WLM contacts wont import from .WAB

I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many problems.
Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then moved it to my 2008
R2 server for import. The problem is when I import the 997 contacts, they
show up in the immediate session however when I close and reopen WLM the
imported contacts are no longer there.

anyone have any ideas?

Leon

0
Leon

I found that removing all punctuation marks (comma's, periods ...) from
the contact's street address field cured this exact problem

"Leon McCalla" <leonmccalla@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many
> problems. Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then
> moved it to my 2008 R2 server for import. The problem is when I import
> the 997 contacts, they show up in the immediate session however when I
> close and reopen WLM the imported contacts are no longer there.
>
> anyone have any ideas?
>
> Leon

0
Ken
7/14/2010 2:50:03 PM
Which version of WLMail are you using? Help > About...

There was a bug in versions before the current one that caused this
behaviour on some systems.
--
Noel

"Leon McCalla" wrote:

> I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many problems.
> Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then moved it to my 2008
> R2 server for import. The problem is when I import the 997 contacts, they
> show up in the immediate session however when I close and reopen WLM the
> imported contacts are no longer there.
>
> anyone have any ideas?
>
> Leon

I'm using version 14.0.8089.0726 and the bug is still here

Leon

"Ildhund" <jnllb@removemsn.com> wrote in message
> Which version of WLMail are you using? Help > About...
>
> There was a bug in versions before the current one that caused this
> behaviour on some systems.
> --
> Noel
>

> "Leon McCalla" wrote:
>
>> I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many
>> problems.
>> Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then moved it to my
>> 2008
>> R2 server for import. The problem is when I import the 997 contacts, they
>> show up in the immediate session however when I close and reopen WLM the
>> imported contacts are no longer there.
>>
>> anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> Leon

0
Leon
7/21/2010 6:42:01 AM
how do I scan 900+ contacts for special characters?

Leon

"Ken" <KM@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> I found that removing all punctuation marks (comma's, periods ...) from
> the contact's street address field cured this exact problem
>
> "Leon McCalla" <leonmccalla@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many
>> problems. Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then moved
>> it to my 2008 R2 server for import. The problem is when I import the 997
>> contacts, they show up in the immediate session however when I close and
>> reopen WLM the imported contacts are no longer there.
>>
>> anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> Leon

0
Leon
7/21/2010 6:43:46 AM
Open OE, open the address book and review each item.

You may be able to export the address book to a csv file in OE, then =
load(open) that CSV file in Excel.
- viewing a csv file in Excel shows each contact entry on a single row.  =
If extra comma's or other characters are present in the=20
exported data, Excel may show blank or partial lines by fragmenting a =
given record across multiple rows indicating a problem with=20
that contacts data.

Unfortunately, there is no magic solution to diagnose a problem with =
special or extra characters in an OE address book.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Leon McCalla"  wrote in message =

how do I scan 900+ contacts for special characters?

Leon

"Ken" <KM@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> I found that removing all punctuation marks (comma's, periods ...) =
from
> the contact's street address field cured this exact problem
>
> "Leon McCalla" <leonmccalla@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many
>> problems. Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then =
moved
>> it to my 2008 R2 server for import. The problem is when I import the =
997
>> contacts, they show up in the immediate session however when I close =
and
>> reopen WLM the imported contacts are no longer there.
>>
>> anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> Leon
>=20

0
winston
7/21/2010 7:24:53 AM
Assuming Vista here.... Have you tried importing WAB into Windows Contacts
(not WLM's contacts). Perhaps it would be more forgiving. If so you could
export to a CSV that WLM might accept.

.... just wonderin' as it is easy to try....

> I'm using version 14.0.8089.0726 and the bug is still here
>
> Leon
>
> "Ildhund" <jnllb@removemsn.com> wrote in message
>> Which version of WLMail are you using? Help > About...
>>
>> There was a bug in versions before the current one that caused this
>> behaviour on some systems.
>> --
>> Noel
>>

>> "Leon McCalla" wrote:
>>
>>> I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many
>>> problems.
>>> Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then moved it to my
>>> 2008
>>> R2 server for import. The problem is when I import the 997 contacts,
>>> they
>>> show up in the immediate session however when I close and reopen WLM the
>>> imported contacts are no longer there.
>>>
>>> anyone have any ideas?
>>>
>>> Leon

0
Magnus
7/21/2010 12:41:03 PM
That's actually a good recommendation to try and import into Windows =
Contacts, then later into WLM.

Not sure if its any more forgiving, but it does provide another option =
to view contacts(if fully or partially succesful) in a=20
Windows Explorer environment looking for potential causes(quantity, =
missing contacts, missing data etc).

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Magnus"  wrote in message news:eRCZAINKLHA.5700@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

Assuming Vista here.... Have you tried importing WAB into Windows =
Contacts
(not WLM's contacts). Perhaps it would be more forgiving. If so you =
could
export to a CSV that WLM might accept.

.... just wonderin' as it is easy to try....

"Leon McCalla" <leonmccalla@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm using version 14.0.8089.0726 and the bug is still here
>
> Leon
>
> "Ildhund" <jnllb@removemsn.com> wrote in message
>> Which version of WLMail are you using? Help > About...
>>
>> There was a bug in versions before the current one that caused this
>> behaviour on some systems.
>> --=20
>> Noel
>>

>> "Leon McCalla" wrote:
>>
>>> I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many
>>> problems.
>>> Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then moved it to =
my
>>> 2008
>>> R2 server for import. The problem is when I import the 997 contacts,
>>> they
>>> show up in the immediate session however when I close and reopen WLM =
the
>>> imported contacts are no longer there.
>>>
>>> anyone have any ideas?
>>>
>>> Leon

0
winston
7/21/2010 10:18:07 PM
Sorry for the delay. I've only just got NNTP service back after a long abstinence.

OK, your version is probably still buggy, for reasons known only to those who distribute updates. The correction came in September 2009, but was not applied to WLMail. Downloading and installing the current version (14.0.8117.0416) will squash the bug. Your contacts, accounts and messages shouldn't be affected, but
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!174.entry
--
Noel

"Leon McCalla" <leonmccalla@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:61765409-663D-4D73-B81C-24197E95B458@microsoft.com...
> I'm using version 14.0.8089.0726 and the bug is still here

> "Ildhund" <jnllb@removemsn.com> wrote in message news:EB7D2FF0-474C-4DDD-A8EB-7D6FC78B2C85@microsoft.com...
>> Which version of WLMail are you using? Help > About...
>>
>> There was a bug in versions before the current one that caused this behaviour on some systems.

>> "Leon McCalla" wrote:
>>
>>> I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many
>>> problems.
>>> Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then moved it to my
>>> 2008
>>> R2 server for import. The problem is when I import the 997 contacts, they
>>> show up in the immediate session however when I close and reopen WLM the
>>> imported contacts are no longer there.
>>>
>>> anyone have any ideas?
>>>
>>> Leon

0
Ildhund
7/24/2010 11:00:02 PM
Fyi....if Version 2009: 14.0.8117.0416 doesn't resolve the issue, then =
close WLM

Cut and pasted and snipped from an earlier post for applicability
<qp>
3. Download contacts.msi and crt.msi file from Jonathan Kay's site (link =
below; save to desktop or full permission folder, eg.=20
Documents)
    =
http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E3785B1281BBDA1!9480.entry
Look under Secondary Components
Here are the direct download links from that site
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/w3qfe3/contacts.asp
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/w3rc/msvcrt.asp
4. Close WLM and all other apps, also temp disable AV program
5. Install the msi files

Open WLM, click Contacts, File/Import/ Choose the option to import the =
wab file

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Ildhund"  wrote in message =

Sorry for the delay. I've only just got NNTP service back after a long =
abstinence.

OK, your version is probably still buggy, for reasons known only to =
those who distribute updates. The correction came in September=20
2009, but was not applied to WLMail. Downloading and installing the =
current version (14.0.8117.0416) will squash the bug. Your=20
contacts, accounts and messages shouldn't be affected, but
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!174.entry
--=20
Noel

"Leon McCalla" <leonmccalla@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message =
> I'm using version 14.0.8089.0726 and the bug is still here

> "Ildhund" <jnllb@removemsn.com> wrote in message =
>> Which version of WLMail are you using? Help > About...
>>
>> There was a bug in versions before the current one that caused this =
behaviour on some systems.

>> "Leon McCalla" wrote:
>>
>>> I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many
>>> problems.
>>> Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then moved it to =
my
>>> 2008
>>> R2 server for import. The problem is when I import the 997 contacts, =
they
>>> show up in the immediate session however when I close and reopen WLM =
the
>>> imported contacts are no longer there.
>>>
>>> anyone have any ideas?
>>>
>>> Leon

0
winston

MS CRM 4
Hi, We're using MS CRM 4.0. When we try to import customizations for a custom entity we keep getting the following error "Either the file could not be uploaded or import failed". It also says "The requested record was not found or you do not have sufficient permissions to view it." We have already spent many hours trying to solve this, but without any success. Please help !!! Hi, This error typically comes when format of customization file is not proper. Can you please provide me more details. Please tell the details about system from which you have exporte...

I want to set up a repeating contact for an appointment.
I want to have a specific contact automatically be added to my "Meeting"/Appointment list without having to type it out every time. ...

Setting the default contact list for Outlook 2007
When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact list, by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to make my Contact List the default? "brenda" <brenda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FED962FD-27E7-42BA-B0CE-FEA9256DDEC4@microsoft.com... > When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact > list, > by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to > make my Contact List the default? When that Address Book window opens, click Tool...

Sending an Email(not template) in Workflow to a Contact

export/import stock price from/to Money
I used Money 2003 in Taiwan (not USA). The stock is not USA stock, so I don't use the on-line update stock price. Is there any method to export/import my stock price. Even write a program to do that, it's OK for me. Thanks. ...

import data from Oracle database into Excel using vba
Has anyone an example of importing data from an Oracle database into Excel using VBA? ...

Importing CSV
Hi All, I have to import CSV files into excel. A regular issue with this is that often the CSV files will contain data (in this case account codes) that excel interprets as dates (such as '3-8000' being converted to 1 Mar 8000). Nothing unusual so far, in that we handle that issue by importing manually (External Data - Text import), and specifying that the field in question is imported as TEXT not GENERAL. However, I have a file that, when I double click on it, it opens up perfectly (except with dates where it should be text as outlined above), but if I manually import that f...

Contact relationship field should be longer than 10 characters
Forces clients to use slang-style truncations like grandpa instead of grandfather and Sis-in-law instead of sister in law. Workaround shown in tech knowledge article 867415 requires too much complex programming for a simple change in program functionality. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click &qu...

Importing Outlook Contact Note attachments? Is it possible?
Currently my company has a CRM set up using just Outlook. We are in the process of implementing MSCRM. As we are doing this one of the largest problems we have come across is getting all of the ntoes stored in a contacts note box imported to the CRM. Exporting the data out of Outlook seems to get some of the written notes in a distorted fashion. This distortion is probably due to the mail file links that are seperating each note in the box. Is it possible to export these notes in an organized manner and retain the links to the mail? This is a large part of our current CRM that NEEDS to ...

How to change saving directory for my contact list?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change saving directory for my contact list? I am using XP with SP3 and Outlook Express, my system is installed on C drive, whenever I retore my system on C drive, my contact list is gone, is there any approach to relocate my contact list into D drive, so I still can keep my contact list after my system is restored. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric > ...is there any approach to relocate my contact list into D drive Only if you move your entire message store to the D drive (which better not...

duplicate deposits when importing bank xactions into Money
has anyone else experienced this? when i DL my xactions from the bank, Money takes my deposit and not only duplicates it, but also back dates the duplicate about 2 months, making it difficult to detect. anyone? anyone? thanks. Robin *who really doesn't think she's going crazy* In microsoft.public.money, Robin wrote: > >has anyone else experienced this? > >when i DL my xactions from the bank, Money takes my >deposit and not only duplicates it, but also back dates >the duplicate about 2 months, making it difficult to >detect. > >anyone? anyone...

Importing a DLL: calling function error.
I'm importing a DLL and when I call its function "vDecode" I get an error message (see below). I think that the reason is that the function prototype I have is wrong (the DLL documentation -below- could be wrong, old, obsolete). BUT maybe I'm not importing the DLL right (I have not much experience importing DLLs) I reproduce the code below (simplified). Am I forgetting to do something to make this function work? Thanks a lot! Ricardo. ---------------------------------------------------------------- THE ERROR ========= Debug Error! Program: ... PROYECTOS\_TESTS\Coder\Debu...

can't import pst file
get error message "File access is denied. You do not have permission to access the file C:\Data\Mike\Contacts\MP Outlook backup file.pst." Any worked with this before? Thanks. mike <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > get error message "File access is denied. You do not have > permission to access the file C:\Data\Mike\Contacts\MP > Outlook backup file.pst." What happens when you 1) make sure that file is not read-only and 2) use Outlook's File>Open command to open it? (Never import an existing PST file.) Okay, how do I make sure th...

Outlook or Exchange removes contacts from Address book
Good Morning, I am having on ongoing issue with my contacts in outlook. Essentially what has happened is I have created folders with many vendors in my outlook contacts. I will then create a new mail message and choose what vendor I want from my address book. Every once in a blue moon my address book will not show an accurate listing of my vendors, almost like a caching issue and keeps them from showing up. I end up having to recreate new folders and copying the vendors individually. When I create a new folder and copy or create a vendor it seems to resolve the issue, because when I g...

can't import all messages from OE to Outlook
I have been trying to import an my messages from OE to Outlook 2003 everything works fine except not all messages transfer. I get the older ones from 7/2005 and later but the newer ones don't. I made a new file that had old emails and broke up the inbox and then it transfered. Any thoughts? If you import the modified date is changed to import date, which may impact on the 'View' in OL. You should have exported, OE > OL "rizzo66" <rizzo66@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B15EB6C-91E4-468D-A720-6D588C59EA47@microsoft.com... > I have been t...

Outlook wont connect to Exchange Server, but web Outlook works fin
I just setup a new windows 2003 server running exchange 2003. We have a windows 2000 server running as the only domain controller. When i try to configure outlook, it wont connect to the mailbox on the exchange server. It says action could not be completed, the name could not be resolved. However if i open up the web outlook it does connect fine. Could this be a license issue?? The windows 2000 Domain controller is configured with 50 license (per server) mode. The windows 2003 and exchange 2003 are both configured with 50 user (per server mode) as well. Thanks, Greg Is you imap servi...

problem with contact folder from windows 7
I am with the following problem When I try to send an email from a contact in the Contacts folder windows 7 64 bit says it's necessary configure office outlook as default email client but the strange thing is that I have this program already configured Outlook 2007 to do so and in fact is the single e-mail client installed on my computer any ideas for a possible solution??? State more precisely the steps that produce this message. State what you specified as your default email client for your OS. State how you configured your mail transports and address book service in ...

Import using schema.ini file
Related to my earlier post about importing tab-delimited data to a .adp (Access project), I found a reference which asserts that you can't use import specifications with a .adp (as I found) but must use a schema.ini file. I've only found sketchy details of this file's spec, but when I've tried it, there's no evidence that the Import wizard is using it. I have put the schema.ini in the same folder as the text file to be imported and the contents are as follows: [mytextfile.txt] ColNameHeader = False CharacterSet = ANSI Format = TabDelimited Col1=MyCol1 Char Width 2....., e...

Import from Excel
I'm importing a spreadsheet from Excel. My problem is that the column of numbers always imports as text. In using the import wizard it does not allow me to check the data type. It is greyed out with the setting as "text". How do I import numbers? Note that once imported, I have changed to text to numbers but all the numbers loose their precision. Hi Import the data into a temp table - run this through a query and use val function (or change the format) in the query. Use the query to either update or append. HTH -- Wayne Manchester, England. "JeffH"...

Transferring contacts and calendar data from old computer to new computer
Help! How does one transfer the outlook contact files and calendar files from an old computer to a new computer's outlook? Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Darren asked: | Help! How does one transfer the outlook contact files and | calendar files from an old computer to a n...

Importing/Exporting in Outlook
I have just purchased a new computer and need to transfer all my Outlook info(add. book, Inbox, folders, deleted items, etc...)to my new computer. the only thing I have been able to get is the address book, and it didnt transfer my email addresses. Any input will be appreciated. OL mail and contacts contained in a *.pst file, this is a hidden file. Copy *.pst to cd, then copy to hd, ensure read only flag is off, then open pst in OL David "Boyd" <bmonk@clcrs.com> wrote in message news:08b201c3601d$63465e60$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have just purchased a new computer an...

importing numeric data
Every time I open a file with numeric data (in scientific notation) from another program, the decimal place gets moved. Ex: 1.04465E-2 (or 0.014465) becomes 1.04465E2 (or 104.465) Is there any way to stop the changing of the sign? Can you open the other program output in Notepad and tell us what you see? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "slapshot26" <slapshot26@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEF354E6-4A14-4352-BD22-F1BB552DB05D@microsoft.com... > Every time I open a file with numeric data ...

Importing Excel Formulas in Publisher
is it possible to import a working excel formula into publisher and then make the calculations in publisher cjw064 <cjw064@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > is it possible to import a working excel formula into publisher and > then make the calculations in publisher No. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher Hi Ed Thx for the reply regarding formulas, could you please advise me how i would do this as i imported a formula in from excel and it wouldnt perform the calculations "Ed Bennett" wrote: > cjw064 <cjw064@discussions....

Associating Contact to Competitors
We've started creating Competitors in CRM. We then noticed that is no way to link Contacts to these competitors like you can with Accounts and Contacts. Is there something I'm missing? How was Competitors intended to be used? when you close an opportunity as lost you can link it to a competitor. By doing this you can track how many deals you are losing etc -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Eric Rist" <EricRist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78696A97-21DB-4F69-AB81-973253558C72@microsoft.com... > We've starte...

Error when creating an appt from existing Contact
We are having sporadic issues when users try to create and save a new appointment from an exisiting contact. It does not happen every time nor does it happen to all users. The error is below along with system details. "General Failure in Scheduling Engine" Ignore and Save or Cancel CRM 3 Rollup 3 Windows 2003 Enterprise SQL 2000 Enterprise Thoughts on how to correct? On Jan 22, 1:04=A0pm, Sean Donnelly <SeanDonne...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We are having sporadic issues when users try to create and save a new > appointment from an exisiting contact. It ...