Problem prefixing lines with >in original message

Using Outlook 2007, Vista Home Premium SP2, HP DV6500 Notebook

When I select Go>News, Windows Mail is now used where previoius versions =
of Windows have used Outlook Express.=20

When replying to newsgroup messages using freenews.netfront.net or =
news.aioe.org, the repeated original message lines are not prefixed with =
the > symbol, despite options being set to do this. When using Microsoft =
Communities, the prefix is added. This seems to be a problem that has =
started recently despite my not having knowingly changed any settings.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Dave S.

0
Dave

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:31:22 -0000, Dave S. wrote:

> Using Outlook 2007, Vista Home Premium SP2, HP DV6500 Notebook
>
> When I select Go>News, Windows Mail is now used where previoius versions of Windows have used Outlook Express.
>
> When replying to newsgroup messages using freenews.netfront.net or news.aioe.org, the repeated original message lines are not prefixed with the > symbol, despite options being set to do this. When using Microsoft Communities, the prefix is added. This seems to be a problem that has started recently despite my not having knowingly changed any settings.
>
> Any help appreciated.

I don't really know much about Windows Mail, the client which ships with
Windows Vista. I only had access to one computer with Windows Vista; but
that has since been updated to Windows 7.

What I do know is the Windows Mail experts hang out here:

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

OTOH, if you have a Windows Live Mail question, I might have an answer for
you. This group has the expertise for this mail agent:

Windows Live Mail Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.0726)

You are using mail agent:

Windows Mail 6.0.6002.18005

Windows Mail is as different from Windows Live Mail as either is from MS
Outlook Express.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"Dave S." <somewhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:evAbNH6sKHA.6004@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Using Outlook 2007, Vista Home Premium SP2, HP DV6500 Notebook
>
> When I select Go>News, Windows Mail is now used where previoius versions of Windows have used Outlook Express.
>
> When replying to newsgroup messages using freenews.netfront.net or news.aioe.org, the repeated original message lines are not
> prefixed with the > symbol, despite options being set to do this. When using Microsoft Communities, the prefix is added. This
> seems to be a problem that has started recently despite my not having knowingly changed any settings.
>
> Any help appreciated.
> Thanks
> Dave S.

0
winston
2/22/2010 6:29:56 PM
Windows Mail is unable to prefix quoted lines with the > symbol
if the original message was composed with the MIME-QP (Quoted
Printable) format. That shortcoming has been fixed in the current
version of Windows Live Mail.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message =
> Cross posted to Vista Windows Mail newsgroup.
>=20
> --=20
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>=20
> "Dave S." <somewhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message =
>> Using Outlook 2007, Vista Home Premium SP2, HP DV6500 Notebook
>>
>> When I select Go>News, Windows Mail is now used where previoius =
versions of Windows have used Outlook Express.

>> When replying to newsgroup messages using freenews.netfront.net or =
news.aioe.org, the repeated original message lines are not=20
>> prefixed with the > symbol, despite options being set to do this. =
When using Microsoft Communities, the prefix is added. This=20
>> seems to be a problem that has started recently despite my not having =
knowingly changed any settings.

>> Any help appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Dave S.

0
Gary
2/22/2010 6:52:48 PM
"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message =
Windows Mail is unable to prefix quoted lines with the > symbol
if the original message was composed with the MIME-QP (Quoted
Printable) format. That shortcoming has been fixed in the current
version of Windows Live Mail.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Thanks for the information. I've tried updating my version of Windows =
Live Mail, but the response I get says that I've already got this =
programme. Despite that some messages still do not get the > prefix. =
What is the latest version of WLM, or am I totally misunderstanding =
this?

Cheers
Dave S.
0
Dave
2/23/2010 5:38:09 PM
Latest WLM = 14.0.8089.0726

> "Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Windows Mail is unable to prefix quoted lines with the > symbol
> if the original message was composed with the MIME-QP (Quoted
> Printable) format. That shortcoming has been fixed in the current
> version of Windows Live Mail.

> Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> Thanks for the information. I've tried updating my version of Windows Live
> Mail, but the response I get says that I've already got this programme.
> Despite that some messages still do not get the > prefix. What is the
> latest version of WLM, or am I totally misunderstanding this?
>
> Cheers
> Dave S.

0
slk759
2/23/2010 5:44:43 PM
The headers of your post say you are posting with Windows Mail,
not Windows Live Mail.

Note that your quoted message (immediately below) is not being indented
with the > character. That is because you posted using the 'Quoted =
Printable'
format, and I am responding via Windows Mail.

If you do indeed have Windows Live Mail but for some reason aren't=20
posting to this newsgroup with it, try the "Complete =
Uninstall/Reinstall"
procedure outlined here:
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry

[...]

2/23/2010 6:10:05 PM
How are you getting in to the email program? You are somehow executing
executing Microsoft Windows Mail, so it seems obvious to me that you just
need to figure out where Windows Live Mail is at in your system.

0
Sam
2/24/2010 12:12:54 AM
"Sam Hobbs" <Gateremovethis@SamHobbs.org> wrote in message
> How are you getting in to the email program? You are somehow executing
> executing Microsoft Windows Mail, so it seems obvious to me that you just
> need to figure out where Windows Live Mail is at in your system.

I use Outlook 2007, and select Go > News, which opens up Windows Mail. I
can't find Windows Live Mail, though when I try to download it, the
downloader says I've already got it.

By the way, your message was automatically prefixed with >, but not all are.

I'm beginning to think I should stop trying to sort this out. Life's too
short!!

Dave S.

0
Dave
2/24/2010 11:19:54 PM
> "Sam Hobbs" <Gateremovethis@SamHobbs.org> wrote in message
>> How are you getting in to the email program? You are somehow executing
>> executing Microsoft Windows Mail, so it seems obvious to me that you just
>> need to figure out where Windows Live Mail is at in your system.
>

> I use Outlook 2007, and select Go > News, which opens up Windows Mail. I
> can't find Windows Live Mail, though when I try to download it, the
> downloader says I've already got it.
>
> By the way, your message was automatically prefixed with >, but not all
> are.
>
> I'm beginning to think I should stop trying to sort this out. Life's too
> short!!
>
> Dave S.

Every Program that is installed appears on the all programs list accessed
from the Start button.

The Default mail program needs to be defined at start menu, or Control
Panel>default programs>set your default programs, take your pick of what is
on offer.

Outlook 2007 does not have a newsreader, it will use your default
newsreader.

This is the wrong newsgroup for Outlook 2007.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

0
mac
2/25/2010 1:22:24 AM
There are several places you can verify the presence of Windows Live =
Mail.

a) Via the Start menu: Start, All Programs, Windows Live, Windows Live =
Mail.
b) Via Windows Explorer: look for C:\Program File\Windows Live\Mail\.
c) Via Control Panel: Programs and Features, look for Windows Live =
Essentials.
d) Finally, go to the Default Programs applet, which you can access =
either=20
from the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item:
"Set your default programs."
After a few seconds, a list of programs comes up. Is "Windows Live Mail =
(News)
listed there? If yes, click on it if you want to make it the default =
newsgroups=20
handler. If it doesn't respond with "This program has all its defaults"
then fix it by clicking on the option indicated by the first green =
arrow.=20
=20
Frankly, I would not switch to Windows Live Mail as your default =
newsgroups
handler if your only problem with it was the failure to indent certain =
posts
with the > character.  In my opinion, the news module in Windows Mail is
more stable than the one in Windows Live Mail.
--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Dave S." <somewhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message =
> "Sam Hobbs" <Gateremovethis@SamHobbs.org> wrote in message=20
>> How are you getting in to the email program? You are somehow =
executing=20
>> executing Microsoft Windows Mail, so it seems obvious to me that you =
just=20
>> need to figure out where Windows Live Mail is at in your system.
>=20
>=20
> I use Outlook 2007, and select Go > News, which opens up Windows Mail. =
I=20
> can't find Windows Live Mail, though when I try to download it, the=20
> downloader says I've already got it.
>=20
> By the way, your message was automatically prefixed with >, but not =
all are.
>=20
> I'm beginning to think I should stop trying to sort this out. Life's =
too=20
> short!!
>=20
> Dave S.=20

0
Gary
2/25/2010 1:46:02 AM
"Dave S." <somewhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> "Sam Hobbs" <Gateremovethis@SamHobbs.org> wrote in message
>> How are you getting in to the email program? You are somehow executing
>> executing Microsoft Windows Mail, so it seems obvious to me that you just
>> need to figure out where Windows Live Mail is at in your system.
>

> I use Outlook 2007, and select Go > News, which opens up Windows Mail. I
> can't find Windows Live Mail, though when I try to download it, the
> downloader says I've already got it.
>
> By the way, your message was automatically prefixed with >, but not all
> are.
>
> I'm beginning to think I should stop trying to sort this out. Life's too
> short!!

A few days ago, Gary VanderMole explained why some messages don't get the
">" for text from the message being replied to.

0
Sam

Isinteg Warning Message Question

Problems with creating a newsletter

CSV File Problem

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

Month problem

Rounding Problem

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Messages Cut off
A recipient receives forwarded mail messages that are cut off in random locations throughout the email. Outlook 2000 with latest SP. Any ideas? ...

Outlook Hangs Reading Messages

shortcut with command line switch probs
Hello, I have a shortcut set up which has the target declared as: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" / "\\path_to_file\myfile.xlt" This works fine on my PC. Excel 2000 running on Windows XP. Unfortunately it doesnt work on someone elses PC, who asked for m help! They have the same software set up, and access to the same folde path. When they try to run the shortcut, a window opens and closes almos immediately. Help?! : -- soloto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- solotoo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/m...

Interface not registered message

outlook 2k2 problem

Offline folder problems #2

OLK 2k7

Mother of a sumproduct (ish) problem!

Duplicate Messages

Ctrl+D not working on outlook messages

Forwarded messages are not being sent

Hyperlink problem #3

Problem with Database Wizard

Controlling NDR's sent to Originator
Hi, I have a scenario: An Exchange2k User sets up an Auto Forward Rule to forward all inbound mail to a personal email account. This person recieves email into his Inbox and the Rule fires off forwarding the email to their personal account. His personal account is not reachable and Exchange sends a NDR to the original sender. Example: Step 1: john23@example.com sends email to corpuser7@corp14.com Step 2: corpuser7@corp14.com has an Inbox rule that forwards this email to his personal account at homeacct@isporg.com Step 3: exchangeserver.corp14.com recieves an NDR from pubmailer.isporg.c...