Office XP icons missing on Windows 7 Pro x64

I installed Office XP on a PC running Windows 7 Pro x64.
The icons for the various office programs exist, but are blank. When I look
at the shortcuts, it doesn't allow me to choose the location of the icon -
it's greyed out. I've run windws explorer elevated, but I still can't change
the icon location.
If I navigate to the Winword.exe location, it has an icon. If I create a new
shortcut, that new shortcut also doesn't have an icon. If I try pinning one
to the start menu or taskbar, I get the same problem.
I also have Outlook 2007 installed, but the icon for this works normally.
Any ideas how to fix this?

windows.64bit.general 524 articles. 1 followers. Follow

MTCS:
        As a test I installed just Office XP Excel in compatibility mode for
XP service Pack 3 since it's a program that's not updated any more and the
icons appear normally  as it does in Office 2010 Beta. Installing Office XP
in compatibility mode should cure your icon problems. Have a great day.
--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.
"MTCS" <MTCS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed Office XP on a PC running Windows 7 Pro x64.
> The icons for the various office programs exist, but are blank. When I
> look
> at the shortcuts, it doesn't allow me to choose the location of the icon -
> it's greyed out. I've run windws explorer elevated, but I still can't
> change
> the icon location.
> If I navigate to the Winword.exe location, it has an icon. If I create a
> new
> shortcut, that new shortcut also doesn't have an icon. If I try pinning
> one
> to the start menu or taskbar, I get the same problem.
> I also have Outlook 2007 installed, but the icon for this works normally.
> Any ideas how to fix this?

> signature database 4625 (20091120) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4625 (20091120) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Dennis
11/21/2009 1:13:04 AM
On Nov 20, 9:56=A0am, MTCS <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I installed Office XP on a PC running Windows 7 Pro x64.
> The icons for the various office programs exist, but are blank. When I lo=
ok
> at the shortcuts, it doesn't allow me to choose the location of the icon =
-
> it's greyed out. I've run windws explorer elevated, but I still can't cha=
nge
> the icon location.
> If I navigate to the Winword.exe location, it has an icon. If I create a =
new
> shortcut, that new shortcut also doesn't have an icon. If I try pinning o=
ne
> to the start menu or taskbar, I get the same problem.
> I also have Outlook 2007 installed, but the icon for this works normally.
> Any ideas how to fix this?

I've had that problem with several different problems in 64-bit
operating sysems (XP Professional 64-bit, Vista 64-bit. and now
Windows 7 64-bit).  I've also had the problem with newer, 64-bit
programs, so I do not think it is only the age of the programs.
Eventually it "fixed itself," but I have *no* idea how.  I assumed it
*might* have something to do with memory allocation for the desktop
icons, but some of the other forum members will have a better idea.

Good luck!  :-)

Jim
0
Jim

Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 to build Windows Phone OS Image??
Hi, Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 platform builder to build Windows Phone OS Image?? If yes Which option I need to select while building the OS Image?? Since the Windows Phone 7 core is Windoes CE 6.0.I am curious to know whether Windows Phone 7 OS Image can be built using Platform builder. TIA, Nithin On 29 June, 10:29, Nithin <nithin.papd...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 platform builder to build Windows Phone > OS Image?? > > If yes Which option I need to select while building the OS Image?? > > Since the Win...

GP 7.5
We are running GP 7.5 and had a batch that failed with a "unhandled database exception: a saved operation on table SOP_line_CMT_work_hist failed accessing SQL data" now the batch is in batch recovery and when we try to continue, we receive "failed to complete posting. Use the Batch Recovery window to complete the posting process. More info: Transaction not completed at initiating scripts exit, implicitly rolled back. Thank you. Can the batch be recovered if logged in as 'sa' ?? "dbloshuk@hotmail.com" wrote: > We are running GP 7.5 and had a bat...

Install and set up the Microsoft Office Project Add-in for Outlook
The language used by the add-in must match the language used by Outlook. For example, if Outlook uses Japanese, the add-in must also use Japanese,and If the languages do not match, the add-in will not work. How can I download Japanese add-in for Japanese outlook for Microsoft project server 2007 that installed in Engilish? Have you tried the Project Language Pack 2007 SP1? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=d322ba67-b199-4503-8aff-6813b320d708 HTH "Bahram" <Bahram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

"TOOLS" menu missing from menu bar #2
"TOOLS" menu is completely missing from the menu bar in Publisher 2003. How do I put it back? Might try a "detect and repair" Meanwhile, right-click a toolbar, click customize, scroll down to built-in menus, drag the tools menu to your toolbar. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Anil Gupta" <AnilGupta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C7ADC1E-A6E9-4F01-8C06-01B92AC7B97B@microsoft.com... > "TOOLS" menu is completely missing from the menu bar in Publisher 20...

Updated Office, now I'm no longer Registered
Help. I downloaded the Offixe X updates, and went to open Microsoft Word, and all of a sudden, its as if I was installing a brand new product, asking for my information, and product key (which of course, I can't find). Has anyone experienced this? Or, does anyone know if Macs store any kind of registry information? I appreciate any feedback! (other than "losing your registration key was reeeeeally smart!" :)) Thanks so much. Lisette On 12/23/06 11:58 AM, in article 1166903892.442462.51840@a3g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "lisettea@mac.com" <lisettea@mac.com> wrot...

tile window
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) does anyone know how to tile microsoft word windows vertically on an osx The closest you will come is Word>Window>Arrange All. Then fiddle them manually. Otherwise, you need an AppleScript: http://www.macosxhints.com/comment.php?mode=view&cid=96187 Or a utility: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/windowtiles.html Cheers On 23/05/10 10:15 AM, in article 59bb8dd9.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "aprilgsims@officeformac.com" <aprilgsims@officeformac.com> wrote: &...

Windows Mail can't see messages
Hi. I've had some problems with Windows Mail which seem to have been solved by resetting the program. But I still have a problem. I want to import my old messages. I can see them in Windows Explorer but when I try to important them into Windows Mail, the folders are all empty. Can anyone help? Thanks. What does the term resetting mean? What did you do (in detail)? Can you click on one of those emails in Windows Explorer and open it? Does it actually contain a headers and a message? If so, put both on your screen, Windows Explorer and Windows Mail and then high...

Missing Clip Art Organizer
At work, quite some time ago, I downloaded some clip art from the Microsoft collection and received with it the Clip Art Organizer and I really really liked it. When the powers that be decided to upgrade my office PC, I *thought* we did everything possible to make sure that what I had on the old one I'd still have on the new one. Alas, that was not to be - I discovered recently that the clip art organizer was gone. I've tried looking for it again, but have been unable to locate it, either because my brain cells have been iced over or it's no longer here - can anyone tell me...

Cusotm Office 2007 install for English, Spanish, & Chinese users
Hi, I'm working on creating a custom install of Office 2007 for my various sites. These sites include users that speak English, Spanish and Chinese. I am a bit confused on how to use language packs in order to provide multi-lingual support. From my understanding, I need to download the Spanish and Chinese language pack and place the .msp files in the Updates folder on my network install point? Does this mean when office gets installed on a Chinese computer it will be in Chinese automatically? Or does the user need to "flip a switch" to make it Chinese language? The ...

FRx 6.7 vs 32-bit Windows 7
I'm getting the following error when trying to generate a report but only on the Windows 7 32-bit system. Running SQL Server 2005 on another server, Dynamics GP 9 client is installed on this machine. Component Error FRx is unable to process this output request for the following reason: C:\Windows\system32\msxml.dll could not be found. Generating a DrillDown Viewer or XML output file requires the following: -Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later -MSXML 4.0 SP1 or later It may be necessary to install (or reinstall) the component or components listed above. ** any suggestions or re...

DPM 2010 Remote Agent Install (windows firewall settings)
I'm looking for the specific ports I need to unblock in order to push the agent from the console. All the documentation references point to firewall settings for the DPM server. I'm only interested in the windows firewall settings on the client (protected machine) necessary to push the agent. If I manually install on the client the installer opens the correct ports on the firewall for the agent to function so I'm not even concerned about those settings. I just need to be able to install/uninstall from the console and have been unable to do so unless I turn off the...

MS Office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have Student Teacher version 2008. I have MS Office installed on three different MAC's with three individual codes (Allows for three installs). When MS Office is running on my wife's MAC Book, and I run it my iMAC, I get an error message that I'm exceeding the licenses. I'm not. How do I get this to stop?? <xVVAtc@officeformac.com> wrote: > I have Student Teacher version 2008. I have MS Office installed on three > different MAC's with three individual codes (Allows for three insta...

out of office to internet
We r using sbs2003. Out of office only works internally even I've enabled out of office responses for internet from System Manager. any idea is appreciated.. In ESM, under Global Settings/Internet Message Formats. kazi wrote: > We r using sbs2003. Out of office only works internally even I've enabled out > of office responses for internet from System Manager. > > any idea is appreciated.. -- Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS. Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org Free Internet calling - www.skype.com Free SQ...

Word windows 07 docs let's crash win for mac 2008

Downloading process for Office Standard 2007 online
I experienced a severe computer failure and when it was repaired, I lost my installed programs. I need to get back on Outlook and Word, but only have the program key for the Office Standard 2007 program. How do I get to the screen where I can input my program key to get the process started? You need the Office installation cd in order to reinstall "Jack" <Clear@view.com> wrote in message news:8777DDC2-9BED-4B0D-8EC0-F1A35D5DE37C@microsoft.com... >I experienced a severe computer failure and when it was repaired, I lost my > installed programs. I need to get...

Missing Administrator rights
when i try system restore it tells me that it has been tuned off by group policy, when i try to run Redegit it tells me Registry editing has been disabled by administrator-user account says i am the administrator the only prgram I have deleted was the ASP.net from the users account ---HEEEEELLPPPPPPP-plz send the answer to maninblack4r@yahoo.com Asked here, answered here. There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection! NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had expired *when the machine first got infecte...

e-mail address for the office
I need to have one e-mail address for all office use. There are 2 ways. If a make alias - distribution group I can get e-mail, but when I Reply mesg then it's going from user mailing address (not from office@...). 2nd way. I made extra user with e-mail address office@..., I gave rights for this user accnt and this address to users accounts (as addictional mailboxes). I'm getting messages on this acc, but when I'm trying to send something, I don't have permission. Give yourself full mailbox access, send as, and receive as, to be able to open mailbox in Outlook as additio...

User Activity window in GP 9
Hi! Does anyone know why GP removed the User Activity option under Tools-Setup-System in GP 9? How can you tell who's logged in the system without going to SQL Query Analyzer or Enterprise Mgr? Thanks -- Marisol Mortera Hi Marisol, Now found under Tools --> Utilities --> System Robert Marisol wrote: > Hi! > > Does anyone know why GP removed the User Activity option under > Tools-Setup-System in GP 9? How can you tell who's logged in the system > without going to SQL Query Analyzer or Enterprise Mgr? Thanks ...

Out of Office Assiatance issues
Hi all, One of our users (UserA) is having issues receiving an Out of Office confirmation email when he emails a particular user (UserB). For test purposes I emailed this users (UserB) and received the out of office response. The UserA is able to receive other emails and there is no mailbox size restriction in place. What else can be done to investigate and resolve this issue. Version of Outlook the user is using is Microsoft Outlook 2002 ( 10.2627.2625 ) no Service Pack. "Leon" <ap76_at_email.com> wrote in message news:eRH1U3JdEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi a...

DPM RC 2010 Agent Install on Windows Server 2008 R2
We are having trouble installing the DPM agent on a terminal server running Windows Server 2008 R2. If we install the agent manually, it installs fine and then gives this error when we try to attach it: 0x80004005 We removed all group policies from the server and turned off the firewall, but we still get this error. When I uninstalled the agent and tried to re-install through the console, this is what was in the error log: 12BC 0E94 04/06 14:07:08.824 03 agentcfg.cpp(475) [000000000076C200] NORMAL Cound not find configuration for DPMRA 12BC 0E94 04/06 14:07:08.824 03 run...

Office Standard 2003, no more activations left by phone or online
I have used all of my activations, online and by phone. Am I out of luck and need to purchase a new key? Is there a way around this? If its a retail version you can install as often as you like providing you dont exceed the number of *working* PC's its licensed for. If an oem version its only licensed for the origonal PC "BettyBlue" <BettyBlue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A099EC53-A617-4083-83F7-889AECFFAD01@microsoft.com... >I have used all of my activations, online and by phone. Am I out of luck >and > need to purchase a new...

Open outlook express eml files with Office Outlook
How can I get my Microsoft Outlook e-mail software to open a Outlook Express .eml file save on a network. My objective is to be able to double click the .eml file or drag and drop it into my Microsoft Outlook application. Thank you, LS Lance <llscott@csicable.net> wrote: > How can I get my Microsoft Outlook e-mail software to > open a Outlook Express .eml file save on a network. My > objective is to be able to double click the .eml file or > drag and drop it into my Microsoft Outlook application. You have to open in with Outlook Express and then move it to Outlook fro...

Error? Missing banks in Money 2005...
I am missing my bank for downloading in Money 2005 even though it is listed as supported on the Money website. In fact it appears that the list in Money 2005 is about 25% that of what appears on the website. Am I doing something wrong or is Microsoft false advertising their product? Thanks There appear to be a number of missing banks now, but our understanding is that the list will be updated soon. -- "Brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:414501c49f60$13cb3da0$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I am missing my bank for downloading in Money 2005 even &g...

Re Installing Windows Defender
Hi! I am trying to re install Windows Defender But each time I try to I get a message saying "unable to install because Microsoft Client Protection is ON please remove same an run installer again" I have uninstalled Windows Defender using Add and Remove Also did a search in My Computer and Registry nothing found How do I install Windows Defender ThanX Do not install Windows Defender-----Instead install MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) Read about it at MS. "Mike van der Merwe" <michaelvdm@telkomsa.net> wrote in message news:2-a...

installing all clipart to hard drive in Office Professional
I want to install the whold clip art gallery to the hard drive. When it was installed some of the clip art is accessible with out putting in the orginal cd but I would prefer to have all of it on the hard drive. Which version of Publisher are you using? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "ggr" <ggr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBF70A74-DF7F-431B-A2D8-BF4825F6CB9A@microsoft.com... >I want to install the whold clip art gallery to the hard drive. When it >was > installed some of the clip art is accessible with out putting in the >...