Contact oddity and why are there 2 Contact Lists?

Running Win 7, and was receiving emails in WLM with my maiden name listed in
the TO:.  I found out that I had my maiden name listed in Contacts (I run a
high school mailing list here) so I decided to check it out and changed the
last name to all caps.  Sure enuf the next email I rec'd showed that name.
I then deleted the email address connected to my name in the contact list
and everything is back to "normal" (whatever that is <G>)

Why in the world are there 2 contact lists on my computer......one thru WLM
and one thru Windows Contacts?

I'm confused.

         AnnE in MN

0
AnnE

WLMail keeps 2 or more Contact lists.  There is a default Contact list when
you are not signed in and a Contact list for each Live ID login.  Do you
always login to Windows Live when you start WLMail?
When signed in, the Contacts will also be stored at contacts.live.com .
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP-Mail

"AnnE " <austin_anne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Running Win 7, and was receiving emails in WLM with my maiden name listed
> in the TO:.  I found out that I had my maiden name listed in Contacts (I
> changed the last name to all caps.  Sure enuf the next email I rec'd
> showed that name. I then deleted the email address connected to my name in
> the contact list and everything is back to "normal" (whatever that is <G>)
>
> Why in the world are there 2 contact lists on my computer......one thru
> WLM and one thru Windows Contacts?
>
> I'm confused.
>
>         AnnE in MN

0
Ron
12/16/2009 1:53:00 PM
Hi Ron, thanks for responding.  I love the fact that I can view Microsoft
NGs in my WLM.

I am not signing in as in LIVE ID login.  Decided I didn't need to get my
emails from gmail, yahoo, hotmail as I do that from my iPod Touch.  Or I
login while on the net........sometimes. <G>

I think it's very confusing to say the least.  The other contact list
(Windows) shows pictures of the contact which I put in there many months
ago...guess it was with XP. (then I had Vista, Win7 eval copy and now full
version Win7)  Sheesh, I'm tired just typing all those.

I have 600+ contacts in my WLM list and I do not want to "store" them at
contact.live.com (but was told maybe that would be a good way to have them
for a good backup.  Ummmmm.  I have over 900 in that Windows Contact List
but I know some are in error and some are duplicates so when I finally get
settled with installing some programs that got booted when installing the
new Win 7, I hope to have that Windows Contact List updated.

I see there is an icon next to the WLM contact, in the future might there be
a way of including a picture of that contact?

Appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks          AnnE in MN

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> WLMail keeps 2 or more Contact lists.  There is a default Contact list
> when you are not signed in and a Contact list for each Live ID login.  Do
> you always login to Windows Live when you start WLMail?
> When signed in, the Contacts will also be stored at contacts.live.com .
> --
> Ron Sommer
> MS MVP-Mail
>
> "AnnE " <austin_anne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Running Win 7, and was receiving emails in WLM with my maiden name listed
>> in the TO:.  I found out that I had my maiden name listed in Contacts (I
>> changed the last name to all caps.  Sure enuf the next email I rec'd
>> showed that name. I then deleted the email address connected to my name
>> in the contact list and everything is back to "normal" (whatever that is
>> <G>)
>>
>> Why in the world are there 2 contact lists on my computer......one thru
>> WLM and one thru Windows Contacts?
>>
>> I'm confused.
>>
>>         AnnE in MN

0
AnnE
12/16/2009 3:11:45 PM
Ann,
 If you have Windows Contacts in Win7, they came from
a. Upgrading from Vista
b. User imported from saved file to the Windows Contacts folder in Win7

Windows Contacts and its folder are included in Windows 7 for backward compatibility to ensure contacts aren't lost and can be
moved via an import to another email client installed on Windows 7 or export for archive/backup purposes.

Pictures for a Contact in Windows Live Mail
    - Not an option for the user to create.
    - Display pics for contacts with Live ID's are controlled by the contact and their sharing settings.

If you don't use a Live ID then contacts are only stored locally. The two practical methods to backup those contacts(especially
600) are to export to *.csv file or a bit messier, backup the hidden contact.edb file.  Note: WLM is only capable of exporting one
email address, thus if you have a contact with a more than one email address(personal email, work email, other email) you may be
compromising your ability to backup all the data if not using a Live ID.  A Live ID, while syncing with the web interface to store
your contacts, also provides automatic server storage but more importantly a more more robust backup engine(all email fields).

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"AnnE " <austin_anne@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uABEdImfKHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi Ron, thanks for responding.  I love the fact that I can view Microsoft NGs in my WLM.
>
> I am not signing in as in LIVE ID login.  Decided I didn't need to get my emails from gmail, yahoo, hotmail as I do that from my
> iPod Touch.  Or I login while on the net........sometimes. <G>
>
> I think it's very confusing to say the least.  The other contact list (Windows) shows pictures of the contact which I put in
> there many months ago...guess it was with XP. (then I had Vista, Win7 eval copy and now full version Win7)  Sheesh, I'm tired
> just typing all those.
>
> I have 600+ contacts in my WLM list and I do not want to "store" them at contact.live.com (but was told maybe that would be a
> good way to have them for a good backup.  Ummmmm.  I have over 900 in that Windows Contact List but I know some are in error and
> some are duplicates so when I finally get settled with installing some programs that got booted when installing the new Win 7, I
> hope to have that Windows Contact List updated.
>
> I see there is an icon next to the WLM contact, in the future might there be a way of including a picture of that contact?
>
> Appreciate any info you can give me.
>
> Thanks          AnnE in MN
>
> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message news:uvRLXclfKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> WLMail keeps 2 or more Contact lists.  There is a default Contact list when you are not signed in and a Contact list for each
>> Live ID login.  Do you always login to Windows Live when you start WLMail?
>> When signed in, the Contacts will also be stored at contacts.live.com .
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>> MS MVP-Mail
>>
>> "AnnE " <austin_anne@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u$DE84kfKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Running Win 7, and was receiving emails in WLM with my maiden name listed in the TO:.  I found out that I had my maiden name
>>> Sure enuf the next email I rec'd showed that name. I then deleted the email address connected to my name in the contact list
>>> and everything is back to "normal" (whatever that is <G>)
>>>
>>> Why in the world are there 2 contact lists on my computer......one thru WLM and one thru Windows Contacts?
>>>
>>> I'm confused.
>>>
>>>         AnnE in MN

0
winston
12/17/2009 6:13:30 AM
"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ann,
> If you have Windows Contacts in Win7, they came from
> a. Upgrading from Vista
> b. User imported from saved file to the Windows Contacts folder in Win7

Did a clean install of Win 7.  Yep, I think guru did an import for my
contact list.

 > Windows Contacts and its folder are included in Windows 7 for backward
compatibility to ensure contacts aren't lost and can be
> moved via an import to another email client installed on Windows 7 or
> export for archive/backup purposes.
>
> Pictures for a Contact in Windows Live Mail
>    - Not an option for the user to create.
>    - Display pics for contacts with Live ID's are controlled by the
> contact and their sharing settings.

I created a picture for each contact in my high school Windows Contact list
when on XP.  And that list is on my iPod in that Contact list.  I like that
feature.  Why is that silly people icon on the contact list in WLM?

> If you don't use a Live ID then contacts are only stored locally. The two
> practical methods to backup those contacts(especially 600) are to export
> to *.csv file or a bit messier, backup the hidden contact.edb file.  Note:
> WLM is only capable of exporting one email address, thus if you have a
> contact with a more than one email address(personal email, work email,
> other email) you may be compromising your ability to backup all the data
> if not using a Live ID.  A Live ID, while syncing with the web interface
> to store your contacts, also provides automatic server storage but more
> importantly a more more robust backup engine(all email fields).

But won't exporting to a *.csv file really mess up the list?  I believe I've
done that before when trying to figure out how to do labels.   Yep, on the
backing up of the hidden file....changed it to be NOT hidden and then
backuped the contact.edb file.  But if only one email address is being the
"favorite" one, why should the backup be compromised?

I'll have to think twice about doing this all by Being Online as being
signed in.  Thanks for your input re: this.

                  Anne

> --
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>
> "AnnE " <austin_anne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Ron, thanks for responding.  I love the fact that I can view Microsoft
>> NGs in my WLM.
>>
>> I am not signing in as in LIVE ID login.  Decided I didn't need to get my
>> emails from gmail, yahoo, hotmail as I do that from my iPod Touch.  Or I
>> login while on the net........sometimes. <G>
>>
>> I think it's very confusing to say the least.  The other contact list
>> (Windows) shows pictures of the contact which I put in there many months
>> ago...guess it was with XP. (then I had Vista, Win7 eval copy and now
>> full version Win7)  Sheesh, I'm tired just typing all those.
>>
>> I have 600+ contacts in my WLM list and I do not want to "store" them at
>> contact.live.com (but was told maybe that would be a good way to have
>> them for a good backup.  Ummmmm.  I have over 900 in that Windows Contact
>> List but I know some are in error and some are duplicates so when I
>> finally get settled with installing some programs that got booted when
>> installing the new Win 7, I hope to have that Windows Contact List
>> updated.
>>
>> I see there is an icon next to the WLM contact, in the future might there
>> be a way of including a picture of that contact?
>>
>> Appreciate any info you can give me.
>>
>> Thanks          AnnE in MN
>>
>> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
>>> WLMail keeps 2 or more Contact lists.  There is a default Contact list
>>> when you are not signed in and a Contact list for each Live ID login.
>>> Do you always login to Windows Live when you start WLMail?
>>> When signed in, the Contacts will also be stored at contacts.live.com .
>>> --
>>> Ron Sommer
>>> MS MVP-Mail
>>>
>>> "AnnE " <austin_anne@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
AnnE
12/17/2009 1:59:07 PM
Inline.

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"AnnE " <austin_anne@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OORLUEyfKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Pictures for a Contact in Windows Live Mail
>>    - Not an option for the user to create.
>>    - Display pics for contacts with Live ID's are controlled by the contact and their sharing settings.
>
> I created a picture for each contact in my high school Windows Contact list when on XP.  And that list is on my iPod in that
> Contact list.  I like that feature.  Why is that silly people icon on the contact list in WLM?

 That feature(add photo to contact) as mentioned previously is not an option in WLM(Windows Live Mail).  Display pictures are
controlled by the Contact(Live ID) when configured in Windows Live Messenger(creation of a display picture and  sharing to 'Show my
display picture and allow others to see it')

The iPod uses iTunes to sync contacts.  iTunes currently does not sync with WLM. To accomplish this task, most likely Msft would
have to release the API for WLM and Apple would have to revise iTunes to accommodate sync with WLM.

>> If you don't use a Live ID then contacts are only stored locally. The two practical methods to backup those contacts(especially
>> 600) are to export to *.csv file or a bit messier, backup the hidden contact.edb file.  Note: WLM is only capable of exporting
>> one email address, thus if you have a contact with a more than one email address(personal email, work email, other email) you
>> may be compromising your ability to backup all the data if not using a Live ID.  A Live ID, while syncing with the web interface
>> to store your contacts, also provides automatic server storage but more importantly a more more robust backup engine(all email
>> fields).
>
> But won't exporting to a *.csv file really mess up the list?  I believe I've done that before when trying to figure out how to do
> labels.   Yep, on the backing up of the hidden file....changed it to be NOT hidden and then backuped the contact.edb file.  But
> if only one email address is being the "favorite" one, why should the backup be compromised?

If your contact contains more than one email address, exporting to a csv and later importing will lose the other email
addresses(thus the reason to backup the contacts.edb file periodically or use a Live ID and export/import to/from csv in the web UI
which export/imports the other email addresses fields.

For labels, an export to csv for name, address etc is fine as long as supporting software can use the csv file or data to create
the mailing label.

> I'll have to think twice about doing this all by Being Online as being signed in.  Thanks for your input re: this.
>
>                  Anne
>

>> --
>>  ...winston
>>  ms-mvp mail
>>
>> "AnnE " <austin_anne@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uABEdImfKHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi Ron, thanks for responding.  I love the fact that I can view Microsoft NGs in my WLM.
>>>
>>> I am not signing in as in LIVE ID login.  Decided I didn't need to get my emails from gmail, yahoo, hotmail as I do that from
>>> my iPod Touch.  Or I login while on the net........sometimes. <G>
>>>
>>> I think it's very confusing to say the least.  The other contact list (Windows) shows pictures of the contact which I put in
>>> there many months ago...guess it was with XP. (then I had Vista, Win7 eval copy and now full version Win7)  Sheesh, I'm tired
>>> just typing all those.
>>>
>>> I have 600+ contacts in my WLM list and I do not want to "store" them at contact.live.com (but was told maybe that would be a
>>> good way to have them for a good backup.  Ummmmm.  I have over 900 in that Windows Contact List but I know some are in error
>>> and some are duplicates so when I finally get settled with installing some programs that got booted when installing the new Win
>>> 7, I hope to have that Windows Contact List updated.
>>>
>>> I see there is an icon next to the WLM contact, in the future might there be a way of including a picture of that contact?
>>>
>>> Appreciate any info you can give me.
>>>
>>> Thanks          AnnE in MN

0
winston
12/17/2009 6:57:02 PM

> Inline.

Inline what?

Thanks for your explanation...winston, I will have to "digest" everything
you've said and then make some decisions.

              AnnE in MN

  ...winston
> [...]
>> on the backing up of the hidden file....changed it to be NOT hidden and
>> then backuped the contact.edb file.  But if only one email address is
>> being the "favorite" one, why should the backup be compromised?
>>
> If your contact contains more than one email address, exporting to a csv
> and later importing will lose the other email addresses(thus the reason to
> backup the contacts.edb file periodically or use a Live ID and
> export/import to/from csv in the web UI which export/imports the other
> email addresses fields.
>
> For labels, an export to csv for name, address etc is fine as long as
> supporting software can use the csv file or data to create the mailing
> label.
>

>> I'll have to think twice about doing this all by Being Online as being
>> signed in.  Thanks for your input re: this.

0
AnnE
12/18/2009 12:31:07 AM
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:31:07 -0600, AnnE wrote:

> Inline what?

"Inline" refers to place responses contextually within the quoted section of
an earlier post. Common in the Usenet at large, but unusual within the
Microsoft groups, where the common expectation of the helpers is that
articles are fully quoted, with new comments preceding earlier quotes (aka,
"top posted"). Because "inline" comments are not normal in these groups,
posters doing so commonly (but not always) place that comment at the
beginning of their replies.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

Just for some info here.....I have finally given up with all these contact
lists.  I am now in the process of making an excel "database" of my contacts
that I wish to use as a label for holiday greetings.

This shouldn't be that difficult after all these years!!  I've been making
labels and databases for too many, I do believe.

          AnnE in MN

"N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:31:07 -0600, AnnE wrote:
>
>> Inline what?
>
> "Inline" refers to place responses contextually within the quoted section
> of
> an earlier post. Common in the Usenet at large, but unusual within the
> Microsoft groups, where the common expectation of the helpers is that
> articles are fully quoted, with new comments preceding earlier quotes
> (aka,
> "top posted"). Because "inline" comments are not normal in these groups,
> posters doing so commonly (but not always) place that comment at the
> beginning of their replies.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

0
AnnE

Updating Contacts
I have several folders of contacts, and have the same hierarchy on two computers, I go back and forth between office and home. When I open "outlook84.pst", a .pst file that I brought in on my flash drive, how do I know (or confirm) that's the contact list I'm looking at in outlook, and not the one called "outlook.pst". -- Jim Lamson BMCS USCG (Ret.), Realtor´┐Ż Keller Williams Realty 49 Dartmouth St Portland, ME 04101 Mobile: (207) 671-9458 Voice Mail: (207) 553-2414 Windham Fax (207) 893-0110 Portland Fax (207) 879-9801 Website: http://agent.kw.com/jlamson/ "...

Merging Duplicate Contacts

Meeting updates #2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Problems with creating a newsletter