cdrom.sys corrupt in Win7 - need help to fix

Yesterday Win7 decided to no longer show my 2 LiteOn DVDRW drives. I've
tried to re-install/repair the driver (6.1.7600.16385) and everytime I get
the same response = my current driver is good. BUT, then when I check with
Device Manager, it shows that the drives are not working. Can anyone help me
get a new cdrom.sys installed into the system32/drivers folder?

Booting up with the Win7 DVD will work. But I can't find the cdrom.sys on
the disk. No other repair options are there to get this fixed.

Help would certainly be appreciated. I don't want to have to start all over
with a full format and installation.

Thank you very much!

Jim McCants

0
Jim
2/27/2010 3:48:37 AM
windows.64bit.general 524 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi, Jim.

Have you tried the System File Checker?  sfc /scannow

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted
system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Jim McCants" <jcmccants@lowcountry.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday Win7 decided to no longer show my 2 LiteOn DVDRW drives. I've
> tried to re-install/repair the driver (6.1.7600.16385) and everytime I get
> the same response = my current driver is good. BUT, then when I check with
> Device Manager, it shows that the drives are not working. Can anyone help
> me get a new cdrom.sys installed into the system32/drivers folder?
>
> Booting up with the Win7 DVD will work. But I can't find the cdrom.sys on
> the disk. No other repair options are there to get this fixed.
>
> Help would certainly be appreciated. I don't want to have to start all
> over with a full format and installation.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Jim McCants

"Jim McCants" <jcmccants@lowcountry.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday Win7 decided to no longer show my 2 LiteOn DVDRW drives. I've
> tried to re-install/repair the driver (6.1.7600.16385) and everytime I get
> the same response = my current driver is good. BUT, then when I check with
> Device Manager, it shows that the drives are not working. Can anyone help
> me get a new cdrom.sys installed into the system32/drivers folder?
>
> Booting up with the Win7 DVD will work. But I can't find the cdrom.sys on
> the disk. No other repair options are there to get this fixed.
>
> Help would certainly be appreciated. I don't want to have to start all
> over with a full format and installation.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Jim McCants

Did you per chance install any of the software that came with the drives as
well? I have seen where it can hose any drivers that are needed fore use
from Windows? If so, remove them all in their entirety, then uninstall all
drivers while in the device manager by right clicking on the devices and
then delete the drive(s) from the device manager. Reboot, then try and
update the device manager by having it search for the best driver after
those device(s) reappear after the reboot. If that doesn't work, see if
Lite-on's website has the driver for the operating system for your
particular model updated.

If Lite-on's solution is a no-go, then try using the sfc /scannow in the
start/run (or in a command prompt), then see what happens. You may also want
to check and see if the drive(s) have a well seated connection as well, by
reseating them; that would be the last resort, then try again to update the
drivers again.

0
Tom