Trust problem: DNS name resolution works, nltest /dsgetdc fails

Hello,

one AD ist 2003 forest level, the second AD is in the 2008R2 forest level.
The connection between the two locations is not limited, all traffic will be
forwarded to the remote location.
We want to establish a forest trust between both AD's.

Set up conditional forwarders in both AD-DNS which point to one of the
DNS-Servers of the remote AD. Then we could establish a two way forest trust
created from the 2003 AD, but if we try to verify this from the 2008R2 AD
this fails. If we try to establish the two way trust from the 2008R2 AD this
also fails (typed in the DNS name of the domain, then be requestet to select
the trust type "with windows domain" because the called name is no valid
windows domain name; after click to next the trust assistant stops: could not
find the domain).

Ping (from the 2008R2 location) to the domain fqdn or to the domain netbios
name of the 2003 AD is successful, this means the conditional dns forwarding
works. But nltest /dsgetdc:domain-fqdn fails (Error with domain controller
name: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN).

A colleague checks the DNS and SRV entries of the remote 2003 AD - these
"seems" to be ok. But anyway, we (the 2008R2 AD) could successful resolve
(ping the domain name and the domain servers) but nltest and the trust agent
doesn't find the remote domain.

Any hints?

Regards,
Rainer

"Rainer" <Rainer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> one AD ist 2003 forest level, the second AD is in the 2008R2 forest level.
> The connection between the two locations is not limited, all traffic will
> be
> forwarded to the remote location.
> We want to establish a forest trust between both AD's.
>
> Set up conditional forwarders in both AD-DNS which point to one of the
> DNS-Servers of the remote AD. Then we could establish a two way forest
> trust
> created from the 2003 AD, but if we try to verify this from the 2008R2 AD
> this fails. If we try to establish the two way trust from the 2008R2 AD
> this
> also fails (typed in the DNS name of the domain, then be requestet to
> select
> the trust type "with windows domain" because the called name is no valid
> windows domain name; after click to next the trust assistant stops: could
> not
> find the domain).
>
> Ping (from the 2008R2 location) to the domain fqdn or to the domain
> netbios
> name of the 2003 AD is successful, this means the conditional dns
> forwarding
> works. But nltest /dsgetdc:domain-fqdn fails (Error with domain controller
> name: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN).
>
> A colleague checks the DNS and SRV entries of the remote 2003 AD - these
> "seems" to be ok. But anyway, we (the 2008R2 AD) could successful resolve
> (ping the domain name and the domain servers) but nltest and the trust
> agent
> doesn't find the remote domain.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Regards,
> Rainer

Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?

As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional forwarding
setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional forwarder on
EACH of the DC/DNS servers?

Is one domain or the other possibly single label name?

Are any of the DCs multhomed and/or have RRAS installed?

Are there any ISP's DNS addresses in any of the DCs' IP properties?

Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
issues.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
4/7/2010 11:22:11 PM
Ace,

thanks for your support. Here are the comments to your questions:

Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?
Forest Trust

As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional forwarding
setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional forwarder on
EACH of the DC/DNS servers?
The forwarding is “stored in Active Directory” and set to “Replicate to all
DNS-servers in the organization”

Is one domain or the other possibly single label name?
No

Are any of the DCs multihomed and/or have RRAS installed?
No

Are there any ISP's DNS addresses in any of the DCs' IP properties?
No

Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
issues.
No firewall rules (all ports are opened)

Regards,
Rainer

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
> setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
> changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
> issues.
>
> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
> responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please

Any hints to my last response ?

"Rainer" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
> > setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
> > changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
> > issues.
> >
> > --
> > Ace
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> > confers no rights.
> >
> > Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
> > responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.
> >
> > Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> > MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> > Microsoft Certified Trainer
> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> >
> > If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please

I am sorry, I missed your response.

Reading back in your original post, and  your response, I assume that =
the Forwarder(s) used on the 2008 side (since you set them to be AD =
Integrated in 2008), are correctly pointing to the 2003 DNS server(s) of =
the 2003 domain you are trying to setup the trust.

I noticed you said when you ping by NetBIOS name, it returns a ping. DNS =
is not used for NetBIOS names, unless you mean you had set a Search =
Suffix for the other domain, and it is resolving by suffixing the =
NetBIOS name to the search suffix of the other domain's domain name, or =
you have WINS in place and have a replication partner to the other =
domain's WINS server?

If nltest is failing from the 2008 side testing communications to the =
2003 side, that will point to a DNS misconfig, as far as I can tell.=20

To test it further, and just for testing, if you remove the Conditional =
Forwarder and create secondary zones for the 2003 domain name on all of =
the 2008 DCs, making sure that the zones transfer, then does nltest and =
the trust work? This step is to try to eliminate whether DNS rsolution =
is a factor here.

Just conjecturing - It could also be based on the DNS names and their =
namespaces. If the DNS domain name such as child.domain.local, yet you =
have a forwarder for domain.local, and there is no domain.local zone =
created, then resolution won't work because it was configured as a =
separate namespace.=20

Can you describe the namespaces on both sides?

Ace

> Any hints to my last response ?
>=20
>=20
> "Rainer" wrote:
>=20
>> Ace,
>>=20
>> thanks for your support. Here are the comments to your questions:
>>=20
>> Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?             =20
>> Forest Trust
>>=20
>> As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional =
forwarding=20
>> setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional =
forwarder on=20
>> EACH of the DC/DNS servers?                                 =20
>> The forwarding is =E2=80=9Cstored in Active Directory=E2=80=9D and =
set to =E2=80=9CReplicate to all=20
> [...]

>> > setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports =
have been=20
>> > changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise =
expect=20
>> > issues.
>> >=20
>> > --=20
>> > Ace
>> >=20
>> > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees =
and=20
>> > confers no rights.
>> >=20
>> > Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration =
benefit among=20
>> > responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your =
resolution.
>> >=20
>> > Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, =
MCSE &=20
http://support.microsoft.com=20
>> > for regional support phone numbers.=20
>> >=20
>> > .

0
Ace

Public Folder Problem #12
I installed a second 2003 sp2 Exch server and have moved all of the existing mailboxes but can not view Public Folders under the admin group on the new server in esm. I get "token supplied to the function is invalid; ID # 80090308". Can anyone tell me what this is and how to correct it? Do you have require SSL set on the default virtual server? -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu ____________________________ MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA Http://www.msexchange911.org Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog) "rw" wrote: > I installed a second 2003 sp2 Exch server and have mov...

OnPaint() Problem
Dear everyone: I am creating an IE browser using the microsoft web browser activeX control. After placing the microsoft web browser in a dialog box, i am trying to draw some ellipses on top of it. Those ellipses disappear if the dialog box in minimised/maximised or if another window is placed on top of the dialog. Can some one help me solving this problem? Thank you Here is some code: bool drawings = false; void CPaintNightMareDlg::OnPaint() { CPaintDC dc(this); // device context for painting if(drawings == TRUE){ drawShapes(dc); // this is a call to the drawShapes method } if...

Email address switched to domain name after sending
I used to know this one, but I am swamped and would appreciate if someone could remind me. I have a client running SBS 2003. Their email address is client@companyname.com but when it is sent it gets changed to client@domainname.com ...In other words, Exchange server is stripping the actual pop3 address and replacing it with its own domain name at the end. This, of course, is a little aggravating when the recipient clicks reply and it comes back as NDR. Anyone? Check the Recipient Policy - is it generating addresses for the externally visible smtp domain - companyname.com? Is set a...

Excel print out problem
I have export several files from Lotus Notes to MS XP Excel files. When the click print preview those files at Excel, the file is OK. However, if the file is more then 1 page, the 1 st row will be repeated on everypage after printing. If I delete the 1 st row, then the 2 nd row will become the 1 st row and the print out is OK. I try to clear all the format in the cell and then re-created the format at excel file but when the file print out, it will keep repeating the 1 st row again. Any help? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com...

MAJOR PIVOT TABLE PROBLEMS
Hi, Trying to make an inventory ledger that displays all products, with all their transaction no's and dates subcategorised under the products using excel pivot tables. The problem was that If i kept row fields as product, under that transaction date and under that transaction no then i could not get the running total to work properly. I made another cell in my source data called transaction date & transaction no, and put that under product and finally my running total started working properly. removed individual transaction date and transaction product row fields. I got another pr...

VB Script Errors in Working Scripts
Hello All, I am a SAP Admin and I'm trying to implement some SAP GUI VBScript files so we can automate some adminsitrative tasks. I've been given some scripts that seem to work according to multiple people, but on two machienes I get an VBScript error when running them. I've looked endlessly for a mention of this error and get absolutly nothing other than IE8 errors. The purpose of this script it to simply login to an SAP installation. The code and error is as follows: **The Code** 1 Set SapGui = GetObject("SAPGUI") 2 Set application = SapGui.GetS...

email domain problems
Setting up SBS2003 for a company "abc.com" The windows domain is abc.local. The pop3 connector goes out to get the email for abc.com who those use this server. The problem is sending to users at other locations that also use email addresses @abc.com. It seems that when sending email, Exchange first looks at local email addresses to decide where to route the email. For example, if john@abc.com has an account on the local server, then email for john@abc.com is put directly into his inbox. The problem arises in sending email to Bill@abc.com who does not have a local email ...

Problems installing to MS CRM 3
Installing MS CRM 3 (RTM code) with trial licence to SBS 2003 Server with SP1. Install reporting an error on SRS where the HTTP:\\SERVERNAME can't be reached. I note that the default web site doesn't have a host header - is this what is causing the problem ? Have already performed the recommended work around (deactivating loopback check) on SBS. Generally frustrated with this as we were all told that the installation was much simpler now !! ...

Quotes add in for Excel->some options not working
Sorry for posting here but seems the most experts on this hang out here. I've been using Excel Stock Quote add in for several months in an Excel worksheet. Mostly stock quotes but 8-9 options quotes as well. Everything working fine until today when 4 of the options refuse to update at all. The corresponding stock price updates no problem as do all other quotes. But these options quotes are either wrong or not updating at all. I've made no changes. Anyone seeing anything else where that might account for this weirdness? options quotes are for AAPL, ATLS, C See ...

Multiple Outlook Problems
I am running Office XP. Recently I have been unable to open links in e-mail messages unless IE is already open. It tries to link, shows hourglass, but then goes back top teh email message. If IE is open, it works fine. Sometimes even have trouple opening Excel attachments unless Excel is already open. Tried fixing by using "detect and repair" in the Help menu. Now whenever I try to open Outlook I get four error messages in succession. Each referrs to an add-in that is missing or defective. The messaages are long but end as follows: ....\addins\msspc.ecf .....

Excel cannot access "file name".
First dialog box show that : Excel cannot access "file name". The document may be read-only or encrypted. Then second dialog box show up : Cannot access "file name". Any idea to solve this problem? Thank you. First I would try copying the file to another directory, and changing the filename..........then see if it will open. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "MG" <MG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00740C2C-F05D-4112-BF8F-F014CB77910D@microsoft.com... > First dialog box show that : Excel cannot access "file name". The document...

New Email To: Field shows previous names
When I create a new email, I start to type the persons name in the To field. If I type Ste, a list pops up showing me names all starting sith "Ste". This is great except, there are names in this list that are no longer valid. How can I remove names from this pop-up list? Some of the names popping up are not in my contact list. I suspect that the names popping up are based on me receiving previous emails from the person. Thanks, Steve Steve <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I create a new email, I start to type the persons > name in the To fiel...

Exchange server reboot to allow check name in outlook
Why on a daily basis do I need to reboot the exchange server in order for the "Check Name" feature in outlook to work. If I reboot, it will work for a while but when I add new users in AD, after a day or so, I have to reboot for the feature to work. If there is a service that I can restart for this to work, it would be much easier than rebooting the server. Thanks, Dan - MCP You should not need to do this so there is something else going on and you need to identify the underlying issue. Can you explain in more detail what is happening? Nue "Field Support Rep" <...

problem printing booklet
I'm not very familiar with publisher, so please be patient. I have a friend who created a booklet in publisher in landscape format. She typed the text on both sides of the page and when she prints it the text changes to portrait format with a smaller font. Can anyone tell me what she should do? Please email me directly with 'Publisher' as the email header. Thank you. In page setup, be sure your friend is choosing booklet (In older versions it maybe called "special fold"). It will automatically set to landscape (in older versions you will have to tick the landscap...

Strange problem when saving excel 97 to Windows 2003 server
We just upgraded our File server from a NT 4.0 machine to a Windows 2003 Server machine (active directory + new hardware). We have several computers still running windows 98 and office 97. A couple of our windows 98+ Excel 97 users ran into a problem when saving simple (no macro) Excel documents on the server. Excel froze showing only a white screen. When checking the server folder in real time when this error occurred I saw that the document name that should have appeared in the drive was not there and instead a ever growing file named: "06D7A00" appeared. It kept growing (over 2 GB...

My audio doesn't work
It seems like media playback on my computer doesn't work anymore. I feel like I have tried everything to fix the issue. I have had this problem in the past but it seemed to fix itself after a day or so. It has been weeks now and I still can't get sound to work. Symptoms: itunes won't play anything when I click on a song itunes will play a video but without any sound windows media player skips/fast forwards through videos and mp3s in about 3 jumps without any sound you tube will play videos without sound trying to view other videos online skips through as well I'...

Mass Deletion of Range Names?
It's easy to create many range names all at once using "insert/name/create" for a large number of selected rows and/or columns of data having row and/or columns headings. Once those ranges are created, is there any way in EXCEL to do a mass delete of those range-names from the spreadsheet? You can clear or delete the worksheet they are on, but that doesn't delete them as range names in the workbook. You can also go to the menu and "insert/name/define" and then proceed to delete each range-name individually, but it won't let you select and delete all...

Windows 7 and Outlook 2007 problem
I updated to Windows 7, and reinstalled Office 2007. I cannot install Outlook, and when I go into Control Panel/Mail I get the message that the Exchange Server is not available. I cannot get past this. "doctoral student muma" <doctoralstudentmuma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24D9800F-52FA-4416-AF66-0DC2454F2B89@microsoft.com... >I updated to Windows 7, and reinstalled Office 2007. I cannot install > Outlook, and when I go into Control Panel/Mail I get the message that the > Exchange Server is not available. I cannot get past this. Su...

Money 2004 Business and Invoice Designer Problem
When I click on Invoice Designer, Money displays an error message telling me that I have not accepted the End User License Agreement (EULA). I have reinstalled the product twice and accepted the agreement both times at installation. Has anyone encountered this and do they have a solution? ...

Combine several Names in one folder with if-formula
Hello, how is it possible to calculate with the same Content (e.g.Emailadress exists 5 times) and to sum up the revenue which are made through this emailadress? Is it possible with the if-formula? Thanks vicky -- Vic1978 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Vic1978's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28708 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=491409 Do you mean =SUMIF(A:A,"someone@somewhere.com",B:B) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing di...

can't make color scheme work
I tried applying it on a word table I pasted in Publisher 7; when that didn't work, I tried using a blank custom-sized business card--still didn't work! There is a tutorial here that shows you how to use Color Schemes. http://cbt.brainstorminc.com/microsoft/help.php?file=publisher4 When you open the fill menu the top row of colors represents the color scheme being used in the present Publisher publication. The tutorial will show you how to change any one of the scheme colors. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "editor10" <editor10@discussions.micros...

Mouse snap-to setting no longer works in Office 2010
I just upgraded from Office Pro 2007 to Office Pro 2010 and am running XP Pro SP3. I have my mouse pointer option snap-to pointer option set to automatically move the pointer to the default button in a dialogue box. This feature works in OP2007 but does not work for me in OP2010. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, did you get it to work and what did you do? Thank you for any help you can give me. If no answer here try the Office 2010 forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010 "fzuther" <fzuther@discussions.microsoft.co...

xls file extension to wks "Works" extension
I have an Excel 98 work sheet with 'xls' file extiension that I can't open in 'Works'. I have no way to "save as" wks file extension. Is there some other way for me to convert an old Excel .xls spreadsheet to a Works spreadsheet??? Help!!!!!!!! I'm not sure whether Works allows importing or not, but you might tr saving your Excel file as a "csv" file, then importing it into Works -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Add series names to legend after the chart has been created
How do I do the above other than edit the series name in the source data window. Hi, You can edit the series name in the source data window. Or selecting the series and then editing the series formula in the formula bar. Or by linking to a cell reference, then you simply edit the cell. Cheers Andy Barry wrote: > How do I do the above other than edit the series name in the source data > window. > > Andy, thanks for the reply. I do not think I explained it very well. I have a chart that is complete, and in the legend it just shows the little colour squares. Is there ano...

Analysis ToolPak - Excel 97
In Excel 97 I have attached the add-in for the Analysis ToolPak using Tools - Add-ins I then go to the Tools menu and select Data Analysis - at which point nothing happens Any ideas how to fix it so this works Thanks very much for any help Danny Which of the following are you saying? - "Data Analysis" does not appear on the Tools menu - "Data Analysis" does appear on the Tools menu, but when you select it you do not get the Data Analysis dialog listing the Analysis Tools - You do get the Data Analysis dialog, but you don't know how to use the tools on it Jerry da...