Problems installing PowerShell on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Hello!

I am trying to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Developer on Windows Server
2008 R2, and am having some trouble with the PowerShell aspect.  I had never
heard of PowerShell before today, and it's been quite an education.  ;-)

SQL Server 2008 installed somewhat successfully, but I got errors during the
PowerShell installation.

I didn't think much of it because the installation looked successful
otherwise, but when I try to install the SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1, it
fails, citing the invalid PowerShell installation (SQL_PowerShell_Engine_CNS
and SQL_PowerShell_Tools_ANS).  So, it seems that I need to figure out how
to install PowerShell in order to install SQL Server 2008 SP1.

Searching the 'Net, I found a suggestion to run the Repair feature of SQL
Server 2008 to fix the PowerShell errors.  No dice.  Another article
suggested installing PowerShell from the Windows Server 2008 Server Manager
Features wizard.  Interestingly, that failed too, with the following:

Windows PowerShell: Installation failed

<Error>: Attempt to install Windows PowerShell failed with error code
0x8000FFFF. Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF
(E_UNEXPECTED))

Each time it fails, it takes a really really long time.  :-(

I downloaded and ran the updates as provided by these links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968929  (Windows Management Framework
(Windows PowerShell 2.0, WinRM 2.0, and BITS 4.0))
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=863e7d01-fb1b-4d3e-b07d-766a0a2def0b&displaylang=en
(Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB968930))

and it seemed to install successfully -- but I'm *still* getting PowerShell
failures during the SS 2008 SP1 installation.

Any ideas would be most welcome.  Thanks in advance!

Very kind regards,

John Peterson

0
John

"John Peterson" <j0hnp@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Developer on Windows
> Server 2008 R2, and am having some trouble with the PowerShell aspect.  I
> had never heard of PowerShell before today, and it's been quite an
> education.  ;-)
>
> SQL Server 2008 installed somewhat successfully, but I got errors during
> the PowerShell installation.
>
> I didn't think much of it because the installation looked successful
> otherwise, but when I try to install the SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1,
> it fails, citing the invalid PowerShell installation
> (SQL_PowerShell_Engine_CNS and SQL_PowerShell_Tools_ANS).  So, it seems
> that I need to figure out how to install PowerShell in order to install
> SQL Server 2008 SP1.
>
> Searching the 'Net, I found a suggestion to run the Repair feature of SQL
> Server 2008 to fix the PowerShell errors.  No dice.  Another article
> suggested installing PowerShell from the Windows Server 2008 Server
> Manager Features wizard.  Interestingly, that failed too, with the
> following:
>

> Windows PowerShell: Installation failed
>
> <Error>: Attempt to install Windows PowerShell failed with error code
> 0x8000FFFF. Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF
> (E_UNEXPECTED))
>

> Each time it fails, it takes a really really long time.  :-(
>
> I downloaded and ran the updates as provided by these links:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968929  (Windows Management Framework
> (Windows PowerShell 2.0, WinRM 2.0, and BITS 4.0))
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=863e7d01-fb1b-4d3e-b07d-766a0a2def0b&displaylang=en
> (Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB968930))
>
> and it seemed to install successfully -- but I'm *still* getting
> PowerShell failures during the SS 2008 SP1 installation.
>
> Any ideas would be most welcome.  Thanks in advance!
>
> Very kind regards,
>
> John Peterson

Hmmm...maybe I've resolved this, after all?

After downloading and installing the Windows6.0-KB968930-x86.msu (from the
above URL), I tried to install PowerShell from the Features wizard again and
got the same error as before.  Thinking maybe there was a snafu with how I
installed Windows6.0-KB968930-x86.msu I tried to re-install it and it acted
as if it was already successfully installed.

So this time I tried the SQL Server 2008 Repair feature again -- and it
appeared to work with no errors!

Sure enough, now when I run the SQL Server 2008 SP1 it appears to be on it's
way to being successful.

Whew...what a ride today.  ;-)

0
John
4/22/2010 10:29:56 PM
> I am trying to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Developer on Windows
> Server 2008 R2, and am having some trouble with the PowerShell aspect.  I
> had never heard of PowerShell before today, and it's been quite an
> education.  ;-)

Windows Server 2008 R2 is bundled with Windows PowerShell version 2 as part
of its core OS.

I would have hoped trying to install any PowerShell packages would have
returned some other kind of error...

Marco

0
Marco

Installing Microsoft Publisher 2007 on multiple computers.
I purchased Publisher 2007 software in March and installed it on two computers. I now need it on a third but I have realized that it can only be installed twice. Can I delete it from one its currently on so that I can have it on another? If so, how does that work? Use the phone activation and explain. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "jen" <jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DF73600-9A52-46D2-9EF4-5665BE693CC8@microsoft.com... >I purchased Publisher 2007 software in March and installed it on two > computers. I now need it on a third but...

install ssis on windows server 2003
Hi there, I can't install SSIS service on my windows 2003 server. SSIS service won't show up in the SQL Server Configuration Manager's services list after i perform a full install from SQL Server 2005 SE installation CD on my server. During this install I've selected a choice for 'Integration Services'. I have Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2, standard x64 Edition SP2 installed on the server. I am able to run .dtsx package on the server from BIDS, but I can't run the same script from commandline using dtexec, because there is no SSIS service running. I get...

SQL Server 2008 and CRM 4.0
Quick question, Is CRM4.0 supported using SQL 2008 as the backend database? If not is there any plans to do so? Ignore this, I just found the new Implementation Guide which includes SQL Server 2008 support details. "Andy" wrote: > Quick question, > > Is CRM4.0 supported using SQL 2008 as the backend database? If not is there > any plans to do so? ...

Mails are send out after restart the server
Hello everyone, I have installed Exchange 2003 Enterprise, in the exisiting Exchange 2000 Ent. Organization. All went smoothly and I was able to move my mail box to new server, and I was able to log in. For test I send one message to internal user and did not received. So I rebooted the server and message went to that mail box. I tried again to send he message internal and then external. Again few hours I call both user (internal and externa) and did not received the mail. I restarted again the server and they receive. However I can receive emails from outside world and also fro...

Problems installing 2010 beta!
I downloaded the Office 2010 beta and when I go to install it on this XP Pro SP3 machine I get an error at the very beginning: "The language of this installation package is not supported by your system." I selected the English 32bit version and my XP (32bit) is also English!!! I was unable to find any spot on the beta MS page to ask this question! Any insights welcome! Regards and TIA. Mobius -------- Office 2010 Beta Forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010 "Mobius" <Mobius@do.not.respond> wrote in message news:...

I can't resolve Error number: 0x80070020 downloading windows updat
Hi! While downloading windows updates to my computer I keep getting Error number: 0x80070020. what can I do? <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375> February 24, 2010 You receive error 0x80070020 when you use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site to install updates <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883825> -=- Ǝиçεl ◕‿◕ -=- "AJ" wrote: > Hi! While downloading windows updates to my computer I keep getting Error > number: 0x80070020. what can I do? ...

MSDE installation problem 11-03-04
Is their a better solution to the problem that the MSDE cannot find the crm database. Typing in the name works until you log off. Reinstalling doesn't work in my case. Is it possible to change a setting or wathever to make it work Thanks in advance, Pieter Versteijnen ...

OWA2003 "Change Password" button problems?
The following link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823175 describes how to change the urlscan.ini file to allow things to pass through unaffected. However now that I've got the "Change Password" button to appear, I get a "file not found" error when I click on it. I've used their ..ini file with a few modifications (to loosen it for my environment). I think I understand that because I run Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2000, that I have to allow .htr files. I've done this but it still doesn't work. It says in one unqualified s...

Windows 7 puts a lock icon on new files.
I just installed a new hard drive and installed windows 7 64 bit on it. I copied the settings from the old hard drive to the new. Now when I down load a file it shows a lock icon on the file. When I take it to another location like the desktop the lock goes away. I also noticed when I right click on icons now I have a sharing selection that I did not in the past have. How do I get rid of this. I am the only user and I dont want to use homegroups or anything like that. -- ...

Date,Time Problem
HI!! We take the difference of two Date/Time Fields having Custom format and Values like this Start Date End Date Cycle Time 2/24/03 16:30 3/25/03 10:11 689:41:41 m/d/yy h:mm m/d/yy h:mm [h]:mm:ss Now I want this Time to be taken as absolute Number expressing it as Hours/Minutes, so that I can take such values for further analysis. But as such it is not possible because Excel always show �Cycle time� value (689:41:41) as �28/01/1900 17:41:41�, and does not yield to any arithmetic operations. H...

pop3 server
When i open outlook 2000 i get a setup wizard and it asks for a pop3 server and an outgoing stmp server. i don't know what those are. These details are supplied by yr ISP They are required if you have an ISP email account, as opposed to a web mail account David "newell" <newellbaxter@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:060901c35e4f$1c50f1c0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When i open outlook 2000 i get a setup wizard and it asks > for a pop3 server and an outgoing stmp server. i don't > know what those are. ...

Error during the Client installation "No Domain User"
During the install of the client i become the error that the user are running the setup is not a domain user. All settings of alle maschines here are the same, alle rights for the user on the SBS2003 are the same. Have any one a Idear? The user should be a member of the domain the Server was installed in. On the CRM Server or Domain Server box, run DSA.MSC and under the Users branch of the domain tree, verify the user is in the list. -- Arne Marquez Microsoft Dynamics CRM This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Lendrod" <L...

OWA File Attachments problem
I have just completed an Active Directory \ Exchange Server 2003 build. When my users try to use file attachments in OWA the file attachment window appears, but when once they try to browse for a file the window freezes or takes sometime to respond and then the Exchange Information Store service stops on the Exchange server. I have configured it to restart the service in 60 seconds, but the intermittent interruption in service is driving my users crazy. My users are heavy with file attachment usage. The Exchang server is running SP1 for MSE2K3. I am out of ideas. Any suggestions. Dar...

Runtime control creation and postback problem
hi, i m facing problem in postback... I m creating a textbox named as txtdefault. and some textboxes at runtime which persist their values on postback. I m using a btnAdd to add(append) a textbox. it works. on selectedindexchanged of dropdown i make numberofcontrols as 0. and then create them depending upon the database values number. now after this event, when i try to add a textbox, it creates problem, can u help me out, plz? i want simply to add the textbox in addition to already created textbox. here goes all of my code... public partial class CustomFields : System.Web...

Problem With WMP 11
I have WMP 11 and have a list of short video's that play with WMP. Some times when I finish watching one video and wish to click on another video in that list it does not play. I try another video and it does not play. The only way I can get the video's to play is to re-boot my PC. Is this a common problem with WMP or is it something that is in my PC? Is there a fix for it? Is this Windows XP or Vista? Do the videos play again after restarting WMP? Try updating your video card drivers to their latest version. Don't just check Windows Update, but the manuf...

Cannot Install Outlook Client
When I try to install the Outlook client for CRM, the installation tells me that Outlook is not installed. I have Outlook with Office SP2 installed. Everything should be fine. But that is where I am stuck. Any ideas? I and others are having the same problem... We have NOT received an answer yet, hoping MS gives us one... Ryan "Daniel Vaudrin @ pre2post.com" <DanielVaudrinpre2postcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C0D8943-E1D3-4C55-B9E0-0D2C424818BB@microsoft.com... > When I try to install the Outlook client for CRM, the installation tells >...

REPOST PLEASE HELP! Problems with images in email signatures
Our marketing dept. has requested that all employees use a html signature file that contains the company logo with a link to the website. However, lots of users are reporting that the image link shows up broken every once in a while and upon inspection I have noticed that outlook is changing the image link by adding outbind://35/ to the src attribute. The image link is an absolute URL that references a public web server so accessibility shouldn't be a problem. Anyone know a solution to this problem? Thanks Jason ...

Problem opening attachments
When I upgraded to XP I started having problems with attachments. When I open an Excel attachment in outlook, Excel opens up but the file doesn't open. I can only open it if I re-open Excel. I tried to re-register Excel but no luck. Any ideas? ...

New Exchange Server with User Accounts in Child Domain
Origianlly I had an NT4 domain with Exchange 5.5. In the past few months we have created a new 2003 domain and created new accounts for our users there. These domain accounts were given permissions to the old Exchange mailboxes. The New domain has a root domain with two child domains. I have installed Exchange 2003 in the root domain. I used ADC to create a connection between the two domain servers. I can see all of the accounts using the 2003 snap-in. But, I cannot move a mailbox from the old Exchange server to the user in the child domain. The option is not displayed in the Exchange ...

Error Msg: "Server Error in /Reports Application"
New install of CRM 3.0 on 2003 Server. SQL 2005 also on same box. browsing to "http://localhost/reports" shows error message noted in subject line. Title box is "Parser Error" and the content says 'Could not load type MicrosoftReportingServices.UI.GlobalApp' I tried logging in as local admin and domain admin - same error. Using Sql Server Management Studio - logging into "Database Engine" is OK, but receive following error when logging into "Report Services": "Unable to connect to remote server (System)" "No connection could b...

RE: Install the patch which came from the M$ Corporation
--obyzoowgtqhlzrfb Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="bgmnhnucbvis"; type="multipart/alternative" --bgmnhnucbvis Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="qprpmgnfexuvsg" --qprpmgnfexuvsg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now ...

More signature problems
Not using Word as the editor - I am placing text and a web site and email address in my signature. It appears correct in the message before I send it but it comes through as this when it is delivered ( at least in a message I send to myself ) I get a MAIL TO and a file name transferred with the signature. Any ideas ? I think you need to change your setting in the area right underneath th signature area. It may say, "mark all comments", uncheck that box. Now you're fine That is a stupid option in Outlook. ? does that match your problem? ~Les --------------------...

Error on CRM, SQL Server, SQL Reporting Services configuration doc
The file: "Additional Setup Tasks When Microsoft SQL Reporting Services Is Installed on a Separate Server from Microsoft CRM 3.0 or Microsoft SQL Server" contains an error that may result in confusion. On page 2-3, Configuration 2 (Figure 3) shows CRM and Reporting Services on a single server and SQL on a different server. Configuration 3 (Figure 4) shows Reporting Services on one server and CRM installed with SQL on the other server. On Page 4, the Configuration descriptions shown in the summary table are reversed. That is, Configuration 2 shows Server 1 with Reporting Ser...

recreate a window
a CComboBox and CQControl derived control shall recreate itself, if the styles given in resource not match the style required for toe control (here: CBS_OWNERDRAWFIXED must be set). As CComboBox is unable to correctly modify this style with ModifyStyle(), the recreation is called and works. ____________________________________________ //----------------------------------------------------------------------- // recreate the underlying hwnd to match required styles bool CQControl::QRecreateWindow(DWORD dwStyle, DWORD dwStyleEx) { CWnd* pWnd = CWnd::FromHandlePermanent(m_hwnd); ASSERT(pWnd != ...

Renewing SSL (Windows CA)
I am looking to request a renewal for our SSL certificate within the IIS Manager in relation to our Exchange2003/Outlook RPC client connections. The question I have is when I go thru the steps to renew the current certificate, will it void (at any time) the current certificate that our remote RPC clients are using? I am looking for this to be somewhat seemless and keep the attrition to a minimum. After we get this cert updated we'll be looking to into a signed cert from the likes of Verisign, etc... Until then though, we need to get it updated due it's expiring in the next f...