AD/Network design question

Hello all

I have a 2 sites which users come and go from.  These sites have 2 different
network ip domains (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). Users need to be
authenticated using the same user id and password at both sites.  DC/GC is at
192.168.1.x and is a SBS 2003.  Server at 192.168.2.x is Server 2003.

When the server at 192.168.2.x is connected via vpn to 192.168.1.x all is
well.

How do I get the server at 192.168.2.x to act as a AD/DC when it’s not
connected to 192.168.1.x ?

Thank you
Hal

I think you will run here into the limitations of SBS :-(

@ SBS experts : is it possible to promote an additional domain controller ?
If the answer here is yes, then you should have your solution.

Regards
Ramazan

"Help me" <Helpme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all
>
> I have a 2 sites which users come and go from.  These sites have 2
> different
> network ip domains (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). Users need to be
> authenticated using the same user id and password at both sites.  DC/GC is
> at
> 192.168.1.x and is a SBS 2003.  Server at 192.168.2.x is Server 2003.
>
> When the server at 192.168.2.x is connected via vpn to 192.168.1.x all is
> well.
>
> How do I get the server at 192.168.2.x to act as a AD/DC when it’s not
> connected to 192.168.1.x ?
>

> Thank you
> Hal

0
RCan
1/26/2010 7:53:59 PM
Hello Help,

It sounds that the second server x.x.2.x is not a DC so make sure it point
to the SBS machine for DNS as preferred only and run dcpromo on it to make
it domain controller. Then make sure before the SBS server uses AD integrated
zones and install DNS server role on the x.x.2.x server. If this is done
make it also Global catalog server. Now reconfigure all machines in that
site to use the x.x.2.2 DC as preferred and the SBS machine as secondary
on the NICs DNS settings.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

> Hello all
>
> I have a 2 sites which users come and go from.  These sites have 2
> different network ip domains (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). Users need
> to be authenticated using the same user id and password at both sites.
> DC/GC is at 192.168.1.x and is a SBS 2003.  Server at 192.168.2.x is
> Server 2003.
>
> When the server at 192.168.2.x is connected via vpn to 192.168.1.x all
> is well.
>
> How do I get the server at 192.168.2.x to act as a AD/DC when it's not
> connected to 192.168.1.x ?
>
> Thank you
> Hal

0
Meinolf
1/26/2010 8:59:36 PM
System at x.x.2.x is Server 2003. There are less then 75 total user.  Server
at x.x.1.x is SBS 2003 r2 and has all rolls.  The issue seems to be that the
server at x.x.2.x is not being considered as a server which can aauthenticate.

If I dcpromo it and downgrade it back to being a server which has its own
dns and dhcp connected to the x.x.1.x server. Do a reboot.  Reconnect the vpn
and dcpromo it back to being a dc will this fix my problem of usings not
being able to authenticate when the 2 servers are not connected ?

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:

> Hello Help,
>
> It sounds that the second server x.x.2.x is not a DC so make sure it point
> to the SBS machine for DNS as preferred only and run dcpromo on it to make
> it domain controller. Then make sure before the SBS server uses AD integrated
> zones and install DNS server role on the x.x.2.x server. If this is done
> make it also Global catalog server. Now reconfigure all machines in that
> site to use the x.x.2.2 DC as preferred and the SBS machine as secondary
> on the NICs DNS settings.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>

> > Hello all
> >
> > I have a 2 sites which users come and go from.  These sites have 2
> > different network ip domains (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). Users need
> > to be authenticated using the same user id and password at both sites.
> > DC/GC is at 192.168.1.x and is a SBS 2003.  Server at 192.168.2.x is
> > Server 2003.
> >
> > When the server at 192.168.2.x is connected via vpn to 192.168.1.x all
> > is well.
> >
> > How do I get the server at 192.168.2.x to act as a AD/DC when it's not
> > connected to 192.168.1.x ?
> >
> > Thank you
> > Hal
>

> .

I have created 2 subnet records x.x.1.x and x.x.2.x on the gc system. As per
the instructions on the website you sent me.

In the dns of x.x.1.0 there are (a) records for x.x.2.x.  It is not listed
as a SOA.
In addition the server at x.x.2.x named server2 is listed int the _msdcs,
domains, gc, sites , _tcp (there is a record _ldap for server2 in this level)
and udp records.

It is not listed in the pdc  ldap records.

Thank you for your advice and support
Hal

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:

> Hello Help,
>
> To authenticate to the second DC make sure it is DNS server and Gobal catalog
> as said before. If you configure AD sites and services with the subnet and
> the site correct and move the DC to the correct, then the user in that site
> will use the site DC first and if it doesn't rresponse it uses the other
> DC if reachable.
>
> See here about AD sites and services configuration:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755768(WS.10).aspx
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>

> > System at x.x.2.x is Server 2003. There are less then 75 total user.
> > Server at x.x.1.x is SBS 2003 r2 and has all rolls.  The issue seems
> > to be that the server at x.x.2.x is not being considered as a server
> > which can aauthenticate.
> >
> > If I dcpromo it and downgrade it back to being a server which has its
> > own dns and dhcp connected to the x.x.1.x server. Do a reboot.
> > Reconnect the vpn and dcpromo it back to being a dc will this fix my
> > problem of usings not being able to authenticate when the 2 servers
> > are not connected ?
> >
> > "Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Help,
> >>
> >> It sounds that the second server x.x.2.x is not a DC so make sure it
> >> point to the SBS machine for DNS as preferred only and run dcpromo on
> >> it to make it domain controller. Then make sure before the SBS server
> >> uses AD integrated zones and install DNS server role on the x.x.2.x
> >> server. If this is done make it also Global catalog server. Now
> >> reconfigure all machines in that site to use the x.x.2.2 DC as
> >> preferred and the SBS machine as secondary on the NICs DNS settings.
> >>
> >> Best regards
> >>
> >> Meinolf Weber
> >> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> >> confers
> >> no rights.
> >> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> >> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

> >> .
> >>

> .

Question about what "Home" means in the Home and Student Edition

Adding new rows
I have a spreadsheet with 100 rows in, I need to add a row after each current row, is there a quick way to do this or have i got to insert each new row individually? -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24783 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=390760 I assume you want to add an empty new row in between the existing rows. One way would be with an extra column Save as "trial" first.......just in case thi...

Need better way to provision AD accounts that are to have mailboxes
The exchange admins in my company have come up with a way for the sys admins to assign the user's mailbox store location. It's based off of last name. For example, if your last name starts with letter A, you go on Storage Group 1, Mailbox Store A, if your last name starts with letter B, you go on Storage Group 1, Mailbox Store B, if your last name starts with letter E, you go on Storage Group 2, Mailbox Store A, etc.... This is, I believe, and administrative nightmare. Is there a better way to provision AD accounts that are to have mailboxes? If it works for you and them, then al...

I would like to design a logo for a new superstore
I just can't seem to get an inspiration to design a logo to use for this superstore. Even coming up with a name seems to be a difficult task. Inspiration here, over 7,000,000 hits http://images.google.com/images?q=logo&hl=en -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "tinard" <tinard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CE8F1689-4D1A-401C-BE11-2F2DB3CF34A6@microsoft.com... >I just can't seem to get an inspiration to desig...

Out of Office Question
We're new to O at our office. On occasion, I get OOO replies when I email people. I ask how they set it up and everyone tells me Tools, then Out of Office. My choices under Tools do not include OOO but they do include Rules Wizard. I feel sure somewhere in there is a way to set up OOO replies but I haven't hit upon the exact procedure. Help is no help at all. I have the disc, I run W2000 Professional. Can someone give me the drill to set up an OOO reply so I can turn it on before I go on vacation next week? Thanks in advance to all who help or try. Steve Ignots Steve, You need to be u...

My Network Places
For some reason, when I click on Start | Run | Browse, My Network Places is not one of the options to Browse. My Network Places is on the desktop and works normally. The options available are My Recent Documents, Desktop, My Documents, and My Computer. It's a fresh build of XP on this machine, so I've probably forgotten to configure something. msnews.microsoft.com wrote: > For some reason, when I click on Start | Run | Browse, My Network > Places is not one of the options to Browse. My Network Places is on > the desktop and works normally. The options available ar...

PDF question
Our (non-profit) organization puts out a newsletter (created in Publisher), and we'd like to convert it to PDF to send it to some people that way. I know how to do this (I have Primo PDF), but when I just did it, the fonts in (small) sections on two of the pages were garbled. In one instance it was an unusual font, so I thought that might be the problem. But in the other instance it's not an unusual font. Is there any way I can change/correct the garbled font? I have Adobe Acrobat reader 5.0. Seems like I might have tried to upgrade a while back and it didn't "ta...

Calender related question
Is there a way to tell what time and date an appointment was created. We have Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 and Windows 2003 Server. Thank you In outlook, you can add the "Created" column and that will show the create time for that item. "Vic Abrahamian" <VicAbrahamian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EC32A4D-4C7B-46A0-862B-A5F165AECCDE@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to tell what time and date an appointment was created. > We have Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 and Windows 2003 Server. > Thank you ...

Update stored procedure question
We are using VS 2008 and SQL Server 2005. I have a table Spread that has 1 Integer column called SecurityID. I have a stored procedure spUpdateSpread that increment the SecurityID by 1, and returns that value. If more than 1 process call the stored procedure at the same time, will it return the correct SecurityID ? Thank you CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Spread]( SecurityID [int] NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED ( [SecurityID] ASC ) ) ON [PRIMARY] CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[spUpdateSpread] @SecurityID int output as update Spread set SecurityID = SecurityID + 1 select @Secu...

rules question
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C58E9B.93495960 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'd like to make a rule similar to the one I have - move all emails from a certain SENDER to a specified FOLDER. I want to also make a rule to move to a specified folder, when an email is sent to a specific USER. I don't see how to do this in the canned rules? Has anyone got creative with this and made it work? I can get it to do a COPY, but not a move. Thanks!!! ------=_NextPart_000_0008_0...

Newbie question, can't get a handle on the handles <g> ... ?
How do we manipulate text that needs to flow to another box, i.e., when working in two columns and we need text to flow to a third, how do we do this? I'm sorry for such a simple question, but I've looked through the help and on the web and I think it's because I don't know what it's called. Anyhoo, pls advise! Tx. Whilst attempting to develop brick-based storage technology, Ed reads a message from Dylan56 <No@SpamAtAll.com> > How do we manipulate text that needs to flow to another box, i.e., > when working in two columns and we need text to flow to a third,...

scripting adding obj-users and mdb-use-defaults to exchange 5.5 users
I have successfully created a script for creating exchange 5.5 users. I can't however, figure out how to add the assoc-nt-account to the obj-users [pseudo attribute] or set MDB-Use-Defaults to True :-( Can anyone offer advice on how to do this [other than generate a CSV file and use the exchange admin tool to import it]? Thanks Wayne ...

SQL select statement question
My dataset has 3 columns: customer id, store location, charges I'd like to write a single select statment that will show each customer id once, with the store location where they have the most charges, and the sum of the charges for that store location. This gives the max charges for each customer, but doesn't give the location: select a.custID, max(new.amt) from smallchg a inner join; (select custID, location, sum(charges) as amt from smallchg group by custID, location) as new ; on a.custID= new.CustID group by a.CustID thanks. joel Try this -- SELECT TOP 1 ...

Adding time
I want to add time,like a sum. 12:00+12:00+12:00=36:00? I keep getting a basic time like 12:00. Could you please supply a formula. Thank you Hi In the cell with the formula, Format>Cells>Number>Custom [h]:mm Putting the [ ] brackets around h allows it to sum past 24 hours. Regards Roger Govier trucker wrote: > I want to add time,like a sum. > > 12:00+12:00+12:00=36:00? > > I keep getting a basic time like 12:00. Could you please supply a formula. > > Thank you > ...

Adding Fields and Tables to MSCRM
Is there a link or some reference on the ability to add fields to existing tables in the CRM database and/or adding complete tables to the CRM database?? I am asking this from the point of view relating to other existing CRM products (saleslogix, frontrange - shh). From what I have played with so far from playing with my SBS2k/MSCRM install is I my need to have a MS developer skillset. Robb, Using the schema manager in the deployment Manager MMC snap-in, you can add fields to the existing tables. However, there is no way to add new tables. Matt "Robb D" <robbd@eproductscons...

Shared Contacts Master Categories question
I need to have 50 users on Outlook/Exchange specify a number of contacts that need to be exported to another system. I had my Exchange admin give me shared access to each of the mailboxes in question. My plan was to go through each set of contacts, and add a new category to the master categories for each user. When I got the the second contact, the keyword identifier was already there! It looks like Outlook/Exchange is allowing me access to the correct contacts, but is using my master category list. How can I access and update each users category master list? Isn't this kept ...

Pivot Table and adding a % column, that is not in original data
Hi, Is it possible to add a column for % calculations when the % column is not in original data? To clarify, my original data is as follows: Produt Sales Returns Date A 5 June B 6 June A 1 July A 1 September B 1 November When I run the pivot table, one of the columns I'm then looking to get is a total % of returns over sales , but I cant see how to include in a Pivot table. I can add it outside of the table, but that has problems ...

Excel could not save all the data and formatting you recently added
Hi, One of our users sent me an Excel file of 6 MiB. It has 7 worksheets. Most of them have <100 rows and AH columns, one sheet has 13160 rows and AH columns. The large sheet has autofilter enabled, but no actual filtering is done. (yet) 4 columns have validation: they allow a list of values specified in a range somewhere else in the sheet. There is also conditional formatting. It takes >30 seconds to calculate the sheet, however there are no real calculations, just a few concatenated string. My first impression is that this is yet another example of Excel (ab)used as a database. The p...

Advanced Filters question
I sometimes use Msft Access to run a query, and then revise the query, or build off of the new query by creating a separate query of that query. However, in using excel, at least at first pass, I noticed that I was unable to pivot the data that resulted from an advanced filter, and I was unable to see the total amount for a given column, once an advanced filter was applied to a list (i.e., the sum that I saw was for the entire field and not for the records that were visible once I had applied the filter). Does anyone have any perspective they could share with me regarding this? Is there a wa...

Accessing all questions I have asked in the Office forums
Is there a way I can call up all questions and answers I have ever asked via my login to Microsoft Discussion groups? I sure appreciate your help, John In news:FB996750-8ACF-4806-BDF8-7E66057A0DBB@microsoft.com, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Is there a way I can call up all questions and answers I > have ever asked via my login to Microsoft Discussion groups? > > I sure appreciate your help, John Use Google; look up your own name; finesse from there if you get too many hits. HTH, Twayne` ...

Basic Money 2004 Budgeting Question
In MS Money 99 I was able to chart out several months worth of spending by budget category (auto, gasoline, groceries, etc.) By looking at this chart, I was able to compare by month my actual spending versus my budgeted amount for each category. In addition, the cumulative totals at the far right showed how much in the black or red I was in each category over the period of time that I specified (e.g., Sept 02 - July 03). I have been unable to find a chart that performs this function in MS Money 2004, which seems odd given that being able to track such information over a period of ...

Mail (outlook 2002), 'To' field, general question
Why do some names of some messages in the 'To' Field appear with single quotes in my Sent Box? I'm using Outlook 2002. I'm sure there's an easy explanation but it stumps me. ...

Publications Designer
I would like to design different publications with Microsoft Publisher and sell the publications. Can I legally do this? I would like to design business cards, logos, flyers, stationery, etc., and even offer adminstrative assistant services to potiential customers. Can I legally sell whatever publication I make using Microsoft Publisher 2003. I do have a liscensed copy of Microsoft Publisher 2003. Legal Information http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX100667421033.aspx?pid=CL100569831033 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.micros...

Adding a customer to multiple marketing lists
Is there a way to add a customer to multiple marketing lists at once? When I try this by going to Actions, Add to Marketing Lists, it only lets me select one row. You can add an account to one marketing list from the Actions Menu. You will need a plugin which will add an account to many marketing lists. SS "Tara C. Brown" wrote: > Is there a way to add a customer to multiple marketing lists at once? When I > try this by going to Actions, Add to Marketing Lists, it only lets me select > one row. What plugin is necessary to do this? "SS" wrote: > You...

Another Sum Question
I am using a rather large genomic data set in which I need to classif certain gene functions as one of three things. Each gene (row) ha several ID numbers associated with it. For instance one row could loo like "GO:0005524,GO:0000074,GO:0005730." I need excel to find a match and then add one to an adjacent column (basically tallying). Fo instance, if I search for "GO:0005524" I need excel to search the 100 rows containing this information, and then when it finds a row wit "GO:0005524" to add one to the adjacent column while staying within th same row. That i...