Windows Live Mail problems 06-09-10

I'm having problems on one of the 64-bit machines where I've installed 
Windows Live Mail.

1.  When I click the icon to start the program, I see a spinning circle for 
a few seconds, then the circle disappears and nothing else happens.  The 
other ways I've found to start the program don't work either.  This MIGHT be 
due to the large number of newsgroups messages I have downloaded but not 
read - around 800000, mostly from text-only newsgroups.  Any ideas on what 
to do?

(I've had previous problems on that machine that shut down all access to the 
Windows Mail program on that machine, even the ability to run it long enough 
that Windows Live Mail could import its message database, estimated at 
2300000 messages, also mostly from text-only newsgroups, but this newsgroup 
doesn't look like a good place to describe the details.)

2. Earlier, I was unable to find anything in the help file describing any 
equivalent to the newsgroups filtering functions I've already used heavily 
under Windows Mail.  Does this mean that Windows Live Mail does not have 
such filtering functions for newsgroups, or only that Microsoft decided to 
make any help information about them hard to find?

3.  A few times, I've seen an error message about Windows Live Mail being 
unable to start because some other program is accessing its database.  Is 
there some way I can find more information about just what program?  The 
most obvious candidate, Norton Internet Security 2010, is very hard to shut 
down for long enough to check if it's the cause.  Could a few other people 
using both Windows Live Mail and Norton Internet Security 2010 mention how 
well they work together?

Robert Miles

HP d5200t
8 GB memory, but long-running programs are currently using around 2 GB
64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
many hard drive backup attempts during the last two months, but none that 
completed successfully 


0
robertmiles
6/9/2010 2:33:33 AM
windows.live.mail.desktop 2735 articles. 9 followers. Follow

4 Replies
527 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 56

Image your drive so it can be restored.
Export your messages to another storage device, they can still be read(if Vista or XP, enable the Subject or Title field in 
Explorer)

Then for your questions..
A1. Reset the entire newsgroup, test if WLM opens faster
A2. Filter functions as in rules ?  Tools/Message Rules
A3. Remove Norton 2010, install Microsoft Security Essentials, test.

For additional support for WLMail
http://windowslivehelp.com

Fyi..this newsgroup is scheduled for closure by Oct 1, 2010. Actual date to-be--announced.

-- 
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

<robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message news:u$Dnlw3BLHA.5476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I'm having problems on one of the 64-bit machines where I've installed Windows Live Mail.
>
> 1.  When I click the icon to start the program, I see a spinning circle for a few seconds, then the circle disappears and nothing 
> else happens.  The other ways I've found to start the program don't work either.  This MIGHT be due to the large number of 
> newsgroups messages I have downloaded but not read - around 800000, mostly from text-only newsgroups.  Any ideas on what to do?
>
> (I've had previous problems on that machine that shut down all access to the Windows Mail program on that machine, even the 
> ability to run it long enough that Windows Live Mail could import its message database, estimated at 2300000 messages, also 
> mostly from text-only newsgroups, but this newsgroup doesn't look like a good place to describe the details.)
>
> 2. Earlier, I was unable to find anything in the help file describing any equivalent to the newsgroups filtering functions I've 
> already used heavily under Windows Mail.  Does this mean that Windows Live Mail does not have such filtering functions for 
> newsgroups, or only that Microsoft decided to make any help information about them hard to find?
>
> 3.  A few times, I've seen an error message about Windows Live Mail being unable to start because some other program is accessing 
> its database.  Is there some way I can find more information about just what program?  The most obvious candidate, Norton 
> Internet Security 2010, is very hard to shut down for long enough to check if it's the cause.  Could a few other people using 
> both Windows Live Mail and Norton Internet Security 2010 mention how well they work together?
>
> Robert Miles
>
> HP d5200t
> 8 GB memory, but long-running programs are currently using around 2 GB
> 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
> many hard drive backup attempts during the last two months, but none that completed successfully
> 
0
winston
6/9/2010 4:53:30 PM
> Image your drive so it can be restored.

Where do I find instructions on how to do that?  Also, does Windows Home 
Premium even include the software needed to do it?

> Export your messages to another storage device, they can still be read(if 
> Vista or XP, enable the Subject or Title field in Explorer)

Does that lose the capability to search for messages with certain text 
strings in the body?  Also, how do I export messages if WLM won't start at 
all?

> A1. Reset the entire newsgroup, test if WLM opens faster

Which newsgroup? I've subscribed to a few dozen.  Also, how do I reset a 
newsgroup in WLM if this problem keeps WLM from starting at all:

> When I click the icon to start the program, I see a spinning circle for a 
> few seconds, then the circle disappears and nothing else happens.

In case it matters, I do have another machine where WLM will run, but that 
machine is a laptop with no mouse, so many of the WLM functions are hard 
enough to use that I haven't downloaded very many messages on that machine.

> A2. Filter functions as in rules ?  Tools/Message Rules

Thanks -that part of your reply worked.  I would like Microsoft to add the 
ability to find all the incoming newsgroups posts that mention certain 
websites, and give the user the choice of either deleting them unseen, or 
move them to a folder to report most of them as spam - something needed to 
handle today's newgroups spam adequately.

> A3. Remove Norton 2010, install Microsoft Security Essentials, test.

Probably requires a reboot, so I will not be able to try it for the next few 
days; I'm running a program expected to fully use one of the CPU cores for 
about 200 more hours, with NO usable checkpoints to avoid losing the last 20 
CPU hours of work that program has already done.

Also, are you sure I should be using an antimalware program already reported 
as not the best, when I've already reported over 10000 newsgroups spam 
messages to Google Groups, and made no secret of this on newsgroups?  The 
spyware section was reported as not even as good as many of the free 
antispyware programs.  I'd expect several spammers to want to send me 
malware if they can get it past my malware program(s).  I'd even install 
more than one antivirus program if I haden't already seen reports that more 
than one antivirus program on the same machine tend to interfere with each 
other.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353386,000.asp
Follow the link to the full review near the bottom.  Note the signs that 
Microsoft is not likely to devote much more effort to future versions of the 
program, and that the program does automatic updates even for people who run 
programs that need to run uninterrupted for days at a time:

http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1324

http://www.cnet.com.au/microsoft-security-essentials-339298827.htm

Robert Miles

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:uwgyPR$BLHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Image your drive so it can be restored.
> Export your messages to another storage device, they can still be read(if 
> Vista or XP, enable the Subject or Title field in Explorer)
>
> Then for your questions..
> A1. Reset the entire newsgroup, test if WLM opens faster
> A2. Filter functions as in rules ?  Tools/Message Rules
> A3. Remove Norton 2010, install Microsoft Security Essentials, test.
>
> For additional support for WLMail
> http://windowslivehelp.com
>
> Fyi..this newsgroup is scheduled for closure by Oct 1, 2010. Actual date 
> to-be--announced.
>
> -- 
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>
> <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message 
> news:u$Dnlw3BLHA.5476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
[snip] 


0
robertmiles
6/10/2010 1:03:55 AM
Inline...


-- 
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

<robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message news:#ODOMjDCLHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Image your drive so it can be restored.
>
> Where do I find instructions on how to do that?  Also, does Windows Home Premium even include the software needed to do it?

  One would have to obtain a program to image the drive(e..g Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image).
>
>> Export your messages to another storage device, they can still be read(if Vista or XP, enable the Subject or Title field in 
>> Explorer)
>
> Does that lose the capability to search for messages with certain text strings in the body?  Also, how do I export messages if 
> WLM won't start at all?

 Exported messages will not be in WLM(they will reside on a folder you create on your hard drive)
>
>> A1. Reset the entire newsgroup, test if WLM opens faster
>
> Which newsgroup? I've subscribed to a few dozen.  Also, how do I reset a newsgroup in WLM if this problem keeps WLM from starting 
> at all:

 Sorry, you can't if WLM doesn't open.

>
>> When I click the icon to start the program, I see a spinning circle for a few seconds, then the circle disappears and nothing 
>> else happens.

 Control Shift Esc to access task manager, end all wlmail.exe processes then attempt to open WLM(fyi...I probably missed it..but 
are you using the current version 14.0.8117.0416 ?)
>
> In case it matters, I do have another machine where WLM will run, but that machine is a laptop with no mouse, so many of the WLM 
> functions are hard enough to use that I haven't downloaded very many messages on that machine.

It doesn't matter..your primary issue is with the problem machine.

>
>> A2. Filter functions as in rules ?  Tools/Message Rules
>
> Thanks -that part of your reply worked.  I would like Microsoft to add the ability to find all the incoming newsgroups posts that 
> mention certain websites, and give the user the choice of either deleting them unseen, or move them to a folder to report most of 
> them as spam - something needed to handle today's newgroups spam adequately.

 The only closely related rule 'specificer in WLM is 'where the message body contains specfic words' then apply one of the 
available actions.  I doubt much beyond the present set of commands will be added no matter how much anyone prays :)
>
>> A3. Remove Norton 2010, install Microsoft Security Essentials, test.
>
> Probably requires a reboot, so I will not be able to try it for the next few days; I'm running a program expected to fully use 
> one of the CPU cores for about 200 more hours, with NO usable checkpoints to avoid losing the last 20 CPU hours of work that 
> program has already done.
>
> Also, are you sure I should be using an antimalware program already reported as not the best, when I've already reported over 
> 10000 newsgroups spam messages to Google Groups, and made no secret of this on newsgroups?  The spyware section was reported as 
> not even as good as many of the free antispyware programs.  I'd expect several spammers to want to send me malware if they can 
> get it past my malware program(s).  I'd even install more than one antivirus program if I haden't already seen reports that more 
> than one antivirus program on the same machine tend to interfere with each other.

 Choose whatever program floats your boat...though if it interferes with your mail client's functionality no matter how 
respectable, imo, it may still be the wrong one.
 I'm not going to debate the pros/cons of any AV client....my personal preference is NOD32(with email scanning disabled)....though 
thanks for the pc mag link and the humor...the pc mag article was sponsored by Symantec and it was dated Sept 09(looks like prior 
to RTW for initials release and the subsequent upgrade).


You also have the option of contacting Windows Live Support personnel as previously suggested..

  http://windowslivehelp.com


 ...winston
 msft mvp mail


>
> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353386,000.asp
> Follow the link to the full review near the bottom.  Note the signs that Microsoft is not likely to devote much more effort to 
> future versions of the program, and that the program does automatic updates even for people who run programs that need to run 
> uninterrupted for days at a time:

> 
0
winston
6/10/2010 5:40:10 AM
Inline again.

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:#25X0XGCLHA.4416@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Inline...
>
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>
> <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message 
> news:#ODOMjDCLHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
[snip]
>>> A1. Reset the entire newsgroup, test if WLM opens faster
>>
>> Which newsgroup? I've subscribed to a few dozen.  Also, how do I reset a 
>> newsgroup in WLM if this problem keeps WLM from starting at all:
>
> Sorry, you can't if WLM doesn't open.
>
Earlier today, the very-long-running gave me an unexpected chance to catch 
up on updates and reboot.

After that, WLM would open again, although more slowly than usual.

It still usually fails to complete database compactions when I close the 
program, though; it appears to need the equivalent of WMUtil, either as a 
separate program or built in, to handle this.
>>
>>> When I click the icon to start the program, I see a spinning circle for 
>>> a few seconds, then the circle disappears and nothing else happens.
>
> Control Shift Esc to access task manager, end all wlmail.exe processes 
> then attempt to open WLM(fyi...I probably missed it..but are you using the 
> current version 14.0.8117.0416 ?)

There were no such processes to kill; I'd already tried that without 
mentioning it.

I'm using the current version 14.0.8117.0416.
>>
>>

> The only closely related rule 'specificer in WLM is 'where the message 
> body contains specfic words' then apply one of the available actions.  I 
> doubt much beyond the present set of commands will be added no matter how 
> much anyone prays :)

One I haven't seen and tried for newsgroups.

Have seen it for email, though, where I seldom need it.
>
> ...winston
> msft mvp mail
>
Robert Miles 


0
Robert
6/11/2010 3:53:22 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Remote site access to Microsoft Outlook e-mail
I plan on travelling and I like to know how to access my e-mail account from a remote computer site. What are the procedures to set my e-mail account so that it is accessible at a remote computer terminal? Thanks Rainer Use your ISPs Webmail option. Unless you are using Exchange and Outlook Web Access, you cannot access your local Outlook client via the Internet. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After sear...

Outlook 0x800ccc0d error when Norton e-mail protect enabled: see hosts
This post is made to help others solve this issue, based on my experience. Symptom: - Outlook works perfectly well when Norton Anti-Virus e-mail protection is disabled - Outlook cannot retrieve incoming messages when NAV e-mail protection is enabled, message being: pop3 server not found, error 0x800ccc0d This symptom, and possible solutions, are exactly the object of Symantec support note: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000020716064206 Please read this note first ! The object of this post is to add another possible solution to this problem. NAV email protection sets up...

Banking Services Update Problem #2
I have successfully completed all of the steps as provided for in the update instructions. Initially updates were received as usual. However, now all of the accounts that were disabled and set-up again are failing to update. Message received is "Update unsuccessful" and call summary message is "Microsoft Money could not update your account. Please try to update your account again." Also after updating, the accounts that were updated never displayed a password text box. I went through the disable and set-up process again and still no password text box on the upd...

Autonumber created.. problems in the future?
I managed to create an autonumber in Microsoft CRM. I did this by making a field "Number"(in the database "New_Number") and I published it on the form. Then I went To the SQL server and I changed the field in the table to Identity Yes, Identity seed 1, Identity Increment 1. I locked the field on the form. It worked! I think that this is not supported by Microsoft. But has anybody got any idea which troubles i could get with this configuration? San ________________________________ Do you know all add-ons for Microsoft CRM? Visit http://www.pimpmycrm.com The biggest dange...

Problems with reallocations in the Advanced Budget
I am a using the Advanced Budget in Money and for years I have reallocated money between categories and months. recently when I updated my transactions all my real locations were wrong. Basically the money I allocated from March to February was not only back in February it reversed it and made it look like I sent Money from February to March so now any category that I have reallocated money (an that is most) is wrong. Does anyone know of a way to fix this, I have run the repair, but that did nothing. Microsoft Money Plus Premium Version 17.0.125.1415 I am so glad to see that I am...

Excel button problem
Hi All I have a macro that copies a worksheet in the active workbook and puts it into a new workbook - then formats it and deletes any buttons on the worksheet. On the first click on the button the macro works ok. On the second click, it fails because the all assigned macros on all buttons in the active workbook changed from "mba" to "book1!mba". Book 1 doesn't exists (wasn't opened, wasn't saved, doesn't have the macros). I've never experienced this problem before?? Can anyone help to solve this problem? FYI The macro to do this is c...

Question -Problem
Has anybody ever seen an error message (0x800cccF6) message? I cannot configure my Outlook to retrieve Hotmail. Works with other profiles on this computer running winxp. Stan-The-Man-2006 wrote: > Has anybody ever seen an error message (0x800cccF6) message? I cannot > configure my Outlook to retrieve Hotmail. Works with other profiles > on this computer running winxp. If you have a free Hotmail account, note that it won't work anymore (even your other profiles will eventually have problems) - see http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/online.htm#hotmail ...

AD Sync problem
Hello, One of my DC was disconnected from the network for quite a long time and cannot be synchronized with AD anymore. I have been trying to apply the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325850/en-us procedure to reset the machine account password. After launching the command "netdom resetpwd /S: ....." I've got the following error message : "The machine account password for the local machine could not be reset. Echec d'ouverture de session : unknown user or incorrect password. The command failed to complete successfully." ANy idea to help me ? Man...

outlook 97 and express email problems
Hi, I am currently on an IBM X21 laptop and is running windows 98 se with office 97 pro. I recently experienced some problems with outlook (illegal operations etc) and reinstalled office to fix the problem but since then I have not been able to send or recieve emails with outlook 97 and outlook express 6. I simply get an error message saying the host can't be found (but does exist and I can ping it successfully). Any suggestions on what I might do? I have tried creating new accounts in windows mail and outlook express, but I still get the same error. Thankyou in advance! Tim D...

Having problem with spoofing email
Our users just received multiple email from different users outside the company. In the To: line, it shows his user name correctly but when he print those email, the To: line was showing somebody else name on the print out. Is there a way to block this behavior? I'm using E2k3. For some reason our spam (postini) didn't pick up these emails. Thank you, Could you please post the message in raw format (including the mail headers) Petch wrote: > Our users just received multiple email from different users outside the > company. In the To: line, it shows his user name cor...

Moving incoming mail automatically to specific folders.
I have three separate E-Mail Accounts (1,2, and 3) I have created three subfolders under Inbox (Mail1, Mail2, Mail3) How can I automatically get the mail sent to the correct Mail in location (Mail1,Mail2 or Mail3). I am sure the answer like everything is easy when you know how but I have just spent an hour trying! Thanks Ted On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 00:24:44 -0000, "EddyStone" <teds@screaming.net> wrote: >I have three separate E-Mail Accounts (1,2, and 3) >I have created three subfolders under Inbox (Mail1, Mail2, Mail3) >How can I automatically get the mail sent to ...

Problem with Range
Hello All, Using Windows & Excel XP. I have a worksheet that has times located in every other column, A1:A30, C1:C30, E1:E30. I then name the range "times". I want to find the count of times that are between 0:30:00 and 0:39:59 (30 and 39:59 minutes). I write the formula: =COUNTIF(times,">=" & TIME(0,30,0)) - COUNTIF(times,">=" & TIME(0,39,59)) but get the error #VALUE! I have tried writing a formula for times in one column and consecutive columns and it gives the correct count, it is just when the times in every other column that th...

WCF Client serialization problem
I posted the problem on another forum, and to prevent duplicate posts, but get as many professionals as possible to look at it, I include the url in this post. Please help! http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2948657/migrating-webclient-to-wcf-wcf-client-serializes-parametername-of-method ...

setup Windows Mail as Word 2003 default emailer
All I can do is setup Outlook. I do not use Outlook. I would like to email Word docs using MS Windows Mail (new version of Express) In the Windows Start area, type Regedit into the search bar and then start the Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Clients>Mail Right Click on the (Default) item and then on Modify and in the Value data: field enter Windows Mail so that after you click OK, you have (Default) REG_SZ WIndows Mail -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a pa...

message delivery problems
Hello! There are several email address that when I send them an e-mail, they just sit in the Queue. I did message tracking and its telling me that "Message Routed and Queued for Remote Delivery". Can anyone suggest symptoms for this? Thank You! usually messages sitting in outgoing queue take time due to DNS related issues. Do you have issues performing NSlookups on any domains from your workstation? Can you perform the same NSlookups from the exchange server? From the exchange server, can you perform smtp communication directly to the mailserver that would receive the e...

Offline Synchronization Problem #2
I get the following error when I try going offline. The excelption is taken from Event Viewer of the Client Machine. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSCRMOfflineSync Event Category: None Event ID: 6000 Date: 3/25/2008 Time: 5:03:33 PM User: N/A Computer: WINXP Description: An error occurred during Offline Synchronization. Try going offline again, or restart Microsoft Outlook. saInsert failed for entity 'ActivityMimeAttachment', batchRows=0 with exception System.FormatException: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument li...

outlook 2007 e-mail
how do you stop e-mails from automatically downloading when you open outlook 2007. i would like to be able to open outlook 2007 and have it wait for me to select 'receive' before downloading e-mails to my system. i know there is a way to do it in outlook 2003 but i do not remember how to do it there and i cannot find how to do it in outlook 2007. -- emerson Uncheck the option to send/receive at a specific interval. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted w...

XSL Problem
Hi, I have the following problem. There are 3 files. ------------------------------------------------------- a) XML file <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="hall.xsl"?> <quizcirclecontests> <contest> <id>1</id> <date>15-Nov-02 to 22-Nov-02</date> <participants> <name>AS</name> <name>JP</name> </participants> </contest> <contest> <i...

Problem with named range for a large spreadsheet in Excel 2007
Hello, I am trying to generate a large Excel spreadsheet apprx. 10000 rows and 40 columns. I am generating defined name section in the Workbook.xml part of the XLSM package. Here is a sample entry from that section <definedName name="_._44802_._0_._0_._0_._top_line" localSheetId="0" hidden="1">Sheet1!$B$2</definedName> Although the generation goes fine, I can not open the spreadsheet as the Excel throws an error message saying the package is corrupt. But this is not the case if the spreadsheet is small say, 200 rows by 10 columns. ...

OE autodelete OLD mail
How do I have Outlook Express automatically delete 90-Day old messages from the deleted items folder? Thanks, Matthew This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x microsoft.public...

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit
Need help remotely connecting to 64 bit clients connected to SBS 2003 SP2. I have installed KB926505 (Vista compatabilty) on the server. When I try to establish the connection to the 64 bit machine using my 32 bit windows 7 laptop, I get a dialog box titled remote desktop disconnected. On the Windows 7 64 bit machine I have checked remote connection properties and also the advanced firewall properties, inbound connections remote connections are enabled under the domain profile. What am I missing? Thanks, So let me understand this? sorry I have a cold and it's hard for m...

Test for Windows Classic folders in XP?
Hey, I use GetVersionEx to check for XP, is there a test for Windows Classic folders in XP? Thanks, Wayne Use IsThemeActive(); Get uxtheme.h, uxtheme.lib, and uxtheme.dll by downloading Platform SDK for WIndows XP SP2 from Microsoft. Wayne "Wayne Ransier" <vsense@netcarrier.com> wrote in message news:O49wUd%23IFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hey, > > I use GetVersionEx to check for XP, is there a test for Windows Classic > folders in XP? > > Thanks, > Wayne > > ...

sys menu problem in MDI
I have an MDI with 3 childwnd. Whenever group of views from chiuldwnd type X is shown the childwnd Y views and childwnd Z views are hidden via ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) when changing the activate frame. it works. But when I press the minimize box on the ChildWnd sys menu, i C all the views no matter what type are them. I want that when I press the system menu the other views types will still be hidden and the views of the vurrent type will be shown as minimize, how di I do it ? 10x. J. ...

Problem sending encrypted email in OLXP
Hello All, I am having a problem sending encrypted email messages using OLXP if they are NOT in HTML format. Everything seems to work fine with OL2000 and OL2003. Any ideas about what may be going on? GW Gee Weez <weez.gee@gmail.com> wrote: > I am having a problem sending encrypted email messages using OLXP if > they are NOT in HTML format. Everything seems to work fine with OL2000 > and OL2003. Any ideas about what may be going on? Do you tell your doctor you're "having problems" or do you describe your symptoms with as much precision as you can manage? -- ...

mail queues for long on Exchange 2000 server time before being sent
I have a situation where all outgoing mail sits in a queues on the Exchange 2000 server (one per domain) for about 45 minutes before being sent. The queues in question have a status of ready. There are also other queues of that are retries (mostly NDRs from junk mail). We are only a small company and the amount of mail is not great. What might Exchange be waiting for before sending this mail? Is there something I can tweak to make it send mail sooner? Thanks for any help, Angus. Angus, Where does the mail go after it leaves your Exchange server, does it go to a smarthost/isp or d...