2 Program Files folders

Hello
Installing my programs on my brand new Laptop with W7.
Did the Easy File Transfer, wow really easy.
Now I'm installing my software. But I've noticed I have 2 Program Files in
the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
Can someone please explain to me what this is?
The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with (x86)

Thank you

Dingbat
8/14/2010 11:00:56 AM
windows.64bit.general 524 articles. 1 followers. Follow

To start with it means your laptop has Windows 7 x64 (64-bit).

64-bit programs will install to the "Program Files" folder.

32-bit programs will install to the "Program Folders (x86)" folder.

It's nothing you must be concerned about.

On 2010-08-14 07:00, Dingbat wrote:
> Hello
> Installing my programs on my brand new Laptop with W7.
> Did the Easy File Transfer, wow really easy.
> Now I'm installing my software. But I've noticed I have 2 Program Files
> in the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
> Can someone please explain to me what this is?
> The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with (x86)
>
> Thank you
Bobby
8/14/2010 11:30:55 AM
"Dingbat" <askingmany@questions> wrote in message
> Hello
> Installing my programs on my brand new Laptop with W7.
> Did the Easy File Transfer, wow really easy.
> Now I'm installing my software. But I've noticed I have 2 Program Files in
> the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
> Can someone please explain to me what this is?
> The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with (x86)

64 bit software will be installed in Program Files and 32 bit software will
go into Program Files(x86) and will run using WOW64 so that your 64 bit
Windows can use your old 32 bit programs.

0
Lorne
8/14/2010 11:31:21 AM
O cool
Thanks
Jx

"Dingbat" <askingmany@questions> wrote in message
> Hello
> Installing my programs on my brand new Laptop with W7.
> Did the Easy File Transfer, wow really easy.
> Now I'm installing my software. But I've noticed I have 2 Program Files in
> the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
> Can someone please explain to me what this is?
> The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with (x86)
>
> Thank you

Dingbat
8/14/2010 3:56:45 PM
 But I've noticed I have 2 Program Files in
> > the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
> > Can someone please explain to me what this is?
> > The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with (x86)
>
> > Thank you

Thanks for asking this. My XP 64 bit is the same way.  I saw the same
thing and thought it was because one "Program" directory was not
enough to hold it all. I should have known better.

Bob  AZ
0
Bob
8/14/2010 4:51:35 PM
Hi, J.

Bobby and Lorne explained the two program files folders very well.  ;<)

But you might notice that a few programs are in both of those folders.  For
example, Internet Explorer is in both:
32.bit version:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
64.bit version:    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

This is not a mistake.  Win7 really does include two editions of IE8.  You
can run either - or both - even side by side.  To see which one you are
running at any moment, just click Help | About Internet Explorer.  If the
Version line doesn't say "64-bit Edition", then you are running the 32-bit
Edition, which doesn't mention "bitness" at all.

Win7 arrives with the 32-bit version set to run by default.  This is because
a few applications have not been updated to run in a 64-bit browser.  The
most glaring example is Adobe Flash Player.  If you try to watch a YouTube
or other video and get an offer to "install the Flash Player", you might as
well refuse because repeated attempts will just bring you back to the same
place.  Just copy the URL from the Address Box, Start 32-bit IE8, then paste
in the address and watch the video.  (See Adobe's explanation at
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html ).

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Dingbat"  wrote in message

Hello
Installing my programs on my brand new Laptop with W7.
Did the Easy File Transfer, wow really easy.
Now I'm installing my software. But I've noticed I have 2 Program Files in
the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
Can someone please explain to me what this is?
The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with (x86)

Thank you

Thanks so much for the update. I thought getting 64bit was going to make
things easier!
I am having trouble installing my PhotoshopCS4. It's telling  me it didn't
install properly. I'm wondering if installing programs is going to be
different then the usual way?
I've uninstalled it and am going to try again. Is there anything I should
know?

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, J.
>
> Bobby and Lorne explained the two program files folders very well.  ;<)
>
> But you might notice that a few programs are in both of those folders.
> For example, Internet Explorer is in both:
> 32.bit version:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
> 64.bit version:    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>
> This is not a mistake.  Win7 really does include two editions of IE8.  You
> can run either - or both - even side by side.  To see which one you are
> running at any moment, just click Help | About Internet Explorer.  If the
> Version line doesn't say "64-bit Edition", then you are running the 32-bit
> Edition, which doesn't mention "bitness" at all.
>
> Win7 arrives with the 32-bit version set to run by default.  This is
> because a few applications have not been updated to run in a 64-bit
> browser.  The most glaring example is Adobe Flash Player.  If you try to
> watch a YouTube or other video and get an offer to "install the Flash
> Player", you might as well refuse because repeated attempts will just
> bring you back to the same place.  Just copy the URL from the Address Box,
> Start 32-bit IE8, then paste in the address and watch the video.  (See
> Adobe's explanation at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html ).
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64
>

> "Dingbat"  wrote in message
>
> Hello
> Installing my programs on my brand new Laptop with W7.
> Did the Easy File Transfer, wow really easy.
> Now I'm installing my software. But I've noticed I have 2 Program Files in
> the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
> Can someone please explain to me what this is?
> The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with (x86)
>
> Thank you

Dingbat
8/14/2010 9:58:15 PM
You should check the Adobe website for information about CS4 and 64-bit
Windows.  It's possible they may not be compatible.

On 2010-08-14 17:58, Dingbat wrote:
> Thanks so much for the update. I thought getting 64bit was going to make
> things easier!
> I am having trouble installing my PhotoshopCS4. It's telling me it
> didn't install properly. I'm wondering if installing programs is going
> to be different then the usual way?
> I've uninstalled it and am going to try again. Is there anything I
> should know?
>
> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, J.
>>
>> Bobby and Lorne explained the two program files folders very well. ;<)
>>
>> But you might notice that a few programs are in both of those folders.
>> For example, Internet Explorer is in both:
>> 32.bit version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>> 64.bit version: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>>
>> This is not a mistake. Win7 really does include two editions of IE8.
>> You can run either - or both - even side by side. To see which one you
>> are running at any moment, just click Help | About Internet Explorer.
>> If the Version line doesn't say "64-bit Edition", then you are running
>> the 32-bit Edition, which doesn't mention "bitness" at all.
>>
>> Win7 arrives with the 32-bit version set to run by default. This is
>> because a few applications have not been updated to run in a 64-bit
>> browser. The most glaring example is Adobe Flash Player. If you try to
>> watch a YouTube or other video and get an offer to "install the Flash
>> Player", you might as well refuse because repeated attempts will just
>> bring you back to the same place. Just copy the URL from the Address
>> Box, Start 32-bit IE8, then paste in the address and watch the video.
>> (See Adobe's explanation at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html ).
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@grandecom.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64
>>

>> "Dingbat" wrote in message
>>
>> Hello
>> Installing my programs on my brand new Laptop with W7.
>> Did the Easy File Transfer, wow really easy.
>> Now I'm installing my software. But I've noticed I have 2 Program
>> Files in
>> the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
>> Can someone please explain to me what this is?
>> The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with
>> (x86)
>>
>> Thank you

Bobby
8/14/2010 10:43:49 PM
Hi, J.

I've never used any version of the full Photoshop.  But I've used a few
versions of Photoshop Elements, from bout 2.0 to 8.0 now.  When we were
beta-testing Vista in 2005-6, I had a very hard time getting PSE4 to install
and run in Vista x64.  Finally, in late 2006, just as Vista was going RTM,
Adobe got PSE4 to run in 64- bit Vista.  Since then, I have installed and
run PSE6 and now PSE8 in Vista x64 and Win7 x64 without any problems.

I agree with Bobby that Adobe should be the resource for making their
software work with 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.  The link I gave you earlier
should be a good starting point.  And please let us know about anything you
learn there so that we can help others with similar problems.

RC
--

"Dingbat"  wrote in message

Thanks so much for the update. I thought getting 64bit was going to make
things easier!
I am having trouble installing my PhotoshopCS4. It's telling  me it didn't
install properly. I'm wondering if installing programs is going to be
different then the usual way?
I've uninstalled it and am going to try again. Is there anything I should
know?

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, J.
>
> Bobby and Lorne explained the two program files folders very well.  ;<)
>
> But you might notice that a few programs are in both of those folders. For
> example, Internet Explorer is in both:
> 32.bit version:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
> 64.bit version:    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>
> This is not a mistake.  Win7 really does include two editions of IE8.  You
> can run either - or both - even side by side.  To see which one you are
> running at any moment, just click Help | About Internet Explorer.  If the
> Version line doesn't say "64-bit Edition", then you are running the 32-bit
> Edition, which doesn't mention "bitness" at all.
>
> Win7 arrives with the 32-bit version set to run by default.  This is
> because a few applications have not been updated to run in a 64-bit
> browser.  The most glaring example is Adobe Flash Player.  If you try to
> watch a YouTube or other video and get an offer to "install the Flash
> Player", you might as well refuse because repeated attempts will just
> bring you back to the same place.  Just copy the URL from the Address Box,
> Start 32-bit IE8, then paste in the address and watch the video.  (See
> Adobe's explanation at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html ).
>
> RC
>

> "Dingbat"  wrote in message
>
> Hello
> Installing my programs on my brand new Laptop with W7.
> Did the Easy File Transfer, wow really easy.
> Now I'm installing my software. But I've noticed I have 2 Program Files in
> the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
> Can someone please explain to me what this is?
> The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with (x86)
>
> Thank you

See
http://community.adobe.com/help/search.html?searchterm=troubleshoot+cs4+install&q=troubleshoot+cs4+install&l=creativesuite_product_adobelr&x=0&y=0&area=0&lr=en_US&hl=en_US
and note http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html.

On 14/08/2010 22:58, Dingbat wrote:
> Thanks so much for the update. I thought getting 64bit was going to make
> things easier!
> I am having trouble installing my PhotoshopCS4. It's telling me it
> didn't install properly. I'm wondering if installing programs is going
> to be different then the usual way?
> I've uninstalled it and am going to try again. Is there anything I
> should know?
>
> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, J.
>>
>> Bobby and Lorne explained the two program files folders very well. ;<)
>>
>> But you might notice that a few programs are in both of those folders.
>> For example, Internet Explorer is in both:
>> 32.bit version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>> 64.bit version: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>>
>> This is not a mistake. Win7 really does include two editions of IE8.
>> You can run either - or both - even side by side. To see which one you
>> are running at any moment, just click Help | About Internet Explorer.
>> If the Version line doesn't say "64-bit Edition", then you are running
>> the 32-bit Edition, which doesn't mention "bitness" at all.
>>
>> Win7 arrives with the 32-bit version set to run by default. This is
>> because a few applications have not been updated to run in a 64-bit
>> browser. The most glaring example is Adobe Flash Player. If you try to
>> watch a YouTube or other video and get an offer to "install the Flash
>> Player", you might as well refuse because repeated attempts will just
>> bring you back to the same place. Just copy the URL from the Address
>> Box, Start 32-bit IE8, then paste in the address and watch the video.
>> (See Adobe's explanation at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html ).
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@grandecom.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64
>>

>> "Dingbat" wrote in message
>>
>> Hello
>> Installing my programs on my brand new Laptop with W7.
>> Did the Easy File Transfer, wow really easy.
>> Now I'm installing my software. But I've noticed I have 2 Program
>> Files in
>> the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
>> Can someone please explain to me what this is?
>> The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with
>> (x86)
>>
>> Thank you

Dominic
8/15/2010 7:27:00 AM
Found the problem!
looking into the link Dominic, sent I found this
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/28521

What happened is that when i got my new machine,  I got rid of the pesky
'public folders'  but luckily I'm not the only one!  but it turns out Adobe
can't cope without them.  So I've reinstated them, then reinstalled CS4 and
it worked!

Thanks to all  for your help

"Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> See
> http://community.adobe.com/help/search.html?searchterm=troubleshoot+cs4+install&q=troubleshoot+cs4+install&l=creativesuite_product_adobelr&x=0&y=0&area=0&lr=en_US&hl=en_US
> and note http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html.
>

> On 14/08/2010 22:58, Dingbat wrote:
>> Thanks so much for the update. I thought getting 64bit was going to make
>> things easier!
>> I am having trouble installing my PhotoshopCS4. It's telling me it
>> didn't install properly. I'm wondering if installing programs is going
>> to be different then the usual way?
>> I've uninstalled it and am going to try again. Is there anything I
>> should know?
>>
>> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi, J.
>>>
>>> Bobby and Lorne explained the two program files folders very well. ;<)
>>>
>>> But you might notice that a few programs are in both of those folders.
>>> For example, Internet Explorer is in both:
>>> 32.bit version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>>> 64.bit version: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>>>
>>> This is not a mistake. Win7 really does include two editions of IE8.
>>> You can run either - or both - even side by side. To see which one you
>>> are running at any moment, just click Help | About Internet Explorer.
>>> If the Version line doesn't say "64-bit Edition", then you are running
>>> the 32-bit Edition, which doesn't mention "bitness" at all.
>>>
>>> Win7 arrives with the 32-bit version set to run by default. This is
>>> because a few applications have not been updated to run in a 64-bit
>>> browser. The most glaring example is Adobe Flash Player. If you try to
>>> watch a YouTube or other video and get an offer to "install the Flash
>>> Player", you might as well refuse because repeated attempts will just
>>> bring you back to the same place. Just copy the URL from the Address
>>> Box, Start 32-bit IE8, then paste in the address and watch the video.
>>> (See Adobe's explanation at
>>> http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html ).
>>>
>>> RC
>>> --
>>> R. C. White, CPA
>>> San Marcos, TX
>>> rc@grandecom.net
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>>> Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64
>>>

>>> "Dingbat" wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hello
>>> Installing my programs on my brand new Laptop with W7.
>>> Did the Easy File Transfer, wow really easy.
>>> Now I'm installing my software. But I've noticed I have 2 Program
>>> Files in
>>> the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
>>> Can someone please explain to me what this is?
>>> The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with
>>> (x86)
>>>
>>> Thank you

Dingbat
8/15/2010 9:55:11 AM
HI, J.

Thanks for the feedback.  That link probably won't do anything for me, since
PSE8 works fine, but other CS4 users should find it very interesting..

Adobe did not even create a folder in my C:\Program Files (for 64-bit apps).
It did create C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe, and that contains a subfolder
for PSE8.0 and a separate one for Elements Organizer 8.0.  It also created
subfolder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\PhotoshopdotcomInspirationBrowser" -
I Copied'N'Pasted that to be sure I got the name just right.  And there's a
subfolder for Reader 9.0; it still has that name even after I accepted
Adobe's offer to update to 10.1 this morning.

RC
--

"Dingbat"  wrote in message

Found the problem!
looking into the link Dominic, sent I found this
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/28521

What happened is that when i got my new machine,  I got rid of the pesky
'public folders'  but luckily I'm not the only one!  but it turns out Adobe
can't cope without them.  So I've reinstated them, then reinstalled CS4 and
it worked!

Thanks to all  for your help

"Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> See
> http://community.adobe.com/help/search.html?searchterm=troubleshoot+cs4+install&q=troubleshoot+cs4+install&l=creativesuite_product_adobelr&x=0&y=0&area=0&lr=en_US&hl=en_US
> and note http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html.
>

> On 14/08/2010 22:58, Dingbat wrote:
>> Thanks so much for the update. I thought getting 64bit was going to make
>> things easier!
>> I am having trouble installing my PhotoshopCS4. It's telling me it
>> didn't install properly. I'm wondering if installing programs is going
>> to be different then the usual way?
2>> I've uninstalled it and am going to try again. Is there anything I
>> should know?
>>
>> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi, J.
>>>
>>> Bobby and Lorne explained the two program files folders very well. ;<)
>>>
>>> But you might notice that a few programs are in both of those folders.
>>> For example, Internet Explorer is in both:
>>> 32.bit version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>>> 64.bit version: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>>>
>>> This is not a mistake. Win7 really does include two editions of IE8.
>>> You can run either - or both - even side by side. To see which one you
>>> are running at any moment, just click Help | About Internet Explorer.
>>> If the Version line doesn't say "64-bit Edition", then you are running
>>> the 32-bit Edition, which doesn't mention "bitness" at all.
>>>
>>> Win7 arrives with the 32-bit version set to run by default. This is
>>> because a few applications have not been updated to run in a 64-bit
>>> browser. The most glaring example is Adobe Flash Player. If you try to
>>> watch a YouTube or other video and get an offer to "install the Flash
>>> Player", you might as well refuse because repeated attempts will just
>>> bring you back to the same place. Just copy the URL from the Address
>>> Box, Start 32-bit IE8, then paste in the address and watch the video.
>>> (See Adobe's explanation at
>>> http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html ).
>>>
>>> RC
>>>

>>> "Dingbat" wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hello
>>> Installing my programs on my brand new Laptop with W7.
>>> Did the Easy File Transfer, wow really easy.
>>> Now I'm installing my software. But I've noticed I have 2 Program
>>> Files in
>>> the C drive. One is "Program Files" and one is "Program Files(x86)"
>>> Can someone please explain to me what this is?
>>> The first software I installed automatically pointed to the one with
>>> (x86)
>>>
>>> Thank you

Re: Magic Indian Oil for MEN! Free Trial #2
Real Magic Indian Oil from traditional Indian herbs. FREE TRIAL FOR 500 customers (5ml bottle), Ring +91 9810577227 ...

1.2 danish -> 3.0 english
Is this possible ? Jack ...

reports question #2
Hi How do I generate a report that will tell me how many store credits (or Gift Certificates) have been issued/redeemed in a givin time frame? I have a report "Detailed Sales with Tax & Tender" but the only problem is it does not show more than one tender type per transaction. So if a customer combines two tender types only one is shown. Thanks throw me a bone?...anyone cheers "christian" wrote: > Hi > > How do I generate a report that will tell me how many store credits (or Gift > Certificates) have been issued/redeemed in a givin time frame? &...

Bulk Import Wizard for Leads Issue
Hi, I am trying to import Lead records using a CSV file containing around 3,000 records. I have tested with around 20 records (taken from the larger file) and it imports fine but when I select the the 3,000 record file for import the wizard gives an error message somthing like (sorry don't have exact wording) 'Source Import file is corrupt'. Are there any known issues with CSV files such as the following : 1) Special characters such as an asterix not handled 2) Email and Website type fields must all be correctly formatted? 3) File is too large Thanks for your help in adva...

Sharing Outlook #2

How to transpose in excel file

excel file can't be opened #2

MBF file won't open...am I hosed???
In my previous computer I had a flaky hard drive. While it still worked I backed up all my important files to CD's and DVD's. Since I dutifully backed up my MNY file (to two locations) each time I used my Money 2001 I didn't think to copy my MNY file I merely copied the MBF files from those locations. Once, I had to use that an MBF file as my MNY file was corrupt and it worked flawlessly. I saw no reason why it shouldn't do so again. Plus I was in panic mode to get all the data possible from the dying HD. Now that I have a new computer I installed my copy of MM 2001 and wh...

Can't restor backup file, "Please insert the next backup disk.....
I have money 2005 backup file (.mbf) and my original file has gotten corrupted somehow and can't repair it (computer hung and had to be restarted). Whenever I try to restor the backup file, I get the following message, Window Title: Money Multiple Disk Backup Message: Please insert the next backup disk. (The disk containing file "".) I was backing up on a different connected single harddrive and there is only one file. The file is not in multiple pieces and on different drives. When I click OK, it doesn't do anything and cancel just stops the process. I even down...

"Object not found" error and Archive Folders
I am battling hard to find who on this planet knows this one I have a rogue 'Archive Folder' living next to my Personal Folders tha I am unable to remove - when I select 'Close "Archive Folders"' th following error dialog is displayed "The operation failed. An object could not be found I've got Outlook 2003 (Office Pro Edition) running on XP Pro - with al and latest updates. I've verified I can add and remove other datafile with no issue - this is also my default archive folder. To explain further, the archive folder in question is the same one a spe...

Copy Public Folders
I am trying to make a copy of some Public folders on an Exchange 5.5 server using Outlook 2000. It starts copying and stops, saying an unknown error has occurred. I am using the administrator mailbox which is the Service Administrator in Exchange. I can view, open, and make changes to the items in the Public Folders. Any ideas? "David Hurst" <11dhurst@123vecelliogroup.com> wrote in news:ur2q9bY8DHA.2952@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl: > I am trying to make a copy of some Public folders on an Exchange 5.5 > server using Outlook 2000. > It starts copying and stops, saying an...

The easiest way to get free cash! #2
<HTML> <HEAD> <META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft DHTML Editing Control"> <TITLE></TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <P>Hi all,</P> <P>I became a member of an interesting free website that is totally unique. It actually rewards its members for learning! You can learn lots of important things and earn rewards taking fun quizzes, plus earn cash for other activities! Membership is free, and people of all ages and educational backgrounds everywhere can become members and participate at their own level. It�s called �It P...

Select Multiple Folders
I have an Excel application, where the user can browse to a folder and process all the documents in that folder. I use the Office 10 FileDialog object (FolderPicker) to allow the user to do this with an easily recognizable dialog box. The problem is, the users would like to select multiple folders at a time (which FolderPicker does not allow). I could allow them Browse and select a folder, add it to a list, then Browse again and add to the list, then Browse again, but that would be a long tedious process. Is there anything that would allow me to select multiple folders at a time, similar to...

Emails in queue #2
Hello, I have exchange 2003 installed on windows 2003. The problem is as follows It seems to be working fine then all of a sudden the messages pending for submission starts to fill up and all the clients get a message in their outlook stating "outlook is trying to retreive data from the microsoft exchange server". The onky way to resolve this is by rebootong the computer. Any ideas? Thansk You need to identify where the performance bottleneck is. The following link should get you started http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/e2k3perf.mspx In a...

How do you check out a file from a link
I have received a link to an excel file stored in a SharePoint library. When I open the file the option to 'check out the file' does not appear at the top of my screen. This function does work for a word document in the same library. Please can you advise. Thanks With your browser, go to the Library where the document is located and check out from there. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 16/04/10 15:44, Tracey T wrote: > I have received a link to an excel file stored in a SharePoint library. When > I open the file the option to 'check out the fi...

2 spaces as a typo in PowerPoint 2007
Is there any to have 2 spaces be a typo in PowerPoint 2007 like it is in Word? Yup, under Office button choose PowerPoint Options from the bottom right corner. From the new menu choose Proofing. Under AutoCorrect Options... you have the opportunity to add various typos you wish PowerPoint to correct. Kristiina AndyA wrote: >Is there any to have 2 spaces be a typo in PowerPoint 2007 like it is in Word? -- I help with Excel and PowerPoint Office ToDo http://www.officetodo.com Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/powerpoint/201005/1 ...

OWA deleting Public Folder Store
Hi I am trying to delete the Public Folder Store on my owa server but when i try to "Move All Replicas" ready to delete the store i received the below errors. Event Type: Error Event Source: EXAdmin Event Category: (14) Event ID: 9175 The following information is part of the event: OpenMsgStore, The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed. The MAPI provider failed. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 8004011d-0512-00000000. Figured this might be because i had deleted the mailbox store first so i have now created a new mailbox stor...

Deleting Multiple Public Folders
Hi Folks; I have Exchange 2000 installed and I had configured a newsfeed. That made about 65,000 public folders and I later decided to remove the newsfeed. I can delete the folders one by one but I can't seem to delete them all en masse. Does anyone know how to efficiently delete these public folders? Unsubscribing from the newsfeed first, of course. Can you delete multiples using Outlook? "Marvin Miller" <sales@real.com> wrote in message news:e49WxLcYGHA.4884@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi Folks; > > I have Exchange 2000 installed and I had configured a news...

Edit mailbox size limit message #2
Hi All, We have Exchange 2003, Outlook 2k on desktop. We limit mailboxes to 100mb and issue a warning at 75mb, in order to give them enough of a cahnce to archive, delete, etc. My question is, can we edit the message that comes from the "System Administrator" to use our own verbage? Users get confused with the message because it says "Mailbox size limits: You will receive a warning when your mailbox reaches 75000 KB.You may not be able to send or receive new mail until you reduce your mailbox size." They think this message means they won't be able to send or receiv...

Public Folder Calendar Reminders
We use MS-Exchange with Outlook in our organization. Further, we have set up a group calendar using public folders in Exchange to track group appointments. We enter appointments into this group folder and then invite the applicable people to the appointment. We have been unable to configure the folder to automatically set reminders for these appointments when we enter them. Any suggestions? ...

Cannot install RMS 2.0 Service Pack 2
I have created a VM with Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition (SP2) in order to test on it the integration between GP and RMS (HQ and Store Operations). Currently I need to update RMS to Service Pack 2 because one of the store databases which I am using for testing was backed up from a system using RMS SP2. The problem is that when I am trying to install the service pack I am getting an error saying "The update cannot be applied". Any ideas why this could be happening? Any help is greatly appreciated. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_...

Rename project file
Hello, How do you rename a project file? TIA, Jacques If you're still using version 6 this program works pretty well. http://www.ucancode.net/Products/free%20product/toolbox.htm Tom "Jacques Cooper" <jcooper@jcsoftware.net> wrote in message news:eYU%23fWSSDHA.2852@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > How do you rename a project file? > > TIA, > Jacques > > ...

Remember Personal Folders View?
Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but my previous message on this topic seems to have disappeared from the newsgroup. I'm running Outlook 2003, and have my personal folders expanded a certain way. For example: A ---A1 ---A2 B C ---C1 D If I collapse folder "C" and close Outlook (and even reboot the machine), the next time I come into Outlook, folder "C" still shows as expanded. Is there any way to get Outlook to remember the last view? Thanks, John Schneider Does anyone even have a guess as to how this works? "John Schneider" <JohnDONTSPAMME.Schn...