Trust problem: DNS name resolution works, nltest /dsgetdc fails

Hello,

one AD ist 2003 forest level, the second AD is in the 2008R2 forest level.
The connection between the two locations is not limited, all traffic will be
forwarded to the remote location.
We want to establish a forest trust between both AD's.

Set up conditional forwarders in both AD-DNS which point to one of the
DNS-Servers of the remote AD. Then we could establish a two way forest trust
created from the 2003 AD, but if we try to verify this from the 2008R2 AD
this fails. If we try to establish the two way trust from the 2008R2 AD this
also fails (typed in the DNS name of the domain, then be requestet to select
the trust type "with windows domain" because the called name is no valid
windows domain name; after click to next the trust assistant stops: could not
find the domain).

Ping (from the 2008R2 location) to the domain fqdn or to the domain netbios
name of the 2003 AD is successful, this means the conditional dns forwarding
works. But nltest /dsgetdc:domain-fqdn fails (Error with domain controller
name: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN).

A colleague checks the DNS and SRV entries of the remote 2003 AD - these
"seems" to be ok. But anyway, we (the 2008R2 AD) could successful resolve
(ping the domain name and the domain servers) but nltest and the trust agent
doesn't find the remote domain.

Any hints?

Regards,
Rainer

"Rainer" <Rainer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> one AD ist 2003 forest level, the second AD is in the 2008R2 forest level.
> The connection between the two locations is not limited, all traffic will
> be
> forwarded to the remote location.
> We want to establish a forest trust between both AD's.
>
> Set up conditional forwarders in both AD-DNS which point to one of the
> DNS-Servers of the remote AD. Then we could establish a two way forest
> trust
> created from the 2003 AD, but if we try to verify this from the 2008R2 AD
> this fails. If we try to establish the two way trust from the 2008R2 AD
> this
> also fails (typed in the DNS name of the domain, then be requestet to
> select
> the trust type "with windows domain" because the called name is no valid
> windows domain name; after click to next the trust assistant stops: could
> not
> find the domain).
>
> Ping (from the 2008R2 location) to the domain fqdn or to the domain
> netbios
> name of the 2003 AD is successful, this means the conditional dns
> forwarding
> works. But nltest /dsgetdc:domain-fqdn fails (Error with domain controller
> name: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN).
>
> A colleague checks the DNS and SRV entries of the remote 2003 AD - these
> "seems" to be ok. But anyway, we (the 2008R2 AD) could successful resolve
> (ping the domain name and the domain servers) but nltest and the trust
> agent
> doesn't find the remote domain.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Regards,
> Rainer

Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?

As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional forwarding
setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional forwarder on
EACH of the DC/DNS servers?

Is one domain or the other possibly single label name?

Are any of the DCs multhomed and/or have RRAS installed?

Are there any ISP's DNS addresses in any of the DCs' IP properties?

Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
issues.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
4/7/2010 11:22:11 PM
Ace,

thanks for your support. Here are the comments to your questions:

Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?
Forest Trust

As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional forwarding
setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional forwarder on
EACH of the DC/DNS servers?
The forwarding is “stored in Active Directory” and set to “Replicate to all
DNS-servers in the organization”

Is one domain or the other possibly single label name?
No

Are any of the DCs multihomed and/or have RRAS installed?
No

Are there any ISP's DNS addresses in any of the DCs' IP properties?
No

Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
issues.
No firewall rules (all ports are opened)

Regards,
Rainer

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
> setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
> changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
> issues.
>
> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
> responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please

Any hints to my last response ?

"Rainer" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
> > setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
> > changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
> > issues.
> >
> > --
> > Ace
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> > confers no rights.
> >
> > Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
> > responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.
> >
> > Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> > MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> > Microsoft Certified Trainer
> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> >
> > If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please

I am sorry, I missed your response.

Reading back in your original post, and  your response, I assume that =
the Forwarder(s) used on the 2008 side (since you set them to be AD =
Integrated in 2008), are correctly pointing to the 2003 DNS server(s) of =
the 2003 domain you are trying to setup the trust.

I noticed you said when you ping by NetBIOS name, it returns a ping. DNS =
is not used for NetBIOS names, unless you mean you had set a Search =
Suffix for the other domain, and it is resolving by suffixing the =
NetBIOS name to the search suffix of the other domain's domain name, or =
you have WINS in place and have a replication partner to the other =
domain's WINS server?

If nltest is failing from the 2008 side testing communications to the =
2003 side, that will point to a DNS misconfig, as far as I can tell.=20

To test it further, and just for testing, if you remove the Conditional =
Forwarder and create secondary zones for the 2003 domain name on all of =
the 2008 DCs, making sure that the zones transfer, then does nltest and =
the trust work? This step is to try to eliminate whether DNS rsolution =
is a factor here.

Just conjecturing - It could also be based on the DNS names and their =
namespaces. If the DNS domain name such as child.domain.local, yet you =
have a forwarder for domain.local, and there is no domain.local zone =
created, then resolution won't work because it was configured as a =
separate namespace.=20

Can you describe the namespaces on both sides?

Ace

> Any hints to my last response ?
>=20
>=20
> "Rainer" wrote:
>=20
>> Ace,
>>=20
>> thanks for your support. Here are the comments to your questions:
>>=20
>> Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?             =20
>> Forest Trust
>>=20
>> As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional =
forwarding=20
>> setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional =
forwarder on=20
>> EACH of the DC/DNS servers?                                 =20
>> The forwarding is =E2=80=9Cstored in Active Directory=E2=80=9D and =
set to =E2=80=9CReplicate to all=20
> [...]

>> > setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports =
have been=20
>> > changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise =
expect=20
>> > issues.
>> >=20
>> > --=20
>> > Ace
>> >=20
>> > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees =
and=20
>> > confers no rights.
>> >=20
>> > Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration =
benefit among=20
>> > responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your =
resolution.
>> >=20
>> > Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, =
MCSE &=20
http://support.microsoft.com=20
>> > for regional support phone numbers.=20
>> >=20
>> > .

0
Ace

RDP incoming not working on Server 2003
I have a server running Server 2003 Standard which has been running just fine for some time but this week a new problem has arisen. I cannot establish an RDP session with it, no remote system on its subnet can even make an initial RDP connection at all. On the server itself, I can RDP out to any PC on the subnet with no problem. I've also looked all through the Event Logs and there are no errors at all that have anything to do with this or at the times I've tried to connect from a remote PC. I checked over and over to make sure Remote Connections are allowed in My ...

Ctrl + ; stopped working
For the past week I've been able to enter the current date into a DB sub form field with formatted field using Ctrl = ; but now it's not working properly. Instead of entering the date, it moves the cursor to the center of the formatted field, and inserts nothing. I'm wondering what could have changed. I went directly to the sub form deleted the formatting, then redid it. But it's still not working even there in the sub form alone. My sincere thanks for any help you may offer. -- Norm Shimmel Butler, PA Strange that I should reply to my own message. But I was just surpr...

Naming charts on own sheet
Hi. I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own sheets). I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else in a macro). I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking on them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box. Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names. Thanks for your help. Hi, If you have chart sheets you can change the name by simply changing the sheet tab name. What you described is the method used on chartobjects, which are usually on a worksheet. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Mi...

Hiding sheet tab names
I created an automated workbook where I need to keep the sheet tab name hidden from the user. I went into Tools-Options-View and unchecke Sheet Tabs. Then I protected the workbook and the sheet yet the use can still go into Tools-Options-View and re-check the Sheet Tabs t view them again. How do I lock the user out of viewing the sheet tabs? :confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use the "very hidden" property that prevents users from viewing hidden worksheets without using VBA: Dim ws2 As Worksheet For Each ws2 In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets If w...

The Links from e-mails don't work
If I copy the links and insert it into IE 8 it reads it. Trying to link over from an e-mail directly is not working. If I copy the link and go to IE 8.0 the link (URL address) works. It was working before. pgman27 You mean if you click on the link in a message it does nothing, not even an error message? Are you certain IE has all its defaults? Open the Default Programs applet, which you can access either from the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item: "Set your default programs." After a few seconds, a list of programs comes up. Click on...

An Outlook 2003 Problem

copy does not work in word 2003

Excel worksheet with VBE codes don't work elsewhere
Hi, Some of my excel worksheets with embedded controls and VBA codes don' work when I open it on another PC. Is there another way to make i work? Thx -- lazybea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lazybear's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3519 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=54955 Specifically what problems are you having? Saying "don't work" means absolutely nothing. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC ww...

CRM 4.0 Custom Report Filter Problem

Setting up my work outlook account at home
I do not know how to set-up my outlook at home to check and receive email at home. This is really a question for your Mail Administrator. This depends on what ISP is used for work or if you use the Exchange Server. Then there may be a domain access issue. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Liz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:049a01c39db2$d8df2cb0$a501280a@phx.gbl... I do not know how to set-up my outlook at home to check and receive email at home. ...

I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does not work. When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. How can I get it to work. Thanks. On Apr 4, 12:33=A0pm, Mint <chocolatemint77...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does > not work. > When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. > > How can I get it to work. > > Thanks. Is this Windows MCE SP2? What method did you use to add time update permission to your limited user account? Does your unlimited user accou...

Duplicate personal folders problem
Hello all, I have a problem with Outlook 2003 and I hope someone can help me resolve it I imported a PST file from Outlook XP that was on a different machine, and now I have two versions of Personal Folders in my All Mail Folders list. They both have Deleted Items, Drafts, Inbox, Junk E-mail, Outbox, Sent Items and Search Folders in. One of them has an icon of a piece of paper with a clock to the top left and a house to the top right. The other one has an icon like a stack of files (like from a filing cabinet) They are clearly referencing the same thing, as the Deleted Items both have al...

Interesting Solver problem (Solver encounters an error)
Here's an interesting problem, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts o this. Recognize that my real problem is very complex (severa intermediate calculation including some iterative steps), but th problem I'm having seems similar (conceptually anyway) to this simpl problem. Given a data set: x,y 10,3.9 8,3.2 7,2.8 6,2.2 5,1.4 4.5,0.8 4,0.01 3.8,-0.4 3.6,-1 3.5,-1.4 3.4,-1.8 3.3,-2.4 3.2,-3.2 3.1,-4.6 3.05,-6 One could look at the data and say, "that looks like the curve y=ln(x) but with a different asymptote other than the y-axis and possibly scaling factor." So we choos...

Excel Problem #3
I have win2000 with Office 2000 in the network! When i try to rename one excel file my computer make restart. This hapening not to all files,and all files there are in the same folder in the network! What hapen,and what i can do so as to work out the problem? I have all the required permissions on that network folder. No one else has any of the files open. They are not shared workbooks. ...

Select All Names
We have a form with a combo box and that combo box executes a query to find all of the records matching the user's name. The query derives that value from a form based parameter called vName. This is how the process works. 1. The user starts by selecting their name via a drop down list combo box on a dialog form. 2. That selection becomes the value of vName. 3. The user clicks OK and then moves to the data entry form. 4. On the data entry form, the user then clicks on another combo box which runs the aforementined query, which in turn uses the value of the variable vName to find ...

Problems with MFC list controls
I have a large list control with many inventory control items displayed within. When someone single clicks on an item, it displays information about that item in another part of the dialog. I have a three-fold problem, the master list has multiple columns in it, in order to make the selection work properly, only column 0 can be selected, is there a way to make a valid row selection if you select an item using any of the other columns? Second issue is the highlight of the selection. Only column 0 in the list control will highlight, is there a way to make the entire row highlight when an...

Next button problems
I have a next button in a form that I have criteria for. I have a date field that has to be entered before going to another record. When I click the next button I get the pop up that says click update to continue but the form displays the next record instead of staying on the current record that needs updating. Here is the code that I am using. ____________________________________________________________________________________ Private Sub Command39_Click() If IsNull([Post Called Customer]) Then MsgBox "You must click the UPDATE button to continue!!!" Cancel = True End If On Erro...

Problem with message routing between EXCH2K and EX2K3
We are running a ver simply Exchange topology, with an Exchange 2000 single server (ServerA) acting as "dumb" Information Store. Incoming and outbound SMTP email is relayed through a Linux based SMTP host relay on the same subnet, which handles all domain lookups for mail routing. ServerA is configured to use to the Linux SMTP server as it's smart host. The domain is a native Windows 2003 AD topology. My problem is the following: I have recently added a new Exchange 2003 Server (ServerB) into our Exchange site topology. If I create a user (UserA) on ServerA and then do a...

Range Names with Charts
I would like to use rangenames to specify the data sources for a chart, but Excel does not seem to like this. I have tried entering the rangename in the following formats: rangename =rangename ={rangename] ={"rangename"} .... and various other formats. Surely there is a way to do this ....? Art Hi, try either depending on whether the named range is local to the sheet. =sheetname!rangename =bookname.xls!rangename cheers Andy ArthurJ wrote: > I would like to use rangenames to specify the data sources for a chart, but > Excel does not seem to like this. I have tried en...