Open Office and Windows 7 64-bit Compatibility

Is Open Office compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?

Are there any special installation procedures one must follow, such as "run
as administrator", install as Vista or Windows XP, etc.?

As a long time user of Office 2000, what's the learning curve like in
transitioning to Open Office?

Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thank You,
Richard

0
Richard
1/3/2010 4:17:52 AM
windows.64bit.general 524 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Open Office runs fine on Windows 7 x64. If you are an Office power user OO
id probably not for you. For most people it is an excellent competitor to
Microsoft Office. As it's free to try there's no downside to seeing if it
works for you. Personally I'm using Office 2010 beta which is also free for
the beta period.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Richard" <Reply@Communities.Thanks> wrote in message
> Is Open Office compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?
>
> Are there any special installation procedures one must follow, such as
> "run as administrator", install as Vista or Windows XP, etc.?
>
> As a long time user of Office 2000, what's the learning curve like in
> transitioning to Open Office?
>
> Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated.
> --
> Thank You,
> Richard

0
Kerry
1/3/2010 5:18:31 AM
Ken, Thanks for your response. Based on that I have a few additional
questions before I venture installation.

Currently on my new HP Notebook, running Windows 7 64-bit, I have Works 9.0
which was preinstalled by HP. I find Works to be more limited than I like
especially in the area of spreadsheets.

QUESTIONS:

Does the OO spreadsheet allow for multiple worksheets in a file, with
"linking" between worksheets and/or files?

Does the OO spreadsheet allow for formatting of Headers & Footers? Can't
seem to do this in Works 9.0.

Formatting in Works 9.0 Word Processor seems to require saving additional
templates.
Does OO allow for "default format settings" in the (for lack of a better
phrase) "main or default" OO new document, as was the case in Office 2000?

I have a simple database file that I originally setup in Access 2000. This
is just a simple list of books read over time. I was successful in
converting this to Works 9.0 but again find formatting to be somewhat
cumbersome. (This may just be a Works 9.0 "newbie" issue).
If I install OO, will I be able to convert this database file from Works 9.0
to OO?

What is the scheduled "release date" for Office 2010?

Will Office 2010 offer a suite that contains Word, Excel and Access, without
Outlook?
I'm using WLM for my email application with ISP email accounts and it seems
to meet my email needs plus it allows me newsgroup access.
When I had Office 2000, I needed Outlook for mail and Outlook Express for
newsgroups.

Since I have a number of Office 2000 and now Works 9.0 files, will I be able
to convert ALL of them to Office 2010 without "major" complications?

What are you seeing as the biggest improvements or sacrifices between Office
2010 and Office 2000? It seems from monitoring various Microsoft newsgroups
and communities that they tend to remove some functionality previously
provided in their new applications and operating systems while adding some
new functionality.

Depending on the responses, I may just wait of Office 2010, provided that it
isn't too long of a wait. I dislike installing and uninstalling applications
because it seems that you always leave behind debris form registry entries
to useless folders. I'm not "techie" enough to venture into the registry,
(I've learned the hard way) and I've never found a "registry cleaner", free
or paid, that I trust. I only have one computer and I don't want to risk
doing things that require a complete system recovery to fix. I've been
there, done that too many times. It's not fun and very time consuming.

I hope that you don't mind all of the questions.
--
Thank You,
Richard

> Open Office runs fine on Windows 7 x64. If you are an Office power user OO
> id probably not for you. For most people it is an excellent competitor to
> Microsoft Office. As it's free to try there's no downside to seeing if it
> works for you. Personally I'm using Office 2010 beta which is also free
> for the beta period.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "Richard" <Reply@Communities.Thanks> wrote in message
>> Is Open Office compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?
>>
>> Are there any special installation procedures one must follow, such as
>> "run as administrator", install as Vista or Windows XP, etc.?
>>
>> As a long time user of Office 2000, what's the learning curve like in
>> transitioning to Open Office?
>>
>> Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated.
>> --
>> Thank You,
>> Richard

0
Richard
1/3/2010 12:07:04 PM
Richard,

You probably want to ask the OO related questions in an OpenOffice
forum. Something like http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/

I've looked through your OO questions and found that what you want to do
is most likely easily possible with OpenOffice.

If you do not want to disturb your system, try OpenOffice Portable. Just
install it into any path on your system. It will not change any registry
entry. http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
You can later on delete the directory again.

dan

PS. I have actually "setup" a virtual portable drive on my pc with the
command "subst p: c:\software\Portable"
After that, I have a drive letter "P:\" in which I install all portable
apps I use (including the http://portableapps.com/ platform). Then I
synchronize the P: drive to my current USB stick to have it with me as
well. OpenOffice runs either off that "virtual" P: drive, or directly
from "C:\software\Portable\PortableApps\OpenOfficePortable". OO does not
really care.

On 03.01.2010 13:07, Richard wrote:
> Ken, Thanks for your response. Based on that I have a few additional
> questions before I venture installation.
>
> Currently on my new HP Notebook, running Windows 7 64-bit, I have Works
> 9.0 which was preinstalled by HP. I find Works to be more limited than I
> like especially in the area of spreadsheets.
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> Does the OO spreadsheet allow for multiple worksheets in a file, with
> "linking" between worksheets and/or files?
>
> Does the OO spreadsheet allow for formatting of Headers & Footers? Can't
> seem to do this in Works 9.0.
>
> Formatting in Works 9.0 Word Processor seems to require saving
> additional templates.
> Does OO allow for "default format settings" in the (for lack of a better
> phrase) "main or default" OO new document, as was the case in Office 2000?
>
> I have a simple database file that I originally setup in Access 2000.
> This is just a simple list of books read over time. I was successful in
> converting this to Works 9.0 but again find formatting to be somewhat
> cumbersome. (This may just be a Works 9.0 "newbie" issue).
> If I install OO, will I be able to convert this database file from Works
> 9.0 to OO?
>
> What is the scheduled "release date" for Office 2010?
>
> Will Office 2010 offer a suite that contains Word, Excel and Access,
> without Outlook?
> I'm using WLM for my email application with ISP email accounts and it
> seems to meet my email needs plus it allows me newsgroup access.
> When I had Office 2000, I needed Outlook for mail and Outlook Express
> for newsgroups.
>
> Since I have a number of Office 2000 and now Works 9.0 files, will I be
> able to convert ALL of them to Office 2010 without "major" complications?
>
> What are you seeing as the biggest improvements or sacrifices between
> Office 2010 and Office 2000? It seems from monitoring various Microsoft
> newsgroups and communities that they tend to remove some functionality
> previously provided in their new applications and operating systems
> while adding some new functionality.
>
> Depending on the responses, I may just wait of Office 2010, provided
> that it isn't too long of a wait. I dislike installing and uninstalling
> applications because it seems that you always leave behind debris form
> registry entries to useless folders. I'm not "techie" enough to venture
> into the registry, (I've learned the hard way) and I've never found a
> "registry cleaner", free or paid, that I trust. I only have one computer
> and I don't want to risk doing things that require a complete system
> recovery to fix. I've been there, done that too many times. It's not fun
> and very time consuming.
>
> I hope that you don't mind all of the questions.

0
Dan
1/3/2010 2:54:27 PM
Richard wrote:
> Is Open Office compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?
>
> Are there any special installation procedures one must follow, such as
> "run as administrator", install as Vista or Windows XP, etc.?
>
> As a long time user of Office 2000, what's the learning curve like in
> transitioning to Open Office?
>
> Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated.

For what it's worth, I installed OpenOffice on my Win7 64-bit computer.
It installed fine and everything seemed to work, however I missed my
Office 2000 Professional, so I uninstalled OO and installed my Microsoft
Office 2000. It works perfectly, and it's nice to have my "old friend"
back. Honestly, I really only use Word and Power Point, but do dabble
with Access and Excel.
--
TOM - Vista, CA - USA
0

1.    What, if any, compatibility mode did you use to install Office 2000
Professional?

2.    Did you install via "run as administrator"?

2.    It's my understanding that Outlook won't work in Windows 7 64-bit.
It's been so long since I installed Office 2000 Professional on my old
system, I don't remember if you can elect not to install Outlook in the
custom installation or not. Do you know if that's possible? I really don't
need Outlook because I now use WLM and very satisfied with it.

I'll probably look at Office 2010 when it's released but in the meantime, I
also miss the "old friend".
--
Thank You,
Richard

"TOM7601" <ewfr@none.net> wrote in message
> Richard wrote:
>> Is Open Office compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?
>>
>> Are there any special installation procedures one must follow, such as
>> "run as administrator", install as Vista or Windows XP, etc.?
>>
>> As a long time user of Office 2000, what's the learning curve like in
>> transitioning to Open Office?
>>
>> Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated.
>
> For what it's worth, I installed OpenOffice on my Win7 64-bit computer. It
> installed fine and everything seemed to work, however I missed my Office
> 2000 Professional, so I uninstalled OO and installed my Microsoft Office
> 2000. It works perfectly, and it's nice to have my "old friend" back.
> Honestly, I really only use Word and Power Point, but do dabble with
> Access and Excel.
> --
> TOM - Vista, CA - USA

0
Richard
1/3/2010 11:22:38 PM
Richard wrote:

>Is Open Office compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?

Yes, running it here.

>Are there any special installation procedures one must follow, such as
>"run as administrator", install as Vista or Windows XP, etc.?

Like any other installer, you'll get a UAC prompt if you don't "Run As
Administrator".

>As a long time user of Office 2000, what's the learning curve like in
>transitioning to Open Office?

For standard tasks, I expect that many would not even notice they'd
changed application. It's  high-level and expert users (who do things like
learn keyboard shortcuts) that would be likely to be aware of the
differences.

--
Steve Foster
------------
Richard wrote:

>QUESTIONS:
>
>Does the OO spreadsheet allow for multiple worksheets in a file, with
>"linking" between worksheets and/or files?

A new blank document has "Sheet1", "Sheet2" and "Sheet3" tabs, just like
Excel. Typing an "=" into a cell on Sheet2, I can then click on Sheet1 and
select a cell, and go back to Sheet2, and it's added "Sheet1.A3" to the
formula.

>Does the OO spreadsheet allow for formatting of Headers & Footers? Can't
>seem to do this in Works 9.0.

There's a Headers & Footers section on the Edit menu, so I'd say probably.

>Formatting in Works 9.0 Word Processor seems to require saving additional
>templates.
>Does OO allow for "default format settings" in the (for lack of a better
>phrase) "main or default" OO new document, as was the case in Office 2000?

AFAICT, yes.

>I have a simple database file that I originally setup in Access 2000. This
>is just a simple list of books read over time. I was successful in
>converting this to Works 9.0 but again find formatting to be somewhat
>cumbersome. (This may just be a Works 9.0 "newbie" issue).
>If I install OO, will I be able to convert this database file from Works
>9.0 to OO?

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6694

(IOW, you'll have to export it from Works to a "standard" format [eg DBF]
to get it to OO)

>What is the scheduled "release date" for Office 2010?

2010.

>Will Office 2010 offer a suite that contains Word, Excel and Access,
>without Outlook?

They haven't in the past, so probably not.

>Since I have a number of Office 2000 and now Works 9.0 files, will I be
>able to convert ALL of them to Office 2010 without "major" complications?

As long as the files are in the latest format supported by those
applications, or are saved to lowest-common-denominator formats (CSV,
TXT), I wouldn't expect much in the way of problems. You might get some
reformatting going on, but that's about it.

--
Steve Foster
------------
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
0
Steve
1/4/2010 12:56:30 PM
In article <#ksPouMjKHA.5620@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
Reply@Communities.Thanks says...

> Tom, thanks for your response. This is "potential" very good news for me. I
> have a few questions before I jump in however.
>
> 1.    What, if any, compatibility mode did you use to install Office 2000
> Professional?
>
> 2.    Did you install via "run as administrator"?
>
> 2.    It's my understanding that Outlook won't work in Windows 7 64-bit.

I don't know about Outlook 2000, but Outlook 2003 32-bit works fine on
Win7 Pro x64.

David
1/4/2010 5:05:04 PM
Richard wrote:
> Tom, thanks for your response. This is "potential" very good news for
> me. I have a few questions before I jump in however.
>
> 1.    What, if any, compatibility mode did you use to install Office
> 2000 Professional?
>
> 2.    Did you install via "run as administrator"?
>
> 2.    It's my understanding that Outlook won't work in Windows 7 64-bit.
> It's been so long since I installed Office 2000 Professional on my old
> system, I don't remember if you can elect not to install Outlook in the
> custom installation or not. Do you know if that's possible? I really
> don't need Outlook because I now use WLM and very satisfied with it.
>
> I'll probably look at Office 2010 when it's released but in the
> meantime, I also miss the "old friend".

I simply put in the CD and installed it. I don't remember if it asked
about administrator mode, this step has become pretty automatic for me.

It isn't running in any "mode," it works as is, so to speak.

I haven't tried Outlook as I don't use it for my E-Mail.

We have Office 2010 at work. I'm discovering how to make it do things
that were easy with Office 2000 (at home) and Office 2003 (at work). The
change was done for company-wide compatibility, but you should have hard
the complaints about not being able to make this or that work. It's
simply a matter of getting used to a new product; it takes time.

At the moment, I'm in Safe Mode thanks to a dying hard drive... :<((
--
TOM - Vista, CA - USA
0

Cannot open outlook at all
I have never used outlook, Now I was told that is better to forward all my e-mail addresses to outlook but the problem is that I cannot even open outlook. a popup window comes on and this is what it says... Unable to display the folder. Microsoft outlook could not access the specified folder location. The DLL file for the information service could not be found. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX. DLL. Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured. Please I really need help. thank you very much, Alicia Origel See if the information in the following MS...

Who can open Cases?
Recently, I am reading online courses from microsoft. About cases, a sentence confused me: "Cases can be opened by either a customer or a Customer Service Representative" ??? What it means? Customer can logon to CRM and open a case???? Sorry, I got it. It just say the customer submitted some thing and then a related case should be created in CRM. The "open" is not the operation on CRM. "Goldensun" wrote: > Recently, I am reading online courses from microsoft. About cases, a sentence > confused me: > > "Cases can be opened by either a cu...

Outlook 2003, Outlook Connector, and Windows Mobile Device Center
I am trying to get my mobile device to synchronize with the account in Outlook 2003 created with Outlook Connector. However, I only seem to be able to get it to synchronize with the main calendar. The same is true for contacts. If I could, I would actually just synchronize directly with Hotmail, but as far as I know the only way is to use Outlook as a middle-man. What can I do to make Windows Mobile Device Center synchronize with the calendars & contacts that I want? Thanks. -- Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/ AFAIK, you can't ...

opening a new document w/ a custom stencil open
I have created a custom stencil for users in my workgroup and saved the file to a network directory. Currently, to use it we do FILE>SHAPES>OPEN STENCIL and navigate to the file. I'd like to make this more transparent. What I'd like to do is have something where the user does FILE>NEW and when I get the "Choose New Drawing Type" I'd like to insert my custom 'templates' (not sure if that's the right term in Visio) and when the user selects one of those it opens the editing window w/ my custom stencils already loaded. IOW, I want it to work just like o...

Problem to open excel file
Hi to all, I have a problem with all excel file. The user can't open all excel file when she did a double click on it. She has this error message : "cannot find the file 'c:\documents and settings\desktop\......test.xls' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct. And that all required libraries are available" Do you know what can I do to solve the issue?? regards Malcolm Your Excel file association may be lost. Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to en...

Windows Event Logger
Hello , Within a try- catch block I need to catch the exceptions and write them to a log file using the Windows Event Logger . Till exception handling, things are fine with me, but I am not aware of Windows Event Logger . Any input in this regard shall be appreciated . Thanks , Sujay ...

Outlook 2002 and Office 2007
My new PC came with a trial version of OFFICE 2007 which I don;t plan on using or I may just install WORD 2007 as I do like that program. I plan to retain both Outlook 2002 and WORD 2002 which I installed recently. Now when I start a new email - (I have opted for WORD as my email editor) - I get this prompt "This form requires Word as your email editor, but Word is either busy or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead. Obviously there is a clash between Office 2002 and Office 2007. I think I have seen something about both versions co-existing bu...

Workbook Not Shared, Still Opens?
We have one user on our LAN with a Laptop and docking stations. For some reason, when he opens certain Excel spreadsheets, other users can still open them without getting a warning message that another user already has it open. Other spreadsheets work as expected (the second user gets the warning message). I don't see any obvious differences in the worksheet properties or Tools (these are Not Shared workbooks). Any idea why this is happening? What should we check? Thanks. ...

where is ms office 2003 clipart
I get a message when I try to use Clipart in MS publishing. I do get the window MS CLIP GALLERY 5.0 when I try and it has the clip art pictured, but I get a message when I select any after the first row that says it needs a disc called 09PRMCD02. I do not have a clue what disc that is. Can anyone help me? I know I can get clips online, but I wanted to access them "locally" if I could Thanks for any help It is the second disk that came with Office 2000 CG5: Prompt for CD-ROM When You Insert Clips http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235848 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.micros...

Office 2008 on Snow Leopard
Office 2004 seems somewhat sluggish at times. I hear Office 2008 is actually slower. But is this true? John -- Are there errors in the Bible? Do Animals go to Heaven? Is drinking Alcohol a sin? Is the KJV the only translation to be used? If you want to learn, get answers, and be able to defend the faith, CERM is your place. http://www.cerm.info/ On 2010-02-18 18:25:33 -0500, John Wolf said: > Office 2004 seems somewhat sluggish at times. I hear Office 2008 is actually > slower. But is this true? It's not the impression I was under. It feels snappier to me. ...

windows installer starts whenever office application is opened
I have recently reloaded MS office 2007 on my computer. Everytime any office application is started windows installer window opens up saying that it is configuring office 2007. It goes off after some time and application loads and works normally after that. It is considerably slowing launching of the application and is not allowing me to load outlook connector. regards This can happen if you are running multiple version of Office: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290576 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091 -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so all may ben...

office 97 excel- cannot download excel templates from microsoft site
Though i am able to download Word templates from the Microsoft site without any problem, I cannot download Excel templates. When i select an Excel template and click "edit it excel", Excel opens but the template does not appear,,, nor can i find it anywhere on my hard drive. I have tried reloading Office but this did not solve the problem. ...

re-install Office:Mac onto a new ibook
My daughter is trying to install her offic:Mac 2004 ver. onto her new ibook. She has tried all 3 product keys and the software tells her that none of the keys is a valid key. I am using one of the keys. There is one that is not used by anyone. Any ideas? menace Kindly see: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office/browse_thread/thr ead/86500aa2b6a12ed1/a02bed6966e34e47?lnk=st&q=office+mac+install+key&rnum=8 &hl=en#a02bed6966e34e47 http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/office/pid.html On 28.11.2006 5:13, in article 1164687194.510100.155880@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups...

Problem with (1) Office database & (2) Updates installation failures
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I have two problems that may be related (or not): (1) When I open Word or Excel it takes a very long time and then I get this: "There is a problem with the Office database. Office might be unable to access the database or the database file might be damaged. Without the database, you might be unable to use the Address Book, Scrapbook, and other features that store your personal information." It goes on to explain how to "rebuild the database". I did this properly though without success. (I only w...

Office 2007
How do I fix the problem of an error message stating that the file is full - unable to display. I just upgraded to Office 2007 and the problem did not correct. I have only a single user and do not want to add anothe user to copy files there Outlook throws no such message. Provide the rest of the information like mail account type, how you configured it, and what action produces the error. I doubt this is an Outlook issue at all. -- Russ Valentine "Pearson385" <Pearson385@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1A864AE-9464-4E3E-B5F0-F656BACD76B0@mi...

Windows Vista X64 bsod
Hello All I had decided to install Vista X64 every so often when you try and boot up you get the dreaded BSOD which displays NMI: parity error / memory parity error Why did Install Vista ? Because I have it and it was not being used or activated til now. I find this puzzling as the memory is 4gb nonparity DDR3 and I have tried other memory, did not change and I run my machine dual boot with XP X64 and I have no known problems under XP X64 it is quit stable. My hardware Supermicro C2SBX X38 chipset and Q6700 cpu and Adaptec 48300 and an ATI 4550 video card and a lead...

Leave Outlook 2003 on computer when installing Office Home 2007
I just purchased Office Home and Student 2007, and overlooked the detail that it does not include Outlook, as Office Student and Teacher 2003 does. Is there a way that I can keep Outlook 2003 and install Office Home and Student 2007? I have ordered Outlook 2007, so I could wait until it arrives, but I'm eager to get started with Office 2007. Yes, since your Office 2007 version did not came with Outlook, nothing will happen to your Outlook 2003 installation. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ ...

POS not opening (Printer issue)
Problem: When I have the HP A794 thermal printer connected and a 2nd printer(Brother Fullpage printer) is connected to the computer store operations POS will not open. I do not have the brother configured inside RMS, it is configured in windows only. When POS does not open I have to close it from task manager. The only way I can get POS to open is to open manager first and then open POS. Any other way will not work. I took the brother printer out of the equation and everything works fine with just the A794 plugged in. The A794 is running on a OPOS driver. Any suggestions ? I am pretty sure i...

How do I open a 2003 version of Publisher with the newest version
please hep me...it would be great to know how to do it. Thank you... I'm thinking you need to reword your question...2003 *is* the newest version. -- John Inzer "sidewinder is my display name" <sidewinder is my display name @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E36B1B00-30F2-496E-ACD2-613EA0BD14F4@microsoft.com... > please hep me...it would be great to know how to do it. Thank you... Like John said, Publisher 2003 *is* the newst version. Have you been trying to open .pub files? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Publisher "sidewinder is my display nam...

Windows Override
I need an override logon for Windows XP This newsgroup is intended for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting to a newsgroup related to Windows XP. You might also explain exactly what you mean by "override logon" when you repost, because that expression likely means different things to different people. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Jeffrey" <jcauley34@bluebottle.com> wrote in message news:10DB507B-B735-44DC-9105-B0F9FE1F8D33@mic...

IE8 32 and 64 bit
I am tired of IE8-32 firing up with "Internet Explorer has stopped responding" on my W7x64 laptop (Event ID 1002 in "Windows Log - Application". NB why nothing under "Applications and Services Logs - Internet Explorer"?). This happens every day, often more than once. Although I have FF and Opera, I thought I'd try IE8-64. Not had a "Stopped responding" message, but can't stop "This website wants to install the following add-on 'Adobe Flash Player Installer' from 'Adobe Systems Incorporated'. If you trust the...

Dealing with Office 2007 & Office 2003 file formats
My company plans on moving to Office 2007 soon. However, we have a delimma with how to handle how Office files are saved. For example, if a person open a .doc & makes changes in Office 2007 and some of those changes are not supported by the .doc, then the file is saved as a ..docx. This leaves us with two files... a doc & a docx. We really don't want someone updating the .doc anymore. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Side notes: ~We have the compatibility pack installed on all computers. ~The batch converter tool doesn't seem like a good fit for...

Can't open other's Calendars?
Since we moved Exchange 2003 to a new server I'm not able to open some user's calendars from my Outlook. The old Exchange server was a DC, but the new one is only a member server. I was able to open all calendars before the conversion. Any ideas? Check the permissions on the user's shared calendar. You can do it from their Outlook "Folder" view, Alt-click Calendar -> Sharing. Make sure your account is on the list with at least "Reviewer" access. Cwhitmore wrote: > Since we moved Exchange 2003 to a new server I'm not able to open some > user'...

How can I see multiple workbooks in the taskbar? Tried the Window.
How can I see multiple workbooks in the taskbar? I just installed Office 2003. Tried: "On the Tools menu in your program, click Options, and then click the View tab. Select or clear the Windows in Taskbar check box. " This does not work for me. Help! Thanks ...

open workbook directly to chart
I have an intranet app that navigates to various types of documents, including .xls files, stored on network drives. Some docments have the relevant data buried among irrelevant (for my purposes) worksheets and ranges of data. I have found that I can go directly to a cell or named range by opening the file with this javascript command: window.open('directoryName/FileName.xls#WorksheetName! CellOrRangeReference')" But now I have a document with several tabs that contain charts only, rather than worksheets. The above command does not work without a cell or range reference....