Need Clarity Regarding Win 2008 DC and Exchange 03 SP2

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could provide some clarity regarding installing a Win
2008 DC into an existing 2003 sp2 native mode domain that contains Exchange
2003 sp2.

I have looked at the compatibility matrix as well as some other posts here
and wanted to confirm the following:
A Win 2008 DC is supported and Exchange 2003 SP2 will work fine as long as
there are still other 2003 DC's around and the domain functional level
remains at 2003?
Does this holds true for NT machines as well?
Is it OK for the 2008 DC to hold all the FSMO roles and everything still
work normally? (All our DC's are GC's so we don't have to worry about the
Infrastructure Master conflict).

Thanks in advance!!!!

Hello da,

Windows Server 2008 DCs will work together with Exchange 2003 SP2, see "Exchange
Server and Windows Server 2008 Directory Servers" in:
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/08/16/446709.aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hi All,
>
> I was hoping someone could provide some clarity regarding installing a
> Win 2008 DC into an existing 2003 sp2 native mode domain that contains
> Exchange 2003 sp2.
>
> I have looked at the compatibility matrix as well as some other posts
> here and wanted to confirm the following:  A Win 2008 DC is supported
> and Exchange 2003 SP2 will work fine as long as there are still other
> 2003 DC's around and the domain functional level remains at 2003?
> Does this holds true for NT machines as well?  Is it OK for the 2008
> DC to hold all the FSMO roles and everything still work normally? (All
> our DC's are GC's so we don't have to worry about the Infrastructure
> Master conflict).
>
> Thanks in advance!!!!

0
Meinolf
12/23/2009 7:07:11 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Meinolf!

I must have misread the compatibility chart - the 2008 R2 version is not
compatible but 2008 and 2008 SP2 are.

Does the same hold true for the NT machines?  I did read
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942564 - and am I right in that it is talking
about if the domain is at a 2008 functional level?  Even so, does the
workaround in group policy work at the 2008 functional level or do I need to
keep the 2003 DC's around?

Thanks again.

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:

> Hello da,
>
> Windows Server 2008 DCs will work together with Exchange 2003 SP2, see "Exchange
> Server and Windows Server 2008 Directory Servers" in:
> http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/08/16/446709.aspx
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I was hoping someone could provide some clarity regarding installing a
> > Win 2008 DC into an existing 2003 sp2 native mode domain that contains
> > Exchange 2003 sp2.
> >
> > I have looked at the compatibility matrix as well as some other posts
> > here and wanted to confirm the following:  A Win 2008 DC is supported
> > and Exchange 2003 SP2 will work fine as long as there are still other
> > 2003 DC's around and the domain functional level remains at 2003?
> > Does this holds true for NT machines as well?  Is it OK for the 2008
> > DC to hold all the FSMO roles and everything still work normally? (All
> > our DC's are GC's so we don't have to worry about the Infrastructure
> > Master conflict).
> >
> > Thanks in advance!!!!
> >

> .

Sorry - I found more info as well - according to the compatibility matrix
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee338574%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx
the domain functional and forest functional levels of 2008 and 2008 R2 are
both unsupported with Exch 2003 sp2.

So although a 2008 DC is supported, the domain functional level cannot be
increased to 2008, correct?

Regards.

"da crusher" wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply Meinolf!
>
> I must have misread the compatibility chart - the 2008 R2 version is not
> compatible but 2008 and 2008 SP2 are.
>
> Does the same hold true for the NT machines?  I did read
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942564 - and am I right in that it is talking
> about if the domain is at a 2008 functional level?  Even so, does the
> workaround in group policy work at the 2008 functional level or do I need to
> keep the 2003 DC's around?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:
>
> > Hello da,
> >
> > Windows Server 2008 DCs will work together with Exchange 2003 SP2, see "Exchange
> > Server and Windows Server 2008 Directory Servers" in:
> > http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/08/16/446709.aspx
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Meinolf Weber
> > Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> > no rights.
> > ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> > ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
> >

> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I was hoping someone could provide some clarity regarding installing a
> > > Win 2008 DC into an existing 2003 sp2 native mode domain that contains
> > > Exchange 2003 sp2.
> > >
> > > I have looked at the compatibility matrix as well as some other posts
> > > here and wanted to confirm the following:  A Win 2008 DC is supported
> > > and Exchange 2003 SP2 will work fine as long as there are still other
> > > 2003 DC's around and the domain functional level remains at 2003?
> > > Does this holds true for NT machines as well?  Is it OK for the 2008
> > > DC to hold all the FSMO roles and everything still work normally? (All
> > > our DC's are GC's so we don't have to worry about the Infrastructure
> > > Master conflict).
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!!!!
> > >

> > .

Sorry adding to my confusion - so according to
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee338574%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx -both
the domain functional and forest functional levels of 2008 and 2008 R2 are
not supported with Exch 2003 SP2.

So even if I have only 2008 DC's, the domain/forest functional levels still
need to be at 2003, right?

Best Regards.

"da crusher" wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply Meinolf!
>
> I must have misread the compatibility chart - the 2008 R2 version is not
> compatible but 2008 and 2008 SP2 are.
>
> Does the same hold true for the NT machines?  I did read
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942564 - and am I right in that it is talking
> about if the domain is at a 2008 functional level?  Even so, does the
> workaround in group policy work at the 2008 functional level or do I need to
> keep the 2003 DC's around?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:
>
> > Hello da,
> >
> > Windows Server 2008 DCs will work together with Exchange 2003 SP2, see "Exchange
> > Server and Windows Server 2008 Directory Servers" in:
> > http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/08/16/446709.aspx
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Meinolf Weber
> > Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> > no rights.
> > ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> > ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
> >

> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I was hoping someone could provide some clarity regarding installing a
> > > Win 2008 DC into an existing 2003 sp2 native mode domain that contains
> > > Exchange 2003 sp2.
> > >
> > > I have looked at the compatibility matrix as well as some other posts
> > > here and wanted to confirm the following:  A Win 2008 DC is supported
> > > and Exchange 2003 SP2 will work fine as long as there are still other
> > > 2003 DC's around and the domain functional level remains at 2003?
> > > Does this holds true for NT machines as well?  Is it OK for the 2008
> > > DC to hold all the FSMO roles and everything still work normally? (All
> > > our DC's are GC's so we don't have to worry about the Infrastructure
> > > Master conflict).
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!!!!
> > >

> > .

Need help in accessing a sharepoint site that I created with the AllTemplates.exe
SBS2008 with WSS 3.0 I downloaded the AllTemplates.exe from Microsoft and installed the Helpdesk template. I can acess the Helpdesk site from SBS2008 and add things to it but I can't access it from a workstation. Can anyone help me out? Thanks You mean you can only access the site from the Server in local , right? maybe we need more information such as error message. how about doing "ping" or "tracert" result. can you access a normal web site (not sharepoint site) from the workstation ? do you get an authentication window ? "john doe" wr...

Exchange 2003/ 12 Architecture and Functionality Questions
1. Can we configure intelligent message filter in Exchange 2003/ Ex12 to also act on outgoing mails? Our customer would also like to make sure no unsolicited mails originate from their organization. 2. Does the facility to configure the users’ voice messages (which automatically answer other people’s calls) fall under the PABX, or will it have to be done in Exchange 12? 3. Is it possible for two organizations to make use two Exchange 12 Edge servers, while having Exchange Mail Box servers so they can take advantage of the native encryption and signing of mails to and from the two...

Outlook delegate-mailbox deletion problem
This sounds like an easy one however, haven't found resolution yet. Here's scenario... User B reported to User A and added A to his delegation for being copied on all meeting request replies (done from Outlook 2000). All was well until User A left the company and mailbox was subsequently archived and deleted. Ever since the mailbox deletion, all attendees accepting a meeting request from User B receive an NDR referencing inability to deliver reply to User A's mailbox. The typical answer would be to open User B's Outlook app, goto delegates and remove User A.. The problem is...

OE 6.0 and XP home SP2
Daughter's OE is not working and instructions say re-install. Unable to delete the failed OE because it does not show up in add/remove program. Can I download OE without removing the remnants of the failed OE? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson Seamus J. Wilson wrote: > Daughter's OE is not working and instructions say re-install. > Unable to delete the failed OE because it does not show up in > add/remove program. > Can I download OE without removing the remnants of the failed OE? Outlook Express is actually discussed in microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general. You'll...

Exchange server chages email addresse
I have a couple of users and when they send an email to another user exchange for some reason changes the email addresse when sending or when composing it changes the email addresse. We are using Outlook 2003. It seems like exchange is controlling the email addresse . Has anyone else had this problem ? It is like i put in the TO: field in Outlook Thomas.Smith57@atc.army.mil. But when i input a message in the message text in outlook or click send it changes my addresse to Thomas.Smith57@us.army.mil. You don't say whether the "new" address is correct or not. Have you chec...

Select Case help needed
I'm using a Select Case statement to check the value of 24 checkboxes on a form. If true for each case, run the related query. It seems to be running the first query it comes to and not continuing to check the rest. Below is sample code for the first 4 checkboxes. Can anyone help? Select Case True Case Me.chkQCT01.value = True DoCmd.OpenQuery "AccessMWapp", acNormal, acEdit Case Me.chkQCT02.value = True DoCmd.OpenQuery "AccessSEapp", acNormal, acEdit Case Me.chkQCT03.value = True DoCmd.OpenQuery "AccessSWapp", acNormal...

E-mail delay on Exchange
I'm not sure if the issue is with exchange or outlook but when I send an e-mail from a workstation through exchange to another in the same office it takes about 15 -30 seconds to appear in the other mailbox. Any guesses - I running Office 2003 on Windows XP SP1 through Exchange 2003 enterprise on Windows 2003. The clients are in the same exchange server in the same database. Thank you This is because you are running Cached Exchange mode. Cached Exchange mode polls the Exchange server on an interval basis to check it for new e-mail. While it's true that you get this type of dela...

Exchange Server slowness
We use MS Exchange 2002 server for email and use the program Outlook 2003. Lately it has been extremely slow and a message pops up stating it is retrieving file from MS Exchange Server. Any suggestions? If the message appears on your workstation it may not be a server related issue. The issue maybe related to the amount of traffic on the network. To know if the server is slow more information such as disk, memory and cpu utilization needs to be known. Also check if there are any relevant messages in the event logs of your worksatation and server. "Carlos Pisquem" <ccccpi...

Upgrade to exchange enterprise #2
Hello I have just moved to exchange enterprise from exchange standard(with the mailbox move method). Everything has gone well but i'm noticing that i'm still getting event 1221 messages stating that there is x amount of space in the public and private message stores. Just wondering if i should still be getting these messages. I'm aware though that exchange space is white space based and that when you exceed the amount of white space the database will grow again. But just wondering if i should still be getting those 1221's. Thanks On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:17:03 -070...

Need help with Access report
I designed an access report with a facility and a buch of contacts for that. I created a group on the facility ID. I want only a certain type of contact to show up in the facility group header and rest of the contact types in the details sectio. Before some takes a wag at answering this, could you provide a little better description? Individual contacts normally would display in the detail section, not "in the facility group header". Maybe you should type in some significant records/fields and how and why they should display in your report. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access M...

How? Default is current date, but user can edit if needed?
I want Start Date field to default to the current date, but allow the user to change it if needed. Start Date field has a format of Short Date with a mask __/__/__. The boss wants the field to default to the current date to eliminate keystrokes for the user. Scenario: User forgot to input data yesterday that must reflect yesterday's date. How can the field be formatted to allow the user to change the Start Date field if the field defaults to current date? When a field has a default value, it can be changed as you want. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele...

Can't compile at VC++ Express Edition 2008
Hi I just switched to window programming. I have a code which I can compile and run under Unix, but I cant compile it at Window VC++ Express Edition 2008. Here is some part of my code cpp-trick.h #if !defined(PACKET) || !defined(INTEGER) || !defined(STRING) #error Not all necessary macros were defined. #endif PACKET(Auth, STRING(username) STRING(password) ) PACKET(Ack, INTEGER(status) STRING(error_text) ) #undef PACKET #undef INTEGER #undef STRING typedef enum { #define INTEGER(name) #define STRING(name) #define PACKET(name, fields...

Advice needed
In article <C50F94D2.19B2E%john@mcghie.name>, John McGhie <john@mcghie.name> wrote: > the amount of damage done by the viruses his website hosts is so > great that to all practical purposes, it is not possible to fix a machine he > has hit. Umm... You posted this to multiple Macintosh news groups - TEN to be exact (which is largely frowned upon, BTW). Anyhow, there are ZERO Mac OS X viruses in the wild, and it's been this way since the very first release of Mac OS X almost a DECADE ago. Period. End of story. -- Send responses to the relevant news group rathe...

Services Exchange Server
When using the Microsoft Exchange Server service how do you get Outlook 2000 to recognize the service over a broadband, VPN connection? Outlook should be using your default network connection - if you've established a VPN connection and can ping the Exchange server by name, you should just be able to open Outlook. SWT wrote: > When using the Microsoft Exchange Server service how do > you get Outlook 2000 to recognize the service over a > broadband, VPN connection? ...

Using Outlook/Exchange Server as a central dispatch manager?
I'll try to be detailed, but brief. Running Exchange 2K with mixed Outlook clients throughout office. We're a service company and we have a mailbox called "dispatch". When a service call comes in, we create a new task in the Dispatch mailbox, add the detail and then "assign" it to someone. They accept and update until the call is complete (every time a change is made it synchs with dispatch's task). When the call is complete/closed, the task in central dispatch is closed and then processed We want to enhance some of this -- are there any features in Exchan...

Replicating SQL dB with Exchange
How kan i, Replicating e-mail addresses, fax numbers and Distribution Groups from sql database to Ms Exchange 2003? Kind regards "HY" <HY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Replicating e-mail addresses, fax numbers and >Distribution Groups from sql database to Ms Exchange 2003? Export the information from SQL in LDIF format (or into some other format and then convert it to LDIF), then import into the Active Directory using LDIFDE.exe. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm Don't send mail to this add...

Date Range 03-22-07
Tp pull a monthly report I have under criteria of Query: "Between [BeginningDate] And [EndingDate]". When Prompted I can enter Beginning, then End Date. I would like to also include an option where I can leave the beginning date blank and End date blank to pull all records. I have a similar Query that pulls all parts of CLient Names: Like "*" & [Enter Client Name, Leave Blank for All] & "*".... When I am trying to get this to work for my dates, I either Pull All records no matter the date ranges I enter, Or, I pull no records.... I would also l...

Certain TTF Fonts not appearing in Office 2008
System: MacBook Pro 10.5.1 (Intel), Office 2008 S&amp;H Edition <br><br>After installing Office 2008 from Student 2004 the biggest problem I have run into is missing fonts. In my line of work I have several licensed font libraries that I use extensively each day. About half of them no longer show up under Office 2008 either in WYSIWYG or List fonts. <br><br>The fonts are valid as I have been using them for about a year now and only after upgrading to 2008 have they disappeared. I can't figure out a common denominator as to why some are there and others are not. ...

Adding second domain to Exchange server
I have Exchange 5.5SP4 on NT4.0 server SP6a. I have it set up for my company everything works fine... My question is is it possible to add a second company to single exchange server? For example messages sent to domainname1.com will go to the proper people and domainname2.com will go to the proper people. 2 domains running on the same server routing mail to the proper domain. Is this possible? If so can someone point me in the right direction to find the info I need to complete this? THank You This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C45F45.3F0FD1C0 Conte...

Get email with Visual Basic 2008
Hi all Somebody can help me ? I need - Visual Basic 2008 - code to get email from gmail server. "Henrique Baptista" <henriqueobaptista@gmail.com> wrote in message news:C7F2247C.5F72%henriqueobaptista@gmail.com... > Hi all > Somebody can help me ? > I need - Visual Basic 2008 - code to get email from gmail server. > Have a read through this thread: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=514022 There's a wealth of information throughout. Including a useful online C# to VB converter! :-) JW ...

Retiring first Exchange server
We currently have one Exchange 2000 server.We are planning to bring up another Exchange 2000 server and join it to the existing Exchange Organization, move all the mailboxes to the new server, and then shut down the old one. Are there any roles that are associated with the first Exchange server that needs to be transfered over to the new Exchange server. Is there any tech articles that discuss decomessioning the very first Exchange server in the organization, and the tasks that need to be performed. Thanks. here you go: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3079...

Remote Desktop in SBS 2008
We Have been using remote desktop to connect remotely to an application running on a Windows Server 2003 machine and are about to move everything to a new SBS 2008 box. I am having trouble finding information on how to set this up so that a remote user can login to a remote desktop session on the server. Does the application have to be installed on the server? I think you will find that most people in here will advise against having users access the server. Unless I am misunderstanding you. "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:339605...

Configuring Exchange 2000 to use SPF records...
Does anyone have any information on how to configure Exchange 2000 to use SPF records? Our ISP has configured SPF records at their end, and now I want our Exchange server to use them... However, we are using a smart host to relay our email through. I have read where this could be a problem with using SPF - however that article I read was referring to installing the GFI MailEssentials product to use SPF on your Exchange 2000 server - so maybe does not apply to all mail relaying in general if you are NOT using that product.. Does anyone know if SPF checking will work if you are using a s...

Native vs Mixed DC
Hi, Does anyone know what is the difference between native and mixed DC? And how does it impact to CRM installation using either one of this. Hope to hearing from anyone soon. Thx, Carrie I think you mean native vs mixed mode domain. This is feature of the Active Directory and concerns the functionality of Active Directory depending on whether there is a mix of older Windows NT 4.0 Backup Domain Controllers, Windows 2000 DCS and Windows 2003 DCs. Whether you have native or mixed mode on your AD has no bearing on CRM. "Carrie" wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know w...

Need advice on CComboBox
I have a combo box that displays a list of people (firstname + " " + lastname). Each person has an id in a table called customers with an id field. When the user choses the appropriate person in the combo box I want to place the id for that person into another table as a foreign key into the customer table. Unfortunately I can't use the index of the combobox string in the list because it doesn't tie into the id number. How do I use the SetItemData to store the person's id in the combo box so that I can't retrieve it later? why not use a map, define in the STL? ...