Win XP Pro 64/32 install, same disc?

A friend recently built a computer for me and installed Win XP Pro 64-bit on
it.  I've been thinking about setting up a dual-boot to also have XP 32-bit,
so I'm wondering if the 64-bit Pro disc might also be able to install the
32-bit version?  Or do I need a separate install disc?

I have a spare XP Home 32-bit I could use, but I'd love to make use of a Pro
version.

I've tried searching for more information on this, but I kept going around
in circles and finding things that don't quite answer this.  And I think I've
read that Windows 7 (and Vista?) install discs can install the 64-bit or
32-bit version as desired.
windows.64bit.general 524 articles. 1 followers. Follow

The x64 XP Pro cannot install 32-bit XP. It is only 64-bit.

You will have to use your XP Home.

Windows 7 and Vista have separate 32 and 64 bit installation disks. It
is usually possible to use the same product key for both 32 and 64 bit
versions.

On 13/01/2010 11:33, M.V. wrote:
> A friend recently built a computer for me and installed Win XP Pro 64-bit on
> it.  I've been thinking about setting up a dual-boot to also have XP 32-bit,
> so I'm wondering if the 64-bit Pro disc might also be able to install the
> 32-bit version?  Or do I need a separate install disc?
>
> I have a spare XP Home 32-bit I could use, but I'd love to make use of a Pro
> version.
>
> I've tried searching for more information on this, but I kept going around
> in circles and finding things that don't quite answer this.  And I think I've
> read that Windows 7 (and Vista?) install discs can install the 64-bit or
> 32-bit version as desired.
0
Dominic
1/13/2010 12:31:32 PM
No it cannot, neither can windows 7, there are separate DVD's for x86 and
x64.

"M.V." <M.V.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A friend recently built a computer for me and installed Win XP Pro 64-bit
>on
> it.  I've been thinking about setting up a dual-boot to also have XP
> 32-bit,
> so I'm wondering if the 64-bit Pro disc might also be able to install the
> 32-bit version?  Or do I need a separate install disc?
>
> I have a spare XP Home 32-bit I could use, but I'd love to make use of a
> Pro
> version.
>
> I've tried searching for more information on this, but I kept going around
> in circles and finding things that don't quite answer this.  And I think
> I've
> read that Windows 7 (and Vista?) install discs can install the 64-bit or
> 32-bit version as desired.

0
David
1/13/2010 2:04:57 PM
If you want to run the 32 bit and 64 bit version of ANY Microsoft operating
system you need a valid - and separate - license/KEY for each operating
system.

Try using the same key and you will find one, or the other, showing up as
not a valid license.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> The x64 XP Pro cannot install 32-bit XP. It is only 64-bit.
>
> You will have to use your XP Home.
>
> Windows 7 and Vista have separate 32 and 64 bit installation disks. It is
> usually possible to use the same product key for both 32 and 64 bit
> versions.
>

> On 13/01/2010 11:33, M.V. wrote:
>> A friend recently built a computer for me and installed Win XP Pro 64-bit
>> on
>> it.  I've been thinking about setting up a dual-boot to also have XP
>> 32-bit,
>> so I'm wondering if the 64-bit Pro disc might also be able to install the
>> 32-bit version?  Or do I need a separate install disc?
>>
>> I have a spare XP Home 32-bit I could use, but I'd love to make use of a
>> Pro
>> version.
>>
>> I've tried searching for more information on this, but I kept going
>> around
>> in circles and finding things that don't quite answer this.  And I think
>> I've
>> read that Windows 7 (and Vista?) install discs can install the 64-bit or
>> 32-bit version as desired.

0
Richard
1/13/2010 6:58:28 PM
Thanks, that covered it!

I figured it would at best be a case of being able to use the license/key
for one or the other, but not both at the same time.  The more I'd thought
about this today the more I was hoping it might be a case where I could
remove the 64-bit for now and just use a 32-bit install from it.

So I'll just wipe the 64-bit Pro, dig out my other 32-bit Home to install,
then add the 64-bit later onto another partition when I'm ready to work with
it again.

I don't technically need the extra functionality from the 64-bit OS, it's
just what my friend got me to put into the system.

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> The x64 XP Pro cannot install 32-bit XP. It is only 64-bit.
>
> You will have to use your XP Home.
>
> Windows 7 and Vista have separate 32 and 64 bit installation disks. It
> is usually possible to use the same product key for both 32 and 64 bit
> versions.

Installing HTML Help on client PCs
I have been using WinHelp with my application up to now, and want to go over to using HTML Help, but am put off by the fact that users of my application have all kinds of PCs, with all versions of Windows (some pretty old) and I am told that they have to have Internet Explorer installed for HTML Help to work. So my choices appear to be: (1) Find some way of supporting both WinHelp and HTML help, so that even users who don't have I.E. an get some kind of Help. (2) (Alternatively) Always install I.E. automatically if it isn't already there. I've tried investigating both opti...

can't install equation editor
Hello, I am trying to install the equation editor from my Microsoft Word v.X install CD, but have been stymied so far. I first insert the CD, double click on the value pack folder, and open the value pack installer. Everything seems to work fine to that point. I then select the Equation Editor from the available option in the value pack installer, and I click continue. After a couple of seconds of processing, an error message comes up: Error creating file. 1008:5,-5000 Access denied error "OK" is the only option, which then brings up "An error occurred that prevented the pr...

Win CE
Is there a software that can be run on Win CE operating system to run an Access Databse? On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:11:00 -0800, mdbbkm <mdbbkm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a software that can be run on Win CE operating system to run an >Access Databse? I haven't found one, and I'd like to. The closest I've seen is Pendragon Forms, http://www.pendragon-software.com/. It's not cheap but I did run the trial version for a while, and it looks like it could make a good interface to an Access database on a desktop. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Install Hang
This one is driving me mad! I'm trying to install Exchange 2003 Enterprise on a very simply network (a firewall, a domain controller and an exchange box). Yet I can't get passed ForestPrep. It gets to "Configuring registry entries for Microsoft Windows Active Directory schema update", then just hangs. I have added all logical updates. The outputs of dcdiag and netdiag are fine. In the Exchange Server Setup Process log the last line is "Process Created .... Waiting (-1)", and then nothing. Does anyone have any idea? Take a look at the Exchange Setup Log in th...

32 bit Vista Ultimate to 64 bit Vista Ultimate
I just migrated to 64 bit Vista and I have Windows Mail. When I was using 32 bit Vista I had all my Hotmail folders, newsgroups, calendar, etc. when I selected the Mail icon. Is there a way to migrate Hotmail to Windows Mail, or a way to replace Windows Mail with what I had when I was using 32 bit Vista? I had IE 8 with 32 bit and I have IE 8 with 64 bit. Wayne When you click on the Mail button in IE8, it opens the default email program. In Vista, the default is set to Windows Mail. To make Hotmail webmail the default, try this... http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/2...

How to install two video adapter driver using the same WDDM driver?
How do I install two video adapters drivers using the same WDDM driver? Microsoft said: "The user could change the graphics hardware configuration by choosing multiple graphics adapters that use the same WDDM driver. Graphics adapters from the same ASIC family generally have the same graphics driver. In late 2006, each of the major graphics vendors had a single WDDM driver for all supported WDDM graphics adapters." http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/multimonVista.mspx http://www.realtime-vista.com/installation/2006/12/enhanced_support_for_dual_moni.htm We we trying to u...

Ctrl+Alt+Del on XP Pro causing GP 7.5 to hang
Hi there, My Manager's laptop is running XP Pro (SP1). GP 7.5 (SP4), FRx, & Changer are all loaded onto his laptop. When he locks his laptop (Ctrl+Alt+Del), the laptop is fine. But when he comes back to unlock it,and if Great Plains was open, it will hang his laptop for up to 2 minutes before returning to full funtionality. Another Manager of ours has an identical laptop with XP Pro (SP1), GP 7.5 (SP4), and FRx. But she doesn't have Changer installed. AND SHE RUNS GREAT. Is there a known issue with Changer/GP in this regard? Thank you for your time, Bobby If you copy th...

Open 1.0 Pub File in Publisher 2003 XP Office version
I have some old .pub files that are dated 1992. I assume these are Publisher 1.0 files. Am I just screwed, or is there any way to open these files in Publisher 2003? When I try to open the files, it seems to start to load in Publisher, then it stops and displays an error saying "cannot open file". I don't have Norton Anti-Virus. I have Macafee Anti-virus and I disabled it. Thanks! Eric -- All The Best Eric Lemmons Eric Lemmons <EricLemmons@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have some old .pub files that are dated 1992. I assume thes...

Install error 10-17-07
Hello Everyone, I am getting error every time I try installing MS CRM 3.0 I am trying to install CRM on d:\program files instead of default installation path...is this a problem? ----Error---- 04:08:48| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ProvisionBusinessAction failed. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131534. at Microsoft.Crm.Platform.ComProxy.CBizOrganizationClass.IBizOrganization_CreateRootBusiness(String OrganizationId, String BusinessXml, String UserXml) at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.Pr...

problem installing KB898461 with sp2
I have win xp sp2. every time i try to install kb898461 the system says it was unsuccessful or unable to etc. I don't know how to fix it. please help option 2 is if someone can help me block that update so it does not bother me again. thank you Singh wrote: > I have win xp sp2. > every time i try to install kb898461 the system says it was > unsuccessful or unable to etc. I don't know how to fix it. please > help > > option 2 is if someone can help me block that update so it does not > bother me again. Hide it. Or - better yet - cleanup...

Silent Installation of CRM Client for Outlook
How can i Script the installation routine to install CRM Client for Outlook in Silent Mode? ...

RPC over HTTP and Win 2000?
I know that RPC over HTTP works with Exchange 2k3, Outlook 2k3, and XP; the question is does Exchange 2k3, Outlook 2k3, and WIN 2000 work? I have a mixed bag of clients (some people complained loudly enough to the right people to be left out of the XP migration because "2000 is better") some Win 2000 some XP, all Office 2003, can I make this work or will I have to convince the powers that be that it is time to upgrade to XP? TIA, --Kevin Queen Only Windows XP (SP1) + patch 331320 or newer need apply for RPC over HTTPs. (Last I heard, the changes will not be rolled back...

gmtime and 32 bit equivalent
Hi, I have used gmtime regularly through my project, developed in VS2003. I now want to port it to VS2005, but also I need to build in VS2003 for a short while. VS2005 whinges and wants to move to _gmtime32_s (which I have done), but it's not a function available for VS2003. Is there an equivalent safe function in VS2003 that wont generate warnings in VS2005? TIA Tony #pragma warning(disable) can disable this warning until you are ready for it; alternatively, you can look for _MSC_VER and have different values for the two builds, and conditionalize your code based the value (e...

New WIN98 Installation Failure
Following my dual-boot Win 98SE/XP-Pro, 966 mHz P3, computer's mother board failure, I decided to reinstall everything on a new hard drive in a different 3.2 gHz P4 machine (known to previously be in good working condition) that has 3 gB of RAM installed. The PC's 'set-up' screen indicates the RAM is in good order. As a first step, I installed Win98SE, directly from CD-R, to the new and unused hard drive in the same way I have done several times in the past. After the installation, the PC rebooted and the Win98SE initial screen came up. Then, the following ...

Money Plus install problems
Help!!! I have a laptop running XP Home. Attempted to upgrade Money 2007 to Money Plus. The money plus install failed to load all the necessary componets, and suggested I try to reinstall. Same result with second attempts. Wrote MS an email describing problem. Received two emails with 45 step process that was to correct a known problem. As you probably guessed this did not solve my install problem. Anyone else run into this problem, and have a resolution? Thanks in advance I'm also having installation problems with MS Money Plus Deluxe on my laptop which has Windows Vist...

Money 2002 on Vista. "Money is not properly installed..."
I have Microsoft Money 2002 installed on vista home premium (32bit). It installs and runs fine until i reboot the PC then it comes up with "Money is not properly installed. Please try setup again" message. If I reinstall it will run fine again until the next reboot. Turning off Money Express in the task bar and selecting not to start money express when windows starts in future seems to fix this error but I was wondering if there was a better solution for this? "JeremyNZ" wrote: > I have Microsoft Money 2002 installed on vista home premium (32bit). It > inst...

Can't setup Exchange after installing 2008 from 2004
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange We are doing a migration to Exchange 2007 and everything is going fine but I have one machine that was using Entourage 2004 Student and teacher edition and we upgraded to Entourage 2008. Now when we try to setup Exchange on the new version, it gives us a message that Exchange cannot be setup on the Student and Teacher version? <br><br>Any ideas? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001C_01CA8354.942318A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=&q...

Post Installation problems
I have installed CRM as per the CRM Implimentation training guide, I have restarted the SBS 2003 server, logged back in as the CRM Admin login, checked that all the correct services have loaded and are running. I now open a browser and point to the crm website, I get a CRM error message with the following information: "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator." Can anyone help???? Thanks. Check your event viewer, see if there's any errors. You might also need to check your services, make sure the CRM Security Service is started. &q...

Unable to install or uninstall any software
Vista states an installer is already running when attempting to uninstall any software. Error: "Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is complete, and then try installing this software again." Even while logged in as Admin, after reboot, turing off Anti-Virus, and checking the running processes for any msi or Windows Installer entries. At one point I disabled the Windows Installer service, rebooted the PC, and then started the service again just to get an application installed. What can be done so I don't have to go through this...

Access XP
I like to know if there are big differences between Access XP and the precedent versions and if there are any, in what they consist (somebody asked me to convert an older Access database to Access XP and I worked only with 2000 and 98 until now; from my point of view it shouldn’t be a big deal). Hi livia, There are no dramatic differences between Access 2000 and Access 2002 (the version in Office XP). In fact by default Access 2002 uses the Access 2000 file format. These links provide useful information: Access 2.0 and Access 97 to Access 2000/2003 conversion issues/problems/bugs: http://w...

installation
Could publisher 2000 & 2002 coexist in the same operation system? If so, is there any recommendation how to install pub 2002 to a current windows 98 with pub 2000? Thanks. You can load every version if you like. I'm running 2000, 2002, 2003 B2. You simply have to select custom install and then use the option to NOT replace an existing version. I myself always replace their default folder path with a custom one that's different for each version. -- David Bartosik - Microsoft MVP Visit www.davidbartosik.com for Publisher and Web Design Tips and How-to's. "nelson"...

Installing hybrid tuner card in XP MCE 2005
I have installed the Vbox 164e hybrid card. It receives both NTSC and ATSC. Originally I was receiving ATSC signals in XP MCE 2005, an OEM version. When the local OTAs went digital, I installed Rofollup 2 to allow digital OTA reception. However, I I have never been able to receive full functionality from this set up. For example, I am unable to use Automatic Scan for signals, but must resort to Manual. Also, I'm not able to properly receive two of the five local signals, even though the specs on the tuner card exceed the specs on my Sony flatscreen, where I have no issues. I ...

How can client read .pub document without MS Publisher installed??
I just finished a super complicated brochure that I am quite satisfied with. Unfortunately, it is useless because my clients are unable to open it since none of them have MS Publisher installed on their computers. ---- I tried converting it to various formats but it loses too much to be used. ----- Does anyone have any clue how this problem can be solved.....Q-U-I-C-K-L-Y? Thanks in advance! Steve Three letters - PDF -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "nj-professor" <njprofessor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3EB7D1AF-F318-430F-955B-AF328199...

Linking QuickBooks Pro reports to Excel
How to create automatic links from QuickBooks Pro 2004 to excel? ...

Problem ugrading from XP Home to XP Pro
Currently using XP Home Edition (Upgraded from Win 2000). Just purchased XP Pro Upgrade w/sp2. Inserted CD and clicked on Install Windows XP. Windows Setup Error 1: Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD. Windows Setup Error 2: Setup cannot continue because upgrade functionality is disabled and your copy of Windows XP only allows upgrades. Specifications clearly stated that I could upgrade from XP Home edition without clean install. Have too many programs installed on current version to consider a clean i...