How to update contacts in WLM via csv file?

I have nearly 2,000 email addresses in my contacts list.  I managed to get
WLM to list them, although I do notice some are missing.   Now, I want to
update them with new/revised contacts through a new cvs file, which I
exported from OE.   However, the contacts import program just hangs and
doesn't take.

Do I need to delete the existing list first?  If so, how do I do that?

I am using WLM v.2009 Build 14.0.8 on Windows 7

Are you logging in to Live services?  It will say your profile name under
the close X.
--
Ron Sommer

"Bumper21248"  wrote in message

I have nearly 2,000 email addresses in my contacts list.  I managed to get
WLM to list them, although I do notice some are missing.   Now, I want to
update them with new/revised contacts through a new cvs file, which I
exported from OE.   However, the contacts import program just hangs and
doesn't take.

Do I need to delete the existing list first?  If so, how do I do that?

I am using WLM v.2009 Build 14.0.8 on Windows 7

0
Ron
6/27/2010 11:56:42 AM
If the CSV contains contacts that you already loaded, you'll want to
delete them either in the CSV or WLM or else you'll end up with 2,000
duplicates.

You delete  them in the WLM the way you delete most things, highlight
the desired ones and press the Delete key, click Delete button or right
click and select Delete

The standard way to select multiple objects in Windows is do one or more
of the following:
 - Use menu item Edit, Select All (or Ctrl-A) to select all objects
 - Left click the first object in a range, then hold the Shift key while
left clicking the last object in a range to select the entire range
 - Hold the Ctrl key while left clicking an object to add or remove it
from the selected items (this is a select toggle)

Some people have reported that updating from a large CSV file can be
very slow.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Bumper21248" <Bumper21248@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have nearly 2,000 email addresses in my contacts list.  I managed to
> get
> WLM to list them, although I do notice some are missing.   Now, I want
> update them with new/revised contacts through a new cvs file, which I
> exported from OE.   However, the contacts import program just hangs
> and
> doesn't take.
>
> Do I need to delete the existing list first?  If so, how do I do that?
>
> I am using WLM v.2009 Build 14.0.8 on Windows 7

-1
Michael
6/27/2010 5:19:37 PM
The people responding here don't understand the problem.  WLM is painfully
slow when importing CSV contacts.  I have 30 contacts listed in a CSV I am
trying to import, and the only thing in the list are email addresses -- not
even names or addresses, so the mapping is simple.  This is a flaw in WLM and
that's all there is to it.

See http://www.windowslivetaskforce.com/view/184 for more discussion of this
flaw.

"Bumper21248" wrote:

> I have nearly 2,000 email addresses in my contacts list.  I managed to get
> WLM to list them, although I do notice some are missing.   Now, I want to
> update them with new/revised contacts through a new cvs file, which I
> exported from OE.   However, the contacts import program just hangs and
> doesn't take.
>
> Do I need to delete the existing list first?  If so, how do I do that?
>
> I am using WLM v.2009 Build 14.0.8 on Windows 7
I import contact csv's containing 200-500 records using the Live web
interface. It is very fast. If your csv is not perfectly formed the import
can get stuck.

Before I import a csv file, I export a small sample of records from the app
I'm using (in your case WLM), so I can see the app's csv structure and field
naming convention. I then use a copy of the exported file as my template to
create an import file.

In your situation, I would paste the data from the 30 contacts into the
exported file (via MS Excel or OpenOffice Calc), deleting all but the first
record from the originally exported file (you can delete this duplicate
after importing). Save, close, and import the new csv via the web interface.

Before you do, open both the original export file and the one you created in
Notepad, and examine the commas and quote marks... their pattern should be
preserved among your new entries.

Good luck

"ruek" <ruek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The people responding here don't understand the problem.  WLM is painfully
> slow when importing CSV contacts.  I have 30 contacts listed in a CSV I am
> trying to import, and the only thing in the list are email addresses --
> not
> even names or addresses, so the mapping is simple.  This is a flaw in WLM
> and
> that's all there is to it.
>
> See http://www.windowslivetaskforce.com/view/184 for more discussion of
> this
> flaw.
>
> "Bumper21248" wrote:
>
>> I have nearly 2,000 email addresses in my contacts list.  I managed to
>> get
>> WLM to list them, although I do notice some are missing.   Now, I want to
>> update them with new/revised contacts through a new cvs file, which I
>> exported from OE.   However, the contacts import program just hangs and
>> doesn't take.
>>
>> Do I need to delete the existing list first?  If so, how do I do that?
>>
>> I am using WLM v.2009 Build 14.0.8 on Windows 7

0
Magnus
9/8/2010 3:02:32 AM
Check your CSV file for data continuity problems(one row per record) or =
special characters

I've a few test csv files for questions like these. Those csv files were =
created in WLM, OE and Vista/Win7 Users Contacts folder.=20
Each have over 100 contacts with multiple data fields intact. Importing =
those into WLM 2009 and 2011 beta into a Live ID in=20
WLM(with and without any contacts) or  WLM default mode(No Live ID =
signon)takes less than a few minutes. If I wipe out all data=20
except email address and the name fields..even faster.

Fyi.. your reference is from May 2009. Two RTW versions have been =
released since. If your slowness problem lies with WLM 2009(we=20
can't tell you posted from the web UI)...wysiwg..No further updates are =
planned for the 2009 version.  If not at least using the=20
current 2009 version(14.0.8117.416), updating is in order since that =
version came with a new contacts.msi file.

...winston

"Bumper21248" wrote:

> I have nearly 2,000 email addresses in my contacts list.  I managed to =
get
> WLM to list them, although I do notice some are missing.   Now, I want =
> update them with new/revised contacts through a new cvs file, which I
> exported from OE.   However, the contacts import program just hangs =
and
> doesn't take.
>
> Do I need to delete the existing list first?  If so, how do I do that?
>
> I am using WLM v.2009 Build 14.0.8 on Windows 7=20

0
winston