PDF attachments 06-21-10

I cannot open a PDF attachment directly from WLM. If I save it to my desktop
then I can open it.
Is that just the way it is?
PDF attachments in OE6 used to work.
I am running Vista.

Help!

Ed

0
Ed

This fix only mentions Windows Mail but it should apply equally to
Windows Live Mail :

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/236/1/Unable-to-open-PDF-attachments-from-Windows-Mail.html

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Ed Ahern"  wrote in message news:e33LaPOELHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

I cannot open a PDF attachment directly from WLM. If I save it to my desktop
then I can open it.
Is that just the way it is?
PDF attachments in OE6 used to work.
I am running Vista.

Help!

Ed

0
Gary
6/21/2010 4:05:54 AM
Gary, I downloaded
"http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/236/1/Unable-to-open-PDF-attachments-from-Windows-Mail.html"
I followed the directions.
It did not solve the problem, so instead of having a third party delete .pdf
assoc. from my registry I did the following:

ran regedit.exe
went to associations and deleted .pdf and all subs.
closed regedit
right clicked on Adobe reader 9.3
left clicked on "run as administrator" (got that from winhelponline.com)
left click on help
left click on "repair acrobat reader"
opened WML
went to e-mail with an attachment (.pdf)
it opened right up after normal prompt.
Also worked for my copy of Windows Mail
Thank you Gary, you may want to file this one away

Ed

"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> This fix only mentions Windows Mail but it should apply equally to
> Windows Live Mail :
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/236/1/Unable-to-open-PDF-attachments-from-Windows-Mail.html
>
> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
>

> "Ed Ahern"  wrote in message news:e33LaPOELHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> I cannot open a PDF attachment directly from WLM. If I save it to my
> desktop
> then I can open it.
> Is that just the way it is?
> PDF attachments in OE6 used to work.
> I am running Vista.
>
> Help!
>
> Ed

0
Ed
6/21/2010 7:47:40 PM
You're very welcome. Thanks for your feedback.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Ed Ahern"  wrote in message news:#asGiqXELHA.4068@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

Gary, I downloaded
"http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/236/1/Unable-to-open-PDF-attachments-from-Windows-Mail.html"
I followed the directions.
It did not solve the problem, so instead of having a third party delete .pdf
assoc. from my registry I did the following:

ran regedit.exe
went to associations and deleted .pdf and all subs.
closed regedit
right clicked on Adobe reader 9.3
left clicked on "run as administrator" (got that from winhelponline.com)
left click on help
left click on "repair acrobat reader"
opened WML
went to e-mail with an attachment (.pdf)
it opened right up after normal prompt.
Also worked for my copy of Windows Mail
Thank you Gary, you may want to file this one away

Ed

"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> This fix only mentions Windows Mail but it should apply equally to
> Windows Live Mail :
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/236/1/Unable-to-open-PDF-attachments-from-Windows-Mail.html
>
> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
>

> "Ed Ahern"  wrote in message news:e33LaPOELHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> I cannot open a PDF attachment directly from WLM. If I save it to my desktop
> then I can open it.
> Is that just the way it is?
> PDF attachments in OE6 used to work.
> I am running Vista.
>
> Help!
>
> Ed

0
Gary

Email attachments #16
I am currently experiencing an Outlook problem where any email attachment I add is automatically compressed into a zip file. I attach WORD documents or PDF files and the recipients receive these files as a .zip file. It has to be a preference problem, but I can't find a way to stop this automatic zipping of files. These same documents can be sent by others using Outlook 2000 without a problem. Has anyone encountered this problem before. thanks You have an add-in installed that does this like attachment compressor as this is not a native function of Outlook. -- Robert Sparnaa...

extract all attachments
Hi I am looking for a freeware soltuion to extracting all attachements from outlook2003 and replacing with a link to the file. WoodyUK See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/housekeeping.htm and the code samples at: http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=70 http://www.slovaktech.com/code_samples.htm#StripAttachments -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "woodyuk" <woodyuk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1108897893.566...

Document map 05-12-10
The document map for one of my documents has stopped displaying headings from the beginning of the document and instead displays headings from a point within it. The headings that aren't displayed are correctly formatted as Level 1. And I've entered and exited Outline view, with, unfortunately, no benefit. What might the solution be please? Are the headings that are shown the document map in the same style? If so, try reapplying the style to the headings that are not showing up. If not, make sure that it is the paragraph outline level that you have set to 1 (& if it ...

attachments shown for all incoming mail
All of a sudden I am now showing all incoming mail with an attachment when there actually is none. Any ideas? ...

AOL IMAP account
I have set up AOL email account as IMAP type and keep getting pop up in outlook " your IMAP server wants to alert you the following: Can't read attachment for message 6438. this pops up for many times and each time the number is different. new profile same issue. Office Version:Office 2007 Operating System:Windows Vista / Windows 7 - same issue. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd still be sufficiently p...

Problems opening/saving attachments
I am unable to open or save any .rtf file attachments - this started happening today, previously there were no problems with .rtf files. When I try to open such an attachment I get this message: Can't create file: xyz.rtf Right click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder. What folder is this? I am trying to open the attachment not creat the file! Also, when I try to send an rtf file as an attachment, in the email message the file does not show in the attachments section but the receipient actu...

Need help on a formula 05-20-10

Subform question 04-09-10
I have a form (Form1) that contains a subform (Subform1). Within this subform I have a combo box which, depending on what is chosen, pops up another form (Popup1)for additional information. I need this additional information in the form that pops up to be 'linked' with the subform. The problem I am running into is that when the user enters information in Popup1, the table has not been populated witht he data that is in the subform so there is no record to 'link' to. What is the best way to force te esubform to pass its information to the table? Thanks i...

Outlook saves image attachment as bitmap
Hi. I have Outlook 2003 running on Windows XP. When I save an image attachments, it only allows me to save it as bitmap. Before, it used to let me choose between bitmap & jpeg. I found an article on Microsoft's website, but it only pertains to Internet Explorer (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810978#appliesto). I did it anyways, but it didn't correct my problem. Thanx in advance, Candee ...

sending mail 05-20-10
The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'michael.porth@bafin.be'. Subject 'Hello', Account: 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com', Protocol: SMT...

Upgrade GP 9.0 SP2 to GP 10.0 Advice
Hi, We are planning our upgrade of GP9.0 SP2 to GP10.0. We are running SQL 2000 and would like to also upgrade to SQL 2005. I am using the following url (and read some threads on this forum): https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/knowledgebase/hottopics/hot_topic_updatingmicrosoftdynamicsgp10.htm?printpage=false (page: Updating to Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0) The chart Microsoft provides says I can go from 9.00.0281 (which is SP2) to 10.0 or any patch install. What does "any patch install" mean? Does this mean I can't go directly to 10.0 Feature Pack 1? Would i...

grayscale autoshape changes to color when converting to PDF
When converting from Microsoft Publisher 2007 to Adobe Acrobat 8.0 PDF, the autoshape picture that we changed to grayscale changes back to color when reviewing the created PDF. Are you setting Acrobat to print in black and white? Select the PDF printer, properties, paper/quality tab. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CDJ" <CDJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BE9EE01-97DB-4AB6-BD9C-25E27E0BB68D@microsoft.com... > When converting from Microsoft Publisher 2007 to Adobe Acrobat 8.0 P...

Outlook changing PDF extention to PDF=
I have a client that uses Outlook 2000 for e-mail. About a week ago, she started complaining that everyone that she sent PDFs (Ex. Document.pdf) that they were receiving PDF= (Ex. Docuement.pdf=). This is only happening with PDF files, not word documents or anything else. I have tried to change the outgoing mail server, but that made no difference. Is there something in Outlook that can be causing this? is she using RTF formatted messages? Antivirus or antispam scanners on outgoing email? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2...

in Publisher I want to merge/send email with multiple attachments
Using Publisher 2007 I know how to do a merge and then email out from a list. Publisher gives the option to attach multiple attachments to the email but when the send actually goes out it only carries the first of the attachments and discards the others. Is there a trick to making multiple attachments stay attached? or is this a bug... Thanks to anyone who can clear this up.. Rust Gilbert Rust, Since you already know how to do email merges in Publisher 2007, you're probably the ideal person to answer my question...I have been trying to do an email merge using an existing publis...

Attachment File Problem
hi my problem is , when i attachment any file to the new mail i can't attachment the file whyyyyyyyyyy i mean when we attachment any file to the mail must be automatic open new filed where it show us the attachnebt file ?????? but it's not happend in my system second problem when i recive any mail whit attachment file it gave me the message "OE REMOVED ACCESS TO THE FOLLOWING UNSAFE ATTACHMENTSIN YOUR MAIL" HELP Pls. thank's You'll need to be a lot more specific if you expect anyone to know what you're talking about - exact error message is? Post it in t...

attachements
I just moved from Outlook Express to Outlook and lost the capability to see attached pictures within the body of the message. Is there anyway to turn this back on so you don't have to physically open each attachement? No there isn't any way, Outlook will only show pictures that are embedded "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:128e101c3f620$1710f700$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just moved from Outlook Express to Outlook and lost the > capability to see attached pictures within the body of > the message. Is there anyway to turn thi...

Can I embed or link multiple .pdf files into or to an excel file?
I would like to link .pdf files to an excel file. Within my excel file I would like to have a column that has file names in it. Then have excel link those files to the excel file so when I print the excel file all the linked files print along with it. use hyper link "GrubbyG" wrote: > I would like to link .pdf files to an excel file. Within my excel file I > would like to have a column that has file names in it. Then have excel link > those files to the excel file so when I print the excel file all the linked > files print along with it. ...

Export PDF information into Microsoft Excel
What do you do with your data that's stuck in your PDF forms? FDF Decoder from Spotted Dingo Inc., gives you the ability to quickly turn your useless PDF information into a data mine of valuable information. FDF Decoder is a desktop application which creates csv files from your pdf interactive forms (acroforms) in individual or batch file mode. You then can easily import your information into Microsoft Excel to create intelligent spread sheets which can then be entered into databases and aid you in your statistical analysis. FDF Decoder works with the PDF's exported Form Data (FDF...

PDF attachments 06-21-10
I cannot open a PDF attachment directly from WLM. If I save it to my desktop then I can open it. Is that just the way it is? PDF attachments in OE6 used to work. I am running Vista. Help! Ed This fix only mentions Windows Mail but it should apply equally to Windows Live Mail : http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/236/1/Unable-to-open-PDF-attachments-from-Windows-Mail.html Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Ed Ahern" wrote in message news:e33LaPOELHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... I cannot open a PDF attachment directly from WLM. If I save it to my ...

Nested if 10 / Vlookup Therapist
I am working on a Scheduling program for a counseling center. Thi center has 10 + therapists and 20 + clients. The plan is for th manager to only have to enter the clients name into the therapist page and to have the therapists name auto populate into the clients page. can get this to work fine with 7 therapists (the limit for nested i statements) but I cannot figure out how to get vlookup or any othe function to work. ohh by the way the or() statements are used because there are possibilities for the clients name to be entere (CLIENT/CLIENTc/CLIENTp) Code ------------------- =(IF...

After update 10-31-07
I'm using an After Update event on a form to update one field with the current date when a checkbox is checked, but the date doesn't display until I scroll down the form. Is there some way to get the date to display right after the box is checked (or at least once the next record is selected)? Thanks, Tom -- Thanks, Tom Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200710/1 Sounds like you have a control that has a Name that is different from the name of the date field. In the AfterUpdate code, use the name of the control,...

Retrieve blocked attachments?
I have Outlook 2002 and it keeps blocking attachments. The message size indicates that the file is there but how can I retrieve it? Where is the setting to turn this feature off? Thank yous It is a registry key setting; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/blockedattachments.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "tiki2k" <tiki2k@home.not> wrote in message news:esLBUlSZEHA.2908@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >I have Outlook 2002 and it keeps blocking attac...

Word document attachment can not be read
We are using Office XP SP3 and Exchange 2000 with SP3. Some of our users will send Word documents as attachments in an email from Outlook that when you open the attachment, word goes into file conversion because it can't read the document. Typically, they send it again and it opens fine. Sometimes it has taken two or three tries. It is random and inconsistent. I have not been able to duplicate it. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks. ...

How do I keep Outlook from downloading messages with attachments?
I use Outlook with dial-up and I'm trying to generate a rule that notifies me of large (>1MB) attachments before it begins downloading them. However, all rules by default seem to apply "after message arrives," i.e. when it's too late. Any suggestions? OL rules apply after download. Use web access for your ISP to view mail, or mailwasher eg Whether your ISP has any rules/options may be an option. "DRRALF" <DRRALF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40BA86BD-A57B-462B-894A-F460B4F15727@microsoft.com... > I use Outlook with dial-up and I&#...

Converting Access 97 to Access 2003 10-14-05
This is my first conversion. Can anyone offer tips on the easiest and safest way to convert a multi user database which was developed in Access 97 to Access 2003? You can try opening A2003, and before opening any database, choose: Tools | Database Utilities | Convert Database. If you run into problems, see: Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003 at: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-48.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Jane...