WLM transfer to another computer

Hi,

I finally moved from Windows 7 RTM to Win7 Pro 64.  I did it by installing
the new OS on a brand new hard drive, then installed my old hard drive in a
2.5" external enclosure.  I've been successful in moving most of my files and
settings over, but WLM is the exception.  Can someone help answer these
questions for me:

1. Where are the actual mail files stored?
2. Where is the account login info stored?
3. In Outlook and OE installing on a new computer, even after moving files,
prompted for a full redownload off of the POP server.  Anyway to avoid this?
Is there a registry key somewhere that keeps the last time checked?
4. If there is, how do I get into the registry without actually booting into
the drive that's not in the enclosure?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1) Default WLM Store folder location
Vista/Win7:    %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
XP:  %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
Live Mail
It might have been moved.  Look for *.EML files.

2) I'm not sure where the account information is stored.  There are
account{guid}.oeaccount files in the folders with the messages.  But I
don't know if you can just move those and make them of any use.

3/4) When you use the :Leave a copy of messages on the server option,
the UIDL of every message downloaded is stored.  In WLM I'm guessing
that's in the Mail.MSMessageStore file.  IF you don't want to download
the messages again from a POP3 server, the easiest way is to use the
mail services web interface and move the messages out of the Inbox.
With POP3 only the Inbox is ever downloaded.  This will also speed
checking for new messages in the future.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"ihdihd" <ihdihd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I finally moved from Windows 7 RTM to Win7 Pro 64.  I did it by
> installing
> the new OS on a brand new hard drive, then installed my old hard drive
> in a
> 2.5" external enclosure.  I've been successful in moving most of my
> files and
> settings over, but WLM is the exception.  Can someone help answer
> these
> questions for me:
>
> 1. Where are the actual mail files stored?
> 2. Where is the account login info stored?
> 3. In Outlook and OE installing on a new computer, even after moving
> files,
> prompted for a full redownload off of the POP server.  Anyway to avoid
> this?
> Is there a registry key somewhere that keeps the last time checked?
> 4. If there is, how do I get into the registry without actually
> booting into
> the drive that's not in the enclosure?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

0
Michael
3/15/2010 8:04:16 PM
1. If one has access to old Messages store on the other machine
Vista/Win7: <drive>:\Users\<windows logon name>\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
XP:  <drive>\Documents and Settings\<windows logon name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
 ..then use WLM's option to File/Import/Messages by browsing to the above location

2. If the accounts were not saved/exported to an *.iaf file on the prior o/s-hard drive and available for import on the
Win7Pro64Bit.set the accounts up manually

3. WLM(Windows Live Mail) by design will perform a one time download of all messages in all folders for a Hotmail type account(when
using Pop3 for Hotmail). Setting up a non Hotmail account using Pop3 on fresh Win7/WLM (e.g. Earthlink) only downloaded the
available messages(new or marked as left on the server by another email client configuration).
3b. The registry is only applicable to the current o/s.  Any registry settings would only be indicative of accounts existing on
Win7Pro64 unit.

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"ihdihd" <ihdihd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9EDE258-6282-43F6-8AA7-73F717D7B30C@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I finally moved from Windows 7 RTM to Win7 Pro 64.  I did it by installing
> the new OS on a brand new hard drive, then installed my old hard drive in a
> 2.5" external enclosure.  I've been successful in moving most of my files and
> settings over, but WLM is the exception.  Can someone help answer these
> questions for me:
>
> 1. Where are the actual mail files stored?
> 2. Where is the account login info stored?
> 3. In Outlook and OE installing on a new computer, even after moving files,
> prompted for a full redownload off of the POP server.  Anyway to avoid this?
> Is there a registry key somewhere that keeps the last time checked?
> 4. If there is, how do I get into the registry without actually booting into
> the drive that's not in the enclosure?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

0
winston
3/15/2010 9:14:33 PM
Thank you both.  For records sake, I was able to copy the entire contents of
the directly located in //Users/<Username>/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live Mail
and get the following items ported over:

1. All account info
2. All email folders and messages

Not transferred:

1. Folder views and settings
2. Account passwords

"...winston" wrote:

> 1. If one has access to old Messages store on the other machine
> Vista/Win7: <drive>:\Users\<windows logon name>\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
> XP:  <drive>\Documents and Settings\<windows logon name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
>  ..then use WLM's option to File/Import/Messages by browsing to the above location
>
> 2. If the accounts were not saved/exported to an *.iaf file on the prior o/s-hard drive and available for import on the
> Win7Pro64Bit.set the accounts up manually
>
> 3. WLM(Windows Live Mail) by design will perform a one time download of all messages in all folders for a Hotmail type account(when
> using Pop3 for Hotmail). Setting up a non Hotmail account using Pop3 on fresh Win7/WLM (e.g. Earthlink) only downloaded the
> available messages(new or marked as left on the server by another email client configuration).
> 3b. The registry is only applicable to the current o/s.  Any registry settings would only be indicative of accounts existing on
> Win7Pro64 unit.
>
> --
>   ...winston
>   ms-mvp mail
>
> "ihdihd" <ihdihd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9EDE258-6282-43F6-8AA7-73F717D7B30C@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I finally moved from Windows 7 RTM to Win7 Pro 64.  I did it by installing
> > the new OS on a brand new hard drive, then installed my old hard drive in a
> > 2.5" external enclosure.  I've been successful in moving most of my files and
> > settings over, but WLM is the exception.  Can someone help answer these
> > questions for me:
> >
> > 1. Where are the actual mail files stored?
> > 2. Where is the account login info stored?
> > 3. In Outlook and OE installing on a new computer, even after moving files,
> > prompted for a full redownload off of the POP server.  Anyway to avoid this?
> > Is there a registry key somewhere that keeps the last time checked?
> > 4. If there is, how do I get into the registry without actually booting into
> > the drive that's not in the enclosure?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> .

You're welcome.
 Fyi...to transfera an account and its settings(username/password)...export the file on the old machine WLM to an iaf file, then
import into WLM on the new machine.

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"ihdihd" <ihdihd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C297D54F-87A1-4D8B-8E8E-34C62BDFA421@microsoft.com...
> Thank you both.  For records sake, I was able to copy the entire contents of
> the directly located in //Users/<Username>/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live Mail
> and get the following items ported over:
>
> 1. All account info
> 2. All email folders and messages
>
> Not transferred:
>
> 1. Folder views and settings
> 2. Account passwords

0
winston

Numeric content in one cell ( implicit formula ) and the result in another one
Hi, I made some search before, but too much information at the same time. So I post this question: In cell D2 , I have the following content : 10002/(14971213 - 37375) /1000000) In cell E2, I would like to have the result value of data in cell D2 : 669,754 I would not work with "left...len... search... right.." as the format ( then formula ) in cell D2 may change. Is there a function giving the computed result of a cell and put the result in another one? Best regards Pierre In cell E2, will the formula "=D2" do it for you? Or is that too simplistic and I don'...

WLM crash
Still getting an occasional crash when starting WLM from the tray icon. The description is below but exception c0000005 is usually an invalid memory access (like trying to delete a pointer that's uninitialized etc.) Running Windows Vista Business with SP2. Any new ideas about this? This is from the popup: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BEX Application Name: wlmail.exe Application Version: 14.0.8117.416 Application Timestamp: 4bc9368e Fault Module Name: MSMAIL.DLL Fault Module Version: 14.0.8117.416 Fault Module Timestamp: 4bc9370c Exception Offset...

Another Access Question
Hi Everyone, Is it possible to place the front end (forms) of an Access Databse on a web page, so that users can log on via the net and enter data into the forms. I am guessing that the front end would have to stand alone but not sure ! Any advice would be great Thanks will07 <will07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to place the front end (forms) of an Access Databse on a web >page, so that users can log on via the net and enter data into the forms. I >am guessing that the front end would have to stand alone but not sure ! Can't be done using...

copying to another spreadsheet
I have a table in spreadsheet x of 10 columns and 1000 rows. Afte sorting by the entries in column a, I would like to copy row entrie with the same column a entry to a specific location in spreadsheet Y. E.g., the rows that have "oranges" in column a in spreadsheet x woul be copied to a specific location in spreadsheet Y, under a heading o "oranges". In the same vein, column a entries in spreadsheet x o "pears" would be copied to spreadsheet y under the heading of "pears". And so on. Is there any way to automate the copying of rows fro spreadsheet x ...

transferring outlook emails to another computer
HELLLLLLP!!! I need to transfer my outlook express files to another computer. When I hit "export" I get an error message. Is there a simple procedure to follow. Thanks! dh This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.in...

Yet another Lotus macro question
I have for the most part converted to Excel but have a simple macro that on the surface cannot be converted. The Lotus macro used a database, template and list of branch names. The macro itself started with the name of the first branch, copied it to the template, sucked in the data for that branch and then printed the report. Then it went down to next name on the list and repeated the process until it reached the bottom of the list. In Excel it seems to indicate I have to repeat the steps for each and every branch on the list and not loop back through a 8 line macro that refers to the ...

transfering data using Ole
I am using Excel 2000 to generate spreadsheets that I then "cut & paste" to a CAD program. When I use my desktop computer that has Excel 2000, a portion of larger spreadsheets truncates. I have found that if I use Excel 2003 (on my laptop), I can "cut & paste" the entire worksheet into my CAD program without a problem. I have heard that this also works with Excel 2002. Because Excel 2000 and Excel 2003 spreadsheets are fully compatible, this is clearly a function of how data is handled by the two versions of Excel or the Ole interface. Is there an update or a w...

Getting local Time and date for the local computer(vista OS)
Hi I am working with Vista(one of a kind), and have a MFC application and would like to add small code that will get current time and date from the local compuetr. i meet an example in MSDN : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa390423(VS.85).aspx but it looks too long for what i am looking, is there a 1 function API that returns the Date and the time ? thanks for your time Zack >Hi I am working with Vista(one of a kind), >and have a MFC application and would like to add small code that will get >current time and date from the local compuetr. >i meet an example in MSDN...

Can I transfer email from Outlook to an iMac?
So I just bought a new iMac G5 and I'm having a trouble finding a solution to exporting my Outlook email to my Mac. I've spoken to online and phone support at Apple and they weren't very helpful. Phone support said I should purchase MS Office 2004 for the MAC and then I'd be able to transfer my email and addresses. Is that true? Does anyone have any advice or a solution? Help.... What program are you using for e-mail on the iMac? Apple Mail? Outlook2Mac claims to be able to help in this regard. <http://www.littlemachines.com/> If you purchase Office 2004, you'll g...

Moving CRM from one server to another error at step 5
I've only got one server on the network. I wanted to reinstall it from scratch as when CRM was installed Exchange had not been and is coming up with a corrupt metabase if I try to install. The server has 2 disks mirrored, so I've broken the mirror and now have the old installation on one disk and a brand new install on the other. The machine name, domain name etc are identical. I've gone through the redeployment guide, but on step 5 the process bombs with a series of errors: 06/14/2005 15:39:44 Backup BusinessUnitBase table. 06/14/2005 15:39:45 Could not use view or function...

How can I transfer emails in a Mailbox folder to a USB device?
I have a large number of emails saved in a folder in my Mail box. Some of the emails have files attached, and some do not. I want to save all the emails (including the attachments) to a USB device. You cannot, assuming you are referring to Outlook you can only copy the data file in its entirety, which can then only be accessed within Outlook. You could save the emails as eml files and save the attachments seperately "Harrinton" <Harrinton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F90EC062-4359-42E9-96FD-F88EA6536F09@microsoft.com... > I have a large numb...

Excel macro for copying range to another worksheet
On a monthly basis, I would like to copy the completed range (varies from month to month) of a database (Sheet1) to a master list (Sheet3). Once the data has been copied I intend to manually delete the entries of Sheet1 and start anew for the new month =96 for eventual transfer to Sheet3. The idea is to copy each month=92s data at the bottom of the previous months=92 (Sheet3). I followed Excel=92s record macro command but the macro I ended up with is not capable of placing the new data at the bottom of the existing one; it simply keeps overwriting the previous entry. Unfortunately, I don=92t...

Delayed transfer between accounts
I've been a user of Money for about 4 years and have never tried using it for tracking investments, tax planning, etc... until now. I specifically have two quesitions: 1. I have a money market savings account at a different bank and frequently transfer to and from this account. The only problem is that it takes about 3 days to transfer for one account to the other. For example a transfer from my checking account will post on the third. It won't show up in the savings account until the sixth or seventh. To date, I've been using a "Special" transfer from one a...

Here's another good one... (Money 2005)
Money's Online Services for my Credit Union have downloaded my auto loan as a credit card. I can't change the account type and I can't merge it with another account. Does anyone know how to link the online services with my "REAL" loan account? || Aaron ...

how do I recognize that my window is overlapped by another window
Hi How to recognize that my application window is overlapped by another application window. Thanks Anup Hi Dont know if this is the soln but try using the WINDOWINFO structure in GetWindowInfo() function. also try GetTopWindow() which returns the handle to top window and compare with the handle to your window. Thanks Sachin anup.kataria@gmail.com wrote: > Hi > How to recognize that my application window is overlapped by another > application window. > > Thanks > Anup ...

Hashes appear in cell when copying from another
Hi, I have imported some .txt data into a Excel 2003 spreadsheet. In some instances, I have had to copy the data from one cell below another such that the text makes sense. However, in some instances when I do so, the cell that is being copied to gets filled completely with the hash symbol (#). Initially, I thought that the problem was only due to cell column width but when I expand the width the problem still persists. Doe anyone have any ideas? Instead of copying part of the data to the cell below, try to wrap the txt in one cell. Select the cells, Press Ctrl + 1 Select tab &q...

Linking items GREATER THAN O on another worksheet in the same Work
I have a workbook that has about four worksheets … I want to create a list of items that will automatically be included on worksheet tab 4 from Worksheet tab 1 if the quantity for the item listed on the first worksheet has been changed from 0 to any other number (i.e. 1 or 10 etc). I have a list of equipment with pricing on worksheet tab 1 and the list is long. Many of the items will have quantities of zero and will not increase as they will not be selected for the project being created. We have additional columns for cost, extended cost, labor hours etc. If the quantity changes for a...

Mouse cursor freezes up semi-permanently with whole computer
Just got my first Vista computer and dont know where to turn for assistance with this problem: Tried googling it and all I can find are people whose mouse freezes for a few seconds but which starts working again. Every few hours (or more often), my mouse cursor and whole computer freezes. The only way out is to control-escape into a switch user and then (as there are no alternative users) log in again. As soon as it logs out, the mouse starts working again. So this doesnt seem to be a hardware issue? The only other symptom I have noticed is that occasionally at all sorts of odd tim...

I need your help in transferring XP SP2 unto Flash USB Drive
I have an updated desktop that has Windows 7. I still have my Windows XP SP2 CD. I also inherited an HP netbook that had XP SP2 and wanted to know if it is possible to take my Windows XP SP2 CD and place it into desktop without it trying to reformat it and then to just copy it unto a Flash USB Drive. From there, I can then reinstall Windows XP SP2 unto netbook. Can that be done? Why don't you just use the hidden Recovery partition (not to be confused with System Restore) to reinstall WinXP on the netbook? Speaking of which, why do you need to reinstall WinXP on t...

Transfer to PO error
An interesting Error poped up when attempting to transfer a requisition to PO on our Business Portal 3.0 site. It states... Query error. Microsoft.BusinessFramework.Data.GeneralDatabaseException Line 1:Incorrect syntax near 'T0'. I have checked the event log and have found nothing out of the ordinary. Any ideas would help. Nathan, try the following: To resolve this problem, run the iisreset command to reset Internet Information Services (IIS). To do this, follow these steps: 1. Make sure that you have a complete backup copy of the database. You can use this backup copy to res...

Save Query Results as table to another Access Database
I have an access database that users use to pull reports (stored procs in sql server) and it paste the data on 4 sheets in excel. Occasionally the reports are too big for excel. I'd like to develop a similar database that saves the results of the 4 stored procs as tables in a new Access database. right now I have it returning the results as a query. How do I save the results in another database? Thanks, -- Billy Rogers Dallas,TX Currently Using SQL Server 2000, Office 2000 and Office 2003 Hi Billy The following SQL statement should do it for you: SELECT * INTO [TableName] I...

Payroll deduction based on percentage of another deduction
Is it possible to set up a payroll deduction based on percentage of another deduction? I see we can base a deduction on selected paycodes but not deductions. We can collect a percentage of wage attachments as collection fees but if the wage attachment deduction amount changes each pay, we'd have to manually change to collection fee code each pay. I'm looking for a way to calculate this collection fee automatically. ...

Underscore in Computer name
Hi, hope somebody can help. It looks like some companies are logging email from my company as SPAM. I think it is because the email message look like they have malformed header information due to the fact that my exchange server has a computer name with an underscore in it... I changed the DNS hostname in network settings to reflect a dash instead of an underscore, but the exchange server still appends the underscored name in the message header in the received by section...which causes a bunch of garbage in the header... What are my options, outside of changing my computer name and...

Turning a row color to "yellow" if one date field is greater than another.
I would like to automatically turn a row color to yellow if the current date is greater than a "needed by" date column. What is the best way to do this? Hi Select the rows necessary and then go to Format/Conditional Formatting. If your 'needed by' date is in column D use 'Formula Is' and then in the box type: =$D1=today() Hope this helps. Andy. "Ray Stevens" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message news:umTvfnURGHA.4976@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I would like to automatically turn a row color to yellow if the current >date is greater than a &q...

Copying Outlook data between computers
I wish to copy all my Outlook data (contacts, calendar, tasks, email folders) from my office computer to my laptop, how do I go about this please? TIA. http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm Outlook & Exchange/Windows Messaging Backup and Dual-Boot http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm Synchronizing Outlook on two machines Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!" KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC NBC-IN Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com "Gren" <an...