How To Open OE6 .eml File Extension Emails With WLM

Hi:

  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with WLM?

  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
emails.

Thanks,

ColTom2

0
ColTom2

Just double-click on the .eml file.

--
Windows 7  Ultimate
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with WLM?
>
>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
> emails.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

0
Dave
11/20/2009 12:03:19 AM
I have doubled clicked on the file and I get an Error Notice saying that
Windows can't open this file. It's asking me to select a program to open the
file. If WLM can't open it then what installed program can?

Or do I have to get another program installed to open it with? If so, what
program?

Thanks,

ColTom2

"Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
Just double-click on the .eml file.

--
Windows 7  Ultimate
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
http://download.live.com/wlmail

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with WLM?
>
>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
> emails.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

0
ColTom2
11/20/2009 1:03:51 AM
I probably should have included I am running Win 7 Home Premium with WLM.

I have doubled clicked on the file and I get an Error Notice saying that
Windows can't open this file. It's asking me to select a program to open the
file. If WLM can't open it then what installed program can?

Or do I have to get another program installed to open it with? If so, what
program?

Thanks,

ColTom2

"Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
Just double-click on the .eml file.

--
Windows 7  Ultimate
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
http://download.live.com/wlmail

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with WLM?
>
>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
> emails.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

0
ColTom2
11/20/2009 1:16:01 AM
What happens when you try? Is WLMail set as default?

Close WLMail. Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and
Defaults | Custom + Down Arrow | Select the radio button for Windows Live
Mail.
--

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]

> Hi:
>
>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with WLM?
>
>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
> emails.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

0
Bruce
11/20/2009 1:21:04 AM
Hi Bruce:

  I am running WLM in Win 7. Your instructions I am sure they basically
apply to XP OS with WLM installed.

  However, there were no problems in accomplishing what you indicated other
than a different avenue to access them. In Win 7 I go directly from
Start>Default Programs>Set Program Access and Defaults | Custom + Down Arrow
| Select the radio button for Windows Live Mail. It shows a window saying
that it is making WLM as Default and I click OK. But when I go back to see
if change was applied it still shows the check by "Use my current e-mail
program" and the check is not beside WLM. I suppose it's not taking the
change because WLM is in fact the default email program in Win 7. At least
this is the only reason that I can think of.

  This  of course still leaves me with the problem of not being able to open
..eml files. When I go to Start>Default Programs>Associate a file type or
protocol with a program the file extension .eml is not even listed.

  So I am back to square one.....

Hopefully you can come up with an answer.

Thanks,

ColTom2

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
What happens when you try? Is WLMail set as default?

Close WLMail. Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and
Defaults | Custom + Down Arrow | Select the radio button for Windows Live
Mail.
--

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]
          Imperial Beach, CA

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with WLM?
>
>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
> emails.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

0
ColTom2
11/20/2009 2:11:04 AM
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:38:50 -0500, ColTom2 wrote:

>   How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with WLM?
>
>   Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
> emails.

So. You installed Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Home Premium. Any other
eamil clients installed?

In Windows 7 you can go to Start | Default Programs, and then set your
defaults there.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

WLM came installed with Win7 in Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop. I did not install
it and no other email applications are installed.

ColTom2

"N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:38:50 -0500, ColTom2 wrote:

>   How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
> WLM?
>
>   Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
> emails.

So. You installed Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Home Premium. Any other
eamil clients installed?

In Windows 7 you can go to Start | Default Programs, and then set your
defaults there.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

0
ColTom2
11/20/2009 2:38:49 AM
Make sure WLMail is closed when you make the change otherwise the setting
will not stick.
--

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]

> Hi Bruce:
>
>  I am running WLM in Win 7. Your instructions I am sure they basically
> apply to XP OS with WLM installed.
>
>  However, there were no problems in accomplishing what you indicated other
> than a different avenue to access them. In Win 7 I go directly from
> Start>Default Programs>Set Program Access and Defaults | Custom + Down
> Arrow
> | Select the radio button for Windows Live Mail. It shows a window saying
> that it is making WLM as Default and I click OK. But when I go back to see
> if change was applied it still shows the check by "Use my current e-mail
> program" and the check is not beside WLM. I suppose it's not taking the
> change because WLM is in fact the default email program in Win 7. At least
> this is the only reason that I can think of.
>
>  This  of course still leaves me with the problem of not being able to
> open
> .eml files. When I go to Start>Default Programs>Associate a file type or
> protocol with a program the file extension .eml is not even listed.
>
>  So I am back to square one.....
>
> Hopefully you can come up with an answer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2
>

> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> What happens when you try? Is WLMail set as default?
>
> Close WLMail. Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and
> Defaults | Custom + Down Arrow | Select the radio button for Windows Live
> Mail.
> --
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
>> WLM?
>>
>>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
>> emails.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ColTom2

0
Bruce
11/20/2009 2:41:59 AM
Hi Bruce:

  I rebooted computer and ran Task Manager just to be sure WLM was not open.
It did the same thing saying that it is setting WLM as default application,
but when I immediately reopen it still shows "Use my current e-mail
 program" . Again I think the reason it is not taking or sticking is that
WLM is already my default email application. I have tried everything I know,
but can't get it to retain the WLM setting.

Got any more rabbits up your sleeve....

Make sure WLMail is closed when you make the change otherwise the setting
will not stick.
--

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]
          Imperial Beach, CA

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Bruce:
>
>  I am running WLM in Win 7. Your instructions I am sure they basically
> apply to XP OS with WLM installed.
>
>  However, there were no problems in accomplishing what you indicated other
> than a different avenue to access them. In Win 7 I go directly from
> Start>Default Programs>Set Program Access and Defaults | Custom + Down
> Arrow
> | Select the radio button for Windows Live Mail. It shows a window saying
> that it is making WLM as Default and I click OK. But when I go back to see
> if change was applied it still shows the check by "Use my current e-mail
> program" and the check is not beside WLM. I suppose it's not taking the
> change because WLM is in fact the default email program in Win 7. At least
> this is the only reason that I can think of.
>
>  This  of course still leaves me with the problem of not being able to
> open
> .eml files. When I go to Start>Default Programs>Associate a file type or
> protocol with a program the file extension .eml is not even listed.
>
>  So I am back to square one.....
>
> Hopefully you can come up with an answer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2
>

> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> What happens when you try? Is WLMail set as default?
>
> Close WLMail. Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and
> Defaults | Custom + Down Arrow | Select the radio button for Windows Live
> Mail.
> --
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
>> WLM?
>>
>>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
>> emails.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ColTom2

0
ColTom2
11/20/2009 3:18:23 AM
1: Where are these eml files? Are they attachments to messages you imported
to WLMail?

2: Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs | Associate a file type or
protocol with a program. Scroll down to .eml. Is Windows Live Mail set as
the Current Default?
--

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]

> [...]
>>
>> Hopefully you can come up with an answer.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ColTom2
>>

>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> What happens when you try? Is WLMail set as default?
>>
>> Close WLMail. Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access
>> and
>> Defaults | Custom + Down Arrow | Select the radio button for Windows Live
>> Mail.
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
>>> WLM?
>>>
>>>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6

0
Bruce
11/20/2009 3:35:16 AM
Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
Select Windows Live Mail
Choose Defaults for this program

 - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message news:uSSrRqYaKHA.5852@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi Norman:
>
> WLM came installed with Win7 in Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop. I did not install
> it and no other email applications are installed.
>
> ColTom2
>

> "N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:38:50 -0500, ColTom2 wrote:
>
>>   How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
>> WLM?
>>
>>   Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
>> emails.
>
> So. You installed Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Home Premium. Any other
> eamil clients installed?
>
> In Windows 7 you can go to Start | Default Programs, and then set your
> defaults there.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

0
winston
11/20/2009 6:56:17 AM
The fact that "Set program access and computer defaults" reverts
back to "Use my current program" is not indicative of a problem.
That action is normal for both Vista and Windows 7.

Your primary problem appears to be that the file extension .eml=20
is not even listed in "Associate a file type or protocol".
Sorry, I don't have any ideas at the moment as to how to get that
file extension listed.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

> [...]
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ColTom2
>>

>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> What happens when you try? Is WLMail set as default?
>>
>> Close WLMail. Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program =
Access and
>> Defaults | Custom + Down Arrow | Select the radio button for Windows =
Live
>> Mail.
>> --=20
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml =
with
>>> WLM?
>>>
>>>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft =

0
Gary
11/20/2009 8:05:05 AM
I agree that this problem is almost the result of an incorrect
file association.  I'm sorry, but I don't know how to overcome
that particular problem in Win7.

However, looking at the problem from a different angle, I wonder
whether the following workaround might help.

1.    Open the folder on the OP's computer that contains the EML
files.

2.    Run WLMail.  Make sure that the folder window and the
WLMail window are visible at the same time.

3.    Drag the EML files into a storage folder in WLMail.

4.    Once the emails are in WLMail, double click on them to view
the messages.

"Gary VanderMolen (MS MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in
message news:OgYWrgbaKHA.4312@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>> change because WLM is in fact the default email program in
>>> Win 7. At least
>>> this is the only reason that I can think of.
>>>
>>>  This  of course still leaves me with the problem of not
>>> being able to
>>> open
>>> .eml files. When I go to Start>Default Programs>Associate a
>>> file type or
>>> protocol with a program the file extension .eml is not even
>>> listed.
>>>
>>>  So I am back to square one.....
>>>
>>> Hopefully you can come up with an answer.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> ColTom2
>>>

>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> What happens when you try? Is WLMail set as default?
>>>
>>> Close WLMail. Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set
>>> Program Access and
>>> Defaults | Custom + Down Arrow | Select the radio button for

0
Bob
11/20/2009 10:41:40 AM
"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message news:eUWxYAZaKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi Bruce:
>
>  I rebooted computer and ran Task Manager just to be sure WLM was not open.
> It did the same thing saying that it is setting WLM as default application,
> but when I immediately reopen it still shows "Use my current e-mail
> program" . Again I think the reason it is not taking or sticking is that
> WLM is already my default email application. I have tried everything I know,
> but can't get it to retain the WLM setting.

So you are definitely seeing an indication that the .msi file
is being run?

Looks like more security/obscurity from Vista and W7.  ; ]
After you re-registered  WLMail as your default mail client
see if it at least fixed the problem with mailto: and IE's
File, Send,  menu.   E.g.  are those Send by... commands
active in the menu or not?

Also, to check how much  WLMail  is currently associated
with, open a cmd window and enter this command pipeline:

    ftype  |  find  /I  "wlmail"

I guess you had also better enter this command too:

    assoc  .eml

and verify that whatever it shows actually has a file type
with an open action for it--so, hopefully one of the ones
that was listed in the output of the command pipeline.

BTW in the case of

<cmd_output>
E:\>assoc .eml
..eml=Microsoft Internet Mail Message
</cmd_output>

I find it is necessary to check the file type like this:

    ftype | findstr "Microsoft.Internet.Mail.Message"

I.e. use a regular expression which matches the (too long?)
file type name which has spaces in it.   YMMV.

Finally, are you doing all these Set Defaults commands
as a limited user or as an Administrator?  In any case
in order to work around security/obscurity I would at least
try right-click Run as Administrator at the last possible
point before you start executing the .msi file.
Even better I would try doing it in a safe mode
command only boot, logged in as Administrator.
Note that doing that might have the effect of preventing
any "security"  tools you might have running normally
which could also interfere with the normal effect of
the Set Defaults re-registration.  ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

0
Robert
11/20/2009 4:47:46 PM
Hi Bob:

  You hit the target as being the only way that I found to open Saved OE6
emails in a local folder with WLM. I had two local folders in XP that I had
saved OE6 emails into to remove them from OE6 and at the same time retain
them.

  I also have created additional local folders within WLM i.e. Saved Inbox
Mail and Saved Sent Items Mail and  by dragging the selected OE6 emails into
either of these folders I can then open them with no problem.

  What I do is when the local folders within OE6 or WLM build up I create
similar folders within My Documents and drag them into these folders and
then afterwards delete them from either OE6 and now WLM to keep these
applications as clean as possible.

  Again your recommendations are the only ones that I found that will allow
me to open prior OE6 saved emails.

  One other item of note. I finally found a way to set WLM as the
recommended application when I clicked on one of the saved OE6 emails in the
My Documents folders. However, when I click on one of these emails to open
it will open WLM, but NOT display the email.

  I have a lot to learn about WLM, but at least you have provided me with a
solution to view the old saved OE6 emails that I transferred from my XP
computer to Win 7.

Thanks so much,

ColTom2

"Bob Lucas" <bob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]

>>> change because WLM is in fact the default email program in
>>> Win 7. At least
>>> this is the only reason that I can think of.
>>>
>>>  This  of course still leaves me with the problem of not
>>> being able to
>>> open
>>> .eml files. When I go to Start>Default Programs>Associate a
>>> file type or
>>> protocol with a program the file extension .eml is not even
>>> listed.
>>>
>>>  So I am back to square one.....
>>>
>>> Hopefully you can come up with an answer.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> ColTom2
>>>

>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> What happens when you try? Is WLMail set as default?
>>>
>>> Close WLMail. Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set
>>> Program Access and
>>> Defaults | Custom + Down Arrow | Select the radio button for

0
ColTom2
11/20/2009 4:59:47 PM
I'm so glad it worked.

I'm still in the Win XP time warp (and very happy there), so I'm
not familiar with the detailed working of Vista or Win 7.  In Win
XP, the following steps should solve your latest problem.  I
wonder whether you could adopt a similar procedure in Win 7.

Open Control Panel
Click on Folder Options, followed by File Types
In the list of programs, scroll down and select EML
The file type be associated with Windows Live Mail.  If it isn't,
change the file association to WLMail.

Now - this is the most important part.  You must check that your
computer has been configured to use the correct command line for
opening EML files.

In Win XP, you would click on the Advanced tab to open a page
headed Edit File Type.  The list of commands should include
"open".  Select the "open" option and if necessary, edit the
command line.

The command line should read -
"C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" /eml:%1 .

(The path to wlmail.exe might be different on your computer.  You
must also include the quotation marks in the command line.  Also,
note there is a space before /eml:1).

If the "open" command is missing, create it.

Also, check the box marked "Use DDE".

That is one way to do it in Win XP.  If Windows 7 is completely
different, you may be able to adapt the instructions.

Another method is to edit the Registry (at your own risk).  The
registry of my PC has the following keys with the value -
"C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" /eml:%1

HKCR\Microsoft Internet Mail Message\shell\open\command

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Microsoft Internet Mail
Message\shell\open\command

> [...]
>>

>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bruce:
>>>
>>>  I rebooted computer and ran Task Manager just to be sure WLM
>>> was not open.
>>> It did the same thing saying that it is setting WLM as
>>> default
>>> application,
>>> but when I immediately reopen it still shows "Use my current
>>> e-mail
>>> program" . Again I think the reason it is not taking or
>>> sticking is that
>>> WLM is already my default email application. I have tried
>>> everything I know,
>>> but can't get it to retain the WLM setting.
>>>
>>> Got any more rabbits up your sleeve....
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> ColTom2
>>>

>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Make sure WLMail is closed when you make the change otherwise

0
Bob
11/20/2009 10:32:52 PM
Hi Bob:

  I still am at a lost after finally getting WLM associated with .eml files
and then clicking on one of the old OE6 saved .eml files and it opening WLM
without displaying the file.

  Oh well.....lots to learn. I have only had Win 7 for a week, but I must in
all fairness say I really like it. And this comes from a desktop XP
MCE(2005) and laptop XP Home Edition owner.

   I really am impressed with its speed, as well as significant features.
However, with XP some items were much simpler to access and accomplish.

Thanks again for all your input,

> [...]

>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bruce:
>>>
>>>  I rebooted computer and ran Task Manager just to be sure WLM
>>> was not open.
>>> It did the same thing saying that it is setting WLM as
>>> default
>>> application,
>>> but when I immediately reopen it still shows "Use my current
>>> e-mail
>>> program" . Again I think the reason it is not taking or
>>> sticking is that
>>> WLM is already my default email application. I have tried
>>> everything I know,
>>> but can't get it to retain the WLM setting.
>>>
>>> Got any more rabbits up your sleeve....
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> ColTom2
>>>

>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Make sure WLMail is closed when you make the change otherwise

0
ColTom2
11/20/2009 11:03:25 PM
Hi Winston:

  The problem is that Windows Live Mail is not listed and neither is file
..eml. Sort of a "Catch 22" situation in that you cannot associate a file
name with a program.

  Microsoft really needs to take another look at this problem, as it's
unbelievable unless you take extraneous dragging action to try and view an
..eml file with Windows Live Mail.

  I now have tried OE6, WLM, MS Office Outlook 2007, and OE6 is still by far
the BEST email application for personal use.

ColTom2

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
Select Windows Live Mail
Choose Defaults for this program

 - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Norman:
>
> WLM came installed with Win7 in Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop. I did not
> install
> it and no other email applications are installed.
>
> ColTom2
>

> "N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:38:50 -0500, ColTom2 wrote:
>
>>   How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
>> WLM?
>>
>>   Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
>> emails.
>
> So. You installed Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Home Premium. Any other
> eamil clients installed?
>
> In Windows 7 you can go to Start | Default Programs, and then set your
> defaults there.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

0
ColTom2
11/23/2009 3:26:49 PM
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:26:49 -0500, ColTom2 wrote:

> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
> Select Windows Live Mail
> Choose Defaults for this program
>
>  - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?

>   The problem is that Windows Live Mail is not listed and neither is file
> .eml. Sort of a "Catch 22" situation in that you cannot associate a file
> name with a program.
>
>   Microsoft really needs to take another look at this problem, as it's
> unbelievable unless you take extraneous dragging action to try and view an
> .eml file with Windows Live Mail.

You bought your computer from Toshiba. It came with Windows 7 and Windows
Live Mail pre-installed (and Windows 7 pre-activated) by Toshiba. How is
this Microsoft's problem? I've installed Windows Live Mail under Windows XP
MCE 2005 (two machines) Windows XP Home Edition, and Windows 7. No problems
in all of those cases.

>   I now have tried OE6, WLM, MS Office Outlook 2007, and OE6 is still by far
> the BEST email application for personal use.

MS Outlook Express is old, long in the tooth. It was never all that good
(I've tried many, like Pegasus Mail best). The programming team that worked
in it was disbanded in 2006. It was never, "The best"; though it was
respectably good in its day, its day has long passed.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
Sounds like your Windows Live Mail wasn't installed properly.
Use the "'Complete' Uninstall/Reinstall Method":
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry

> Hi Winston:
>=20
>  The problem is that Windows Live Mail is not listed and neither is =
file=20
> .eml. Sort of a "Catch 22" situation in that you cannot associate a =
file=20
> name with a program.
>=20
>  Microsoft really needs to take another look at this problem, as it's=20
> unbelievable unless you take extraneous dragging action to try and =
view an=20
> .eml file with Windows Live Mail.
>=20
>  I now have tried OE6, WLM, MS Office Outlook 2007, and OE6 is still =
by far=20
> the BEST email application for personal use.
>=20
> ColTom2
>=20
>=20
>=20
> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message=20
> Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
> Select Windows Live Mail
> Choose Defaults for this program
>=20
> - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>=20
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message=20
>> Hi Norman:
>>
>> WLM came installed with Win7 in Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop. I did not=20
>> install
>> it and no other email applications are installed.
>>
>> ColTom2
>>

>> "N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:38:50 -0500, ColTom2 wrote:
>>
>>>   How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml =
with
>>> WLM?
>>>
>>>   Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft =
OE6
>>> emails.
>>
>> So. You installed Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Home Premium. Any =
other
>> eamil clients installed?
>>
>> In Windows 7 you can go to Start | Default Programs, and then set =
your
>> defaults there.
>>
>> --=20
>> Norman
>> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
>> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
>>
>>=20

0
Gary
11/23/2009 7:53:02 PM
ColTom2,
 I agree with Gary, something is not right with the installation.

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message news:OU9XfFFbKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi Winston:
>
>  The problem is that Windows Live Mail is not listed and neither is file
> .eml. Sort of a "Catch 22" situation in that you cannot associate a file
> name with a program.
>
>  Microsoft really needs to take another look at this problem, as it's
> unbelievable unless you take extraneous dragging action to try and view an
> .eml file with Windows Live Mail.
>
>  I now have tried OE6, WLM, MS Office Outlook 2007, and OE6 is still by far
> the BEST email application for personal use.
>
> ColTom2
>

> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
> Select Windows Live Mail
> Choose Defaults for this program
>
> - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?
>

> --
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Norman:
>>
>> WLM came installed with Win7 in Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop. I did not
>> install
>> it and no other email applications are installed.
>>
>> ColTom2
>>

>> "N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:38:50 -0500, ColTom2 wrote:
>>
>>>   How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
>>> WLM?
>>>
>>>   Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
>>> emails.
>>
>> So. You installed Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Home Premium. Any other
>> eamil clients installed?
>>
>> In Windows 7 you can go to Start | Default Programs, and then set your
>> defaults there.
>>
>> --
>> Norman
>> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
>> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

0
winston
11/24/2009 5:34:11 AM
"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e7Z1X3MbKHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> ColTom2,
> I agree with Gary, something is not right with the installation.

It seems that it always is incompletely installed in W7,
as evidenced by the reproducible problem with IE's File, Send, menu.
That's why I suggested re-registering  WLMail for this symptom too.

---

0
Robert
11/24/2009 6:48:46 AM
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 01:48:46 -0500, Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e7Z1X3MbKHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

>> I agree with Gary, something is not right with the installation.

> It seems that it always is incompletely installed in W7,
> as evidenced by the reproducible problem with IE's File, Send, menu.
> That's why I suggested re-registering  WLMail for this symptom too.

All that it takes for "always" to be wrong is one contradiction.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
Sounds like a lot of work.....,  but I think that it needs doing.

Thanks,

ColTom2

"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
Sounds like your Windows Live Mail wasn't installed properly.
Use the "'Complete' Uninstall/Reinstall Method":
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Winston:
>
>  The problem is that Windows Live Mail is not listed and neither is file
> .eml. Sort of a "Catch 22" situation in that you cannot associate a file
> name with a program.
>
>  Microsoft really needs to take another look at this problem, as it's
> unbelievable unless you take extraneous dragging action to try and view an
> .eml file with Windows Live Mail.
>
>  I now have tried OE6, WLM, MS Office Outlook 2007, and OE6 is still by
> far
> the BEST email application for personal use.
>
> ColTom2
>

> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
> Select Windows Live Mail
> Choose Defaults for this program
>
> - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?
>

> --
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Norman:
>>
>> WLM came installed with Win7 in Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop. I did not
>> install
>> it and no other email applications are installed.
>>
>> ColTom2
>>

>> "N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:38:50 -0500, ColTom2 wrote:
>>
>>>   How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
>>> WLM?
>>>
>>>   Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
>>> emails.
>>
>> So. You installed Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Home Premium. Any other
>> eamil clients installed?
>>
>> In Windows 7 you can go to Start | Default Programs, and then set your
>> defaults there.
>>
>> --
>> Norman
>> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
>> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

0
ColTom2
11/24/2009 11:17:05 PM
Hi Gary:

  I have something strange going on here with your postings. I try and
forward one of your postings such as this one to my email address and it
will show as sent, but it never is received.

  I can forward all other postings under this subject to myself except
yours. Like I say they indicate sent; however, they never are received.

  Any idea as to why I can't receive yours?

Thanks,

ColTom2

"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
Sounds like your Windows Live Mail wasn't installed properly.
Use the "'Complete' Uninstall/Reinstall Method":
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Winston:
>
>  The problem is that Windows Live Mail is not listed and neither is file
> .eml. Sort of a "Catch 22" situation in that you cannot associate a file
> name with a program.
>
>  Microsoft really needs to take another look at this problem, as it's
> unbelievable unless you take extraneous dragging action to try and view an
> .eml file with Windows Live Mail.
>
>  I now have tried OE6, WLM, MS Office Outlook 2007, and OE6 is still by
> far
> the BEST email application for personal use.
>
> ColTom2
>

> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
> Select Windows Live Mail
> Choose Defaults for this program
>
> - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?
>

> --
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Norman:
>>
>> WLM came installed with Win7 in Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop. I did not
>> install
>> it and no other email applications are installed.
>>
>> ColTom2
>>

>> "N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:38:50 -0500, ColTom2 wrote:
>>
>>>   How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
>>> WLM?
>>>
>>>   Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
>>> emails.
>>
>> So. You installed Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Home Premium. Any other
>> eamil clients installed?
>>
>> In Windows 7 you can go to Start | Default Programs, and then set your
>> defaults there.
>>
>> --
>> Norman
>> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
>> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

0
ColTom2
11/25/2009 12:35:47 AM
You're very welcome.

> Sounds like a lot of work.....,  but I think that it needs doing.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> ColTom2
>=20
> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message=20
> Sounds like your Windows Live Mail wasn't installed properly.
> Use the "'Complete' Uninstall/Reinstall Method":
> =
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry
>=20
> --=20
> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen
>=20
>=20
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message=20
>> Hi Winston:
>>
>>  The problem is that Windows Live Mail is not listed and neither is =
file
>> .eml. Sort of a "Catch 22" situation in that you cannot associate a =
file
>> name with a program.
>>
>>  Microsoft really needs to take another look at this problem, as it's
>> unbelievable unless you take extraneous dragging action to try and =
view an
>> .eml file with Windows Live Mail.
>>
>>  I now have tried OE6, WLM, MS Office Outlook 2007, and OE6 is still =
by=20
>> far
>> the BEST email application for personal use.
>>
>> ColTom2
>>

>> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
>> Select Windows Live Mail
>> Choose Defaults for this program
>>
>> - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?
>>

>> --=20
>>  ...winston
>>  ms-mvp mail
>>
>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Norman:
>>>
>>> WLM came installed with Win7 in Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop. I did not
>>> install
>>> it and no other email applications are installed.
>>>
>>> ColTom2
>>>

>>> "N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

Microsoft OE6

>>> So. You installed Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Home Premium. Any =
other
>>> eamil clients installed?
>>>
>>> In Windows 7 you can go to Start | Default Programs, and then set =
your
>>> defaults there.
>>>
>>> --=20
>>> Norman
>>> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
>>> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
>>>

>>=20

0
Gary
11/25/2009 7:55:41 AM
Sorry, I have no idea why that would happen.

> [...]
>> Select Windows Live Mail
>> Choose Defaults for this program
>>
>> - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?
>>

>> --=20
>>  ...winston
>>  ms-mvp mail
>>
>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Norman:
>>>
>>> WLM came installed with Win7 in Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop. I did not
>>> install
>>> it and no other email applications are installed.
>>>
>>> ColTom2
>>>

>>> "N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

Microsoft OE6

>>> So. You installed Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Home Premium. Any =
other
>>> eamil clients installed?
>>>
>>> In Windows 7 you can go to Start | Default Programs, and then set =

0
Gary
11/25/2009 7:57:03 AM
Hi Gary:

  What's even stranger is that I can't forward any of your postings with OE6
either. So it's not a WLM issue.

  Try forwarding one of your postings to yourself and see what happens. As I
say they will appear in your Sent folder, but never received.

Strange....

Sorry, I have no idea why that would happen.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Gary:
>
>  I have something strange going on here with your postings. I try and
> forward one of your postings such as this one to my email address and it
> will show as sent, but it never is received.
>
>  I can forward all other postings under this subject to myself except
> yours. Like I say they indicate sent; however, they never are received.
>
>  Any idea as to why I can't receive yours?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2
>
> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Sounds like your Windows Live Mail wasn't installed properly.
> Use the "'Complete' Uninstall/Reinstall Method":
> http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen
>

> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Winston:
>>
>>  The problem is that Windows Live Mail is not listed and neither is file
>> .eml. Sort of a "Catch 22" situation in that you cannot associate a file
>> name with a program.
>>
>>  Microsoft really needs to take another look at this problem, as it's
>> unbelievable unless you take extraneous dragging action to try and view
>> an
>> .eml file with Windows Live Mail.
>>
>>  I now have tried OE6, WLM, MS Office Outlook 2007, and OE6 is still by
>> far
>> the BEST email application for personal use.
>>
>> ColTom2
>>

>> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
>> Select Windows Live Mail
>> Choose Defaults for this program
>>
>> - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?
>>

>> --
>>  ...winston
>>  ms-mvp mail
>>
>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Norman:
>>>
>>> WLM came installed with Win7 in Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop. I did not
>>> install
>>> it and no other email applications are installed.
>>>
>>> ColTom2
>>>

>>> "N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

>>> So. You installed Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 Home Premium. Any other
>>> eamil clients installed?
>>>
>>> In Windows 7 you can go to Start | Default Programs, and then set your
>>> defaults there.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Norman
>>> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
>>> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

0
ColTom2
11/25/2009 3:30:55 PM
Just tested it. I had no trouble forwarding one of my posts to my own =
email address.
It must be something peculiar to your mail service provider.

> Hi Gary:
>=20
>  What's even stranger is that I can't forward any of your postings =
with OE6=20
> either. So it's not a WLM issue.
>=20
>  Try forwarding one of your postings to yourself and see what happens. =
As I=20
> say they will appear in your Sent folder, but never received.
>=20
> Strange....
>=20
> ColTom2
>=20
>=20
> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message=20
> Sorry, I have no idea why that would happen.
>=20
> --=20
> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen
>=20
>=20
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message=20
>> Hi Gary:
>>
>>  I have something strange going on here with your postings. I try and
>> forward one of your postings such as this one to my email address and =
it
>> will show as sent, but it never is received.
>>
>>  I can forward all other postings under this subject to myself except
>> yours. Like I say they indicate sent; however, they never are =
received.

>>  Any idea as to why I can't receive yours?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ColTom2
>>
>> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
>> Sounds like your Windows Live Mail wasn't installed properly.
>> Use the "'Complete' Uninstall/Reinstall Method":
>> =
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry

>> --=20
>> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen
>>

>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Winston:
>>>
>>>  The problem is that Windows Live Mail is not listed and neither is =
file
>>> .eml. Sort of a "Catch 22" situation in that you cannot associate a =
file
>>> name with a program.
>>>
>>>  Microsoft really needs to take another look at this problem, as =
it's
>>> unbelievable unless you take extraneous dragging action to try and =
view=20
>>> an
>>> .eml file with Windows Live Mail.
>>>
>>>  I now have tried OE6, WLM, MS Office Outlook 2007, and OE6 is still =
by
>>> far
>>> the BEST email application for personal use.
>>>
>>> ColTom2
>>>

>>> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
>>> Select Windows Live Mail
>>> Choose Defaults for this program
>>>
>>> - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?
>>>

>>> --=20
>>>  ...winston
>>>  ms-mvp mail
>>>
>>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message

Microsoft=20

>>=20
>=20

0
Gary
11/25/2009 6:33:44 PM
I just tried forwarding one of Gary's posts and it turned up with no
problem at all. Gary's sig does contain a URL; could your MSP be blocking
messages with included links as an anti-spam measure? Your screen name
could suggest that you're using a military mail server, and we did have a
case last week of messages containing links being blocked by the army.

Now, the burning question - why on earth would you want to forward a
newsgroup post to yourself?
--
Noel

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message

>  What's even stranger is that I can't forward any of your postings with
> OE6 either. So it's not a WLM issue.
>
>  Try forwarding one of your postings to yourself and see what happens. As
> I say they will appear in your Sent folder, but never received.
>
> Strange....

> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Sorry, I have no idea why that would happen.

> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Gary:
>>
>>  I have something strange going on here with your postings. I try and
>> forward one of your postings such as this one to my email address and it
>> will show as sent, but it never is received.
>>
>>  I can forward all other postings under this subject to myself except
>> yours. Like I say they indicate sent; however, they never are received.
>>
>>  Any idea as to why I can't receive yours?

>> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
>> Sounds like your Windows Live Mail wasn't installed properly.
>> Use the "'Complete' Uninstall/Reinstall Method":
>> http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry

>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Winston:
>>>
>>>  The problem is that Windows Live Mail is not listed and neither is
>>> file .eml. Sort of a "Catch 22" situation in that you cannot associate
>>> a file name with a program.
>>>
>>>  Microsoft really needs to take another look at this problem, as it's
>>> unbelievable unless you take extraneous dragging action to try and view
>>> an .eml file with Windows Live Mail.
>>>
>>>  I now have tried OE6, WLM, MS Office Outlook 2007, and OE6 is still by
>>> far the BEST email application for personal use.

>>> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
>>> Select Windows Live Mail
>>> Choose Defaults for this program
>>>
>>> - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?
>>>

>>> --
>>>  ...winston
>>>  ms-mvp mail
>>>
>>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message

0
Ildhund
11/25/2009 7:10:41 PM
Hi Noel:

No I am using Comcast and not a military mail server. I am retired
military.....

As to why I would forward of a posting to myself I really have no answer
other than an alternate way to copy a posting.

Thanks for your input.

ColTom2

"Ildhund" <jnllb@removemsn.com> wrote in message
I just tried forwarding one of Gary's posts and it turned up with no
problem at all. Gary's sig does contain a URL; could your MSP be blocking
messages with included links as an anti-spam measure? Your screen name
could suggest that you're using a military mail server, and we did have a
case last week of messages containing links being blocked by the army.

Now, the burning question - why on earth would you want to forward a
newsgroup post to yourself?
--
Noel
..
"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message

>  What's even stranger is that I can't forward any of your postings with
> OE6 either. So it's not a WLM issue.
>
>  Try forwarding one of your postings to yourself and see what happens. As
> I say they will appear in your Sent folder, but never received.
>
> Strange....

> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Sorry, I have no idea why that would happen.

> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Gary:
>>
>>  I have something strange going on here with your postings. I try and
>> forward one of your postings such as this one to my email address and it
>> will show as sent, but it never is received.
>>
>>  I can forward all other postings under this subject to myself except
>> yours. Like I say they indicate sent; however, they never are received.
>>
>>  Any idea as to why I can't receive yours?

>> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
>> Sounds like your Windows Live Mail wasn't installed properly.
>> Use the "'Complete' Uninstall/Reinstall Method":
>> http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry

>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Winston:
>>>
>>>  The problem is that Windows Live Mail is not listed and neither is
>>> file .eml. Sort of a "Catch 22" situation in that you cannot associate
>>> a file name with a program.
>>>
>>>  Microsoft really needs to take another look at this problem, as it's
>>> unbelievable unless you take extraneous dragging action to try and view
>>> an .eml file with Windows Live Mail.
>>>
>>>  I now have tried OE6, WLM, MS Office Outlook 2007, and OE6 is still by
>>> far the BEST email application for personal use.

>>> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Control Panel/Default Programs/Set your Default Programs/
>>> Select Windows Live Mail
>>> Choose Defaults for this program
>>>
>>> - is there a check mark in the box adjacent to .eml ?
>>>

>>> --
>>>  ...winston
>>>  ms-mvp mail
>>>
>>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message

0
ColTom2
11/25/2009 11:25:31 PM
What I do:
Right-click on the newsgroup post, then select "Copy to folder"
and pick one of the custom folders I have under Storage folders.
Forwarding is a more complex process, thus prone to more potential
problems.=20

> [...]
>=20
>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Gary:
>>>
>>>  I have something strange going on here with your postings. I try =
and
>>> forward one of your postings such as this one to my email address =
and it
>>> will show as sent, but it never is received.
>>>
>>>  I can forward all other postings under this subject to myself =
except
>>> yours. Like I say they indicate sent; however, they never are =
received.

>>>  Any idea as to why I can't receive yours?
>=20
>>> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Sounds like your Windows Live Mail wasn't installed properly.
>>> Use the "'Complete' Uninstall/Reinstall Method":

0
Gary
11/26/2009 7:19:11 AM
Hi Gary:

  The way of copying to folder is what I normally do, but I was just
screwing around still somewhat bewildered as to why MS would design a new OS
(Win7) and an MS application (WLM) that will not allow you to not open an
..eml file ext outside of WLM.

  Blows my mind.....

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tom

P.S. The weather here this morning is just beautiful here in Savannah, GA.
Got up around daylight and got my 3 mile walk in early, as always.

What I do:
Right-click on the newsgroup post, then select "Copy to folder"
and pick one of the custom folders I have under Storage folders.
Forwarding is a more complex process, thus prone to more potential
problems.
--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Noel:
>
> No I am using Comcast and not a military mail server. I am retired
> military.....
>
> As to why I would forward of a posting to myself I really have no answer
> other than an alternate way to copy a posting.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> ColTom2
>

> "Ildhund" <jnllb@removemsn.com> wrote in message
> I just tried forwarding one of Gary's posts and it turned up with no
> problem at all. Gary's sig does contain a URL; could your MSP be blocking
> messages with included links as an anti-spam measure? Your screen name
> could suggest that you're using a military mail server, and we did have a
> case last week of messages containing links being blocked by the army.
>
> Now, the burning question - why on earth would you want to forward a
> newsgroup post to yourself?
> --
> Noel
> .
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>
>>  What's even stranger is that I can't forward any of your postings with
>> OE6 either. So it's not a WLM issue.
>>
>>  Try forwarding one of your postings to yourself and see what happens. As
>> I say they will appear in your Sent folder, but never received.
>>
>> Strange....
>
>> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
>> Sorry, I have no idea why that would happen.
>
>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Gary:
>>>
>>>  I have something strange going on here with your postings. I try and
>>> forward one of your postings such as this one to my email address and it
>>> will show as sent, but it never is received.
>>>
>>>  I can forward all other postings under this subject to myself except
>>> yours. Like I say they indicate sent; however, they never are received.
>>>
>>>  Any idea as to why I can't receive yours?
>
>>> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Sounds like your Windows Live Mail wasn't installed properly.
>>> Use the "'Complete' Uninstall/Reinstall Method":
>>> http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!226.entry
>
>>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message

0
ColTom2
11/26/2009 4:56:11 PM
Hi:

  Below is message that I just submitted to Microsoft for support applicable
this issue and they have assigned it a Support Ticket Number. If I hear
anything positive back or for that matter whatever I hear I will post back
accordingly.

Tom

***************************************
Quote:

Hi:

  I just purchased a Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop running Windows 7 with WLM
installed.

  I imported some prior emails (.eml file ext) in a folder from a XP Pro
using OE6 computer.

  I have tried to open any of these imported emails having .eml file ext
created by OE6 and found that WLM cannot open them. I get a notice to try
and open file with a selected program, but cannot associate .eml files with
WLM so that I can open them.

  What I have found out is the only way that I can open one of these
imported .eml files is to drag it into a WLM folder. Once inside WLM I can
open, but outside of WLM I cannot open an .eml file.

  I can drag an .eml file out of WLM onto the desktop and then I cannot open
it because of apparently some Win7/WLM file association internal problem.

  It's hard to believe that a problem such as this exists with Win 7 and
WLM, but it does. The internet is full of postings trying to find an answer
to this problem.

  Hopefully you can provide a solution.

Thanks,

Tom

End of Quote

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
Hi:

  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with WLM?

  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
emails.

Thanks,

ColTom2

0
ColTom2
11/26/2009 9:08:39 PM
Part of my dilemma is that I'd prefer to be able to open .eml and .nws
messages in BOTH OE and WLM.

Is that not possible?

Nancy Jackman

> Hi:
>
>  Below is message that I just submitted to Microsoft for support
> applicable
> this issue and they have assigned it a Support Ticket Number. If I hear
> anything positive back or for that matter whatever I hear I will post
> back
> accordingly.
>
> Tom
>
> ***************************************
> Quote:
>
> Hi:
>
>  I just purchased a Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop running Windows 7 with WLM
> installed.
>
>  I imported some prior emails (.eml file ext) in a folder from a XP Pro
> using OE6 computer.
>
>  I have tried to open any of these imported emails having .eml file ext
> created by OE6 and found that WLM cannot open them. I get a notice to
> try
> and open file with a selected program, but cannot associate .eml files
> with
> WLM so that I can open them.
>
>  What I have found out is the only way that I can open one of these
> imported .eml files is to drag it into a WLM folder. Once inside WLM I
> can
> open, but outside of WLM I cannot open an .eml file.
>
>  I can drag an .eml file out of WLM onto the desktop and then I cannot
> open
> it because of apparently some Win7/WLM file association internal
> problem.
>
>  It's hard to believe that a problem such as this exists with Win 7 and
> WLM, but it does. The internet is full of postings trying to find an
> answer
> to this problem.
>
>  Hopefully you can provide a solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>
> End of Quote
>
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
> WLM?
>
>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
> emails.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

0
Nancy
11/27/2009 1:54:28 AM
  That is part of what I am trying to find out. I have only WLM running new
Win7 OS and can't open an .eml file if the file is not contained inside a
WLM folder.

ColTom2

"Nancy Jackman" <nanwjackman@beaufort.com> wrote in message
Part of my dilemma is that I'd prefer to be able to open .eml and .nws
messages in BOTH OE and WLM.

Is that not possible?

Nancy Jackman

"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message

> Hi:
>
>  Below is message that I just submitted to Microsoft for support
> applicable
> this issue and they have assigned it a Support Ticket Number. If I hear
> anything positive back or for that matter whatever I hear I will post
> back
> accordingly.
>
> Tom
>
> ***************************************
> Quote:
>
> Hi:
>
>  I just purchased a Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop running Windows 7 with WLM
> installed.
>
>  I imported some prior emails (.eml file ext) in a folder from a XP Pro
> using OE6 computer.
>
>  I have tried to open any of these imported emails having .eml file ext
> created by OE6 and found that WLM cannot open them. I get a notice to
> try
> and open file with a selected program, but cannot associate .eml files
> with
> WLM so that I can open them.
>
>  What I have found out is the only way that I can open one of these
> imported .eml files is to drag it into a WLM folder. Once inside WLM I
> can
> open, but outside of WLM I cannot open an .eml file.
>
>  I can drag an .eml file out of WLM onto the desktop and then I cannot
> open
> it because of apparently some Win7/WLM file association internal
> problem.
>
>  It's hard to believe that a problem such as this exists with Win 7 and
> WLM, but it does. The internet is full of postings trying to find an
> answer
> to this problem.
>
>  Hopefully you can provide a solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>
> End of Quote
>
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
> WLM?
>
>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
> emails.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ColTom2

0
ColTom2
11/27/2009 2:04:54 AM
Good.

I'd like to just click on an .eml or .nws message and open it with either
WLM or OE, without a lot of extra grief.

I'm using XP SP3.

I can open them in WLM but not OE.

But WLM takes much longer to do the job.  Its pace is funereal.

Nancy

>  That is part of what I am trying to find out. I have only WLM running
> new
> Win7 OS and can't open an .eml file if the file is not contained inside
> WLM folder.
>
> ColTom2
>

> "Nancy Jackman" <nanwjackman@beaufort.com> wrote in message
> Part of my dilemma is that I'd prefer to be able to open .eml and .nws
> messages in BOTH OE and WLM.
>
> Is that not possible?
>
> Nancy Jackman
>
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Hi:
>>
>>  Below is message that I just submitted to Microsoft for support
>> applicable
>> this issue and they have assigned it a Support Ticket Number. If I hear
>> anything positive back or for that matter whatever I hear I will post
>> back
>> accordingly.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> ***************************************
>> Quote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>>  I just purchased a Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop running Windows 7 with
>> WLM
>> installed.
>>
>>  I imported some prior emails (.eml file ext) in a folder from a XP Pro
>> using OE6 computer.
>>
>>  I have tried to open any of these imported emails having .eml file ext
>> created by OE6 and found that WLM cannot open them. I get a notice to
>> try
>> and open file with a selected program, but cannot associate .eml files
>> with
>> WLM so that I can open them.
>>
>>  What I have found out is the only way that I can open one of these
>> imported .eml files is to drag it into a WLM folder. Once inside WLM I
>> can
>> open, but outside of WLM I cannot open an .eml file.
>>
>>  I can drag an .eml file out of WLM onto the desktop and then I cannot
>> open
>> it because of apparently some Win7/WLM file association internal
>> problem.
>>
>>  It's hard to believe that a problem such as this exists with Win 7 and
>> WLM, but it does. The internet is full of postings trying to find an
>> answer
>> to this problem.
>>
>>  Hopefully you can provide a solution.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> End of Quote
>>
>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
>> WLM?
>>
>>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft OE6
>> emails.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ColTom2

0
Nancy
11/27/2009 2:46:03 AM
I'm doing that now.

On my system double clicking an EML file opens in WLM.  But Right
clicking and selecting Open With gives me the option of either.

You should be able to do the same.  If you don't have OE on the Open
with select Choose program there and browse to OE.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Nancy Jackman" <nanwjackman@beaufort.com> wrote in message
> Part of my dilemma is that I'd prefer to be able to open .eml and .nws
> messages in BOTH OE and WLM.
>
> Is that not possible?
>
> Nancy Jackman
>
> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Hi:
>>
>>  Below is message that I just submitted to Microsoft for support
>> applicable
>> this issue and they have assigned it a Support Ticket Number. If I
>> hear
>> anything positive back or for that matter whatever I hear I will post
>> back
>> accordingly.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> ***************************************
>> Quote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>>  I just purchased a Toshiba L455-S5980 laptop running Windows 7 with
>> WLM
>> installed.
>>
>>  I imported some prior emails (.eml file ext) in a folder from a XP
>> Pro
>> using OE6 computer.
>>
>>  I have tried to open any of these imported emails having .eml file
>> ext
>> created by OE6 and found that WLM cannot open them. I get a notice to
>> try
>> and open file with a selected program, but cannot associate .eml
>> files with
>> WLM so that I can open them.
>>
>>  What I have found out is the only way that I can open one of these
>> imported .eml files is to drag it into a WLM folder. Once inside WLM
>> I can
>> open, but outside of WLM I cannot open an .eml file.
>>
>>  I can drag an .eml file out of WLM onto the desktop and then I
>> cannot open
>> it because of apparently some Win7/WLM file association internal
>> problem.
>>
>>  It's hard to believe that a problem such as this exists with Win 7
>> and
>> WLM, but it does. The internet is full of postings trying to find an
>> answer
>> to this problem.
>>
>>  Hopefully you can provide a solution.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> End of Quote
>>
>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
>> WLM?
>>
>>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft
>> OE6
>> emails.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ColTom2

0
Michael
11/27/2009 11:16:51 PM
I've tried that and although OE opens, the EML file does not.  I'm just
transferred to the generic default option of open Inbox.

What OS are you using?  I'm using XP SP3.

Especially annoying is that I SAVE the EML file from OE and it's on the
Desktop, but then it won't even OPEN with OE.

Nancy

"Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> [...]

>>>  I can drag an .eml file out of WLM onto the desktop and then I cannot
>>> open
>>> it because of apparently some Win7/WLM file association internal
>>> problem.
>>>
>>>  It's hard to believe that a problem such as this exists with Win 7
>>> and
>>> WLM, but it does. The internet is full of postings trying to find an
>>> answer
>>> to this problem.
>>>
>>>  Hopefully you can provide a solution.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>>> End of Quote
>>>
>>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>>  How can I open my old saved OE6 emails with file extension .eml with
>>> WLM?
>>>
>>>  Never dreamed I would have this problem of opening prior Microsoft

0
Nancy
11/28/2009 12:24:51 AM
"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message news:46599ECF-EC98-41A6-8CFA-AC82DA926B09@microsoft.com...

> why MS would design a new OS (Win7) and an MS application (WLM)
> that will not allow you to not open an .eml file ext outside of WLM.

You can still open an .eml usefully in Notepad
and in some cases even rename (or copy) it
to  .mht  in order to open it in IE.

---

0
Robert
11/28/2009 12:36:12 AM
"ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message news:9A5D5616-902F-4176-9C14-DF9E2BD6109B@microsoft.com...

>  I have tried to open any of these imported emails having .eml file ext
> created by OE6 and found that WLM cannot open them. I get a notice to try
> and open file with a selected program, but cannot associate .eml files with
> WLM so that I can open them.

And is your File, Send menu enabled yet?
Have you tried re-registering  WLMail  yet?

0
Robert
11/28/2009 12:40:22 AM
"Nancy Jackman" <nanwjackman@beaufort.com> wrote in message news:OrOuJF8bKHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I've tried that and although OE opens, the EML file does not.  I'm just
> transferred to the generic default option of open Inbox.

That means that the open action for that filetype is just generic
and not what it needs to be for OE to open it, just for OE to open.

> What OS are you using?  I'm using XP SP3.

Check your current association and filetype open action using a cmd window.

E.g. I have

<cmd_output  OS="XPsp3">
E:\>assoc .eml
..eml=Microsoft Internet Mail Message

E:\>ftype | findstr "Microsoft.Internet.Mail.Message"
Microsoft Internet Mail Message="F:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" /eml:%1
</cmd_output>

Note the dots used to make a single term regular expression
in order to display that filetype.

So, I have the same default as you even though
OE is supposedly my default E-mail client.

The reason is that  OE  updates  HKLM  values only
while  WLMail  updates  HKCU  values.
HKCU values override  HKLM  values.

Also, evidently  OE  doesn't create an OE-specific filetype
but  WLMail  does create an  WLMail-specific filetype

<cmd_output>
E:\>ftype | find "eml"
Microsoft Internet Mail Message="F:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" /eml:%1
WLMail.EML="F:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" /eml:%1"
</cmd_output>

BTW I never noticed before that there is a syntax error in there.  ; )

This happens every time I reinstall WLMail
so I haven't bothered doing the registry hack
needed to fix it.

But the above point about not having an OE-specific filetype
has just given me an idea:  let's create one and then change
the extension's association!

    ftype OE.EML="%programfiles%\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"  /eml:%1

I'm not sure if that syntax is going to work.  See earlier comment
about syntax error for WLMail case...

<cmd_output>
E:\>ftype OE.EML="%programfiles%\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"  /eml:%1
OE.EML="F:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"  /eml:%1

E:\>ftype | find "eml"
Microsoft Internet Mail Message="F:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" /eml:%1
OE.EML="F:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"  /eml:%1
WLMail.EML="F:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" /eml:%1"
</cmd_output>

Seems to have been accepted.   Now let's activate it...

    assoc  .eml=OE.EML

And do a search with  WS  for some  .eml  and open one...

Ta da!  Opens in OE.   QED.

Now in contrast,  right-click Open with...  WLMail  does open
an E-mail using  WLMail  and not just open its main application
window.

Thanks for making me find this.   ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Especially annoying is that I SAVE the EML file from OE and it's on the
> Desktop, but then it won't even OPEN with OE.
>
> Nancy
>
> "Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>
>> I'm doing that now.
>>
>> On my system double clicking an EML file opens in WLM.  But Right
>> clicking and selecting Open With gives me the option of either.
>>
>> You should be able to do the same.  If you don't have OE on the Open
>> with select Choose program there and browse to OE.

Robert
11/28/2009 3:59:17 PM
I'm using XP SP3.

It seems kind of tricky to get the file associations to work right.  You
can try the following.

First get the EML files working with OE.

OLEXP: Unable to Open EML File Attachments in Outlook Express
(Fixing the EML File Association)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312355
If the abbreviated command in the above article doesn't work,
then try: Start, Run and enter the following (with the quotation marks):
     "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"   /reg

Then once that's working, reset WLM as your default mail program.

- In Windows Live Mail (WLM) check at Tools, Options, General and make
it the default if it isn't already.

- In Internet Explorer Explorer at Tools, Internet Options, Programs
make sure that WLM is the default e-mail program

- Also, in Windows XP: Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Set Program
Access and Defaults, Custom, Email and select WLM, even if it already
seems to be the default.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Nancy Jackman" <nanwjackman@beaufort.com> wrote in message
> I've tried that and although OE opens, the EML file does not.  I'm
> just
> transferred to the generic default option of open Inbox.
>
> What OS are you using?  I'm using XP SP3.
>
> Especially annoying is that I SAVE the EML file from OE and it's on
> the Desktop, but then it won't even OPEN with OE.
>
> Nancy
>
> "Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>
>> I'm doing that now.
>>
>> On my system double clicking an EML file opens in WLM.  But Right
>> clicking and selecting Open With gives me the option of either.
>>
>> You should be able to do the same.  If you don't have OE on the Open
>> with select Choose program there and browse to OE.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>>
>> "Nancy Jackman" <nanwjackman@beaufort.com> wrote in message
>
>>> Part of my dilemma is that I'd prefer to be able to open .eml and
>>> .nws
>>> messages in BOTH OE and WLM.
>>>
>>> Is that not possible?
>>>
>>> Nancy Jackman
>>>
>>> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message

0
Michael
11/28/2009 7:34:40 PM
Hi:

  As I previously posted I had contacted MS for assistance. At first the WLM
Team seemed anxious to resolve my problems, but after a few try's
they finally sent me a reply saying that I would have to contact MS
technical support, as they thought it was more than a WLM issue.

  There were three main identifying problems:
1.  WLM was not listed in Set Default Programs
2. .EML ext was not listed in Registry under string/FileExts
3. .EML  ext was not listed in Associate file or protocol with a specific
program.

  I accomplished all kinds of action since my original posting including
hacking the Registry to get .eml ext listed, but not correctly I might add,
and finally associating .eml ext with WLM. However, all that I accomplished
never did resolve the issue.

  Earlier this afternoon I sent a message back to the WLM team asking for
detail instructions on how to uninstall/reinstall WLM. I have not received a
reply as of this posting.

  However, this got me to thinking on how to uninstall WLM. I went to
Uninstall Programs and found WLM was not specifically listed, but Windows
Live Essentials was listed. Knowing that WLM was a component application of
WLE I decided to click on Uninstall feeling it should at least give me a
choice of which application I wanted to uninstall.

  This brought up the next screen which gave me a choice to Uninstall or
Repair. I decided at this point why not try the Repair option. When I
clicked on it I did not get an individual application to repair, but it
rather started running a repair on all WLE applications which took a few
minutes or so. Afterwards I received a report of which applications had been
repaired. It repaired four of the applications with WLM being one. Also it
gave you a choice to review repair actions and also indicated WLM was not
Default applicable all functions with the option to make it Default for all.
I selected this option.

  I got a notice that a reboot was required and did so. Was I ever
surprised, as this repaired ALL my WLM problems, as noted above, and now it
is fully functional to read ALL .eml  file exts. Everything appears to be
normal now applicable all WLE applications.

  So if you are having problems such as I had,  the first item I recommend
is that you run the repair, as noted above. Hopefully you will have the
success that I had with this repair function which is so simple to
accomplish.

  In closing I wish to thank all that made a posting and all the support
efforts that all of you made. It's the "teamwork" of all that makes forums
such as this a success. I just wish that Microsoft would see fit to include
Windows 7 in their Forums and I highly recommend that they do so. It's the
only OS that has never been included within MS Newsgroups. I also feel these
Newsgroups forums have the best expertise of any of the others. However, I
do not want to degrade the others in any manner, as they have some great
knowledge within their ranks.

A BIG salute to all of you!

ColTom2

0
ColTom2
11/29/2009 2:30:59 AM
Good to hear that you got it fixed.
I did post 5 days ago that it sounded like your Windows Live Mail
wasn't installed properly.

> Hi:
>=20
>  As I previously posted I had contacted MS for assistance. At first =
the WLM=20
> Team seemed anxious to resolve my problems, but after a few try's
> they finally sent me a reply saying that I would have to contact MS=20
> technical support, as they thought it was more than a WLM issue.
>=20
>  There were three main identifying problems:
> 1.  WLM was not listed in Set Default Programs
> 2. .EML ext was not listed in Registry under string/FileExts
> 3. .EML  ext was not listed in Associate file or protocol with a =
specific=20
> program.
>=20
>  I accomplished all kinds of action since my original posting =
including=20
> hacking the Registry to get .eml ext listed, but not correctly I might =
add,=20
> and finally associating .eml ext with WLM. However, all that I =
accomplished=20
> never did resolve the issue.
>=20
>  Earlier this afternoon I sent a message back to the WLM team asking =
for=20
> detail instructions on how to uninstall/reinstall WLM. I have not =
received a=20
> reply as of this posting.
>=20
>  However, this got me to thinking on how to uninstall WLM. I went to=20
> Uninstall Programs and found WLM was not specifically listed, but =
Windows=20
> Live Essentials was listed. Knowing that WLM was a component =
application of=20
> WLE I decided to click on Uninstall feeling it should at least give me =
a=20
> choice of which application I wanted to uninstall.
>=20
>  This brought up the next screen which gave me a choice to Uninstall =
or=20
> Repair. I decided at this point why not try the Repair option. When I=20
> clicked on it I did not get an individual application to repair, but =
it=20
> rather started running a repair on all WLE applications which took a =
few=20
> minutes or so. Afterwards I received a report of which applications =
had been=20
> repaired. It repaired four of the applications with WLM being one. =
Also it=20
> gave you a choice to review repair actions and also indicated WLM was =
not=20
> Default applicable all functions with the option to make it Default =
for all.=20
> I selected this option.
>=20
>  I got a notice that a reboot was required and did so. Was I ever=20
> surprised, as this repaired ALL my WLM problems, as noted above, and =
now it=20
> is fully functional to read ALL .eml  file exts. Everything appears to =
be=20
> normal now applicable all WLE applications.
>=20
>  So if you are having problems such as I had,  the first item I =
recommend=20
> is that you run the repair, as noted above. Hopefully you will have =
the=20
> success that I had with this repair function which is so simple to=20
> accomplish.
>=20
>  In closing I wish to thank all that made a posting and all the =
support=20
> efforts that all of you made. It's the "teamwork" of all that makes =
forums=20
> such as this a success. I just wish that Microsoft would see fit to =
include=20
> Windows 7 in their Forums and I highly recommend that they do so. It's =
the=20
> only OS that has never been included within MS Newsgroups. I also feel =
these=20
> Newsgroups forums have the best expertise of any of the others. =
However, I=20
> do not want to degrade the others in any manner, as they have some =
great=20
> knowledge within their ranks.
>=20
> A BIG salute to all of you!
>=20
> ColTom2
>=20
>=20

0
Gary
11/29/2009 3:23:56 AM
I tried the same thing but, sadly, it didn't fix my contacts problem.

Nancy

> [...]

> recommend
> is that you run the repair, as noted above. Hopefully you will have the
> success that I had with this repair function which is so simple to
> accomplish.
>
>  In closing I wish to thank all that made a posting and all the support
> efforts that all of you made. It's the "teamwork" of all that makes
> forums
> such as this a success. I just wish that Microsoft would see fit to
> include
> Windows 7 in their Forums and I highly recommend that they do so. It's
> the
> only OS that has never been included within MS Newsgroups. I also feel
> these
> Newsgroups forums have the best expertise of any of the others. However,
> do not want to degrade the others in any manner, as they have some great

0
Nancy
11/29/2009 5:09:59 AM
Yes Gary I recall you mentioning this and even saved your posting. The
further I went in trying to resolved this issue the more that I thought
about what you had said. I just did not know of an easy way to accomplish
it.

At least now maybe what I have posted will benefit someone else with WLM
issues.

I really appreciate all your replies and postings and especially the one
that you referenced, as it was right on target as to the cause.

Thanks again,

> [...]

> normal now applicable all WLE applications.
>
>  So if you are having problems such as I had,  the first item I recommend
> is that you run the repair, as noted above. Hopefully you will have the
> success that I had with this repair function which is so simple to
> accomplish.
>
>  In closing I wish to thank all that made a posting and all the support
> efforts that all of you made. It's the "teamwork" of all that makes forums
> such as this a success. I just wish that Microsoft would see fit to
> include
> Windows 7 in their Forums and I highly recommend that they do so. It's the
> only OS that has never been included within MS Newsgroups. I also feel
> these
> Newsgroups forums have the best expertise of any of the others. However, I
> do not want to degrade the others in any manner, as they have some great

0
ColTom2
11/29/2009 1:40:56 PM
Nancy, I don't see a problem statement from you in this thread.
You need to give us all the details of your issue.
Also, it is always better to start a new thread rather than reusing=20
one started by someone else. There are often subtle differences=20
that require a different solution.

>I tried the same thing but, sadly, it didn't fix my contacts problem.
>=20
> Nancy

0
Gary
11/29/2009 6:23:07 PM
Thank you very much, Gary.

I'll do that in the future.

At present, I'm willing to wait for MS software fixes on the "Contacts
Disappearing" problem.

Nancy

Nancy, I don't see a problem statement from you in this thread.
You need to give us all the details of your issue.
Also, it is always better to start a new thread rather than reusing
one started by someone else. There are often subtle differences
that require a different solution.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Nancy Jackman" <nanwjackman@beaufort.com> wrote in message

>I tried the same thing but, sadly, it didn't fix my contacts problem.
>
> Nancy

0
Nancy
11/29/2009 8:05:44 PM
I believe Microsoft is working on that 'Disappearing Contacts' issue.
Hopefully that problem will be fixed in the next release of Windows Live =

> Thank you very much, Gary.
>=20
> I'll do that in the future.
>=20
> At present, I'm willing to wait for MS software fixes on the "Contacts =

> Disappearing" problem.
>=20
> Nancy
>=20
> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message=20
>=20
> Nancy, I don't see a problem statement from you in this thread.
> You need to give us all the details of your issue.
> Also, it is always better to start a new thread rather than reusing
> one started by someone else. There are often subtle differences
> that require a different solution.
>=20
> --=20
> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen
>=20
>=20
> "Nancy Jackman" <nanwjackman@beaufort.com> wrote in message=20
>=20
>>I tried the same thing but, sadly, it didn't fix my contacts problem.
>>
>> Nancy=20
>=20

0
Gary
11/29/2009 10:57:09 PM
I hope for that too -- devoutly.

Nancy

I believe Microsoft is working on that 'Disappearing Contacts' issue.
Hopefully that problem will be fixed in the next release of Windows Live
Mail.
--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Nancy Jackman" <nanwjackman@beaufort.com> wrote in message

> Thank you very much, Gary.
>
> I'll do that in the future.
>
> At present, I'm willing to wait for MS software fixes on the "Contacts
> Disappearing" problem.
>
> Nancy
>
> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
>
> Nancy, I don't see a problem statement from you in this thread.
> You need to give us all the details of your issue.
> Also, it is always better to start a new thread rather than reusing
> one started by someone else. There are often subtle differences
> that require a different solution.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen
>
> "Nancy Jackman" <nanwjackman@beaufort.com> wrote in message
>
>>I tried the same thing but, sadly, it didn't fix my contacts problem.
>>
>> Nancy

0
Nancy

Outside Email Not Received
When we went home on Monday, we turned off our server due to forecasted bad thunderstorms -- which were indeed as bad as they were predicted. This morning, I powered up the SBS2003 Server, with Exchange Server 2003 SP1 included - and we can get internal email, but not external email. I've looked in the logs, I see nothing there that says there are any backups. I've sent myself several emails, and haven't received any of them. What on earth could be happening? Please help before I personally strangle the one person this allegedly really matters to. Thanks! (I'll prob...

Prohibited File Type?
If someone sends me a picture file as an attachment to an email message I get shown "Prohibited File Type..file deactivated". I can see the pic in the body of the message but can't open and view the picture file by clicking it? Similarly if I try to attach a picture file to a message I send that also gives the same warning both before sending and to the recipient? The files In question are jpg files. Anyone advise please? Tools/Safety/Options/Security Uncheck - do not allow attachments to be save or opened - block images and other external content Check (op...

.xls files opening in IE rather than xls
When opening files downloaded from the web, they are opened in an IE windo rather than the appropriate Office 2003 tool (word, excel, etc.) From a previous post: There's a setting in Windows that you can change. In win98, I can do this: Start Windows Explorer View|Folder Options File Types Tab scroll down to MS Excel Worksheet Select it click the edit button There's an option to "browse in same window". Uncheck it. That's where you can toggle the "confirm open after download", too. How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office Documents in the Appr...

I can send but not receive emails in outlook
I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to Outlook Express which was installed with Microsoft Works I can still access my incoming mail from there Do you receive any errors when trying to receive? "TeeJay" <TeeJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1BA6E6F-2C25-460E-9F4F-8A6EB8C9CA96@microsoft.com... >I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive > them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to >...

Modifying dialog for incoming emails
good morning from germany, how can i customize the dialog which tells me that i have some new incoming email, f.g. name of sende, date and time or some other email related infos. thx patric What version of Outlook? If Outlook 2003, you can customize the rules for displaying an alert from specified individuals. Tell us your version and more detailed information (and IF it can be done in your version) will be forthcoming. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. "Patric" <sokrates1973@aol.com> wrote in message ne...

Hidden Folders and Files
I am using Windows XP pro, 2nd, service pack. For some reason, I am now unable to see my hidden files and folders, even though I was able to a short while ago. I don't know what I have done to change this. Under folder options I have selected "Display the contents of system folders" and "Show hidden files and folders" However they are not visible. Any advise? Thanks. leasider<SPAM> wrote: > I am using Windows XP pro, 2nd, service pack. > > For some reason, I am now unable to see my hidden files and folders, > even though I was able to a short ...

PERSONAL Workbook is not opening
WHen I open Excel, my PERSONAL workbook is not opening, then I can't access to my Macros. I have checked if its located in the XLSTART folder and it is. Can you help me to solve this out? Maybe personal.xls was disabled... xl2002+ has the abililty to quarantine what it thinks are bad workbooks. They can keep track of them so that it doesn't even try to open them. If you look under Help|About MS Excel, you'll see a button called: "Disabled Items...". Check under there to see if it's marked not to open. You can enable it there, too. If the workbook is real...

Error while Archiving email
I am getting error while trying to archive email from Exchange Mailbox to archive file. Here is the error Error while archiving "Inbox" in store "Mailbox-<user name>". Unknown error I created new archive file and tried to archive I keep getting same error. I tried this from different workstation too. I am administrator on local machine and running Windows 2000 pro with SP4 and Office XP with SP3, my email is on Exchange 2000 server with SP3. Any help on this is greatly appriciated. Thanks, Dinesh ...

How do I install when "file ZF561407.CAB can not be found"

Removing attachments from multiple emails
Hi: I searched to get all emails with attachments that are from last year or older. Now I want to select them all and remove the attachments from all of them, but keep the messages. I can do this one email at a time by opening it up, right clicking and choosing "remove", but how do I do this for several emails at once? Is there something in Outlook that will allow me to do this or is there a third party tool? Thanks, Kayda There are many third-party tools to add this functionality to Outlook. = See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/housekeeping.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP...

Excel 2000: File >> New menu command causes application crash
This is occurring on only one machine on a network! After saving an emailed Excel template to a standard network location for Microsoft templates, when selecting File >> New this installation of Excel 2000 crashes ("Excel not responding" on Close program dialog). On other machines there is no problem. Have "repaired" Microsoft Office using that option from the installation CD-ROM, have removed Excel from Office installation, rebooted and reinstalled Excel. No change on the problem behaviour. Everything else appears to be working just fine in this copy of Excel. We ...

Show userform at spreadsheet open
How do you make a userform open when you open a spreadsheet? Can anyone help? Thankyou, Roger [excel2003] hi sheet or file? sheet..... Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() Load userform1 userform1.Show 0 End Sub lookup modal and modaless forms in vb help. file.... Private Sub Workbook_Open() Load userform1 userform1.Show 0 End Sub also see this site.... http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm regards FSt1 "Roger on Excel" wrote: > How do you make a userform open when you open a spreadsheet? > > Can anyone help? > &g...

What firewall ports to open to manage server through ESM?
Hi, Got 2 Exchange 2003 servers (in separate RGs) which are connected via WAN and separated by Firewalls. What are the Firewall ports I need to open in order to manage the remote Exchange server, using a local ESM? TIA, Shel Shel: I don't know the answer, but why can't you use Remote Desktop Connection (port 3389) for this? From my experience, it is at least 10x faster than directly using ESM or ADUC and works great even over 56k dial-up to a VPN. Regards, Martin "Shel" <shel@msnews.forum.com> wrote in message news:OJlNgOwcEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > H...

"Do you want to save" when Excel OPENS
I understand about the "Do you want to save" message when you close Excel, even if you didn't make any changes: Excel doesn't distinguish between real changes and the recalculation of volatile functions. But at work we've had a user claim that he gets the message when he OPENS Excel when our add-in is checked (having been checked when Excel was open before). Specifically, it asks "Do you want to save changes to Sheet 2?" I'm sure it's not our add-in as such, since no one has ever report this before. But it may be some interaction between our add-...

CRM 3.0 Reports:Error when trying to open reports on client m/c
I am unable to access CRM Reports from any other machine except the CRM Server (Physical) box. I logged in as different users on the CRM server and was able to open and see all of the reports based on roles. But I am not able to view reports from any of the client machines. I am accessing Reports through a web-client. Upon trying to access reports through a client machine, I get the message " An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator". This does not tell me anything I do not see anything unusual in the Web server (CRM Server), or the Da...

Forward multiple emails
I am trying to pull together several emails from multiple sources and forward them out with a new email cover letter. I am trying to avoid forwarding each email separately. I want the emails to arrive together with the new email giving a summary of each. Select all the messages and press Forward. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Hendrix" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3bbf01c48f9d$4aabd870$a301280a...

delivered email coming back undelivered
I am sending out email on using Msoft Outlook and it is getting to the recipient; however, I am getting email messages back from "System Administrator" that the email was undeliverable. Also when I would compose emails and got to my address book some of the folders were not available or seem to have changed locations. At the same time I was having problems opening up appointment windows in my Msoft Calendar program and getting a message that the folder could not be found. When I rebooted this went away. I have done a Norton virus scan but nothing came up. Any ideas? RickyG w...

Open windows explorer
Does anyone know how to have a cell "hyperlink" to windows explorer open to a particular folder? Right-click the cell, select Hyperlink and point to your folder. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Only 1 taskbar button when i open 2 excel documents
Hi all. When i open 2 excel documents i have only 1 taskbar button on the taskbar even though i did not choose the option to group similar taskbar buttons under taskbar properties. Hence when i want to switch between the 2 documents i need to go to window and select them. Hence how do i solve this so that i can have 2 taskbar buttons of the excel documents on the taskbar? Thks in advance. Tools>Options>View, check Windows In taskbar -- HTH Bob Phillips "inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F715432-2EB2-47AC-B737-56D63F37537A@mi...

RIP WLM(XP)
I was distressed to learn this morning that it seems likely that the next version of WLMail will not work on XP. I've a feeling that there are still quite a few dinosaurs like me around - Liveside say that 25% of visits to their site are from XP machines, compared with 13% Vista. http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/liveside/~3/r2Vze8YD3as/wave-4-essentials-to-require-vista-or-windows-7-no-xp.aspx When Wave 2 was introduced, Wave 1 WLMail stopped working with Hotmail (remember all those 'deprecated version' errors?). I wonder if the same will happen now... -- Noel IE9 Preview S...

a larger window to view the files
Hello, When I click on the "FILE, OPEN" menu items I get a dialogue box showing a list of all the Excel files on my directory and then I can chose the file I want to open. Often, before I select which file I want, I need to resize the columns (Name, Size, type, modified) within that dialogue box to look at various properties and it would be ever so useful if there existed a Macro or utility that presented the list of files in a somewhat larger window so that I did not need to move the column widths each time. Needless to say, this does not just apply to Excel but that is a prog I ...

Unable to import Quicken file to Money
I am trying to import my QUICKEN 2004 data file (QDATA.QDF) into Money 2004. I followed all the directions and validated the QDATA file first, but NOTHING imports. All I get are messages that indicate "Your Quicken file contained invalid transaction types". The only transactions I have are account (Checking and Savings) transactions - debits and credits. I have tried this a number of times, and downloaded all updates to Money, but nothing ever converts. Can anyone help? You can not import Q2004 into M2004. You'll have to wait a few more days and then import it into M2...

Receiveing the same email twice ??
when I receive some message the same message is downloaded twice or if the message is already in the inbox, it is downloaded for a second time. I am having this with outlook 2002 & 2003 on different PC's and when I use outlook express on both PC's, I dont get the proplem. Can anyone tell me how to stop this happening, Please, please, please. ...

outlook cant find file MSOE.DLL
when i try to open outlook an error msg comes up - cannot locate file MSOE.DLL. when i went to start, find, folder/files and searched for it i found it. how can i fix the problem please help. If you're using XP, it should be in the Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Outlook Express. This implies that it associates with the user who's logged into the system. Are you logging in as User Name in the above example? If not, that's why it can't find it. Further help is available in MSOE.TXT in the same sub-directory. Good Luck! <dinky_devil@hotmail.com> wrote...

duplicate emails?
I just switched my Outlook Express account to Hotmail and I seem to be getting 2 or duplicates of any emails that are sent to me. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Mark pajosenden(deletethis)@hotmail.com I have found that if I set my OE to NOT OPEN IN THE INBOX the duplication does not occur. You may want to go over to the following site and look further for a solution: http://www.tomsterdam.com/ -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6f8f01c42fb5$2ba22850$a601280a@phx.gbl... I just switched my Outlook Expres...