network time

if one of my domain controllers in a site has the windows time service
stopped will the clients/server authenticating in that site still look
to the pdc for time?

if i run the w32tm /resync command on a machine when the service is
running is syncs successfully. If the service is stopped i get:

C:\ w32tm /resync
Sending resync command to local computer...
The computer did not resync because no time data was available.

PDC is in another site in the domain.

Is this normal? I cant seem to find any documentation on this exact
question.
0
RC

figured as much.

only one dc in the forest is set to look at an external time source.
everything else is set to default nt5ds. network time works perfect,
from the DC side.

from the client/server side is where i had my question which you
answered for me. makes sense but i cant find the doc on microsofts
site that explains this.

oh well, thanks
0
RC
12/2/2009 9:15:20 PM
The machine that is syncing its time externally needs to be the PDCe.

netdom /query fsmo
Will provide you with the role masters

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"RC" <richjchristy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> figured as much.
>
> only one dc in the forest is set to look at an external time source.
> everything else is set to default nt5ds. network time works perfect,
> from the DC side.
>
> from the client/server side is where i had my question which you
> answered for me. makes sense but i cant find the doc on microsofts
> site that explains this.
>
> oh well, thanks

0
Paul

How to specify the url for a server on local network for POST meth
Hi, I am using MSXML in my device driver for sending XML commands to the device acting as server. This device is connected to my local network. How do I specify the url for POST method in the open request. Presently I am using something like following: pIXMLHTTPRequest->open("POST", "http://10.116.26.155", false); where '10.116.26.155' is the IP of the device on the local network. Is this the write way of doing it? If not, how do I achieve the purpose? Your guidance on this would be gratefully acknowledged ASWip wrote: > I am using MSXML in my devi...

How do I calculate the percentage of email i receive over time
I would like to find a formula that calculates the amount of emails i receive, daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly -- pearl Assuming the total number of emails in A1 and the beginning date for the period in B1: =A1/(YEAR(NOW())-YEAR(B1)+1) gives average per year =A1/INT(NOW() - B1) gives average per day =A1/INT(NOW() - B1)*7 gives average per week =A1/(((YEAR(NOW())-YEAR(B1))*12)+MONTH(NOW())) will give you average per month "Pearl" wrote: > I would like to find a formula that calculates the amount of emails i > receive, daily, weekly, monthly, and ye...

how to display current time in status bar?
hi all, how to display current time in the status bar. thanks&regards james Hello james, > how to display current time in the status bar. > You can use SetIndicators to create panes on status bar. You can display any text in it. These are updated with ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI mechanism by default. So if your app is idle and you want to update the time, you will need to have a timer. As usual, check out codeguru and codeproject for sample code. I am certain you will find something there. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com ...

Outlook 2000 saved attachments get wrong times
Is there anyone out there with Outlook 2000 that can tell me if, when they save any attachment, does the saved file get a modified and created time that is different from your PC's clock time? On two PC's I've tried this (one with Windows XP Pro, one with 98SE), they have the system Date/Time Properties Time Zone set to GMT+08:00, and Outlook 2000's Tools | Options | Preferences | Calendar Options | Time Zone is also set to GMT+8:00. When an attachment is saved, it gets modified and created times 8 hours ahead of the Current System Time (CST). Saving attachments in...

Time based inbox rules
Hi there I'm trying to create a rule which moves all emails from a given sender which are more than three days old to another folder. It doesn't appear to be possible as the date related rules all use absolute dates. Does anyone know of an addin or other feature which can do this? (I thought of auto archive but this only works for all messages in a folder; I need to move only messages from specified senders). Thanks for your help Matthew Dixon ...

3.0 Data migration framework still only one time load?
Just wondering if the new framework can do repeat data loads or is it still a one time only process (i.e. no incremental data loading after the first load). Thanks, ...

network password #12
I have a client that has terminal server environment, each user logs on to the TS for everthing, including outlook2003. One user on the network is now getting prompted for his network password every time he tries to send/receive in outlook 2003, none if his standard passwords work(though it should just be his domain credentials). Im jsut wondering if there is anything anyone here knows about this error in a TS environment, and wondering why he can log onto the TS and use the internet without the ability send email? his unername and password to log on to the TS is the same for outloo...

Time stamp
When I close a document I would like to have the time it was saved at the top of the document. How is that done, please? JB You could use a savedate field eg { SaveDate \@ "HH:mm" } which will record the last time the document was saved when the document is next opened, but the field will not update automatically as you make saves to the document during the course of working - it will however fulfil the basic criterion of recording the time. Or you could intercept the FileSave command to add a document variable to the document and update it each time the doc...

It takes time to load records in MS CRM Client
HI All, I am facing a serious problem, whenever i access CRM through Client, it takes time to load and after getting records in it, it is not shown properly. Why so??? please help me out. Client is always connected to server, Is there any way to check if it is connected or not. Thanks in Advance. Nitin Verma Nitin, I had the same issue with a client of mine and after working through all of the standard MS suggestions we found that by removing the clients local OST file and recreating it from the exchange server the issue was resolved. MS informed us of 2 items. 1) Having more then 1,000 e...

Billable time default
Can it be changed? At current the default is 30 on an activity, where can i change that number to a value of "0"? The Activity form is not modifyable in the current version. This is going to change in V2. Guy. "Danb" <Danb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA229DBD-C73A-49FB-A86B-6F695DCE0797@microsoft.com... > Can it be changed? At current the default is 30 on an activity, where can > i > change that number to a value of "0"? ...

Excel save takes 18 times longer than Windows Explorer copy
Hi All I have an Excel system with about 10 sheets and loads of VBA modules and classes. It resides on a network at my company's headquarters. When I copy the file from my desktop to the server using Windows Explorer drag and drop it takes about 6 seconds. However if I open the Excel file from the server from my PC and save it using Excel the save time is 90 seconds. Is this normal? My users are complaining about the time it takes to save after editing. It also means that they are not saving often and are risking losing changes. Any thoughts? If the length ...

email hyperlinks and network paths that dont work correctly
I have an hypertext application on a server in my network and it works fine when people start it from windows explorer, start-run, and internet explorer. But, if I email someone the path to the file and they click that path in the email, the app does not open correctly and appears to lose all of its location reference. For instance, graphics and scripts in the same relative path are no longer available to the webpage. What gives with this? I cant eve email folks the path and prevent outlook from converting it to a hyperlink for them. Very annoying! Please help! ...

Time to dollars
I have a schedule that works really well to calculate how many total hours per employee, but when I want to add a column that multiplies the total hours by an rate per hour, the result isn't right--it comes out in the form of time. If I have a cell that results in 32:00:00 total hours and have that multiplied by say 7 dollars per hour the answer comes out as 224:00:00. I need to use the result in other labor cost calculations, but it wont' work as a time. Is there a way to make that into a number (e.g. 224 )? I need to be able to divied the 224:00:00 result by a number equal...

W32 Time Synchronizaton
We recently installed Ex2007 so we had to install two W2003 DC's. HOwever, we can't demote the two W2K dc's at this time. One of two W2003 DC's has the FSMO and PDC Emulator roles. However, we've found some of our pc's are synchronizing their clocks to a W2K DC instead of the W2k3 DC. Upon investigation, I found the W2k3 DC time was set to NT5DS instead of NTP. The W2K dc was set to NTP. I changed that on both DC's;one to NTP and the other to NT5DS. But, we're still having a conflict. Did I miss a reg setting? Hello paulc, The domain ...

Install Office from a networked PC
Will I be able to install Office (2007) through a home network hub to my laptop that does not have a CD drive? Thank you for your help. Vista SP1->Win7 Yes "Erik" <reply-to-group@email.net> wrote in message news:%23x1YhYxnKHA.5700@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Will I be able to install Office (2007) through a home network hub to my > laptop that does not have a CD drive? > > Thank you for your help. > > Vista SP1->Win7 In article <#x1YhYxnKHA.5700@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Erik wrote: > Will I be able to install Office ...

Each message comes three times
I recently switched from Outlook Express to Outlook. I have three accounts of which two are aliases for the first. Each message to any of these accounts comes in three times! Have I done something wrong? ...

time oldest message submitted column in Exchange Queue
What does this column represent? For example: I have some items in queue under the column "time oldest message submitted" dated 9/23/06 and then when you double click on the queue and click find now the date of the earliest message it is 9/26/06. Where does the date in the "time oldest message submitted" come from? I thought maybe it was the first time an email for that domain appeared in the queue but that doesn't seem right. One more thing that I should probably mention is that the date discrepency is only happening with items that are for domains that appear to be...

Time zone attribute
Hi, Is the time zone attribute an AD attribte or Exchagne attribute? Suppose, My mailbox is newly created in UK server & I'm at India. My client machine's time zone is set to india (new delhi, calcutta,mumbai). When i login to my mailbox for the fitst time (after it is created) from india, which has a time diff of 5:30 hrs. what would be my time zone on the server? Regards, Swamy Read Bharat Suneja blog it goes over this quite well. http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2007/02/dst-2007-understanding-what-needs-to-be.html James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ mse...

i need to convert from UTC time to Local -7 hours offset
i need to convert data from UTC time to my local time witch is -7 hours from UTC (GMT) Hi simply subtract (add) the appropiate time to your cells. Just nore that 1 hour in Excel is equivalent to 1/24 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Kevin Morris" <Kevin Morris@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:52B7A37B-CC11-4313-A450-E010421789E9@microsoft.com... > i need to convert data from UTC time to my local time witch is -7 hours from > UTC (GMT) I tried that can you give me an example I need a formula that will subtract -7 hour for a time colum...

time/date stamp on email
i used microsoft outlook for email. i sent an email to another outlook user and i wanted to find out if he's read it or not. is there any way to view the time/date that the person reads the email ? if you requested a read receipt and if the recipient uses a program that is capable of replying, yes. otherwise, no. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchang...

rpc over http logon time
What is a normal logon time? Two seconds before it asks for a password? 10? 60? Thanks, Neal On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:10:29 -0000, "Neal" <neal@apoyar.co.nz> wrote: >What is a normal logon time? Two seconds before it asks for a password? >10? 60? > >Thanks, Neal > Depends on the link really. 10 would be ok before mail started populating the local OST. I tend to experience 60 because I'm running on a heavily used vmware lab contending with a lot of resources and on the end of an ADSL. You presumably aren't. Got a problem or are you just research...

Time Sheet #4
Need information to create a time sheet with 9 minute increments. ie: cell A3 time 1:03 PM, want A4 to read 1:12PM, A5 to read 1:21 PM, etc to A38 to read 6:36 PM Any help appreciated one way: A4: =A3 + TIME(0,9,0) Copy down as far as necessary. In article <828801c431ec$1d3df8a0$a101280a@phx.gbl>, "George A. Yorks" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Need information to create a time sheet with 9 minute > increments. ie: cell A3 time 1:03 PM, want A4 to read > 1:12PM, A5 to read 1:21 PM, etc to A38 to read 6:36 PM > > Any help a...

Conversion of UTC time to Local time.
I need to convert UTC filetime to Local filetime. Function FileTimeToLocalFileTime() can conver only current timestamps ( it does not use daylight saving time valid for that time, but only the currect DST settings ). Is there any other way to do it ? Thanks in advance, Kamil I didn't found the first article. In the second one 'SystemTimeToTzSpecifcLocalTime' unfortnately I found this in my copy of MSDN : SystemTimeToTzSpecifcLocalTime uses the current settings for the time zone and daylight saving time. Therefore, if it is daylight saving time, this function will take daylight...

How to avoid user open the same "mde" file more than 1 time?
Dear All, Does anyone know how to avoid the user open the same Access "mde" file more than 1 time? I know how to do it on Visual Basic, but it won't work on Access program. Thank you in advance. Regards, Daryl "Egg" <darylchoy@hotmail.com> wrote: >Does anyone know how to avoid the user open the same Access "mde" file more >than 1 time? I know how to do it on Visual Basic, but it won't work on >Access program. API: Preventing multiple instances of a database http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0041.htm ACC2000: How to Determine If Sp...

outlook network ports #3
Anybody familiar with network ports Outlook 2002 uses to establish a connection to Exchange 2000 (including the AD). Netstat reveals some information but I'm looking for some documentation from Microsoft. Thanks ...