Does Antivirus software work in Windows Live Mail?

Hi.

I've been using Kaspersky for a few years now without fail.  I don't think
the anti-spam and Virus are working With Windows Live.  With Outlook, I would
get a popup that would scan email messages before it would download them.  Is
this feature now gone?

Thanks

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 07:07:01 -0800, Jet wrote:

> I've been using Kaspersky for a few years now without fail.  I don't think
> the anti-spam and Virus are working With Windows Live.  With Outlook, I would
> get a popup that would scan email messages before it would download them.  Is
> this feature now gone?

That would be a feature of Kaspersky; probably designed to work with some
Oulook specific APIs. So not so much "gone", as "not present".

I know of one program which indexes files (a Desktop search engine) which
does not index WLMail files.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

As far as e-mail scanning, that is the last thing you want in WLMail, or
WinMail and OE for that matter.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

Note that for some AV programs, it may be necessary to uninstall the
program and reinstall in Custom Mode and uncheck e-mail scanning when the
option arises.
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP [Mail]

"Jet" <Jet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I've been using Kaspersky for a few years now without fail.  I don't
> think
> the anti-spam and Virus are working With Windows Live.  With Outlook, I
> would
> get a popup that would scan email messages before it would download
> them.  Is
> this feature now gone?
>
> Thanks

0
Bruce

Windows 7 and Office XP Install
Can I install Office XP on Windows 7? Is there backward compatibility issues? Thanks. Problems primarily with Outlook "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A356E169-3BC3-4C54-907D-ABBA86E14733@microsoft.com... > Can I install Office XP on Windows 7? Is there backward compatibility > issues? > Thanks. ...

drop cap works sporadically
Sometimes this feature works as its supposed to and other times it makes the space but doesn't insert the drop cap. I am using the same style, font, size each time. The program seems to have a mind of its own. I have tried closing the program and re-opening it but the same thing keeps happening. help please. The only cause of this would be your video card driver needs updating. Go to the website of your video card manufacturer and download and install the latest version of for model and correct version of Windows. There is no known issues with Dropcaps in any version of Publisher. A...

Windows 7 and Outlook 2007 12-11-09
Aftetr installing Windows 7 everytime I open Oulook 2007 it opens very tiny. I can barely see a sliver of the top bar. "MSBreault" <MSBreault@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54B40CF5-0102-473A-AB76-CF6CD07B4321@microsoft.com... > Aftetr installing Windows 7 everytime I open Oulook 2007 it opens very > tiny. > I can barely see a sliver of the top bar. Try right-clicking the Outlook icon, choose Properties and see what the Run box is set to in the Shortcut tab. ...

VC++ workspace window
Hi, I would like to create something that resembles VC++ workspace window. I created a dialog bar, the dialog bar template. The Dialogbar class is poorly supported. I searched the net for help and found some things that enables DDX support. Great! The other issues are making it resizable. Not sure how to do that. Positioning the workspace window. Coding the logic behind this. It would be nice to see someone else's code on this, cause this is hard to do. Anyone aware of a code example on this? "Hanna-Barbera" <hb@nulllink.com> wrote in message news:O6ta%23cp5DHA.2572...

Delayed Mail to AOL and Yahoo / Reverse DNS?
Hi. We recently got an Exchange 2003 server up. Most mail can be sent and received fine. However some messages sent to large providers like AOL and Yahoo are not received. First the message is delayed then it fails completely. I suspect the issue is related to DNS. The domain that supports our LAN is not registered. The one that supports our email is. The Exchange server logs into fakedomain.com, but handles mail for realdomain.com. We have a DNS server on fakedomain.com, but external DNS (for fakedomain.com) is handled by our ISP. They also entered the info for reverse DNS. When I run...

how can I send a mail who would set a meeting without outlook? #2
Hello everybody, I'm actually working on an application how send e-mail, to appoint people for a meeting. I want to be able to set this appointement in the calendarif the user use Outlook. How can I do this? Thanks Denis ...

Outlook 2003 keeps forgetting my mail sort order and server rules
I have Outlook 2003 on XP Pro and a couple weeks ago my sort order, or "Arrange by" just spontaneously started resetting itself periodically throughout the day (I have Outlook open all day at work) and whenever I restart the application. I usually sort by flag, but it keeps resetting to sorting only by date. Sounds like a registry issue, I guess, but I have done a repair from the CD and also uninstalled - reinstalled without improvement. On the same day, it also stopped processing server rules. I have re-applied all my rules and even created a couple new ones to try and sort this...

can i use office 2000 on windows XP and what is the pricing of 20.
Hi Sherree. (1) Yes (2) Check Ebay, perhaps. --- Regards, Norman "Sherree" <Sherree@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AC7EC94-F748-4014-BED0-D87DA24DDF74@microsoft.com... > thanks, youve been very helpful "Norman Jones" wrote: > Hi Sherree. > > (1) Yes > > (2) Check Ebay, perhaps. > > --- > Regards, > Norman > > > > "Sherree" <Sherree@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:3AC7EC94-F748-4014-BED0-D87DA24DDF74@microsoft.com... > > > > > ...

Second Post: Multiple Mail Sends
Sorry to cross post folks - first request on these Outlook forums so not sure which of these two to use for best response. I have Outlook 2002 and am having problems with multiple sending of files with large attachments. For example, a mail with 3 * 1meg jpegs was sent by my system and was at 100% on the send bar, then suddenly it starts to resend again. In fact it sends as many times as it can and some recipients have gotten 12 copies of the same mail. All the while in my outbox the file looks like it has not been sent! My ISP (plusnet) claims no responsibility but my thought is that Outlo...

Windows Media Player stopped finding albumn info
I've been using Windows Media Player 11 for a couple of years with mostly good results. Recently (since about last December), when I rip a new CD for the library, media player displays "Unknown Albumn" and won't manually or automatically find the albumn info, track info, or cover art. Has something changed? Is there some other setting that could be causing this problem? If you go to WMP's Options - Library, is "Retrieve additional information from the Internet" checked? Also, on the Privacy tab, "Display media information from the Internet&q...

How to make our window stay on top of all other applications (like modal).
Hi, I want to make one of my small preview window on top. That window should be on top of all other applications (at least should be on top of my main application.) So, if I minimize my main application that window should also get minimized. and I should be able to work in my main application. Because this on top window is just for preview purpose.. the work will be done in the main window.. If i make this window modal dialog, I am not able to work in main application as i have to close modal dialog first. So, is there any API which enables me to show non-modal dialog but it still comes on to...

opening protected excel for windows file using excel for mac
I am attempting to open a file with locked cells, created using excel for windows, on a mac machine using excel for mac, but am getting "unable to open encrypted file". Is there any solution? Are the two Excel products incompatible in that way? Budseal wrote: > I am attempting to open a file with locked cells, created using excel for > windows, on a mac machine using excel for mac, but am getting "unable to open > encrypted file". > Is there any solution? Are the two Excel products incompatible in that way? > Excel for Mac can not open encr...

Microsoft Outlook & Windows NT
I tried to open Microsoft Outlook but I couldn't. The system send me a message that a dll file is missing. Where can I find and download the entire application. I would prefer to reinstall all the program Version of Outlook, what dll-file is mentioned in the error? Outlook isn't available as a download just on CD. You can contact Microsoft if you need a replacement set. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Bayardo Velasquez" <velasquezruiz@y...

Resize/restore of other users folder and Outlook 2002 SP2 client not working.
Outlook 2002 SP2 Restore does not work when maximized or minimized. When I open another users folder it starts out minimized and I must right-click it and chose max to get it on the screen. Once maximized the restore button makes it minimized. Tried to right-click -> size (and move) but that doesn't work either. The same goes for the Outlook client. It can't be resized for some reason. When using minimize a simple click will maximize but when restore has been clicked from Maximized possition it minimizes and the only way back is right-click it and chose max. Restore does nothing. ...

How do I get the vertical lines back (that show mail heirachy structure)
Outlook2003/Windows2000 Hi How can I get the vertical lines that show the heirachy structure back? Outlook2003 seems to have got rid of them... but I like being able to see what's going on! (I really HATE the way microsoft does that by default to Windows explorer too!) Ship Shiperton Henethe ship <shiphen@gmail.com> wrote: > Outlook2003/Windows2000 > > How can I get the vertical lines that show the heirachy structure > back? Try using the Folder List view in the Navigation Pane. -- Brian Tillman Brian Thanks - but how do I do all that?! I have got the Nav...

Got a virus, fixed it, now my windows is stuck in the classic skin and won't connect to the internet...
So I got the AntiSpyware Soft virus/spam/whatever it's considered recently because I was an idiot and left my computer on for a week while I was out of town with out my firewall on. I wrestled with it for a while, but I finally got rid of it. Last night my computer was working just fine, internet and all, in the XP Silver skin. This morning however, my computer is taking for ever to load up, and when it finally does it's stuck in the windows classic scheme and my computer is stuck in acquiring the address when trying to connect to my internet through my router. Every other co...

error message when opening mail (sometime)
Error Message: "There was an error opening this message. An error has occurred. Running Windows 7 This only happened on two emails from people I regularly get mail from. Both of these emails had been opened earlier and I was going back to re-read them when this message occurred. I wrote to Microsoft Help line but did not get a response (yet). Anyone know of a fix? We heard you the first time. When someone that knows the answer sees your post, you will see the reply. We are all volunteers and don't always answer posts in fourteen minutes. -- Bru...

Can't open publisher file after mail merge?
There are no Office Assistant Characters Installed. Run maintenance setup and install? This is the message I receive when trying to open it from the "printer", Microsoft Office Document Image. I did save a file as a Word document that was my contact list from Outlook but can not open this either? I can only open my publisher file as a Microsoft Office Document Image but can't find or open it in Publisher to edit. ...

Windows sharepoint services is not configured
We have SBS 2008 Premium 64bit. I did a reinstall of it and the first "installation issue" that came up was this: "Windows sharepoint services is not configured". I posted this in the SBS newsgroup and I haven't gotten an answer yet. I was wondering if anyone here could help me. Please advise and thanks. ------=_NextPart_0001_B8D74847 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit During the install only the binaries will be installed. After that you need to configure sharepoint by creating config & content DB's. If you have a pre...

Retrieve deleted mail
Hi All, I have discovered one of my user likes to delete some mail that he didn't follow up. Reason is to remove evidence so that boss can't do anything. Is there a way to keep a copy to server or any better way? I would appreciate someone could help me. Thanks Regards, Alan Lim Please continue your first thread. Alan Lim wrote: > Hi All, > > I have discovered one of my user likes to delete some mail that he > didn't follow up. Reason is to remove evidence so that boss can't do > anything. Is there a way to keep a copy to server or any better way? > I wo...

DPM Newsgroup will stop working from June 30. 06-29-10
As many of you already would have read about newsgroup deprecation. DPM newsgroup will be deprecated on June 30 onwards. To discourage activity on newsgroup and to encourage everybody to move to Technet forum, from now onwards DPM team will not be actively verifying that the customer queries are answered in newsgroup. Everybody who is using the newsgroup to get queries answered please shift to technet forum before newsgroup services are stopped. Technet Forum website: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/dataprotectionmanager/threads. You need a Live ID to...

Exchange 2000 on windows 2000 SBS
I am getting the following error from my event log. Virtual server1: The specified mail queue directory is not valid. Cannot start the SMTP service. The event ID is 429. I've tried to start the virtual server within exchange system manager but i keep getting the error message to look at the event log due to it generated a message. I keep getting the above error message in my event log. Any help would be appreciated. From inside Exchange System Manager, drill down to the SMTP virtual server and select Properties. Go to the Messages tab, and verify that the folder listed under &q...

purge logs SMTPSVC1 C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1
I have 2 exchange with about 500 user , the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1 has a size of 7 gb, how i clean the old log, just deleting them or there a procedure for do that Thanks Richard On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:55:01 -0700, Corvety <Corvety@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have 2 exchange with about 500 user , the folder >C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1 has a size of 7 gb, how i clean the old >log, just deleting them or there a procedure for do that > >Thanks > >Richard Delete them and since you never use them you can go into the proper...

I don't want Outlook to automatically check for new mail when it starts
(Outlook 2000) I've searched on everything I can think of in the knowledge base, Outlook help, and the advanced search on microsoft.com. All I want to do is change the most basic preference in any e-mail program: set it to NOT check for mail when it starts up. Dumbfounded and dazed... You've posted no information that would permit an answer. Post your mail account type, Connection type, and automatic polling settings. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Steve" <jillcoan@comcast.net> wrote in message news:368201c3e21c$719fde10$a501280a@phx.gbl... > (Outlook 200...

Macro doesn't work but recording it does.
Hi all, I've recorded the following macro and as it's recording the pagebreak is deleted without a problem. Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Range("F143").Select ActiveSheet.HPageBreaks(1).Delete End Sub If I try to run the macro (making sure all the conditions are the same. ie the page break is there), I get the error message "Application - Defined or Object - Defined Error. Anyone know why this would happen. (I'm using Office 2000.) Rob I don't know why it won't work. Which line gets the error message in debug "Rob" wrote: ...