Sending email from "Contacts" folder

When I am in my "Contacts" Folder and I try to click the E-Mail option on the
menu bar at the top, I get an error message stating "There is no email
program associated to perform the requested action." even through I have set
up Windows Live Mail as my default email program in the Control Panel
Defaults.  How can this be corrected?

The current version of WLM doesn't use those contacts.  It uses contacts
stored in edb files located in
C:\Users\<yourlogin>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts.

The Contacts folder is for Windows Mail compatibility, or something...

"kensny" <kensny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I am in my "Contacts" Folder and I try to click the E-Mail option on
> the
> menu bar at the top, I get an error message stating "There is no email
> program associated to perform the requested action." even through I have
> set
> up Windows Live Mail as my default email program in the Control Panel
> Defaults.  How can this be corrected?

0
Dave
12/8/2009 4:33:50 AM
Which Contacts folder are you talking about?
Windows Live Mail doesn't use the one located at C:\Users\you\Contacts.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"kensny" <kensny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
> When I am in my "Contacts" Folder and I try to click the E-Mail option =
on the=20
> menu bar at the top, I get an error message stating "There is no email =

> program associated to perform the requested action." even through I =
have set=20
> up Windows Live Mail as my default email program in the Control Panel=20
> Defaults.  How can this be corrected?
0
Gary
12/8/2009 5:07:22 AM
That folder is for:
Vista - Windows Mail, import/export to csv or WLM
Windows 7 - backward compatibility and retention of contacts(for import/export) if upgrading from Vista

 In Vista, the folder needs to be configured as a Contact folder to have the import/export options on the Windows Explorer toolbar

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message news:#rBmp#7dKHA.4724@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> The current version of WLM doesn't use those contacts.  It uses contacts
> stored in edb files located in
> C:\Users\<yourlogin>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts.
>
> The Contacts folder is for Windows Mail compatibility, or something...
>

> "kensny" <kensny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I am in my "Contacts" Folder and I try to click the E-Mail option on
>> the
>> menu bar at the top, I get an error message stating "There is no email
>> program associated to perform the requested action." even through I have
>> set
>> up Windows Live Mail as my default email program in the Control Panel
>> Defaults.  How can this be corrected?

0
winston

Lost Outlook contacts
I recently backed up my hard drive on DVD, then also kept the entire contents to another HD. I then reformated my C; drive, and reinstalled all of my programs. When I searched for my outlook info, I could only find backups I had specifically made for export (These are .PST files). Where was Outlook storing all of this information before, and have I lost it all? I hadn't made a backup for a few months, but all of the info was there each time I opened the program. HELP! I recently had to reinstall my OS and drivers on a new hard drive. I have access to my old drive and my data is ...

Exporting contacts in a csv file

I Want a Warning Before Sending Email to Certain Contacts
Can someone tell me how to configure Outlook so that I will get a warning message before sending email to certain contacts? For example, I have certain contacts categorized as "adversary" or "client" and I would like Outlook to make me confirm that I do, in fact, want to send an email to anyone from those categories. The idea is to prevent myself (and colleagues) from accidentally sending an internal email to the wrong person because of Autocomplete, inadvertence, or some other mistake. Thanks in advance. Extra points for a firm-wide solution--something the s...

How can I convert Palm contacts to Outlook 2007?
I'm about to buy an iPhone. iPhone syncs with MS Outlook. But all my contacts are currently on my Palm OS device. And I'm not an Outlook user, so I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of getting things done. What procedures are available to me for converting my Palm contacts into Outlook? I have too many to even consider doing it manually. Gary <gary_w1@hotmail.com> wrote: > I'm about to buy an iPhone. iPhone syncs with MS Outlook. But all my > contacts are currently on my Palm OS device. And I'm not an Outlook > user, so I'm not familiar with...

XP vs 7 Contacts
Is there a way to export/import contacts from XP to Win 7? "John Hooton" <tooh@cox.net> wrote in message news:O3qeU3VuKHA.6140@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to export/import contacts from XP to Win 7? No because XP and 7 don't HAVE contacts. Re-phrase your question using meaningful terms. Outlook stores them in the PST file, open the PST file in question through Outlook, File, Data file management Add. and then drag the content of the Contacts folder from old file into the new. John Hooton wrote: > Is there a way to export/import ...

how delete all contacts in outlook
I recently setup a new computer and imported a cvs file to Outlook contacts. It created a separated contacts file, now I have 3 contacts folders, one Contacts has only names init, Contacts in Mswings11@hotmail.com has all information in it, a second contacts has all information in it. Outlook 2007, Was there a question you wanted to post? If so state it clearly. -- Russ Valentine "mswings" <mswings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D849E912-A92F-4F70-B9C1-F1488F5AF202@microsoft.com... >I recently setup a new computer and imported a cvs file t...

import contacts #3
how can i import my contact list from hotmail account on the web ...

mail-enabled contacts
Running Exchange 5.5/2000 mixed mode. When a mail enabled contact has more then one email address, does that mean messages are sent to ALL email addresses configured or just the primary. I never had a contact in my GAL that contained more than one smtp address...but I just created one to test it, and as I suspected, the email went only to the primary smtp address... "Megan Kielman" <megan.kielman@(removethis)weyerhaeuser.com> wrote in message news:OfrJrYXWEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Running Exchange 5.5/2000 mixed mode. > > When a mail enabled contact has...

Transferring contacts and calendar data from old computer to new computer
Help! How does one transfer the outlook contact files and calendar files from an old computer to a new computer's outlook? Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Darren asked: | Help! How does one transfer the outlook contact files and | calendar files from an old computer to a n...

Sorting & Printing Contacts
Is there a way to get Outlook to ignore the word "The" in a company's name while sorting but still have it inserted correctly when printing? Suggest you use Microsoft Excel for setting up your contacts list and put the "The" in column "A" and the name in Column "B". You can then sort by "B" and not have the "The" screw up the sort. -- Bill "dafdesign" <dafdesign@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD6CA589-E8B7-43AD-873D-08B2FBBEDD3A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to get Outlook to ignore the...

Can't see all the contacts when viewing "Other Users Folders"
We have a strange situation. We have several users that are setup to see "Other Users Folders" The two folders are Contacts and Appointments. For some reason only a partial list of contacts belonging to the CEO can be seen by 2 users with their Outlook Client. Those are the contacts that the 2 other users have entered into the CEO Contact list from their Outlook Client. None of the older contacts (before the sharing was setup or new contacts that the CEO enters into her Contact list show up on the users Outlook Client. The users have full permissions. Also note that at the...

Outlook 2002 Contacts #2
In Outlook 2002 I have a user that cannot send to contacts. He can see them under the Contacts but they are not an option in the address book. I tried to take him to right click contacts/left click properties then the Outlook Address Book tab and select the option for Show this folder as an e-mail address book. That option was not available to him. Is this a permissions issue on the PC, such as not having admin rights o it or a setting in Outlook? I was not able to find a setting in Outlook that would change that. Please Help... Doug Never mind...I found it. I had to add the...

convert emails to contacts
Hi Further to a previous question, I am wondering if i can convert a large list of emails to contacts. I have tried dragging the emails to contacts, but they just convert to one contact. Using office 2003 . thanks tim Hi Tim, you could try our freeware addins for Outlook: Public Mail 2 Contact for Outlook (freeware) Public Mail 2 Contact is a freeware addin for Outlook It generates Outlook contacts from existing e-mails and verifies whether the e-mail-address does already exist as contact in Outlook. http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-mail-to-contact.html also availa...

CRM for Outlook Contacts
Our sales team gets contacts from their clients via .vcf files, Plaxo, Spoke, etc. These all end up being standard Outlook Contacts. Converting them to CRM contacts is not easy. I have tried some utilities that change the message class, but it's hard ot explain that process to a sales professional. Is there a way to promote a contact to CRM??? V2 maybe? I would very much like to do this as well. Does anyone know if this capability will be in the next version? I've heard it was delayed until the fourth quarter. "Dave Finlay" wrote: > Our sales team gets con...

I lost all my contacts in Microsoft outlook and I can't get them
All my contacts from Microsoft outlook all of a sudden disappeared and I can't find them. I also can't hot sync outlook with my PDA anymore You are definitely in the wrong place, go here and find an Outlook group. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "sinthea" <sinthea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FA414E0-1B93-45F4-964B-D193BA18344D@microsoft.com... > All my contacts from Microsoft outlook all of a sudden disappear...

External contacts in Exchange 2010
Hi, I am importing a lot of contact from a db to an OU in active directory. To create the new contacts I am using cmdlet New-MailContact from Exchange Management Shell. Unfortunately many contacts have the same e-mail address (it is right!!) then the command got the error: The proxy address "SMTP:info@xxxxxxx.it" is already being used by "xxxxxxx.it/CustomOU". Please choose another proxy address. + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (xxxxxxx.it/R...Firstname Lastname:ADObjectId) [New-MailContact], ProxyAdd ressExistsException + FullyQual...

Email merge to muliple contacts no ability to attach a file
If we do a mail merge to multiple contacts the merge process which utilises Word doesn't allow us to attach a file. At least 50% of our email communications to our marketing lists require attached files to the emails. We have to create a spreadsheet of the view and save the email address which we paste into an Outlook email then attach the file and send. This by-passes the history record against the contact. Can this be fixed ? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, cl...

Outlook Contacts can not use my address book
I have the same problem as "frustrated" posted on 5/11/10. I am using Outlook 2007 and used our home network to import my outlook contacts/ emails onto my brand new laptop from an old desktop using outlook 2003. Is there really not a fix for this and I have to re-enter my contacts in the address book to use "to, cc, bcc or distibution lists"? Here is "frustrated" issue ( and mine): When I click "To" I do not see my contacts like I used to. I right clicked on contacts, properties and the box all of the forums said to check was greyed out....

MSN crashes when initiate conversation with contacts
My msn will automatically crashed down when I click on my friend's msn. It did not happen to all my contacts but only apply to certain of them. However these few people is very important for me to get in touch with them so I have to get this thing solved. I had reinstalled MSN and it just not working at all. Using XP and latest MSN. HELP PLEASE! Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Slipstreaming and Unattended Windows Media Creation http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6c050f8f-9b74-4fce-bdbe-4f37a6bdfdc5/slipstreaming-and-unatten.aspx ...

lookup on Outlook contacts
I want to have a ceel with in a worksheet that users type in a name an excel does alookup on my Outlook contacts and returns the email addres is this possible -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Exporting contacts and messages From Outlook into Outlook Express
Hi, My friend ask me if exist any way to export contacts and messages in that way and don't losing anything from his resources. .. Regards -- Przemys�aw Staniszewski No, you would need to import from OE. -- Milly Staples - [MVP Outlook] Post all replies to the news group. Unsolicited mail sent to my personal address will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Przemys�aw Staniszewski <ihi.marzyciel@wp.pl> asked: | Hi, | | My friend ask me if exist any way to export contacts and messages in | that way and don't losing anything from his resources. | ...

Getting Contacts from CRM with Word VBA
Hi, I am new to Microsoft CRM, so I don't know if this is possible. Is there a way to get Contacts from Microsoft CRM from Word VBA? If so, do I need DLL's or do I need to get into the SQL Server database to get them? The best method would be to kinda ask CRM for what I want, and it gives it to me. Any pointers? Ronald You may wish to review the "Information Bridge Framework"..... The Microsoft Office Information Bridge Framework for Microsoft CRM connects Microsoft Office with Microsoft Business Solutions CRM using compatible Web services. By using the Information B...

problem with contacts on sfo
Hi, I have installed SFO and now all is well (thanx for your help)except contacts: MS CRM contact records are not created as Microsoft Outlook Contacts the user is a member of the Local Administrator's group MS CRM 1.2 win server 2003 You have to synchronize for the contacts in Outlook and CRM to synch up........ in SFO, click tools >> synchronize -Gary "neto" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:c08f01c47a31$bb0e4fc0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have installed SFO and now all is well (thanx for your > help)except conta...

Contacts File As
Hello, I have the Files As for my contacts set to First Name Last Name in the Options. when I create a new contact, Outlook correctly files the new contact by first name. when I import contacts from a text file Outlook sets the File As to Last Name, First Name. is there a way to change this to First Name Last Name during the import? I did not see a way to change it during the import steps. thanks, Michael No. Those settings will not be applied when you import Contacts. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Michael Lindekugel" <michael@lindekugel.com> wrote in message ne...

Mail Formatting Gone from the Contacts Setup
I have just started using Windows mail on my laptop and wanted to set up certain accounts so that when I send from them to certain email addresses I send as 'Plain Text'. There used to be a tick box on the old OE Add Contact window, but it's disappeared with Wondows Mail. Is there a way of setting this up? If so, how? Any help gratefully appreciated. You might want to check in the appropriate *Windows* newsgroup - one without ..mac. in its name:-) Start here for the right Windows Vista group: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx HTH |:>...