cdrom.sys corrupt in Win7 - need help to fix

Yesterday Win7 decided to no longer show my 2 LiteOn DVDRW drives. I've
tried to re-install/repair the driver (6.1.7600.16385) and everytime I get
the same response = my current driver is good. BUT, then when I check with
Device Manager, it shows that the drives are not working. Can anyone help me
get a new cdrom.sys installed into the system32/drivers folder?

Booting up with the Win7 DVD will work. But I can't find the cdrom.sys on
the disk. No other repair options are there to get this fixed.

Help would certainly be appreciated. I don't want to have to start all over
with a full format and installation.

Thank you very much!

Jim McCants

0
Jim
2/27/2010 3:48:37 AM
windows.64bit.general 524 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi, Jim.

Have you tried the System File Checker?  sfc /scannow

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted
system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Jim McCants" <jcmccants@lowcountry.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday Win7 decided to no longer show my 2 LiteOn DVDRW drives. I've
> tried to re-install/repair the driver (6.1.7600.16385) and everytime I get
> the same response = my current driver is good. BUT, then when I check with
> Device Manager, it shows that the drives are not working. Can anyone help
> me get a new cdrom.sys installed into the system32/drivers folder?
>
> Booting up with the Win7 DVD will work. But I can't find the cdrom.sys on
> the disk. No other repair options are there to get this fixed.
>
> Help would certainly be appreciated. I don't want to have to start all
> over with a full format and installation.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Jim McCants

"Jim McCants" <jcmccants@lowcountry.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday Win7 decided to no longer show my 2 LiteOn DVDRW drives. I've
> tried to re-install/repair the driver (6.1.7600.16385) and everytime I get
> the same response = my current driver is good. BUT, then when I check with
> Device Manager, it shows that the drives are not working. Can anyone help
> me get a new cdrom.sys installed into the system32/drivers folder?
>
> Booting up with the Win7 DVD will work. But I can't find the cdrom.sys on
> the disk. No other repair options are there to get this fixed.
>
> Help would certainly be appreciated. I don't want to have to start all
> over with a full format and installation.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Jim McCants

Did you per chance install any of the software that came with the drives as
well? I have seen where it can hose any drivers that are needed fore use
from Windows? If so, remove them all in their entirety, then uninstall all
drivers while in the device manager by right clicking on the devices and
then delete the drive(s) from the device manager. Reboot, then try and
update the device manager by having it search for the best driver after
those device(s) reappear after the reboot. If that doesn't work, see if
Lite-on's website has the driver for the operating system for your
particular model updated.

If Lite-on's solution is a no-go, then try using the sfc /scannow in the
start/run (or in a command prompt), then see what happens. You may also want
to check and see if the drive(s) have a well seated connection as well, by
reseating them; that would be the last resort, then try again to update the
drivers again.

0
Tom

Pivot tables in Excel
Yippee, I am so happy, I finally figured out how to trick excel into not showing the blank cell in a pivot table without limiting my data set! In the Pivot table layout move the field from row to page. Then double click on the field and click on the "blank" to hide it. Move the field back to row and hit finish. It seems like you always have to "trick" MS software to do what you want. ...

How do i fix this error in access
I created a database in microsoft access. I have been trying to open some of the forms that I created but after several tries I keep getting this error message "Not enough memory. Please close un-needed programs." Can someone please help in fixing this. I created 13 forms and 8 of the forms are opening but the other five forms arent. I get the above error when I try. I have uninstalled and re-installed microsoft office several times, and no other programs are opened when I get this error. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Alicia Alicia, unless you actually do have too man...

REQ: Can Someone Help Me With This Outlook XP Question?
Hello All: I use Word to edit my e-mail msgs in Outlook XP. I had to reinstall Office the other day and now whenever I want to start a new e-mail or reply to an e-mail I get a warning that comes up: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected it may be a virus and you should choose 'No'" There is a box that asks for the amount of time to allow the access: 1 to 10 minutes. Do I have to have specific settings for my Outlook address book? I use the Contact area in Outlook for addresses. I have ...

IWAN & IUSR bei Crystal Reports? *help*
Hi NG, my problem is that i can see the crystal reports, but when i open one i get "more information is needed". But till yesterday i could open reports!! Now after some search i see that i have no IUSR_servane and no IWAM_servername. how could this happen? My system is AD, SQL, CRM and each of them is one a seperate 2003 server. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Regards Nicolas F�hrs sound strange with the IWAN and IUSR. I offten have this problem. There are a techknowledge article with 13 resoluti...

Help With Strange Error When Trying to Save Any Record
I am getting astrane error happens when try to create any new record (Customer, Item, Vendor or Account), the system gives me a message that "Save Operation Failed" and when i click "More Info" the error message is "Could not find stored procedure 'DYNAMICS.dbo.aagGetCompanyStatus'", although i have created alot of items, customers, accounts and vendors before but suddenly this error appeared. Any quick help will be highly appreciated. It would appear that the AAG has something to do with a product produced by American Association of Geographers. I...

Repair SQL Corrupt database
Hi, I have a corrupt MS SQL Server 2005 database which I am trying to repair using: DBCC CHECKDB ('MYDB', REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS) Unfortunately this does not seem to fix anything. After running the repair multiple times, I ran DBCC CHECKDB ('MYDB') WITH NO_INFOMSGS to see if it fixed the corruption, I noticed that is was returning a random amount of errors on each run. Does any know if It is the case that this database is beyond repair? If so will the best approach be to revert back to a non corrupt database backup and then roll forward using Transaction Lo...

Need help with formula 01-13-10

help with preview pane and "read receipts"
Hi, I'm new to Outlook administration. We run Outlook on a server wit Exchange. Is it possible to setup Outlook on client PC's so that th preview pane cannot be activated by individual users? Also, can the blocking of "read receipts" by individual PC users b prohibited within Outlook, at the server level? If not, is there an other way to do it? My reasoning for wanting to do the above two things is to make th "read receipts" function work more effectively. Thanks for your suggestions. : ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from h...

Need online services to the end of the year
I have been a loyal Money customer for years. This morning my Money Plus subscription expired. There seems to be no way to extend it and without it I can't do updates from my bank and credit cards--which I do daily. I understand that everything is shutting down by Jan 11, but it is terrible not to be able to extend basic online services temporarily at least through the end of this year to get me through tax season, etc. and then switch to Quicken at the beginning of 2010. This really sucks! Please, please Microsoft give us at least a stay of exectution through the end of the ye...

please help with this query

Help with Do...Loop
Hi I need a check to be done to see if column a has a number in it then to check if column b has a number. If column B doesn't have a number then I need it to stop and give a msgbox, When column A doesn't have data then I need the loop to stop as we dont have to check column b The code below is what I have but when I try to run it it keeps saying LOOP WITHOUT DO. I hope someone can help me as I am not very good with loops. mykeycode = Range("B32") mysell = Range("N32") Do mykeycode = mykeycode + 1 mysell = ...

Help on Macro or Formula
Hi, i hope someone can help me. i need to create a formula that sits in a cell and looks for data. ( obvioiusly ). however, the formula needs to be in place even though the file from ehere the data comes from might not be there yet. ( i have to create a book that when a new file is created, the links are already in place ). i think it could work with an IF type formula for ( if B2="",""). here is my information. Cell description: A2 = Job no. B2 = Client Name D2 = Actual Spend on project Register!D2 = Job Description Register!H2 = Quoted Amount my path is S:\Clients\...

Office 2010 Buying Question Assistance Needed
I've been looking through the MS Office 2010 web site to try to determine what my new small company would require, but I can't find the information I need. We for sure would need Office Pro Plus, but other than that I'm not sure. We want to run it on our own server. We will initially have 3-5 people using it and perhaps more later on. Would we need to purchase site licensing? Unfortunately, our programmers are MS haters (I'm not) and I can't get any assistance from them on this, but I have power of the pen. I would appreciate any assistance I can get. Th...

Need help with update sql plus filter
I have the following update sql (copied from the query design view) UPDATE ListQry SET ListQry.ApprovalStatusID = [Forms]![OpeningForm]![Responsibility] WHERE (((ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)<[Forms]![OpeningForm]![Responsibility] And (ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)>-1) AND ((ListQry.OtherStatusID)>300)) OR (((ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)<[Forms]![OpeningForm]![Responsibility] And (ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)>-1) AND ((ListQry.OtherStatusID) Is Null)); ApprovalStatusID is an integer OtherStatusID is an integer ListQry is the recordsource for my form. I would like to add the f...

repaired a corrupt mailbox store, what to do about corrupt emails
Good morning, One of our mailbox stores got corrupt last night. I went through the process of the repair, offline defrag, etc. and I have the store up and running. As result of the corruption, some of the users are experiencing mail items they can't delete/open, or the mailbox is reporting x number of unread msgs that aren't there. Most of these seem to correspond to the time the store went down. Now I have prepared the users to the idea that these messages may not be recoverable, but I don't know the best way to go about cleaning up the few users that have corrupt emai...

Hyperlink File Help

VLookup #VALUE! error help needed to resolve
The following is the funcation I have: =VLOOKUP(B10,'FA CC Summary Report 1141'!F$9:G$92,2,0) I have all the columns formatted the same; as in the column that the function is using to lookup is text and so is the column for this figure in order to pull back the appropriate answer. I have keyed the data instead of having links. I have replaced the final '0' with TRUE & FALSE then put it back. I have formatted the columns for text and for numbers. But I am getting the #VALUE! error in SOME of the cells NOT all of the cells. I don't know what else to d...

help with a sub
Hi, can anybody tell me why the following code fails at FormatConditions.Add Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Dim Sh As Worksheet Dim lngLastRow As Long Set Sh = ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet lngLastRow = Sh.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row Range("A4:E" & lngLastRow).Activate Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=(MOD(ROW(),2)=0" Selection.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 24 End Sub Thanks -- Traa Dy Liooar Jock You have an extra open paren just before MOD: &qu...

cdrom.sys corrupt in Win7
Yesterday Win7 decided to no longer show my 2 LiteOn DVDRW drives. I've tried to re-install/repair the driver (6.1.7600.16385) and everytime I get the same response = my current driver is good. BUT, then when I check with Device Manager, it shows that the drives are not working. Can anyone help me get a new cdrom.sys installed into the system32/drivers folder? Booting up with the Win7 DVD will work. But I can't find the cdrom.sys on the disk. No other repair options are there to get this fixed. Help would certainly be appreciated. I don't want to have to start all o...

Help Please - A bit of a challenge
Hello everyone~ I had had some trouble on a project I have been working on for some time. I have tried numerous approaches, each with undesired results. (VAB Code) The project I am working on has become quite complex, so rather than bother you with my spaghetti code, I have made a simple example of what I am trying to do. (Attached to this Message) The sheet tracks People and how many fruits they had each day. Day1 is where the information is Inputted, Day2 will double the DAY1 numbers, and Day three will triple the DAY2 Numbers. The challenge I am faced with: On DAY1 ...