WLM Junk Mail Filtering by Subject Line content

In the old web based HOTMAIL, we could filter junk mail by examining Subject
Line content (all, start or portion). I like the WLM both desktop and
webbased versions, but I am unable to filter my junk mail by examing subject
line content.

Does this option still exist, if so how do I get to it?

Doug

WLM is only a desktop version.

Windows Live Hotmail(WLHm) is the web UI for Hotmail type accounts(Hotmail.com, Live.com, Msn.com)

A Junk Mail setting to filter by subject is not an option in WLM or WLHm.

One does have the option to Safe List by email address in either.

One does have the option in the web UI(WLHm) to sort Inbox messages to a folder.  If the Hotmail account is using the http protocol
in WLM, then the folder and message will be available locally after download/sync in WLM.

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4422C97B-2983-4995-BBB2-09AD1F622388@microsoft.com...
> In the old web based HOTMAIL, we could filter junk mail by examining Subject
> Line content (all, start or portion). I like the WLM both desktop and
> webbased versions, but I am unable to filter my junk mail by examing subject
> line content.
>
> Does this option still exist, if so how do I get to it?
>
> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
> --
> Doug

0
winston
12/17/2009 7:13:59 PM
There is no web based version of Windows Live Mail (WLM).  WLM is a PC
based only program.  It can access a web based Hotmail account as well
as POP3 and IMAP.  But the features in WLM are unrelated to the web
based service.

In WLM you can filter on subject by using message rules - Tools (ALT+T),
Messages Rules, Mail.  But message rules only work with POP3 accounts.
For IMAP or Hotmail accounts any filtering must be done on the server.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the old web based HOTMAIL, we could filter junk mail by examining
> Subject
> Line content (all, start or portion). I like the WLM both desktop and
> webbased versions, but I am unable to filter my junk mail by examing
> subject
> line content.
>
> Does this option still exist, if so how do I get to it?
>
> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
> --
> Doug

0
Michael
12/17/2009 7:36:16 PM
You would have to set up your Hotmail account as a POP type in
Windows Live Mail in order to enable filtering via custom rules.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
> In the old web based HOTMAIL, we could filter junk mail by examining =
Subject=20
> Line content (all, start or portion). I like the WLM both desktop and=20
> webbased versions, but I am unable to filter my junk mail by examing =
subject=20
> line content.  =20
>=20
> Does this option still exist, if so how do I get to it?  =20
>=20
> Thank you in advance for your assistance.=20
> --=20
> Doug
0
Gary
12/17/2009 10:46:59 PM
I don’t know about the Junk Mail settings, but you can filter on Subject.

mail.live.com  Login to your Hotmail account.  Options, More Options,
Automatically sort messages to folders, New filter, Subject contains
...........  Move to Junk
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP-Mail

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> WLM is only a desktop version.
>
> Windows Live Hotmail(WLHm) is the web UI for Hotmail type
> accounts(Hotmail.com, Live.com, Msn.com)
>
> A Junk Mail setting to filter by subject is not an option in WLM or WLHm.
>
> One does have the option to Safe List by email address in either.
>
> One does have the option in the web UI(WLHm) to sort Inbox messages to a
> folder.  If the Hotmail account is using the http protocol in WLM, then
> the folder and message will be available locally after download/sync in
> WLM.
>
> --
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>
> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> In the old web based HOTMAIL, we could filter junk mail by examining
>> Subject
>> Line content (all, start or portion). I like the WLM both desktop and
>> webbased versions, but I am unable to filter my junk mail by examing
>> subject
>> line content.
>>
>> Does this option still exist, if so how do I get to it?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>> --
>> Doug

0
Ron
12/17/2009 11:41:30 PM
<qp>
One does have the option in the web UI(WLHm) to sort Inbox messages to a *folder*.  If the Hotmail account is using the http
protocol
in WLM, then the folder and message will be available locally after download/sync in WLM.
</qp>

Folder = Inbox, Junk, previously created user folder, or new folder created during filter configuration

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message news:OJdd4J3fKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I don’t know about the Junk Mail settings, but you can filter on Subject.
>
> mail.live.com  Login to your Hotmail account.  Options, More Options, Automatically sort messages to folders, New filter, Subject
> contains ..........  Move to Junk
> --
> Ron Sommer
> MS MVP-Mail
>
> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message news:#igz980fKHA.1112@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> WLM is only a desktop version.
>>
>> Windows Live Hotmail(WLHm) is the web UI for Hotmail type accounts(Hotmail.com, Live.com, Msn.com)
>>
>> A Junk Mail setting to filter by subject is not an option in WLM or WLHm.
>>
>> One does have the option to Safe List by email address in either.
>>
>> One does have the option in the web UI(WLHm) to sort Inbox messages to a folder.  If the Hotmail account is using the http
>> protocol in WLM, then the folder and message will be available locally after download/sync in WLM.
>>
>> --
>>  ...winston
>>  ms-mvp mail
>>
>> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4422C97B-2983-4995-BBB2-09AD1F622388@microsoft.com...
>>> In the old web based HOTMAIL, we could filter junk mail by examining Subject
>>> Line content (all, start or portion). I like the WLM both desktop and
>>> webbased versions, but I am unable to filter my junk mail by examing subject
>>> line content.
>>>
>>> Does this option still exist, if so how do I get to it?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>>> --
>>> Doug

0
winston

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

Outlook Send/Receive mail SLOW

shortcut with command line switch probs
Hello, I have a shortcut set up which has the target declared as: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" / "\\path_to_file\myfile.xlt" This works fine on my PC. Excel 2000 running on Windows XP. Unfortunately it doesnt work on someone elses PC, who asked for m help! They have the same software set up, and access to the same folde path. When they try to run the shortcut, a window opens and closes almos immediately. Help?! : -- soloto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- solotoo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/m...

Filters in Excel 2003

Setting up a new e-mail account

Replying to an Outlook e-mail

Phone Number Filtering

Spam Filtering HELP
I recently started a new job, and discovered after day one, that I had inharited a spam mess. Now the previous admin ad installed a Symantic Spam Server Prox which in my opinion, was a complete waste of money as it does not allow for blocking IP addresses. Now here is the question; I am running Exchange 2003, and am looking at setting up the Conection Filter under Message Delivery to block messages based on IP address. The problem is that when I save the IPs to be blocked, I get a message stating that the Connection filter "has to be enabled manually through the specific SMTP virtual serv...

Duplicate E-Mail #4

Odd e-mail duplication problem

WLM transfer to another computer
Hi, I finally moved from Windows 7 RTM to Win7 Pro 64. I did it by installing the new OS on a brand new hard drive, then installed my old hard drive in a 2.5" external enclosure. I've been successful in moving most of my files and settings over, but WLM is the exception. Can someone help answer these questions for me: 1. Where are the actual mail files stored? 2. Where is the account login info stored? 3. In Outlook and OE installing on a new computer, even after moving files, prompted for a full redownload off of the POP server. Anyway to avoid this? Is ther...

ACC: How to Display Line Numbers on Subform Records
I found this article on MS' website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q120913/ but ran into problems when I pasted the code and tried to compile it. It gives a Compile Error: Method or data member not found when it reached the line below: RS.FindFirst "[" & KeyName & "] = " & KeyValue and it highlights "FindFirst". I have a sub-form (child) of a parent form's and I have a variable in the child that the user currently manually increments from 1,2,3 and so forth. Can this not be done w/o the user's intervention? Hi, ...

difference between 2 lines in a scatter chart
I have created a scatter chart with two lines. The x axis is divided up into 10 parts and labeled 10, 20, 30, 40, etc. What I want to do is calculate the distance between the two lines between the x values of 40 and 60. Does anyone know how to to that? Thank you in advance. -- prd02003 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ prd02003's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25762 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391727 How did you generate the lines? Are they from the data directly...

proper casing mail merge
Hi All, I have a mail merge document where all the information is in ALL CAPS. Is there a quick way to turn into Proper casing? Thanks, rodchar Select the whole text, Format, Change Case, you will now have various options to choose from. Also, note that Shft+F3 toggles between no caps, Initial caps, and all caps. -- Hope this helps DeanH "rodchar" wrote: > Hi All, > > I have a mail merge document where all the information is in ALL CAPS. Is > there a quick way to turn into Proper casing? > > Thanks, > rodchar thanks, that help...

OWA user can only see subject
Hello friends, OWA users are unable to see their mail. Only Subject field is visible, without mail contents(No message is visible). Our outlook is working fine. Any ideas why this is happening and how we can solve this. Regards Guri ...