Trust problem: DNS name resolution works, nltest /dsgetdc fails

Hello,

one AD ist 2003 forest level, the second AD is in the 2008R2 forest level.
The connection between the two locations is not limited, all traffic will be
forwarded to the remote location.
We want to establish a forest trust between both AD's.

Set up conditional forwarders in both AD-DNS which point to one of the
DNS-Servers of the remote AD. Then we could establish a two way forest trust
created from the 2003 AD, but if we try to verify this from the 2008R2 AD
this fails. If we try to establish the two way trust from the 2008R2 AD this
also fails (typed in the DNS name of the domain, then be requestet to select
the trust type "with windows domain" because the called name is no valid
windows domain name; after click to next the trust assistant stops: could not
find the domain).

Ping (from the 2008R2 location) to the domain fqdn or to the domain netbios
name of the 2003 AD is successful, this means the conditional dns forwarding
works. But nltest /dsgetdc:domain-fqdn fails (Error with domain controller
name: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN).

A colleague checks the DNS and SRV entries of the remote 2003 AD - these
"seems" to be ok. But anyway, we (the 2008R2 AD) could successful resolve
(ping the domain name and the domain servers) but nltest and the trust agent
doesn't find the remote domain.

Any hints?

Regards,
Rainer

"Rainer" <Rainer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> one AD ist 2003 forest level, the second AD is in the 2008R2 forest level.
> The connection between the two locations is not limited, all traffic will
> be
> forwarded to the remote location.
> We want to establish a forest trust between both AD's.
>
> Set up conditional forwarders in both AD-DNS which point to one of the
> DNS-Servers of the remote AD. Then we could establish a two way forest
> trust
> created from the 2003 AD, but if we try to verify this from the 2008R2 AD
> this fails. If we try to establish the two way trust from the 2008R2 AD
> this
> also fails (typed in the DNS name of the domain, then be requestet to
> select
> the trust type "with windows domain" because the called name is no valid
> windows domain name; after click to next the trust assistant stops: could
> not
> find the domain).
>
> Ping (from the 2008R2 location) to the domain fqdn or to the domain
> netbios
> name of the 2003 AD is successful, this means the conditional dns
> forwarding
> works. But nltest /dsgetdc:domain-fqdn fails (Error with domain controller
> name: Status = 1355 0x54b ERROR_NO_SUCH_DOMAIN).
>
> A colleague checks the DNS and SRV entries of the remote 2003 AD - these
> "seems" to be ok. But anyway, we (the 2008R2 AD) could successful resolve
> (ping the domain name and the domain servers) but nltest and the trust
> agent
> doesn't find the remote domain.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Regards,
> Rainer

Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?

As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional forwarding
setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional forwarder on
EACH of the DC/DNS servers?

Is one domain or the other possibly single label name?

Are any of the DCs multhomed and/or have RRAS installed?

Are there any ISP's DNS addresses in any of the DCs' IP properties?

Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
issues.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
4/7/2010 11:22:11 PM
Ace,

thanks for your support. Here are the comments to your questions:

Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?
Forest Trust

As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional forwarding
setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional forwarder on
EACH of the DC/DNS servers?
The forwarding is “stored in Active Directory” and set to “Replicate to all
DNS-servers in the organization”

Is one domain or the other possibly single label name?
No

Are any of the DCs multihomed and/or have RRAS installed?
No

Are there any ISP's DNS addresses in any of the DCs' IP properties?
No

Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
issues.
No firewall rules (all ports are opened)

Regards,
Rainer

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
> setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
> changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
> issues.
>
> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
> responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please

Any hints to my last response ?

"Rainer" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Are there any firewall rules between the two locations? If you plan on
> > setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports have been
> > changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise expect
> > issues.
> >
> > --
> > Ace
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> > confers no rights.
> >
> > Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
> > responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.
> >
> > Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
> > MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> > Microsoft Certified Trainer
> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> >
> > If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please

I am sorry, I missed your response.

Reading back in your original post, and  your response, I assume that =
the Forwarder(s) used on the 2008 side (since you set them to be AD =
Integrated in 2008), are correctly pointing to the 2003 DNS server(s) of =
the 2003 domain you are trying to setup the trust.

I noticed you said when you ping by NetBIOS name, it returns a ping. DNS =
is not used for NetBIOS names, unless you mean you had set a Search =
Suffix for the other domain, and it is resolving by suffixing the =
NetBIOS name to the search suffix of the other domain's domain name, or =
you have WINS in place and have a replication partner to the other =
domain's WINS server?

If nltest is failing from the 2008 side testing communications to the =
2003 side, that will point to a DNS misconfig, as far as I can tell.=20

To test it further, and just for testing, if you remove the Conditional =
Forwarder and create secondary zones for the 2003 domain name on all of =
the 2008 DCs, making sure that the zones transfer, then does nltest and =
the trust work? This step is to try to eliminate whether DNS rsolution =
is a factor here.

Just conjecturing - It could also be based on the DNS names and their =
namespaces. If the DNS domain name such as child.domain.local, yet you =
have a forwarder for domain.local, and there is no domain.local zone =
created, then resolution won't work because it was configured as a =
separate namespace.=20

Can you describe the namespaces on both sides?

Ace

> Any hints to my last response ?
>=20
>=20
> "Rainer" wrote:
>=20
>> Ace,
>>=20
>> thanks for your support. Here are the comments to your questions:
>>=20
>> Did you select a Domain trust, or a Forest trust?             =20
>> Forest Trust
>>=20
>> As for DNS resolution between both sides, you have conditional =
forwarding=20
>> setup, which is one way to do it. Did you set the conditional =
forwarder on=20
>> EACH of the DC/DNS servers?                                 =20
>> The forwarding is =E2=80=9Cstored in Active Directory=E2=80=9D and =
set to =E2=80=9CReplicate to all=20
> [...]

>> > setting up firewall rules, 2003 and 2008 use of emepheral ports =
have been=20
>> > changed. It is suggested to allow it wide open, no rules, otherwise =
expect=20
>> > issues.
>> >=20
>> > --=20
>> > Ace
>> >=20
>> > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees =
and=20
>> > confers no rights.
>> >=20
>> > Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration =
benefit among=20
>> > responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your =
resolution.
>> >=20
>> > Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, =
MCSE &=20
http://support.microsoft.com=20
>> > for regional support phone numbers.=20
>> >=20
>> > .

0
Ace

SBS2K3 REVERSE DNS Question
I just downgraded an SBS 2003 SP2 to single-NIC and while checking out the configuration following CEICW and RAW, I noticed that there's a PTR entry in the reverse DNS list that points to a network that (so far as I know) has never been on our LAN. Basically, the main (good) PTR is 192.168.31.x (our LAN) and the "spurious?" PTR is 192.168.37.x (whose?). Is this just "junk" or something "sinister" or just a typo from long ago? More to the point, should I delete it? Exchange server isn't even sending/receiving mail. Thanks... -- Bil...

How to assign a value as a Named Area
I would like to write a VBA to make some copies automatically. The range is to be selected based on a cell's value. For example : if A1 = "General Admin" Then print area named "GA" if A1 = "Sales Admin" Then print area named "SA" My VBA is : Dim x As String If ActiveCell.Value = "General Management" Then x = "GA" ElseIf ActiveCell.Value = "Sales Admin." Then x = "SA" ElseIf ActiveCell.Value = "Beijing" Then x = "BJ" ElseIf ActiveCel...

I need to convert name 3 part name into Last, First MiddleNameorMI
I have a column of names, most of which are FirstName LastName in format. Some, however are First MiddleName (or MI) Last. I need to convert these values into LastName Firstname MI. I have a formula that gets close, but doesn't account for the possible presence of a Middle Name or initial. For ex, data could be Jill Smith, or Jo Ann Smith. I need to make Smith, Jill and Smith, Jo Ann. Seems like I need to go backwards thru the string with a Search function to find the 2nd space for this to work, but can't. Or should I try it by parsing consecutive columns with incremental chan...

"is it the one-time scheduled payment?" problem
Hello! I'm using Microsoft Money 2006 Deluxe and i've the following problem: When i'm trying to enter new transaction to a account than MM6 constantly ask about "is it the one-time scheduled payment?"... As I understand MM6 match scheduled transactions with entered, but it always give me this dialog (independ from manually entered amount). How can I disable this matching so that MM6 do not popup this dialog? My other "favorite", that I don't think you can disable, either, is the one about updating the scheduled item when you enter one with changes. Seems ...

Problem Money 2000
Hi, i've problem to connect to server. The internet name server is changed. Where can i modify address site? Can you provide more information? Which server? What are you trying to do in Money when you get the error? "Raffaele" <Raffaele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69B4EE14-4EB6-43E3-A441-65074188B5CE@microsoft.com... > Hi, > i've problem to connect to server. > The internet name server is changed. > Where can i modify address site? > > ...

Login problem (Try this)
Works for me now by just starting money with "msmoney -s" and that's it, I skipped the rest of the instructions. I have been able log in and out several times with no problems. >-----Original Message----- >Works for me now by just starting money with "msmoney - s" >and that's it, I skipped the rest of the instructions. >I have been able log in and out several times with no >problems. >. Doesn't work. Still need to enter password which is deemed incorrect. Doesn't work for me.... >-----Original Message----- >Works ...

Problem with Copy-Paste in Publisher 2003
I use Publisher to make a monthly newsletter and already have the template laid out, I have been doing this for 2 years. I was using Pub 2000, and I find a problem with copying and pasting from my website into an exsiting text box with pub 2003. It wants to make a new unsized text box Is there a fix? Thank you When you are ready to paste into Publisher, select Edit|Paste Special. From there you can chose unformatted text. (I don't particularly care for that feature but it's the way it is.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "docproc" <docproc@discussio...

Great problem
I have a great problem. My MFC dll crashes. I dont have any expirience in debugging MFC or DLLs. How can I discover a problem? It crashes on place where there is no code lines (???). If I put something abow or below that line everything above will execute properly. This is a small peace of code: Debug("This works\r\n"); } catch (...) { Debug("Never comes here.\r\n"); return 0; } Debug("Never comes here.\r\n"); I belive that some of my previous actions causes memory overwrite and when app accessed "overwritten" peace of memory it imme...

Dynamic Series Name
I have a table that is set up using "Data-Filter-AutoFilter" so that the user can click a drop down arrow in the header for column 1 (the x-values), select a value, and the table displays only those records. A chart is connected to the table. In the chart I want the series name to be the user's choice of the dropdown value. For example, say the x-value choices are "apples", "oranges", or "lemons". If the user chooses "oranges", then that becomes the series name in the chart. Can someone come up with a way to do this. I have thus far...

Enabling DSP plugin in WMP12 fails to repeat playing a media file
I created a video dsp plugin by VS 2005 and MS SDK 6.1. It can be registered in WMP12 (windows 7) and working fine. However, when I click stop and click play to re-start playing a media file, WMP always returns with error "Can not process the request". If I set playback mode to "Repeat", WMP still fails to re-play the file. I doubted that there was some errors in my plugin codes but I created another video dsp plugin by the wizard and just built it without any modification, the result was the same. Please help me... thanks. For WMP,SDK,etc,go to http://msdn.mic...

Formula to lookup named reference based on value
I cant' figure out what the exact words that I'm looking for and if I did I would most likely find the answer. I've got a spreadsheet that has a series of numbers in say column A and it has the numbers 1,2,3,4,5 Further on in the spreadsheet I have named values like CA.1, CA.2, CA. 3 What I want to do is in the formula go: =(X1/SUM(X:X,X,X:X)*CA.2) (for the named range CA.2) Is it possible to have something that goes.... =(X1/SUM(X:X,X,X:X)*"CA"&B4) where B4 = 2 Thus the outcome would be CA.2 ????? =(X1/SUM(X:X,X,X:X)*INDIRECT("CA"&B4)) -- Kind...

Problem with code!
Hi, I have had some success with the help received here in making controls in my forms locked if they have already been filled in and unlocked if they are empty to allow the initial data entry. I now have another problem. Two of the controls in question have default values. One has one character and the other has 2. I have tried the code below in variations, but only the box_no works, as it is simply empty of not. The other two controls don't allow me to edit existing data, but also don't allow me to enter the initial data! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! -- ...

problem with publisher 2000 ,previewing and saving as web page in win 2k
I recently installed win 2k professional. Now when I try to preview or save as a webpage I receive and error that the images are too large or I'm out of memory. Neither of these problems seems to be true. The files I'm trying to preview/save as a web page have worked fine before, The only changes have been to text. ...

Problem installing Business Portal 3.0: "invalid site owner" error
Hi there. I've got extremely little Great Plains knowledge, and I've been tasked with installing Business Portal (I do some SharePoint admin for my company). I'm trying to practice the install on my SharePoint test server, which was already running SharePoint Portal Server/Windows SharePoint Services and has a bunch of SP demo sites running. Near the beginning of the Business Portal installation, at the window where it asks you to specify the Business Portal SQL Login ID, I left it as the default of BusinessPortalServer, because the description states that if you leave it as...

Program Working in 2k with VM but not on the physical computer with 2k.
I am trying to get a windows 95/98 program to run on windows 2000. The program is called omega 6.0 and it uses a printer port dongle and it has a machine connected to it via the serial port. So what I did was use the Microsoft Virtual machine to run windows 2000 on my windows xp machine. I then installed omega and started the program and it said dongle not found. Which was odd because the dongle was plugged in and I know it works through windows 98 on VM. So to fix the dongle not found I used a dongle emulator and then I could get into the program. Except the program said the machine...

4000 defined names
My excel sheet shows some 4000 defined names which i never created. Though I can easily delete these unwanted names using the utitily available at http://www.bmsltd.ie/mvp/, I would like to know, if someone as any idea, as to how these names got created in the first place. These names refer to various servers and computers. This file did travel to various computers but for sure no name was defined on those computers also. Thanks in advance for your help jauney Hi jauney, Did you possibly convert the workbook to web pages. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed ...

create a rewrite rule for the domain name?
Hi all, I've a scenario where I receive an email to a distribution list on my exchange 2003 server from a paging service - skytel.com - that is distributed to local support reps as well as needs to go back out to another page at the same skytel.com paging service. skytel.com sees the message coming from skytel.com and doesnt accept it. Is there a way for me to set up a scenario where I change who the orginal message is coming from or change the domainname when sending back out to skytel.com so it will accept it? I looked at trying to set up a rule on a mailbox but they all forwar...

ftp not working with internet explorer
Hi I have an ftp address that is not working in internet explorer. if you enter the address in internet explorer ftp//x.x.x.x it prompts for the username and password fine but then after entering them it just sits there with the loading page symbol and bar at the bottom slowly moving till it gets to half way, then it stays at halfway for about 10mins then the bar starts moving again to the end but keeps looking like it's loading the page - doesn't seem to come up with an error. PC is not hanged and IE is still responding fine. I have tried it on 2 different pc's at o...

Passport not working with Money
Could someone help me with a very strange problem. I can sign in to Hotmail, ebay, and a number of other Passport enabled sights but receive an error of - "The sign-in attempt for hhoffmeister@hotmail.com was unsuccessful. Please try your sign-in name and password again" when logging into Money. I have disabled the password and re-enabled it to see if that would change anything, which was unsuccessful. I have also tried changing my password which also did not work. Please help, Thanks - Hans ...

... has encountered a problem and needs to close...
Whenever I try to close Outlook I get the message 'Microsoft Outlook has encontered a problem and needs to close'. I use Outlook 2002 - AppVer: 10.0.6626.0 What is logged to the Event Viewer regarding this crash? -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:d06201c4399c$4329f0c0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Whenever I try to close Outlook I get the > message 'Microsoft Outlook has encontered a problem an...

Creating entity problem
Hello, something strange happens, When we try to create a new entity as a crm administrator, the system responds that "An error has occured, contact your system administrator" in a web dialog box. I'm able to create, modify and delete attributes in existing entitites. This problem occurs in 2 different environments: we have installed the Microsoft Technology Demonstration Toolkit CRM 3.0, whe we create a new entity, the error pops up and we have a CRM 3.0 deployed at a production environment and the same error pops up. The MS Tech demo toolkit is english and the producti...

How to reverse the column name and row name?
In the original setting of excel, the column name starts from "A", "B", "C", .....so on and the row name starts from "1", "2", "3".... so on. Is it possible to change the setting to the column name starts from "1", "2", "3" and the row name starts from "A", "B", "C" ? Many thanks in advance ! The simple answer is no. You can change column headings to numbers by adopting the R1C1 notation Tools>Options>General and select the R1C1 style. You could use Row 1 to displ...

Problem with report
O.K. I have completed my purchase order form. As I input my data into my Purchase Order main form and my purchase order subform all info inputs fine. I go check all my tables and everything is working great. I now created a report to print out with all my PO Info on it. So far so good. I am using the example in the 2003 Inventory Management template. On my report, I have a text box that autopopulates from the PO Form that identifes the supplier in which I made the purchase. However when it autopopulates the address, city, state, zip and phone number of the supplier, the report p...

running total problem
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I created a checking worksheet much the same as is given in excel as a ledger sheet. I did this because I want to create other worksheets to track the budget as well. But anyways, when I create a running total in the far right column by just copy and pasting it, the total created by the most current transaction entry, enters down the entire &quot;total&quot; column. Is there some way to have the cells in this column blank until a transaction is entered in their respective row? (the ledger template gi...

The Find function in Outlook is not working
The Find function in Outlook is not working for the majority of my Exchange users. We are all on Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003. We are all on XP SP2. Does anyone have any insight on why this might be happening? They are on Exchange server 2003 using Outlook 2003. No results are returned with basic or advanced find. Server rebooted but the problem still the same. Users can search public folders through tools---> Find---> Find Public folders But they can not search inside public folders using find or adcanced find. Any help please. -- M.B On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 02:13:01 -0700, M.B ...