Share Contacts with other users

I would like to share my contacts with other users and create an office for 4
people, sharing not only documents but also the same contact folder. I would
also like to have a seperate login for everyone in the group, as we should
know who posts messages and who receives emails. Otherwise the office should
be an open space with the information inside that everybody can use change
and delete. Especially the contacts are a problem, as I did not find a way to
share them with others.

Thanks, Eva

You might see this thread, though I suspect you'll eventually have problems with multiple users
This was posted in this forum, but I couldn't get the msft community web site to load, thus used Google to find the same thread
archived elsewhere.
    http://www.vistax64.com/live-mail/267231-change-contact-list-location.html

For security purposes each person should have their own Windows username and password.

You'd really be better off with something else more acclimated to sharing and apparently 'watching'.

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"Eva" <Eva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBEBF5D2-D8BA-471A-AF43-337D745809C0@microsoft.com...
> I would like to share my contacts with other users and create an office for 4
> people, sharing not only documents but also the same contact folder. I would
> also like to have a seperate login for everyone in the group, as we should
> know who posts messages and who receives emails. Otherwise the office should
> be an open space with the information inside that everybody can use change
> and delete. Especially the contacts are a problem, as I did not find a way to
> share them with others.
>
> Thanks, Eva

1
winston
1/25/2010 4:53:36 PM
@ ...winston: This one of my wacky solutions doesn't really apply to
contact *sharing*. I have tried it in a minimal sort of way, and it does
work for a network share* as well, but I can imagine all sorts of problems
that might arise. I've no idea, for example, what would happen if two
different users accessed the same contact at the same time. Changes to
contacts are not written to the contacts.edb database immediately, but to a
log file that is read both by the sync mechanism and by the user during a
session - as a sort of appendix to the database. So as far as the user
making the change is concerned, it is immediate, but anyone else accessing
the same database will not see any change until the first user closes down
his WLMail prompting a write to the database. And any interruption to the
server connection would presumably cause an error which might prompt the
creation of a new local (empty!) contacts list. Not a wise solution, I
think, until we learn more about how the whole system works. I'll point Eva
to another possibility, slightly less wacky...

@ Eva: I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a 'separate login for
everyone in the group' followed by 'we should know who posts messages and
who receives emails'. Those two seem mutually exclusive to me. Still, you
could solve your 'common contacts' problem by setting up a Live ID for the
group. Then each member would sign in with this Live ID and the contacts
list would be the same for all of them. Changes made by one member would be
synchronized regularly and so become available to the others.

Signing in has nothing to do with sending and receiving mail. This will
still be governed by the account settings for the individual members of the
group. If you have a 'corporate email address', everyone would be able to
see all mail received by that account. Sent messages, though, would not be
available unless the account uses either IMAP or HTTP. Again, if your
'corporate email address' is a POP3 account, you could use Windows Live to
aggregate that account to the Live ID I mentioned above. If you did that,
everyone would be able to see all mail sent and received on that account.
You might need guidance to set that up - if so, just post back.

One other advantage of utilizing a Live ID that I can see in your case is
having a common calendar. The calendar is an integral part of WLMail, but
if you sign in with a Live ID, it will be synchronized with a copy
available on the web. (Just imagine - one of you is out of the office on a
call. So long as you have Internet access - borrowed from the place you're
calling on, for example - you can access the office calendar, contacts list
and emails if you know the Live ID and associated password.)

Windows Live is a great resource if you make the effort to exploit it!

* [If the Windows Live Contacts folder is shared on the network, the
shortcut is already there in the Nethood folder on other member computers.
It just needs copying to the appropriate place and renaming. Share
permissions might have to be tweaked.]
--
Noel

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You might see this thread, though I suspect you'll eventually have
> problems with multiple users
> This was posted in this forum, but I couldn't get the msft community web
> site to load, thus used Google to find the same thread archived
> elsewhere.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/live-mail/267231-change-contact-list-location.html
>
> For security purposes each person should have their own Windows username
> and password.
>

> You'd really be better off with something else more acclimated to sharing
> and apparently 'watching'.

> "Eva" <Eva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I would like to share my contacts with other users and create an office
>> for 4 people, sharing not only documents but also the same contact
>> folder. I would also like to have a seperate login for everyone in the
>> group, as we should know who posts messages and who receives emails.
>> Otherwise the office should be an open space with the information inside
>> that everybody can use change and delete. Especially the contacts are a
>> problem, as I did not find a way to share them with others.
>>
>> Thanks, Eva

0
Ildhund
1/25/2010 7:12:24 PM
You might consider Office Live Workspace as a place for sharing info between
the 4 / 5 of you.  It may have to be a manual (not interactive) contact
list, but it is a way to share and update as necessary.

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You might see this thread, though I suspect you'll eventually have
> problems with multiple users
> This was posted in this forum, but I couldn't get the msft community web
> site to load, thus used Google to find the same thread archived elsewhere.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/live-mail/267231-change-contact-list-location.html
>
> For security purposes each person should have their own Windows username
> and password.
>

> You'd really be better off with something else more acclimated to sharing
> and apparently 'watching'.
>
> --
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>
> "Eva" <Eva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I would like to share my contacts with other users and create an office
>> for 4
>> people, sharing not only documents but also the same contact folder. I
>> would
>> also like to have a seperate login for everyone in the group, as we
>> should
>> know who posts messages and who receives emails. Otherwise the office
>> should
>> be an open space with the information inside that everybody can use
>> change
>> and delete. Especially the contacts are a problem, as I did not find a
>> way to
>> share them with others.
>>
>> Thanks, Eva

0
slk759

Sharing records
Hi all I have some troubles as sharing records are concerned A user creates an account record and share it with a team. It results out than every user in the system can access this account regardless the team he belongs. The shared account always is displayed in "Active Account" for every user Could anybody tell me where it is the mistake? Is any special customization required Thanks in advance Teresa Martinez - Spain Check the security roles for all users. Have you got all your users in a single Business Unit or spread over multiple business units? "Teresa" <anon...

Problem with security of Notes in shared object...
I have configured all security roles with privileges to add and modify NOTES on user level and read on Organization level. I change relationships between Notes and other object from Parental to "Configurable Cascading" and set Assign, Reparent , Sharing as Cascade- None. Case: I have ownership to Opportunity record and add own notes, than I share this Opportunity to other users with Read & Append privilligies. They add own notes and can't modify my notes. It's OK but unfortunatelly when I open Opportunity - i can change Notes of others users despite the security role d...

Blocking Outbound Mail for Selected Users
I want a certain group of users to have access to internally generated e-mail only. I've prevented their receipt of external e-mail by deleting their SMTP address using Exchange Administrator. However, how do I prevent them from sending e-mail to an external domain? Set the restrictions on the the Internet Mail Connector, assuming your running Exchange 5.5 as you did not say what version. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "James" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:e24401c3eff9$70a013a0$a601...

Purchasing Excel for a PC to share files with Mac version 2008?
Which version for a PC 2003 or 2007 would be best for sharing files between that and a Mac using Excel 2008? This site may help with your decision: http://mac-advisor.com/pages/MSoffice_file_format.html "vivreexcel" wrote: > Which version for a PC 2003 or 2007 would be best for sharing files between > that and a Mac using Excel 2008? vivreexcel - Mac Excel 2008 can read and write XLS and XLSX files, so either Excel 2003 or Excel 2007 is fine. Mac Excel 2008 does not support VBA, so XLA and XLSM are off limits. For a more Mac-centric set of opinions, p...

How can I select more than one contact at a time w/o Ctrl/Click?
I do not want to delete all of them in the folder, just the duplicates. I despise the Ctrl/Click option..... twilson wrote: > I do not want to delete all of them in the folder, just the > duplicates. I despise the Ctrl/Click option..... http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail_duplicates.asp What did ctrl-click ever do to you to earn such a level of hatred? -- f.h. ...

Change User Toolbar Button not working
Hello Everybody, On one of our user installs, the Change User toolbar doesn't work. Neither does File..User and Company. Clicking the button or menu does nothing at all. There is no error at all, it just doesn't do anything. The only way for this user to change companies is to completely log out of GP and log back into the new company. He is a member of our accounting department and needs to switch companies many times a day. I could simply reinstall, but would like to understand the problem, as well. We are using GP9. Thanks, Jeremy ------=_NextPart_0001_87ACF3AE Content-...

move mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003, users can't delete items
We've been moving mailboxes from an Exchange 5.5 box to an Exchange 2003 SP2 system. The moves seem to work fine (no errors) but when some users go into Outlook and try to delete messages from the "deleted items" folder, they can't. No error messages occur, nothing happens. If you do a SHIFT-DEL, then the items can be deleted. We've also noticed that the "recover deleted items" option is greyed out. The client systems that seem to have the most problems are those users running Outlook 2000. I tested creating a user account with a mailbox on the 5.5 box. Sen...

Migrate Users
Hi, we're migrating from the test enviroment, to the production server, we already translate the companies databases, but, is there any method to migrate the users with the advanced security already configurated? Regards Ellery, You should be able to export security settings from Advanced Security in the test company and then import them into the live db. Mark (dynamicaccounting.net) On Mar 29, 12:39 pm, "Ellery E G=F3mez" <ego...@nospam.mc.com> wrote: > Hi, we're migrating from the test enviroment, to the production server, we > already translate the ...

Share/Copy .PST data PC#1 Outlook 2003 {--} PC#2 Outlook 2007 Business Contact Manager
I have 2 PC's with Office 2003 Pro. I want to install the Office 2007 Beta on one of the PC's, at least the MS Outlook 2007 module, and I want to install THAT with the Business Contact Manager 2007. Will I be able to safely copy my data, i.e. my .PST files back & forth over the coming months between the PC running Outlook 2003 WITHOUT BCM and the one running Outlook 2007 WITH Business Contact Manager? I mean is there any incompatibility between the data files used by Office 2007 and Office 2003? I know that the Business Contact Manager stores its data in MSDE (SQL Server), but ...

Outlook 2003 and Contacts
I am a MAPI user and when I double click a name in the GAL and click add to contacts I get a message that states: Some names could not be added to Contacts. The action could not be completed. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced. Tech <mafialink@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am a MAPI user and when I double click a name in the GAL and click > add to contacts I get a message that states: > > Some names could not be added to Contacts. The action could not be > completed. Why add GAL addresses to Contacts, since the GAL already _is_ a list of Contacts? My understanding is that ...

New users not showing in GAL
When I create a new mailbox for a user, the mailbox is showing up in the All Users list, however they do not show up in the GAL. I haven't changed any settings to the Exchange 2003 in the last month and this issue just started happening last Friday. Any ideas as to what may cause the problem? Checked out KB315531 and everything looks correct. Thanks ...

Act contacts into outlook
is there a program that will move act contacts into outlook? Also how custome can you make out look contacts. Can you create mailing list from outlook? TIA Josh 1) See http://www.slipstick.com/config/convaddr.htm for your options. 2) You can create simple mailing lists with Outlook; you can also do mail merges with Word if both programs are from the same Office version. If you tell us more about what you want to do we can get more specific. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to p...

Get Error Message when adding Users
When I try to add an existing user on the domain to CRM, I get the following message: User 1 ( username ) failed : Access is denied. (80070005) - SOAP Server Application Faulted Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the solution? Thanks I've come across this error with Active Directory accounts that were migrated from Win2K (though I'm not sure why this is the case). I was able to add the users using CRM's web interface rather than the deployment manager. Just be sure to enter the user's Domain Logon Name in the correct format, such as DOMAIN\username Ho...

Can't add a new user
When I attempt to add a user to CRM 3.0, I get the error: You are attempting to create a user with a domain logon that is already used by another user. Select another domain logon and try again. We think this user had access to the system at one time but his CRM account was deleted. What old data is still around that's preventing me from adding him back? Is it in the CRM database, AD, the registry? What do I need to do to correct the problem? Thanks for your assistance. Hi Ed, since you can not delete a user from CRM (you need to go directly to the database to do that) I guess...

Outlook Contacts phone numbers
I have Windows XP pro with Office 2007 and a verizon Ozone phone runing windows 6.1. I sync my Outlook to the phone locally through Activesync. ...

[MDI] have a few doc type created while user press file new option?
Hello I'm new to MFC. I'm writing a MDI program which will plot a few graphs. So I use AddDocTemplate() to make a doc type for each graph that i need to plot. But the problem is when a user press file new, a dialog box come up and ask which type of doc they want instead of creating new child windows for all the type. How can i make it create all doc type windows instaed of asking which one the user want Thanks : Like, if i have 2 doc type for 2 graph. Cgraph1Doc and Cgraph1View for graph 1. And Cgraph2Doc and Cgraph2View for graph2. When the user press file new, the program ask wh...

"Contact list full" Error message, but contact list is not full.
Hi, I am trying to add a new contact and it keeps saying my contact list is full (I have around 100 people on there). I delete people and still get the same message, I have even delete people out of my network on windows live, but still the same. I have had this problem for a couple of days now. Anyone help? Greetings Charles, This is an on-going problem over the past few days, and unsure what exactly is going on. However, you are certainly not alone. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://...

5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 User Over Quota
One of my users receive this message when she attempts to send any e-mails to one particular users. Does anyone have a clue about this message. i can't find any information on this site or any other about this error message. Do you have a sending quota set? To check on a user account navigate to (aduc > users account > properties >Exchange General > Storage limits). If use mailbox default is selected, a mailbox policy is applied "fanman36" wrote: > One of my users receive this message when she attempts to send any e-mails > to one particular users. Do...

Sharing stencils
Hello, In our company, two people are working on the same project using Visio 2003. We would both like to be able to use (not edit) the same stencilsl, but when one of us saves a shape on that stencil, the other one has to close the stencil first. Is there a way to avoid this, or is there another way to work on a project together ? Thanks, Arnold On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:42:50 +0100, "Arnold de Greef" <Arnolddegreef@quicknet.nl> wrote: >In our company, two people are working on the same project using Visio 2003. >We would both like to be able to use (not edit) the same ...

Pivot Table Filter by User Entry
I'm attempting to create a single Pivot Table that automatically applies a filter, depending on what the user enters into a form. For example, salesperson "John" opens the excel file and enters his name into a pop-up form. Then a Pivot is displayed with only John's sales--filtered by selecting John's salesperson number in the Pivot's filter. Does anyone know how to do this?? Help would be greatly appreciated! You can use programming to set the page field. For example: '============== Sub FilterPivot() Dim pt As PivotTable Dim pf As PivotField Dim pi As Pivo...

outlook is setting all contacts as reminders
Recently I rebooted my computer and wiper everything as it was running really badly. I backed up the outlook .pst file and had no problems reinstalling outlook and importing the data. Unfortunatley something strange has now happended. All the contacts come up when i open outlook as new reminders. I have dissmissed them all and they go away while the program is open but when i close it and go back in they appear again. I have tried deleting all my contacts and reentering them... Big Job. But it seems it actually happens with newly added contacts as well? Im at my wits end with...

Exchange backup disabled user
Hi all, We are running Exchange 2000 and Veritas Backup Exec 9.0 When a user leaves, we want to: Disable the AD a/c and stop the user from receiving mail, backup the mailbox, then delete it after 30 days (default retention period). We want to disable a user the day that they leave so they no longer have access to our network. The problem is though that we cannot backup the mailbox while the AD a/c is disabled. We would like to leave the mailbox in the backup schedule for 30 days so that it is backed up onto the tape which we store away once a month (therefore we always have a backup of...

Can Money be shared (network) between two users??
In microsoft.public.money, Laura wrote: ><nada> http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q111 Also look up "synchronize" in Help. ...

System State Backup fails, remote shared not found
get a failure now everytime I do a recovery point on the system state of an Exchange 2010 using DPM 2010 RC. The Mailbox and Public Folder Database recovery points are fine, but the system state and bare metal recovery both fail now. Windows backup on the Exchange 2010 states that the remote share can't be found, but looking at DPM, it is there. I also looked under disk management, and the volume is there with no errors reporting on it. All other servers (DC's, SQL, File Servers) are all backing up fine. Any ideas? Thanks.... Interestingly, the security for the fo...

Sharing outlook xp calenders
Hi all has anyone sucessfully setup outlook 2002 to share 1 calender on 2 pc's over a lan? I want my receptionist to see my calender on her screen and make appointments for me while I still have full functionality on my system TIA See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:ajvjb.153221$bo1.112262@news-server.bigpond.net.au, Ftca wrote: > Hi al...