Restrict workstation to only allow logon by one user

I have a workstation on our network that should only allow a specific user
or group of users to login there.   I can restrict the user to a specific
workstation but I want to restrict a workstation to specific users.

How do I configure that?

0
Chegu

"Chegu Tom" <noemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message =
>I have a workstation on our network that should only allow a specific =
user=20
> or group of users to login there.   I can restrict the user to a =
specific=20
> workstation but I want to restrict a workstation to specific users.
>=20
> How do I configure that?=20
>=20

Does this help?

Restrict Users to Specific Workstations
http://help.lockergnome.com/windows2/Restrict-Users-Specific-Workstations=
--ftopict482635.html

Or to deny everyone except the specific user:

Place all computers you want restricted into one OU then use GPO to =
"Deny log on locally" to the security group under:
Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local =
Policies | User Rights Assignment

Apply this policy to the computer OU.

--=20
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and =
confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit =
among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your =
resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & =
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, =
please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check =
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
0
Ace
3/9/2010 6:21:25 PM
Howdie!

Am 09.03.2010 18:09, schrieb Chegu Tom:
> I have a workstation on our network that should only allow a specific user
> or group of users to login there.   I can restrict the user to a specific
> workstation but I want to restrict a workstation to specific users.

Yeah, Ace is right. I'd use the local Group Policy as far as possible.
That's the best - yet the cleanest way to do that.

Cheers,
Florian
0
Florian
3/9/2010 9:30:23 PM
"Florian Frommherz" <florian@LEAVETHISOUT.frickelsoft.net> wrote in =
message news:%23wPU9%238vKHA.4908@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Howdie!
>=20
> Am 09.03.2010 18:09, schrieb Chegu Tom:
>> I have a workstation on our network that should only allow a specific =
user
>> or group of users to login there.   I can restrict the user to a =
specific
>> workstation but I want to restrict a workstation to specific users.
>=20
> Yeah, Ace is right. I'd use the local Group Policy as far as possible. =

> That's the best - yet the cleanest way to do that.
>=20
> Cheers,
> Florian

Thanks for the plug, Florian.  :-)

Ace
0
Ace
3/10/2010 2:57:24 AM
Thanks guys but I know how to restrict a user to a specific machine.  I want
to BLOCK everyone but specific users from loging on to a mchine.

The second solution to "Deny log on locally".  Would that  allow any network
user to log on?  I am a little lost with OU and GPO terminology,  Will that
allow me to block all but specific users from using a specific machine?

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE &
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Chegu
3/10/2010 8:04:59 PM
Chegu Tom wrote:
> Thanks guys but I know how to restrict a user to a specific machine. I
> want to BLOCK everyone but specific users from loging on to a
> mchine.
> The second solution to "Deny log on locally".  Would that  allow any
> network user to log on?  I am a little lost with OU and GPO
> terminology,  Will that allow me to block all but specific users from
> using a specific machine?

Without implementing "denies", if the domain user is not a member of the
local group "users" then they won't be able to logon.
( Unless they belong to other local groups as well) Domain users are added
to the local "users" group by default when domain joined. if you change that
or better, enforce with restricted groups via group policy only the user /
groups you add will be able to logon to the workstation.

Greater restrictions may dictate greater limitations,  local rights
modifications, or applying "denies" as needed.

> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in
> message news:etcOVV7vKHA.1984@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> "Chegu Tom" <noemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have a workstation on our network that should only allow a
>> specific user or group of users to login there.   I can restrict the
>> user to a specific workstation but I want to restrict a workstation
>> to specific users. How do I configure that?
>>

> Does this help?
>
> Restrict Users to Specific Workstations
> http://help.lockergnome.com/windows2/Restrict-Users-Specific-Workstations--ftopict482635.html
>
> Or to deny everyone except the specific user:
>
> Place all computers you want restricted into one OU then use GPO to
> "Deny log on locally" to the security group under:
> Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local
> Policies | User Rights Assignment
>
> Apply this policy to the computer OU.

--
/kj

0
kj
3/10/2010 8:53:55 PM
> Thanks guys but I know how to restrict a user to a specific machine.  =
I want=20
> to BLOCK everyone but specific users from loging on to a mchine.
>=20
> The second solution to "Deny log on locally".  Would that  allow any =
network=20
> user to log on?  I am a little lost with OU and GPO terminology,  Will =
that=20
> allow me to block all but specific users from using a specific =
machine?
>=20

You are creating the restriciton in a specific GPO and not globally, so =
no, it will not affect anyone that is not in the group used in the GPO =
applied to that specific OU.

Here are some links on GPOs and OUs.=20

Create or delete a Group Policy object
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776678(WS.10).aspx

Creating and Working with GPOs: Group Policy
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782678(WS.10).aspx

However, if you are not aware of how to organize domain objects with =
OUs, it implies that all your user accounts are probably still in the =
Users Container. This container is not an OU and a GPO cannot be applied =
to it. You would have to first organize your objects (users, computers, =
etc) before attempting this.=20

Based on this assumption, take a look at the following I previously =
wrote up, however have not published yet.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
OU Structures and Group Policy Objects (GPOs) Design Considerations and =
Guidelines

It's suggested and recommended to not change the Default Domain Policy.
Keep in mind, whatever you set at the domain level will flow downhill to
everything. I would suggest to design your OU structure to reflect your
organizaiton and/or departments, which will also help you create GPOs =
for
the OU design.

For example, for a company with more than one location/site, I would =
suggest
the following:

Domain
......Philly OU
...............Accounting
...............Sales
...............Marketing
...............Desktop
...............Users
...............Laptops
......Seattle OU
...............Accounting
...............Sales
...............Marketing
...............Desktops
...............Users
...............Laptops

I separated Laptops and Desktops because I have two different Windows =
Update
GPOs set. The Desktop Windows Update GPO I created runs at 3:00 AM, =
whereas
the Laptop Updates run at 3:30 PM while the users have the laptops in =
the
office. This design also allows me to create GPOs for the different =
offices,
or I can create one and link them to both offices. The design =
possibilities
are endless, especially if you control flow with Block Inheritance,
Loopback, WMI filtering, disabling the Computer or User portion of a =
GPO,
etc, however in many cases I do not use these features because trying to
support them 8 months later when there's a problem it is difficult to
remember what you had blocked, etc. Yes youcan use RSOP to look at what =
is
being applied, etc, but I find it easier to simply create another OU or =
child OU to have a different setting than the parent, such as the =
following,
where I created a GPO to lock the desktop with two different time =
settings.
The Desktops OU has a 30 minute setting, but I created a 15 Minute =
Timeout
OU directly beneath it. Because the identical setting isdifferent on the
child, it overrides the parent's setting. I can simply "look" at my OUs =
and
know what I have applied.

......Seattle OU
...............Accounting
...............Sales
...............Marketing
...............Desktops
.....................15 Minute Timeout OU
...............Users
...............Laptops

These are just suggestions, and you may find that it may work for you, =
or
not. Even in a single site, I still do it this way, because it is =
flexible.
You never know when the customer or your company may expand. If they do,
simply create another OU for the new location.

Here's a basic visual of how GPOs work, and how it would flow downhill.
http://www.fekay.com/supportblogs/gpoflow.jpg

Design Considerations for Organizational Unit Structure and Use of Group =
Policy Objects

TechNet Magazine: Group Policy
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc135925.aspx

Group Policy and Advanced Group Policy Management
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/grouppolicy/default.aspx=

Win2k3 AD OU/GPO Design Discussion
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/190896-46-win2k3-design-discussion

AD Scalability and GPOs
[...]

Getting appts to print on one page
I am using calendar assistant to print multiple overlaid calendars at once on letter size paper. All the appointments show up on the first page, except for one. This one pushes to a second monthly page duplicating the first. ie - I get two November 2009s - one with all appts except one and the other page with only the one rogue appointment -- Thanks, Alison ...

MSCRM Opportunity's to allow price override and write in products
The Opportunity functionalirty should allow users to over-ride the price list values as per the quote functions. Additionally the option to have write-in products, again as per the Quotes functionality, should exist as part of the standard Opportunity functionality. This therefore gives the sales person flexibility is pricing the products to suit the client and also include products that are not standard price list items ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

How to delete user mailbox
Since I no longer have 5.5 installed (up'd to 2K) I had a friend ask how to delete a user mailbox and cannot for the life of me remember the interface for 5.5 and how to do that. Can someone give me the step by step to delete a mailbox cleanly? Thx select the mailbox in the Exchange Admin program and hit the delete key... "aaa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1380c01c44417$2d87fd40$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Since I no longer have 5.5 installed (up'd to 2K) I had a > friend ask how to delete a user mailbox and cannot for > the lif...

Windows Mail won't allow me to sign in with correct Usr/pass
I'm having a problem connecting to my windows mail. I have it set up throught my wow account but today i had to reset my password so that i could check my email. now it will now allow me to log in i keep getting this error message The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please c...

User Name prompts
Hi, I am using Microsoft Outlook 2002 and have a two word username separated by a space. I have been having this problem with Outlook wherein I have entered my username and password in the account setup process, but it still prompts me for it whenever it is checking for new messages. Also, when it prompts, it shows the username without the space. Does Outlook not accept usernames with space, because I tried changing the original settings many times, but every time I open the Edit window of email accounts, I see my user name without space. ...

multiple fies updating one file
Hi, How would I setup an excel sheet that needs to collect numbers from other excel sheets. The rows and fields numbers will keep growing. I know how to reference a cell in a file but not sure how you can quickly create a reference to a range of cells and how about when the range keeps growing. Thank you Hi Vic; You can select and copy the range you want to link, then go to then go to the receiving sheet and click the top right cell. Click Edit / Paste Special and select Paste Link. This will link the entire range. If you happen to be running Office 2007 you can right click into the ...

Automatically display set text based on users composition
Hi, im trying to do something really simple, trouble is i dont know what the feature's called to be able to search for tips on how to do it. Basically in outlook messages, when a user begins writing a sentence e.g. "in the terms of" i need a tag to pop up that allows the user to press enter and then the remainder of what they will want to type in will be inserted in, its a yellow tag that comes up above the words. i dont know where it needs to be created and enabled. Cheers, Rhys. ...

Excel
Excel is the only application that I use in Windows that wipes out the clipboard after I paste. I often need to past the same information multiple times and I wishthere was an option box that allowed me to keep the clipboard after every past ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&quo...

PA Cost Categories should allow multiple transaction usage types
When creating new cost categories, in a real life project accounting or job cost environment, most clients don't want all their cost categories to be different. You should be able to say when setting up a cost category that you want that cost category to be able to be used as a Timesheet AND Purchases/Materials, you should be able to pick one or many of the usage types. I currently have a client that had to implement 2 million cost categories to get around this product limitation and there is not one good business reason why the software wouldn't allow this! Please place this...

Users not showing up??
I'm having trouble adding users and mailboxes in Exchange 2003. My Exchange 2003 box is connected to a Windows 2003 DC. On the Exchange box, whenever I add a user in the Active Directory, it shows up as an account, and all the Exchange tabs are assigned to the user....however under Exchange System Manager no mailbox is created...even though I've run Exchange Tasks in the AD on that same box. Is it because I have to somehow sync the AD on the Exchange box to the DC, or is it something else? Please help!! On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:42:02 -0700, "Scott S." <ScottS@discussio...

Outlook Synch error
I have one user and only one user have trouble going back online with the Outlook client. The user is connected to our VPN and then when the user clicks Go Online, it starts to synch then she gets the "the logged-on user does not have the appropriate security permissions to view the records or peform this specifc action" error/message. Outlook works fine and the user can use web CRM just fine. I've already tried changed the user's IE security settings to low, didn't help. Any ideas? James James, Could you provide a bit more information about the user, specifica...

Multi User Application
Hi to all, I am new to access develop applications. I created application for multi user idea I want my application can be accessed by multi users. So I want to know how to distribute or let them access from my computer. I have static ip address 172.28.34.115 and created application in shared the folder. Users have access runtime 2007. Access 2007 used to develop 5 users to connect the database application Please guide me how multi users can access my application with all rights. They can do data entry as well as run query/report. -- Pankaj On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 02:53:01...

Multiple Users for office #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, if I have office:2008 installed on my imac and I set up a new user (one of may staff has left and the new person is using the same machine) how do I get office to appear in the list of applications? I am hoping i dont have to reinstall given it is the same licence being used, just by a new person. All help much appreciated CSR > Hi, if I have office:2008 installed on my imac and I set up a new user (one of may staff has left and the new person is using the same machine) how do I get office to appear in the...

Non local users
Hi all Our company is going to use Exchange 2003 server as our primary mail server. People can send mails via it and they also can receive mails from exchange. Problem is that also non local users can send mails via our server. It is not nice if somebody is using your server as spam server. Could someone advise me how I can block non local users to send mails via our server? Thanks Topi Look at the following links, HOW TO: Prevent Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail in Exchange 2000 Server http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;319356 HOW TO: Prevent Exchange 2000 from Being...

Move OL 2007 and all files to another computer.One on XP one on Vi
Is there a detailed "How Do I file" covering moving OL 2007 with BCM from one computer (that has a damaged or correpted C: Drive ) to another or new computer. I have have some very helpful advice from an earlier post a few adys ago but if a How do does exist that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. Andy To backup and restore your Outlook data see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm For backing up and restoring BCM data see; http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP011134881033.aspx -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsof...

re replicate adc user accounts
Hello all, Some time ago during a migration from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003. Some of our users were deleted after they were replicated over using the ADC, after contacting microsoft they instructed us to gointo exchange 5.5 admin.exe /r in raw mode and modify a attribute, and then replicate adc and your users will replicate over. I cant seem to remember what these attribute changes were could sombody point me in the right direction. The following KB describes the fix for your issue. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256862 Stephen Shanks "Brian B" &...

Mail addressed to user delivered to domain
Hi Guys, My client is running SBS2003 and exchange SP1 I have had a meeting request from an external source sent to a user in the organisation. It has then been received by all users within the organisation. I have opened the meeting request and it is only addressed to the user. I have checked the exchange logs and it clearly shows the message received by everyone, then an NDR sent for any users who were disabled. I am at a loss to explain how this could occur. Does anyone have any ideas? On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 23:30:08 -0800, Thorny <Thorny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >...

RPC Error: creating mail in child domain from mmc User and computer.
Hello, I've an active directory on windows 2000, connected to several childs domains. In my father network i've an exchange 2003. Before i could create mail adress in my child domain from the mmc "user and computer" of my exchange server in my father domain. But now when i want to do " task exchange" on a user i get error : "RPC server is not avaiable, error id : c00706ba...." c00706ba". I don't know if this error is due to the exchange SP1, because i'didn't create new mail account for several month. Someone could help me. Forgive my ba...

re-enabled user, now can't access mail container
i have a user who's account was disabled, i enabled the user and i changed the users password. i then logged in as that user and setup her outlook xp for her exchange account thinking i could then access the user's mail. however i get an error message: Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The attempt to log onto the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed. (Exchange) Any Ideas? I have to forward messages to my boss. TIA, Mike Hello Mike, Go to control panel and click on mail, that is where you will verify user account for exchange. Lowell "Mike Smith...

move page from one document to another
I need some "fast" help! I have never worked in Publisher before, but need to get a project done for an organization I work for. I need to take several pages from one document and paste them into another document. Both documents are already set up in Publisher. I want to basically "copy" from one document to another. HELP!! kdramirez <kdramirez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to take several pages from one document and paste them into another >document. Both documents are already set up in Publisher. I want to >basically "copy&qu...

How to validate User ID creation date in Windows XP
Is there a way to validate the creation date of local User IDs in Windows XP/2003? m_bk wrote: > Is there a way to validate the creation date of local User IDs in Windows > XP/2003? You could query the Security Log but you will only get the information if the log was setup to record events 624 and providing that the log wasn't purged or overwritten: cscript c:\windows\system32\eventquery.vbs /L security /FI "id eq 624" Other than that verifying the creation date on the user's profile folder is the only way that I know of to get the information. ...

Multiple emails w/ same tracking token in one activity?
Is it possible to track an ongoing email conversation as a single activity (assuming tracking token is present and accurate), instead of having each outgoing and incoming email result in a separate activity? One troubleshooting conversation with a contact can end up creating 12 activities in their history. If anyone knows the answer and/or can tell me how to do so, please let me know. Thanks! Afraid not. Each of those seperate emails is a seperate "activity" and thus is tracked seperately. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "SCAB" <SCAB@discussions.microso...

Mutiple Table Entry into One form Wthout using subforms
Hello all I have created a form by adding information from several differnt forms and table as they areall getting input by several differnt people on the network. the problem i am having is that i can not make this new form add records and save them for later query or report from it? could someone please help -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Why do you not want to use subforms? Unless you can join the tables in such a way that the resultant query is updatable (usually a challenge), subforms are the easiest approach. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/D...

Outlook 2000: One Way Sharing of Info using Net Folder
Folks: I'm having an odd sort of one-way net folder experience in trying to share a calendar. I see hints of this in other netnews articles, but never a clear resolution. I'm hoping this is a well-known problem/fix. Here is the configuration: PC 1 (aka BOSS) windows 2000 outlook 2000 mail: pop3 from UNIX box -- no exchange server account for this machine net folders loaded via Microsoft Office Setup ASSISTANT has a "Contacts" entry on this machine that is coded as "Always Send RTF" PC 2 (aka ASSISTANT) windows 2000...

Migrating users
Hi, In my datasource for my migration, there are users linked to records that are no longer in the company. The migration framework guide indicates that to migrate users they must have a domain\username, license, security role. I need to put users into CRM that do not have a license as they are not with the company anymore, but I want to maintain that historical link of those employees to cases they handled while here. Is there a way to migrate the data in this fashion? Thanks, Rick. ...