users loses profile overnight fixed - looking for explanation

I think I have a fix. But can anyone explain what is happening here?

I have found a solution (not mine, from other forums) that, so far, seems to
be working for this problem. (refer to thread
http://www.winserverkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/windows-server-ad/201003/1 for
full problem) I will post it here for other seekers. Also, if
anyone (Ace maybe?) can explain what might be going on, I'd love to gain the
insight.
thx,

The following procedure avoids that (blowing away the user profile) and seems
to fix the problem, and can be executed remotely with a little effort,
without bothering the user:

1) Get the SID of logged in user that has experienced the problem - I do this
by remotely executing whoami.exe using OWexec.exe (a tool similar to psexec
but runs under logged in users credentials)

2) remotely connect to the user's registry and go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<SID from above>.

3) Note the value for ProfileImagePath

4) Check the value of ProfileImagePath for each of the other SIDs in
CurrentVersion\ProfileList to see if they are the same value as noted in step
3.

a) NOTE: %systemDrive%\documents and settings\(profile) is the same path as C:

\documents and settings\(profile)
b) If a duplicate value exists:
i) export the registry key and save it to c:\ drive of that machine just in
case.
ii) Then Delete the key containing the duplicate path and disconnect from the
remote registry.

So far this has worked for the machines I've implemented it on (over 30). But
I would LOVE to have an explanation of what is going on here.

Remember that these are :
1) clients migrated from an NT4 domain to an AD domain
2) running xp and win2k
3) not running terminal services
4) a 2-way trust exists between NT and AD domains
5) Does not occur to every PC every day – only about half of the migrated PCs
have exhibited the problem. Some of those occaisionally – some regularly.

kabbott

Error when add new user #4
Hi, dont know when it happened. When I add new user to production MSCRM 4, there is an error message (An error Has occurred.....). However, when I try to add this user to my test CRM, it can successfully add without any problem. Both servers are running the same spec and version. I tried to add different users to production but all failed. I have set the deverror to ON but the error message still appear as An error has occurs. Apart from that, I have used CRM diagostic Tool but cannot see anything unusual from the log. I have even run the repair but effort is all wasted. Please He...

Users accessing same table
I have an Access 2003 database on a small network (server + 4 pc's) with the database split and each PC having its own front end. Recently the users have reported not being able to access the same form at the same time, they have to wait until the other user has finished and closed it before accessing it. Any suggestions regarding this problem? What error message are they getting? They should have no issue opening the same form, but there could be a lock conflict if they try to access the same record at the same time. Please post some more information (the exact error) s...

Outlook Profile Extraction
Hello all, Does anyone know a way to extract the outlook profile info that is locally stored on each machine? Thanks for any help Don For what purpose? Profile configuration is stored in the registry but this key hasn't been designed to be reused on other systems. For instance file locations must match or the profile becomes corrupted. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Don" <dschrump@aaifgg.com> wrote in message news:294301c4...

using depreciation as fixed assets setup
Hello: Instead of typing in the YTD and LTD amounts in the Asset Book window when you are first setting up fixed assets, can you not simply run the depreciation routine and have GP fill in these amounts automatically? Are there any "downfalls" behind doing so? childofthe1980s You might not get the same results if the existing amounts were calculated by hand, Excel, or another fixed assets program. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com get your gptip42today at www.gp2themax.blogspot.com I've got to go with Fran...

Internal Users' Info On Spam
I have recently installed Outlook 2003 onto my desktop here at work. I have noticed that I have been getting SOMA solicitations but the headers contain the information of some co workers and some people in my in / sent box (es). Could anyone please help me to understand why this is happening. I have 15 computers on my network and no other machine (all others are on OL2K or OLXP) are symptomatic. PLEASE ADVISE ...

After Password Fix, Money04 sync issues with MSN & MoneyCentral
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C478A0.0E7A19C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable *** this is a repost...=20 I was one of those affected by the .NET password issue last week. Money = is now working. However, my sync with MSN isn't... Aparently when I deassociated my passport from Money, it also broke that = connection to MSN. Now that's it's reassociated with my passport, I = need to tell it to sync the info with Money Central (to upload account = info and my investme...

Outlook 2003: deploy MAPI profile
Hello, I am running a Windows 2000 Active Directory network, with Exchange Enterprise 2003. We are looking at ways of deploying MAPI profile settings automatically for each user, removing the need for us to setup the user profile for Outlook, when the user log's on. We have thought about using roaming profiles, however are wondering if there is a way to accomplish what we want without having to deploy roaming profiles. Ideally, we would like to profile to automatically connect to the exchange server for the user logged on. Would this be done via a customisation of Outlook on the clien...

Multple calendars in one user
I am trying to get multiple calendars set up under one user and some of the events would be shared between different ones. I can not find how to essentially invite myself to an event between the different calendars. You are allowed to create the different calendars but you are not allowed to share events between them. Anyone done this before? Create a meeting request in the non-default calendar and invite yourself. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by ...

Per user gantts
Hi, using MSP 2007 with around 10 projects linked into a master project. I need to have a *per user* view of each resources remaining work, along with a graphical view of the tasks. Several ways to do this, with the isssues they have: - can use resource usage view: shows the tasks for each user across all projects, and the remaining work and timeframe in which those hours are (anticipated) to be expended. Two problems with this: 1) I want to show them a gantt view rather than hours per day/week; 2) they don't see the task hierarchy from which those tasks originate. - Can use...

repeat question....still looking for an answer
how are people handling the situation of no salesperson ID being transferred over from CRM to Great Plains on the customer card? Also how are people handling the situation of no tax schedule ID available in CRM? I'm told that my customer class ID in GP will have to be set up with a default tax id - THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. Without a salesperson ID or a tax schedule ID it creates a lot more work for my accounting dept. they will have to go into every card in GP and add in the correct tax id and then they have to go to crm to find out who owns the account, go back to GP and ...

OWA 2004 Force Domain\User
Unlike most posts, we want our users to be forced to type in Domain\Userid for security reasons. We have configured IIS, Default web site with a blank in the Domain field. In the past, if users did not type in domain\userid they would receive the message "you could not be logged into owa, make sure your domain\userid and password is correct. . .". Users are no longer receiving this error when they forget to enter the domain; however, if a user types in the wrong username or password, the error message is displayed. How do we force the error message to display when they f...

How to generate execution profile of C++ program?
I'm using C++ to develop a statistical analysis program that is extremely compute intensive. I would very much like to use the Execution Profiling feature of Developer's Studio to identify the sections of the program that are consuming the most CPU cycles. However, the documentation I have found on generating a profile seems to be incomplete, or at least I can't understand it. Can someone give me some guidance about how to generate an execution profile? Is there a tutorial or step-by-step instructions anywhere? Thanks. ...

Office 08 works only for one user
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I have installed Office 08 home and student edition. While logged under the admin user everything works fine but when I log into the other user ID Word will not work properly. It open with some weird layout and everytime you move the window it drags and copies itself...very odd. The other programs, excel, ppt, etc seem to work fine on both user log ins but not word. I have tried reinstalling it 3 times to reach the same result. Please help. First & Foremost: Reinstalling complex apps such as Office is *never* the first step to co...

where do I find the current user in crystal reports
Hi NG, topic says everything :-) Nicolas F�hrs Many Places Depending what you want to know? Active Directory, Deployment Manger, Web Cleint Top Left=20 Corner, OUTLOOK, Settings-Business Units-Users... Q >-----Original Message----- >Hi NG, > >topic says everything :-) > >Nicolas F=FChrs > > >. > ...

Profile Setup
I am setting up 9 profiles in outlook all connecting to exchange server. When any user picks their profile, they can see and navigate around the mailbox before they enter their password. How can I make it where the mailbox is not visible until the password for the exchange server is entered? "Camatpremier" <Camatpremier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07ACF1CF-1A1A-40C8-BDC1-EAB9EB1C3F68@microsoft.com... >I am setting up 9 profiles in outlook all connecting to exchange server. When > any user picks their profile, they can see and navigate ar...

Cell change on User Click
Is it possible to have a cell change to a default value when a use clicks on it? I have an old sheet I am working on that people put in manual "X" in t select options. Most of the sheet uses these X's to calulate option and such and I would rather not rewrite the entire spread. Any help would be appreciated. Dre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com hibatt wrote: > *Is it possible to have a cell change to a default value when a use > clicks on it? > > I have an old sheet I am working on that people put in manual "X" i > to select option...

Backup option not available to User Account
Hi. Using Outlook 2002, Win XpPro. I installed the backup add-in successfully with my Admin account. When I go to my non-admin user account, I don't see File | Backup as a choice. And I can't add it in by using the COM Add-In manager. It tells me that it is already installed and needs to be uninstalled before I can proceed. (Which didn't work!) Can you please help me out? Thanks! ...

User's can't run workflow
I am having an issue where users with CONTRIBUTE and/or FULL permission on a list get an "accessed denied" error when they try to run any workflow. Any ideas? You should have designer/owner permission to run a workflow Jeff Hofstetter wrote: User's can't run workflow 15-Apr-10 I am having an issue where users with CONTRIBUTE and/or FULL permission on a list get an "accessed denied" error when they try to run any workflow. Any ideas? Previous Posts In This Thread: Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WPF R...

Fixed Asset description change via Integration Manager
We have requirement of mass chaning description in Fixed Assets, however FA Integraiton 9.0 does not allow update rather only insert only option is available in properties FA AssetGeneralInformation. Any idea from the experts? Ash, Since this data is informational only, this should be pretty straightforward to change directly in SQL. From what I can see, the asset description is only stored in one table: FA00100. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Want to use Crystal Reports with GP? http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com ...

Local accounts for domain users best practice
We have some clients that have the domain user in a local administrator group only, no local account. What are best practices for adding domain users to the workstations? In an environment where the users do not need roaming profiles, is it advantageous to set up local accounts for the domain user? Could not having a local account cause the profile to be volatile? Thank you, CourtK CourtK wrote: > We have some clients that have the domain user in a local administrator > group only, no local account. What are best practices for adding domain > users to the wor...

Quick Launch tool bar
I have tried copying the items from the quick launch bar to other profiles but it doesn't keep the order in tact. It sorts them. Is there any way to keep the icons in order as in the original profile? Thanks. -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > I have tried copying the items from the quick launch bar to other profiles > but it doesn't keep the order in tact. It sorts them. Is there any way to > keep the icons in order as in the original profile? > > Thanks. Try to copy (at your own risk ...) [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Window...

FYI: Windows XP Users
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en I would highly recommend updating your system with the latest service pack (available from the above link). If you have Auto-Update enabled, it might be a weekish before you are trickled down with the 270mb download. I have installed on 5 systems so far, and it has been running just fine! -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. 270 mb downloa...

Main and child lose focus when dialog (from DLL) is clicked
I've a MDI application which, in a separate DLL (MFC Extension DLL, compiled with _AFXDLL) implements a lot of CDialog based classes. Those dialogs are defined in the .rc as: STYLE DS_MODALFRAME | DS_NOIDLEMSG | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU EXSTYLE WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW | WS_EX_DLGMODALFRAME My problem is, that when I click on any of this dialogs, the status of the main and child bars changes to inactive. I can understand that the MDI Child status changes to inactive, but the Main should remain active, after all, the dialogs are part of the same application... Using Spy++, I could...

new user default database
Why does when I create a new user, it would not point to the DYNAMICS as default database in SQL Enterprise Manager and instead points to Master. I'm on GP9.0 and SQL2000. I just upgraded to GP9.0 Try the following article for an explanation of why you might want to use Master as the default database http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/settingadefaultdatabaseforyourlogins.asp -- Charles Allen, MVP "GP Support" wrote: > Why does when I create a new user, it would not point to the DYNAMICS as > default database in SQL Enterprise Manager and instead...

Pivot Table Fix
Yippee, I am so happy, I finally figured out how to trick excel into not showing the blank cell in a pivot table without limiting my data set! In the Pivot table layout move the field from row to page. Then double click on the field and click on the "blank" to hide it. Move the field back to row and hit finish. It seems like you always have to "trick" MS software to do what you want. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...