.
4. Domain Controllers with the PDC Role are automatically Domain Master
Browser. Master Browsers should not be multi-homed

:See:
Symptoms of Multihomed Browsers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191611

Active Directory Communication Fails on Multihomed Domain Controllers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272294

hth
DDS\
"Bruce Sarte" <bsarte@buckscountytech.com> wrote in message
> Here is our environment:
>
> 5 Windows 2003 R2 SP2 Domain Controllers (4 of which also do
> File/Print/DNS
> and 1 is running DHCP) spread across multiple VLANs (multiple NICs mapped
> different VLANs in each)
> These are HP DL380 G5's with 8GB RAM runninw Win2k3R2 Enterprise
> These DCs are all in the same physical location supporting 10 other
> buildings, some buildings are 1 mile, some are 7 miles away connected by
> GB
> fiber.
>
> Network is GB between buildings, GB between closets, 100MB to the desktop
> with a mix of Extreme and HP equipment with one BlackDiamond 6808 Router
> in
> the data center.
>
> Roughly 3000 computers on the network, 10k Active Directory objects, 1100
> Exchange 2003 mailboxes
>

> The issue we are having is that since we've migrated from NetWare (last
> year) to AD we have login and login resource issues.
>
> Example: there will be 30 people in a room all logging in more-or-less at
> the same time, 5 or 6 or 8 will get in, get their home drive, mapped drive
> and group policies w/o a problem... another 10-12 might need to logout and
> try again and the rest may actually need to reboot to make it work
> correctly.
>
> If I go to the location I can login as any user and it works fine, but put
> bunch of people in a room and it starts to get flakey again.
>
> Here's most of what I've done over the past couple of months:
>

> * Aggregated network closets -- where I could I changed the closet
> configurations from a daisy-chain of switches to an aggregated config (IE:
> four 100MB switches uplink directly to a GB switch and out the closet)
> * Introduced WINS into the environment on two of the DCs
> * Moved server secondary NICs from 100MB to 1GB ports.
> At this point I'm starting to get a little frustrated. My next step is
> going to be to put a couple of satellite AD boxes in choice buildings to
> try
> and reduce the physical distance between the end-user and a domain
> controller. We have also purchased HP ProCurve equipment to replace the
> Extreme stuff inthe MDFs of the buildings and at the core because of the
> age
> (8+ years) of the Extreme stuff but I'm not convinced that is going to
> "fix"
> the problem. I feel like i provided enough DCs per VLAN (at least 2), at
> last one DNS server on each VLAN so there is no traversign VLANs for this
> information.
>

> Any suggestions? Where should I be looking that I'm not looking? I've
> checked AD's health and its good... DNS seems solid... but I'm open to
> just
> about any suggestions right now.

0
Danny
4/23/2010 8:39:41 PM
Hello Bruce,

As Danny said multihoming of DCs is a really bad solution:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/17/multihomed-dcs-with-dns-rras-and-or-pppoe-adapters.aspx

For workstations make also sure that fast logon optimization isn't configured,
applies on machines higher then Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Here is our environment:
>
> 5 Windows 2003 R2 SP2 Domain Controllers (4 of which also do
> File/Print/DNS
> and 1 is running DHCP) spread across multiple VLANs (multiple NICs
> mapped to
> different VLANs in each)
> These are HP DL380 G5's with 8GB RAM runninw Win2k3R2 Enterprise
> These DCs are all in the same physical location supporting 10 other
> buildings, some buildings are 1 mile, some are 7 miles away connected
> by GB fiber.
>
> Network is GB between buildings, GB between closets, 100MB to the
> desktop with a mix of Extreme and HP equipment with one BlackDiamond
> 6808 Router in the data center.
>
> Roughly 3000 computers on the network, 10k Active Directory objects,
> 1100 Exchange 2003 mailboxes
>
> The issue we are having is that since we've migrated from NetWare
> (last year) to AD we have login and login resource issues.
>
> Example: there will be 30 people in a room all logging in more-or-less
> at the same time, 5 or 6 or 8 will get in, get their home drive,
> mapped drive and group policies w/o a problem... another 10-12 might
> need to logout and try again and the rest may actually need to reboot
> to make it work correctly.
>
> If I go to the location I can login as any user and it works fine, but
> put a bunch of people in a room and it starts to get flakey again.
>
> Here's most of what I've done over the past couple of months:
>
> * Aggregated network closets -- where I could I changed the closet
> configurations from a daisy-chain of switches to an aggregated config
> (IE:
> four 100MB switches uplink directly to a GB switch and out the closet)
> * Introduced WINS into the environment on two of the DCs
> * Moved server secondary NICs from 100MB to 1GB ports.
> At this point I'm starting to get a little frustrated.  My next step
> is
> going to be to put a couple of satellite AD boxes in choice buildings
> to try
> and reduce the physical distance between the end-user and a domain
> controller.  We have also purchased HP ProCurve equipment to replace
> the
> Extreme stuff inthe MDFs of the buildings and at the core because of
> the age
> (8+ years) of the Extreme stuff but I'm not convinced that is going to
> "fix"
> the problem.  I feel like i provided enough DCs per VLAN (at least 2),
> at
> last one DNS server on each VLAN so there is no traversign VLANs for
> this
> information.
> Any suggestions?  Where should I be looking that I'm not looking?
> I've checked AD's health and its good... DNS seems solid... but I'm
> open to just about any suggestions right now.

0
Meinolf
4/24/2010 10:05:21 AM
Meinolf,
    I removed the multihoming -- hopefully this will go a long way to fixing
our issue.  What about the global catalog?  How many servers should it be
on?  Does it need to be on every DC?

And how big of a player is WINS and Master Browsers in this whole thing?

Our workstations *do* have fast logon optimization enabled (the default is
on).  If we disable this, how much longer will the initialization be for the
machines?

On 4/24/10 6:05 AM, in article
6cb2911dfe338ccb1bd8c72f06f@msnews.microsoft.com, "Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]"
<meiweb@nospamgmx.de> wrote:

> [...]
>> to try
>> and reduce the physical distance between the end-user and a domain
>> controller.  We have also purchased HP ProCurve equipment to replace
>> the
>> Extreme stuff inthe MDFs of the buildings and at the core because of
>> the age
>> (8+ years) of the Extreme stuff but I'm not convinced that is going to
>> "fix"
>> the problem.  I feel like i provided enough DCs per VLAN (at least 2),
>> at
>> last one DNS server on each VLAN so there is no traversign VLANs for
>> this
>> information.
>> Any suggestions?  Where should I be looking that I'm not looking?
>> I've checked AD's health and its good... DNS seems solid... but I'm
>> open to just about any suggestions right now.

Windows Event Logger
Hello , Within a try- catch block I need to catch the exceptions and write them to a log file using the Windows Event Logger . Till exception handling, things are fine with me, but I am not aware of Windows Event Logger . Any input in this regard shall be appreciated . Thanks , Sujay ...

How to check the style of window is not WS_EX_APPWINDOW ?
Hello There How can I check whether the extended style of window is not WM_EX_APPWINDOW.( Means it won't have entry in taskbar when it visible. I can check whether the it has WS_EX_APPWINDOW style like this if (::GetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE) & WS_EX_APPWINDOW) TRACE("App Window\n"); But how can I do the reverse thing ? Example: 0010101 Real 0110101 Mask The Bitwise AND gives a 1 if the real and the mask are 1, such as 00101100 00100100 AND ---------- 00100100 In this situation, we know that at least some of the mask is true, -- now -- Take the binary number...

How to Change Value of Active Control
I'm writing a routine to change the value of any Active Control to null. I can get the name of the control using ActiveControl.Name but I can't figure out the syntax to change the value of this control. I've tried assigning it to variables but variables aren't working in a: Forms![variable]![variable] = "" Help "Sondreli" <Sondreli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA05A840-2AFE-4F98-ABE9-5D2DD17AE0B8@microsoft.com... > I'm writing a routine to change the value of any Active Control to null. > I > can g...

Win7 usb performance lower than XP
Hi, We have a usb based Ethernet adapter. It is a high speed (2.0) device. The throughput observed on Win7 is around 30 Mbps lower than that observed on Windows XP! Both drivers are certified. There is not much difference between these drivers except NDIS5-NDIS6 and WDM-WDF related changes. Even the same NDIS5-WDM driver used on XP gives lower throughput figures on Win7. When checking the receive side operations we noticed that the difference between 2 consecutive Read completions on XP is around 30-50 microseconds, while the same on Win7 is around 200 microseconds. We are using ...

Outlook 2003
I used to be able to do this in Outlook 2000. The string will be in either the subject or text body...or both. For example: looking for an email message about a specific invoice number 12345. Now, it does not find the number even when I know it's there....and can find it by hunting on my own. Thanks for any help you can offer~ "Hello_It''''s_Me-CA" <HelloItsMeCA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B942C394-5363-49BE-AFB3-04E34C1CE4BF@microsoft.com... >I used to be able to do this in Outlook 2000. The string will be in either > t...

Publisher 2003 Viewer is needed
Can Microsoft create a free viewer program for .pub files like they have for the other programs in Office? Can they? Yes Will they? Unlikely Mike Larry M. in Illinois wrote: > Can Microsoft create a free viewer program for .pub files like they have for > the other programs in Office? Larry M. in Illinois <Larry M. in Illinois@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Can Microsoft create a free viewer program for .pub files like they > have for the other programs in Office? Could they? Yes Is it profitable for them to do so? Probably not. W...

IE8 was deleted from my windows 7 and I cannot find correct downlo
I have a two month old Toshiba and deleted IE8 because of crashes. Trying to find the correct download to reinstall. The IE8 homepage just says it is included in windows 7 but does not show the download file....... ARRRG. Tried Vista IE8 download file but message says it not the correct operating system. On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:50:01 -0700, pawntonian <pawntonian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a two month old Toshiba and deleted IE8 because of crashes. Trying to >find the correct download to reinstall. The IE8 homepage just says it is >included in wind...

Excel question #9
Is there a way that I can transpose the order of the values in a cell? For example I have the values of 10.200.13.1 in a cell and I want to transpose(not sure if that is the correct term or not) the order of the values in the cell so that they appear as 1.13.200.10. thanks for any help as I have literally 4 pages of these kind of values that I have to flip. -- Brian blanktree at hotmail dot com Hi try the following user defined function from John Walkenbach's book Excel 2000 formulas (great resource by the way): Option Explicit Function REVERSETEXT(text) As String ' R...

Outlook 2003 #224
When I print from Outlook I get the following screen: A dialog box opens and says An error has occurred in the script on this page Line: 1344 Char: 1 Error: Unspecified Error Code: 0 URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/preview.dlg All other applications work. Bob 5132361210 ...

Outlook 2003 hyperlinking error
Have just installed Outlook 2003, when I click on a html link within an email it opens my default web browser however the link appears in the browser with these additional symbols which stop the requested site from loading eg: http://%1%20http://www.microsoft.com Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Its driving me nuts. ...

Visio 2003: Custom Toolbars disappear
Sorry for the cross-posting, but I didn't get any responses in the visio.troubleshoot NG. I recently upgraded to Visio 2003 and have a perplexing problem. When I create a custom toolbar--or even when I customize a standard toolbar--they do not appear the next time I load Visio. Any ideas? I'm getting tired of recreating my custom toolbar every day! Thanks, Dave Go to View/Toolbars/ and you should see the list of customized toolbars you have made at the bottom of the menu. Selecting them will make them appear I tried to duplicate the problem you are having with seeing a standard ...

Batch Activities
I want to select multiple contacts or multiple accounts to connect with one activity but all as seperate actions. Example: I want to place introduction calls to my top say 20 customers and I want to take one activity and input the subject and a date/time to be done and batch those top 20 so when I save I end up with 20 seperate introduction calls to place on my home page that will all have the ability to have seperate notes for the individual call! Please help if this is possible. krblastic@yahoo.com if you can assist. Thank you, KB ...

Maximized Window
When a mail is opened, it is opened in the maximized size. When the "make smaller" is pressed, the window remains maximized. When a reply is desired, the reply window is also maximized and cannot be made smaller. This only happens with one identity; all other work fine. All setting are same for all identities. What can I do? ...

Newbie Cell Reference Question...
Hello, I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I'm no quite sure what to search for as I'm not very good with excel. I'm making a spreadsheet where one sheet references another. I'll tr to explain this as best as possible.... I'm creating a spreadsheet for a fantasy basketball league. I have "Data" sheet that contains data for all players. I have another sheet "Teams" that has all the players on each team. Column B contains th players name, and column C contains a number that corresponds to th row this player is on in the dat...

How to remove the /dde from Windows Explorer File Open on Install
I have an MDI app that I would like to open a file on a double click in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately the Explorer File Type (Tools>Folder Options... File Types tab) is set so that the command invokes dde. Ie. The "open" option under the "Advanced" button is C:\Path...\App.exe /dde and the DDE message is [open("%1")]. This never seems to work as my app never sees the dde message and the initialization of m_pCmdInfo via: m_pCmdInfo = (CCommandLineInfo*)(UINT_PTR)m_nCmdShow; sets the pointer to one and the app fails on exit. This is referred as a kn...

List box with available queries question
I have a list box control on a form and want the list box to display all the queries within the database. The following code is what I have so far but it does not work. Any help is appreciated. SELECT [Name] FROM MSysObjects WHERE [TYPE] = 5 and LEFT([Name],1) <> "-" ORDER BY [Name]; "Billy B" <BillyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F47BB77B-7B66-4860-8954-F4FE32FE7C3C@microsoft.com... >I have a list box control on a form and want the list box to display all >the > queries within the database. The following code is what...

Works in 2003 but not 2007
When I reference the below function in 2003 I get function displayed... now in 2007 I get #NAME? Any idea what I need to change/set in 2007 so it will run this function? Function formulaText(x As Range) 'returns the text equivalent of formula in upper left cell in range x 'example: =formulatext(a1) returns the formula found in cell a1 of active worksheet 'example: =formulatext(a1:b5) returns the formula found in cell a1 of active worksheet formulaText = x.Cells(1, 1).Formula End Function Thanks, Mark Mark, It works fine for me. Are you stored in a stan...

xsd question #5
I am doing a bulk load and an element name in the xsd and xml is named differently in the database. I can NOT change the database field or xml. Can I do anything with ehw XSD? The field name in the db is "CaseType" <xs:schema xmlns="" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:sql="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:mapping-schema"> <xs:element name="Cases" sql:relation="PUCCASES"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="NbrOfCases" type="xs:decimal"/> <xs:ele...

OWA slow performance via a Citrix Desktop ....
Hi all We have Users who access their mail via Outlook Web Access from an IE Browser sitting within an ICA Published Desktop. The performance seems variable to say the least. >From what I can see nothing gets loading to the Users Citrix Profile during use. Using OWA via a normal PC Desktop works fine performance wise. Any suggestions on how to improve the performance of OWA when using it through a Citrix Published Desktop.? Many thanks in advance .... Have you tried adding OWA to the Trusted Site list on the Zones page for Internet Explorer on your Citrix Servers? TAM I'm try...

Outlook 2003 Personal Address Book forwarding problem
This Outlook 2003 is connected to a Exchange 5.5 Server The problem is this, everytime I try to forward any e-mail and use any distribution list on the Personal Address Book it does not want to send the e-mail but if I try to send it any other way it works fine. Thanks ...

Comments window
Hi there, I use a DB tool called RS3 for Excel (now known as Accord for Excel - owned by Accelrys inc.). This tool allows you to observe results with cell notes, these commonly being the the average of the result values. the cell notes is a popup window showing the individual result values the average is calculated from. It only shows a maximum of 5 of these values. Additional values can be shown by choosing Tools>Options>View tab, and choosing Comments & indicator. This shows the comments as stable windows, which you can then resize. Now if you go back to the same pla...