Any way to view users passwords in server 2003 AD ?

Is there any way to view users passwords in Server 2003 AD ?

We run a server 2003 SP2 domain, us Administrators have a list of all users
password on a spreadsheet, locked up. We need their passwords in the event we
must sign onto their computers as an admin while they are away, we log back
into the computer with their user name/password when done. You would be
surprised how many people "do not" look at the user name when they log on -
we had panic --- I can not log in, we go to their desktop and the user name
is that of one of the administrators - user did not look.

So the problem is when they change their passwords --- we ask for their new
password. We were searching around the net and so far found no way to view
their passwords in AD, just wondering --- if there is something we are
missing, anyone know a way to view users passwords in AD 2003 ? And this is
all legit, users and managers know that we have and need their passwords ---
we are trust worthy in our shop.

Thanks,
Bob

Hello Bob,

No, the passwords aren't viewable, they are stored in a hash. And for god
this isn't possible. Me as a user wouldn't like that someone knows my password.

If you have the need for logon that's why you are admin and can do what you
like on the machine. Even if  auser is looged in as an admin you can kick
him out without any problem.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Is there any way to view users passwords in Server 2003 AD ?
>
> We run a server 2003 SP2 domain, us Administrators have a list of all
> users password on a spreadsheet, locked up. We need their passwords in
> the event we must sign onto their computers as an admin while they are
> away, we log back into the computer with their user name/password when
> done. You would be surprised how many people "do not" look at the user
> name when they log on - we had panic --- I can not log in, we go to
> their desktop and the user name is that of one of the administrators -
> user did not look.
>
> So the problem is when they change their passwords --- we ask for
> their new password. We were searching around the net and so far found
> no way to view their passwords in AD, just wondering --- if there is
> something we are missing, anyone know a way to view users passwords in
> AD 2003 ? And this is all legit, users and managers know that we have
> and need their passwords --- we are trust worthy in our shop.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

0
Meinolf
4/28/2010 5:11:17 PM
As noted, you cannot retrieve the passwords from AD. No user should ever
tell you what their password is. If a user tells you their password, you
should require that they change it immediately. This has nothing to do with
how trustworthy you are. You don't want to know users' passwords, and you
certainly don't want to store them anywhere.

Most things an administrator needs to do on a computer can be done remotely.
If an administrator must log into a workstation, users will just need to pay
attention.

--
Richard Mueller
MVP Directory Services
"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" <meiweb@(nospam)gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello Bob,
>
> No, the passwords aren't viewable, they are stored in a hash. And for god
> this isn't possible. Me as a user wouldn't like that someone knows my
> password.
>
> If you have the need for logon that's why you are admin and can do what
> you like on the machine. Even if  auser is looged in as an admin you can
> kick him out without any problem.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
>> Is there any way to view users passwords in Server 2003 AD ?
>>
>> We run a server 2003 SP2 domain, us Administrators have a list of all
>> users password on a spreadsheet, locked up. We need their passwords in
>> the event we must sign onto their computers as an admin while they are
>> away, we log back into the computer with their user name/password when
>> done. You would be surprised how many people "do not" look at the user
>> name when they log on - we had panic --- I can not log in, we go to
>> their desktop and the user name is that of one of the administrators -
>> user did not look.
>>
>> So the problem is when they change their passwords --- we ask for
>> their new password. We were searching around the net and so far found
>> no way to view their passwords in AD, just wondering --- if there is
>> something we are missing, anyone know a way to view users passwords in
>> AD 2003 ? And this is all legit, users and managers know that we have
>> and need their passwords --- we are trust worthy in our shop.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

0
Richard
4/28/2010 7:08:48 PM
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 07:35:02 -0700, Bob
<Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there any way to view users passwords in Server 2003 AD ?
>
>We run a server 2003 SP2 domain, us Administrators have a list of all users
>password on a spreadsheet, locked up. We need their passwords in the event we
>must sign onto their computers as an admin while they are away, we log back
>into the computer with their user name/password when done. You would be
>surprised how many people "do not" look at the user name when they log on -
>we had panic --- I can not log in, we go to their desktop and the user name
>is that of one of the administrators - user did not look.
>
>So the problem is when they change their passwords --- we ask for their new
>password. We were searching around the net and so far found no way to view
>their passwords in AD, just wondering --- if there is something we are
>missing, anyone know a way to view users passwords in AD 2003 ? And this is
>all legit, users and managers know that we have and need their passwords ---
>we are trust worthy in our shop.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob

As Meinolf and Richard stated, this is not possible.

If it were possible, I don't believe AD would be a viable and secure
product to run a secure environment and not many would consider it's
use.

Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
0
Ace
4/28/2010 8:43:14 PM
On Apr 28, 1:43=A0pm, "Ace Fekay [MVP - Directory Services, MCT]"
<ace...@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 07:35:02 -0700, Bob
>

> <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there any way to view users passwords in Server 2003 AD ?
>
> >We run a server 2003 SP2 domain, us Administrators have a list of all us=
ers
> >password on a spreadsheet, locked up. We need their passwords in the eve=
nt we
> >must sign onto their computers as an admin while they are away, we log b=
ack
> >into the computer with their user name/password when done. You would be
> >surprised how many people "do not" look at the user name when they log o=
n -
> >we had panic --- I can not log in, we go to their desktop and the user n=
ame
> >is that of one of the administrators - user did not look.
>
> >So the problem is when they change their passwords --- we ask for their =
new
> >password. We were searching around the net and so far found no way to vi=
ew
> >their passwords in AD, just wondering --- if there is something we are
> >missing, anyone know a way to view users passwords in AD 2003 ? And this=
 is
> >all legit, users and managers know that we have and need their passwords=
 ---
> >we are trust worthy in our shop.
>
> >Thanks,
> >Bob
>
> As Meinolf and Richard stated, this is not possible.
>
> If it were possible, I don't believe AD would be a viable and secure
> product to run a secure environment and not many would consider it's
> use.
>
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and con=
fers no rights.

> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit amo=
ng responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

> Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & =
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, ple=
ase contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please checkhttp://support.microsoft.co=
mfor regional support phone numbers.- Hide quoted text -

Although  the MVPs who have chimed are correct for normal situations,
but I have heard plenty of use cases where it would be completely
valid for the admins to know every user's password. This is typically
the case where the information worker staff is highly transitory or
performing some trivial task.

If the admins do have a valid case for persisting user passwords then
you can install a password filter/notification DLL on your domain
controllers. This does not allow you to retrieve existing passwords,
but will allow you to collect them as they are created and changed.
This is typically a development task which consists of compiling the
SDK sample (assuming you can still find it) but there may be freeware
versions out there.

HTH,
Dave
0
DaveMo
4/29/2010 3:22:20 PM
"DaveMo" <david.mowers@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Apr 28, 1:43 pm, "Ace Fekay [MVP - Directory Services, MCT]"
> [...]
> checkhttp://support.microsoft.comfor regional support phone numbers.- Hide
> quoted text -

Although  the MVPs who have chimed are correct for normal situations,
but I have heard plenty of use cases where it would be completely
valid for the admins to know every user's password. This is typically
the case where the information worker staff is highly transitory or
performing some trivial task.

If the admins do have a valid case for persisting user passwords then
you can install a password filter/notification DLL on your domain
controllers. This does not allow you to retrieve existing passwords,
but will allow you to collect them as they are created and changed.
This is typically a development task which consists of compiling the
SDK sample (assuming you can still find it) but there may be freeware

-------------------------

I guess I have seen similar situations, like classroom training sessions, or
a temporary contractor. Perhaps it would be easier in these cases to not
allow the user to change their password. They would use the password you
initially provide. Just recognize that the account could be one where many
people potentially know the password, so it should be restricted. You could
reset the password just before giving the new password to the user, then
reset it when the user is finished, or reset it yourself periodically and
communicate the new password to the user.

--
Richard Mueller
MVP Directory Services
Hilltop Lab - http://www.rlmueller.net

Richard

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

How to suppress repeating password prompts and scope pre-emption?
Outlook (2003,2007, perhaps other versions also) has an absolutely enraging feature seemingly devised to intentionallly cause major distress and anguish on the parts of its users, to wit: Whenever an email account provider computer decides the account has been open too long and requests a new logon, (ATT/Yahoo) or an account was never able to log on in the first place (bad password) a window periodically pops up and the keyboard entry goes directly into the password field with no warning. I am often typing an email etc. and find that the previous paragraph of text, some of i...

AD Sync problem

Linking files 2 ways

password protection paramenters
Hello, I want to be able to unprotect my sheet, add a wordart graphi and reprotect my sheet. The problem I am having is when I do this wit code the file is protected with the default parameters selected. I wan to be able to enable wordart so I can insert a wordart object and the protect the sheet again. I want to get around the user being able to just delect the added wor art. When protected I would like the following parameters to be set: Allow users to select locked cells select Unlocked cells format cells format rows Its the "edit objects" parameter that needs to be enabled fo...

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

Reporting from Project Server

"View Image Slide Show"

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Users ability to Manage Groups

Business Portal should allow requisition to be added to issued PO
The printing of a PO changes the status of the PO from New to Released (signifying the release of the PO to the vendor). Once a PO has been released, it will not show as a PO you can add items to from business portal. The current design of the product only allows you to add to POs with a status of New. Adding an item to a Released PO should trigger a change order. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Terminal Server and GP Settings
Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a question for somebody who is. When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under their user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the settings for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this thinking correct? -- Charles Allen, MVP I think you also have to make certain that the dex.ini does NOT exist in the program install location for GP or it will still look to that. Dwight...

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

Access to User Calendar