which does NOT have the "View Image Slide Show" option
shown.

Questions:

#1 Is this a bug for which a fix is known?  If so, how do I
find that fix?

#2 Is there an alternative method to do the same thing?  As
it is now, my choices are to open each file, one at a time,
to view it - or to save all of them to a folder (my
pictures?) and then view them there.

Insights appreciated.

--
----------
CWLee

0
CWLee

I would suspect that there is something different about the messages.

Have you verified that the messages are actually attached to the message
and not just a link to web site?

Take a look at the message source (Ctrl-F3).  Is the problem message
MIME encoded or Uuencoded?

If MIME encoded, what is the Content Type for the images?

For some additional information, see:
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message
> (Running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, SP-2, IE-8, WM-6, WLM-09, classic
> mode, dial-up.)
>
> In Windows Live Mail, most of the time when I receive an email with 2
> or more .jpg files attached, there is an option shown as:  "View Image
> Slide Show".  Clicking on that line brings up a screen which allows me
> to cycle through the attached .jpg files, viewing them in sequence,
> going back and forth as I desire.
>
> About every 10 or so emails having some .jpg files as attachments I
> receive one, with several such attachments, which does NOT have the
> "View Image Slide Show" option shown.
>
> Questions:
>
> #1 Is this a bug for which a fix is known?  If so, how do I find that
> fix?
>
> #2 Is there an alternative method to do the same thing?  As it is now,
> my choices are to open each file, one at a time, to view it - or to
> save all of them to a folder (my pictures?) and then view them there.
>
> Insights appreciated.
>
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
> cows.  Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
> promote for performance, not preferences.

0
Michael
11/26/2009 6:53:13 PM

"Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote:

> Have you verified that the messages are actually attached
> to the message and not just a link to web site?

Yes, I've verified that, and these ARE attachments, not
links.

I'll check out your other suggestions and see what I learn.

Thanks.

0
CWLee
11/26/2009 7:15:37 PM

"Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote:

> Take a look at the message source (Ctrl-F3).  Is the
> problem message MIME encoded or Uuencoded?
>
> If MIME encoded, what is the Content Type for the images?

OK, did that.  Here are my findings:

For an incoming email that works the way I like (i.e., the
"View Image Slide Show" option is engaged):  Mime encoded.
Content Type:  multipart/mixed;
boundary="part1_d2e516da125.383dccda_boundry"

For an incoming email that does NOT work the way I like:
Mime encoded.  Content Type:
multipart/related;type="multipart:/alternative";boundary="----_=_nextpart_001_01ca6e06.e1805aa8"

(Note that I may have misread, miscopied, or otherwise
incorrectly shown one or more of the digits/characters as I
attempted to transfer them from the incoming email to this
message.)

Does this information support your idea that the problem is
due to a difference in the incoming messages?

Thanks.

0
CWLee
11/26/2009 7:33:55 PM
As the OP, I just noted something else of interest.  I
forwarded one of the emails which did not provide the "View
Image Slide Show" option, and in the copy in my "sent"
folder the message appears just as I sent it, PLUS the "View
Image Slide Show" option.  I tried it on that message and it
does work.  So, it appears that I can send one of these
"bad" emails to myself and thereby turn it into a "good"
email.

Comments on this development?

Thanks.

0
CWLee
11/26/2009 9:32:33 PM
Are the received emails(not the one's you sent yourself) that do not provide 'view slide show' sent by someone using Windows Live
Mail or the WebUI interface ?

"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message news:##1dNAubKHA.1640@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> As the OP, I just noted something else of interest.  I forwarded one of the emails which did not provide the "View Image Slide
> Show" option, and in the copy in my "sent" folder the message appears just as I sent it, PLUS the "View Image Slide Show" option.
> I tried it on that message and it does work.  So, it appears that I can send one of these "bad" emails to myself and thereby turn
> it into a "good" email.
>
> Comments on this development?
>
> Thanks.

0
winston
11/27/2009 6:46:26 AM

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are the received emails(not the one's you sent yourself)
> that do not provide 'view slide show' sent by someone
> using Windows Live Mail or the WebUI interface ?

I don't know.

What should I look for in the headers of such messages to
disclose that info - or can I only learn that by asking the
people directly?

Thanks.

0
CWLee
11/27/2009 4:56:55 PM
That wasn�t' the content type I meant, but that does tell me something.

Content Type:  multipart/mixed;  indicates a plain text messages with
attachments.

multipart:/alternative indicates an HTML format message.  And the
multipart/related indicates that the images were embedded in the message
body rather than simple attachments.  For a sender using WLM that means
that the sender did an Insert, Image rather than Insert, File as
Attachment.  If you are reading such a message in plain text (Tools,
Options, Read) then you should see the images listed as attachments with
the slide show option.  If you are reading in HTML format, then the
images should be displayed in the message body.

The content type I was really interested in was the one with the encoded
images further down the message.  Such a content type would be
I was wonder if the problem messages had a non-image type content type.

--

> "Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>> Take a look at the message source (Ctrl-F3).  Is the problem message
>> MIME encoded or Uuencoded?
>>
>> If MIME encoded, what is the Content Type for the images?
>
> OK, did that.  Here are my findings:
>
> For an incoming email that works the way I like (i.e., the "View Image
> Slide Show" option is engaged):  Mime encoded. Content Type:
> multipart/mixed; boundary="part1_d2e516da125.383dccda_boundry"
>
> For an incoming email that does NOT work the way I like: Mime encoded.
> Content Type:
> multipart/related;type="multipart:/alternative";boundary="----_=_nextpart_001_01ca6e06.e1805aa8"
>
> (Note that I may have misread, miscopied, or otherwise incorrectly
> shown one or more of the digits/characters as I attempted to transfer
> them from the incoming email to this message.)
>
> Does this information support your idea that the problem is due to a
> difference in the incoming messages?
>
> Thanks.

0
Michael
11/27/2009 11:04:53 PM
Just trying to narrow down the variables and if Live ID specific.
If I send from a Live ID to another Live ID
Photo e-mail - slide show available, slide show displayed in Internet Explorer
Photos Attached - slide show option available and displayed in Live Photo Gallery
Photos Inline - no slide show

"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message news:OfRUlK4bKHA.5156@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are the received emails(not the one's you sent yourself)
>> that do not provide 'view slide show' sent by someone
>> using Windows Live Mail or the WebUI interface ?
>
> I don't know.
>
> What should I look for in the headers of such messages to
> disclose that info - or can I only learn that by asking the
> people directly?
>
> Thanks.

0
winston
11/28/2009 7:12:15 AM

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just trying to narrow down the variables and if Live ID
> specific.

I don't recognize the term "Live ID specific".  To the best
of my knowledge, "Windows Live Mail" is the only program on
my computer.  I realize it has a calendar, address book
(contacts), Feeds, and the newsgroup options, but I'm
guessing you mean something else when you talk about "Live
ID specific".  Sorry.

0
CWLee
11/30/2009 3:49:42 AM

"Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote:

> That wasn�t' the content type I meant, but that does tell
> me something.
>
> Content Type:  multipart/mixed;  indicates a plain text
> messages with attachments.
>
> multipart:/alternative indicates an HTML format message.
> And the multipart/related indicates that the images were
> embedded in the message body rather than simple
> attachments.  For a sender using WLM that means that the
> sender did an Insert, Image rather than Insert, File as
> Attachment.  If you are reading such a message in plain
> text (Tools, Options, Read) then you should see the images
> listed as attachments with the slide show option.  If you
> are reading in HTML format, then the images should be
> displayed in the message body.

I read only in plain text format, NOT HTML.

> The content type I was really interested in was the one
> with the encoded images further down the message.  Such a
> content type would be
> I was wonder if the problem messages had a non-image type
> content type.

Many thanks.  Since I've discovered that I can send the
emails that don't have the "View Image Slide Show" option to
my self, and thereby enable that feature, I have much less
need to understand why different incoming emails behave the
way they do.  Nevertheless, I' be happy to help you with
your curiosity - but I need a bit more direction about what
you want me to cut and paste, or copy, from the headers for
you.

Thanks again.

0
CWLee
11/30/2009 3:56:27 AM
Since you have something that works for you, I don't see any reason to
pursue this.

You can't control what the sender does.  It's a matter of dealing with
what you get.

--

> "Michael Santovec" <michael_santovec@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>> That wasn�t' the content type I meant, but that does tell me
>> something.
>>
>> Content Type:  multipart/mixed;  indicates a plain text messages with
>> attachments.
>>
>> multipart:/alternative indicates an HTML format message. And the
>> multipart/related indicates that the images were embedded in the
>> message body rather than simple attachments.  For a sender using WLM
>> that means that the sender did an Insert, Image rather than Insert,
>> File as Attachment.  If you are reading such a message in plain text
>> (Tools, Options, Read) then you should see the images listed as
>> attachments with the slide show option.  If you are reading in HTML
>> format, then the images should be displayed in the message body.
>
> I read only in plain text format, NOT HTML.
>>
>> The content type I was really interested in was the one with the
>> encoded images further down the message.  Such a content type would
>> be
>> I was wonder if the problem messages had a non-image type content
>> type.
>
> Many thanks.  Since I've discovered that I can send the emails that
> don't have the "View Image Slide Show" option to my self, and thereby
> enable that feature, I have much less need to understand why different
> incoming emails behave the way they do.  Nevertheless, I' be happy to
> help you with your curiosity - but I need a bit more direction about
> what you want me to cut and paste, or copy, from the headers for you.
>
> Thanks again.

0
Michael
11/30/2009 9:47:06 PM
Windows Live Mail can be operated with or without using a Live ID to sign in to Windows Live.

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message news:eMbfqAXcKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just trying to narrow down the variables and if Live ID
>> specific.
>
> I don't recognize the term "Live ID specific".  To the best
> of my knowledge, "Windows Live Mail" is the only program on
> my computer.  I realize it has a calendar, address book
> (contacts), Feeds, and the newsgroup options, but I'm
> guessing you mean something else when you talk about "Live
> ID specific".  Sorry.

0
winston

"View Image Slide Show"