Upgrading to Server 2008 R2 DC's

I run a one man IT shop and haven't done a major infrastructure change
over before. We are looking at replacing and upgrading our small server
infrastructure. I was hoping someone could give me some things to look
out for. I basically want to replace all of our servers with new ones
and migrate AD and Exchange up. Currently we have:

1x Server 2003 Standard SP2 that is Exchange Standard 2003 / DC / DNS
(this has OWA facing internet)
1x Server 2003 Standard SP2 that is DC / DHCP
1x Server 2003 Standard SP2 that is a file server
1x off site hosted website

I want to move to (i would be buying new hardware all around):

2x Server 2008 Standard R2 that is DC / DNS / DHCP
1x Server 2008 Standard R2 that is Exchange Standard 2007
1x Server 2008 Standard SP2 that is Web/App Server
1x Server 2008 Standard R2 that is File Server

Our current AD domain is a company.local that i want to move to a
company.com (i want to pull our hosted website back in house and keep
our OWA site up). I think i have a good grasp on migrating to the 2008
AD.

1. Add new 2008 R2 server to domain as member
2. Add the DC role with GC, DNS, and DHCP role
3. Add second 2008 R2 server to domain as member
4. Add the DC role with DNS (do i need GC here too?)
5. Demote the old DC servers and remove them from the domain

Since my 2003 schema was modified by exchange 2003, how will the update
to 2008 affect it? How hard is it to move over from the company.local to
the company.com domain setup?

I assume i need to follow similar steps for the exchange server?

1. add new 2008 r2 server to domain as member
2. install exchange 2007 standard (im guessing this will modify the AD
schema as needed)
3. Move mailboxes from 2003 server to 2007 server
4. once all mailboxes moved, remove 2003 server from network

I know this is a combo Directory Services / Exchange question, but
those two things are so integrated, i hoped this would be the best place
for the question. Thanks for any help, and i apologize for the "noobish"
questions.

--
Brian Manning
Brian Manning's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/183687.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
Brian

Money 2008 User Manual
MS has an online Microsoft Money Plus User Guide at http://www.microsoft.com/money/support/manual/MoneyPlus/3sku_toc_p001.htm Unfortunately, this brings up an online document that does not provide a means of doing a search. I wanted to search the document for preferred payees but could not find a way to do it. Does a pdf version of the manual exists somewhere? If not, does an index of the document exist (it does have a TOC on the first page)? I have used Help out of Money, but was hoping for more information from the User Guide. Thanks, Mike in short the Online user guise was not design...

RWW SBS 2008 02-24-10
Cannot connect to client desktop using "Domain IP/remote" We get to Remote Web Workplace main menu. Select connect to desktop and receive the following error: "To connect to Remote Web Workplace you must install the proper certificate. Contact the person who provides tech support for your network." We tried to install the "Install Certificate Package" on the client as suggesed with no luck. SBS 2003 was seamless. What am I missing with 2008? Ken wrote: >Cannot connect to client desktop using "Domain IP/remote" We get to >Re...

still problem in Exchange server 2003
Dear All, I was posted the below message before some days and infact unfortunately no solution tell now the new thing I want to say that the problem solved for 3 days and come back again without any changing also I want to say that the queue nothing strainge in it except that our message status is alot of them have " Retry" and the result is failur and the log of my event viewer has a lot of event :The connection was dropped by the remote host.as below and I don't want to reinstall my alone exchange server 2003. so please Help by details even it diffecult but it will be sooooooo...

MSP Patch upgrade.
Hello, I hpe someone can help me out with the MSP patchs. I am tring to add the latest patch KB923776 and I am getting the error of "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct update patch." I have read the artical "920827" and well, do you the kind of work load that puts on me. So far every computer I have tried this on has come...

Convergence 2008
Who's been to past Convergence and what's it all about? ...

SBS Monitoring 4GB (2008) Now what?
How do I either delete the monitoring database or move it? I have SQL Express, can see the database, have shrunk the log database, but stuck with the .mdf SBS Monitoring. Errors all over the place saying I can add or modify the data. Help and TIA Bobby I'd start here: http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/07/14/sbs-2008-console-may-take-too-long-to-display-alerts-and-security-statuses-display-not-available-or-crash.aspx And make sure to read through the comments of this blog post too. They cover manually running the cleanup the first time (which I recommend) s...

CRM Server Application has not yet been upgraded error...
I have posted on this one myself before and was fortunate enough to have it go away on its own last time around. I also have seen this one go unanswered for others, but here is another cry for help... When trying to install CRM SFO on Win XPPro Outlook 2k3 Both fully patched in a CRM 1.2 environement, I am getting a message that says " Your CRM Server application has not yet been upgraded. Upgrade Microsoft CRM Server first, and then try upgrading Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook again". Message makes it appear the system thinks there is a version mismatch, but this office has never ...

restore mail to server
Is there a way to restore mail back to the server (Comcast.net) after Windows mail 6 vista home premium 64 sr2 unintentionally deleted mail from server after downloading? Only to forward them to yourself. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Athon1" <Athon1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:107E3E79-9937-4ACB-AB06-2C374D1D4CFE@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to restore mail back to the server (Comcast.net) after > Windows > mail 6 vista home premium 64 sr2 unintentionally deleted mail from ...

emails not delivered untill after server reboot
Hi, This morning, people found that sent emails were not being delivered (they could open and work in Outlook). After I rebooted the Exchange Server, late emails from the last couple days started showing up in people's inboxes (it appears that most emails from yesterday were delivered on time but some were not delivered until aftre this morning's reboot). Any thoughts on what would hold up email delivery for some emails until after a server reboot and cause total delivery failure? After rebooting, several application log errors came up including EventID 5, Source MSExchange...

Standard Office:mac/ Student Teacher Upgrade ?
I have Office:mac standard full version and have for nearly two years. However, I rarely use it now but have made my computer available to foreign language student teachers that wanted it upgraded to 2004 version. As it was for the language students I decided I would see if I would qualify to purchase the Student Teacher upgrade edition. No questions or forms were presented to me as I expected and it is now on route to me purchased on the web. I am now wondering if the registration is at install and will the student / teacher upgrade my full standard edition ??? Due to receive it by post ...

Hot Fixes and Upgrades
Can someone send me the link to download the hotfixes for version 1.3.1002. Tx go to customer source. "mikeP" <mikeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBDF4F09-C1C2-4204-8859-15329C4A877E@microsoft.com... > Can someone send me the link to download the hotfixes for version > 1.3.1002. > Tx This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_020E_01C7A88B.0AF4E2D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Mike, You can't download it, but MS will send it to you if you are o...

migrate from vc6 to studio 2008
Hi, I would like to know if it is interesting for me to migrate from VC++ 6.0 (old but not too heavy) to studio 2008. I am working only in C++ (with MFC). I work also with PHP. I have seen that the editor can manage this language but I don't know if developement tools are available such as debuger, class management ... Thank you for your opinions Jeff "J-F Portala" <jfportala@free.fr> ha scritto nel messaggio news:481ed1e9$0$27225$426a74cc@news.free.fr... > I would like to know if it is interesting for me to migrate from VC++ 6.0 > (old but not too heavy) &...

Cannot upgrade to SP1
When I run Money 2007 on my computer (Windows Vista RC1), Money prompts me to run the SP1 update -- and goes through the process of installing the update, but it doesn't seem to stick. I have to run Money again and it prompts me to run the update (so the update never seems to apply, no matter how many times I install it). Help! Before you open it right click on the shortcut and go to log in as log into the admin account and try Steve "kenclem" <kenclem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04EDA3F5-9F59-4758-AB8B-18E4150DA04E@microsoft.com... > When I...

Secondary DPM server
Hi I have three primary DPM servers that replicates to one secondary DPM server. Is't possible to run the switch protection CMDLET and letting the secondary become primary just for one of the primary DPM servers and still be secondary for the other two primary? -- Check out my DPM blogg robertanddpm.blogspot.com When switching protection in DPM 2010 it is done on a data source level within the protection group so you can manually choose which data sources to switch protection on. So to answer your question, yes this should be possible if you switch protection on the ...

Server Address in E-Mail Account Replaced by Localhost
I have been seeing a recurring error involving my e-mail accounts in Outlook 2002. Every so often the "Incoming Mail Server" stored for each of my six accounts is replaced with the word "localhost" and the server name is tacked on in the "User Name" field as follows "{user name}/ {server name}. The "Outgoing Mail Server" information is unaffected. The first I become aware of this issue is when I see an "Enter Network Password" dialog box pop up which shows the server name after the user name on the "User Name" line an...

Exchange server role changed.
I am at a customer site where they have promoted their Exchange 2003 server to a DC. As this is unsupported can I simply demote it without issue??? TIA Dave On 1 Mar 2005 05:02:09 -0800, "davemcl" <davidm@intellimaxsolutions.com> wrote: >I am at a customer site where they have promoted their Exchange 2003 >server to a DC. > >As this is unsupported can I simply demote it without issue??? > >TIA >Dave It's not an unsupported function at all. Actually Dave is correct - it is not supported. From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822179 "You can...

Upgrading to 1.3R
Hi all, I am running a 1.2 setup with 9 stores and HQ. My stores are all over the country. I noticed in the upgrade documentation the MS will not support a partial upgrade. Am I supposed to fly around the country (Australia) do all the upgrades (of course this will be smooth as silk), fly back to HQ, do the upgrade, not interupting any communication between stores and HQ in one day so our downtime in comms is minimal? Of course this is unrealistic. Can I upgrade HQ manager and HQ server FIRST and then when I verify all is well go to store 1, upgrade their HQ CLIENT, make sure the comms...

Outlook 2000 - create profiles with newprof.exe wit Internet E-Mail
Hi, we want to create our Profiles automatically with newprof.exe. Outlook is configured in the C/W-Mode, we use no Exchange Server We can create the service Personal Folder and Outlook Adress-Book, but we cant create the Service Internet-E-Mail. We get the following messages: Newprof -P c:\outlook.prf -S outputs the following: A New internet account was created. Reading descriptor file: [c:\outlook.prf]. Creating profile [Microsoft Outlook Internet Settings]. Unable to cross reference MAPISVC.INF. Creating message service [Internet E-mail]. Unable to create message service [Internet E-mai...

Archiving PSTs directly from a server
Greetings: I work for a government archive and have been tasked with completing a preservation project - we have received an Exchange server (WIndows 2000/SP 4 and Exchange 2000) to which I have full admin rights. [Usually entities that are sending us records do the exporting themselves but not in this case, so they handed us the entire server instead.] I know enough about Exchange to hopefully get through this since we don't have to make any changes or actually administer this as a working server - just get the email off the server and preserve it (for now) on archival-quality media. ...

"unable to bind to the destination server in dns" ERROR
I recently moved a server to its new location. After the move, I am now getting a "unable to bind to the destination server in dns" error message and have 84 and counting messages in queue that is not being delivered to any mailboxes. Any ideas? This is exchange 2003. F.y.i Exchange is pointing to the internal DNS server. The domain we are trying to deliver to is an internal domain. External mails go just fine. We have the domain listed in the smtp connector under address space. An nslookup for a mx record for that domain returns the correct information. On the server where ...

Upgrade questions, re: 2003 to 2007
Hi all, Using 2007 now as a frontend with Oracle RDMS. Existing 2003 Access .mdb is opened with the new version, 2007. However, adding of records, via a form or query, fails. (Note, it works fine with Access 2003.) The query behind the form and the other query consists of two tables with a one-to-one relationship. (The left-side table contains a foreign key which the right- hand table is the parent table.) The error message is that the Access engine cannot find the record, in the right-side table, with key matching fields. I have figured out a few different fixes. The fi...

Exchange Server 2003 HTTP ERROR
Hi, Im new to being a Sys admin. I installed windows 2003 small business server. It comes with Exchange server 2003. I am having problems configuring it for the WEB. (OWA). When I type the URL https://www.myip.com/exchange. It lists the directories of the user I have created and some other directories, (that is problem number one). When I click on on of the users it then sends me to the Correct web page that has the Outlook 2003 login page so that I can view my email on the web via exchange. But when I type in user name and password I get "Page can not be displayed. HTTP ERROR 405 verb u...

Sending links with spaces to server located files.
I am currently using Outlook 2000 SP3 corporate version on Windows 2000 SP3. When composing new messages, if I try to include a link to a file on a server with a space in the name the link gets cut off at the first space in the path. So if I try to paste a link to \\server\your folder folder the link points to \\server\your . If I change the format outlook works in I get the same result in RTF and Plain text formats. If using HTML format I can change the address of the destination folder when I insert a hyperlink. Is there any way to make this type of link work correctly in RTF or plain text m...

Integration between Office Accounting Prof 2008 and MS CRM 4.0/Onl
Does anyone know what type of integration is available between Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2008 and Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0/Online applications, if any? Such as ability to sync up account, contact, quote, order, invoice, product catalogue, etc between the two products. If there are no pre-integrated tools available, do you know what is the best way to integrate/sync these two applications? Thanks, JL, Hi JL, We have developed an Integration module for Office Accounting 2008. It takes care of all the functionalities requested by you. You can check further details ...

switching out the sql server in crm environment
Currently I have a crm server, integration server, and a sql/exchange/active directory server in my test environment. CRM is up and running, I've already done the integration process from GP and I've done the migration process from siebel. I finally came across another box that I can use and my sql server. I'm wanting to remove sql from the current box that it is on and move it to another box. Does any know of any problems with this? I know everyhting is pretty much based off of the sql server. So, how do I go about changing where the crm server and integration serv...